PDA

View Full Version : Audio, Kit for aftermarket headunit

mysticbluex3
04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Thinking about getting the pioneer nav/cd/dvd head unit. Anyone know who makes a install kit for BMW? Basically like a craddle that takes the place and shape of the OEM BMW radio but with a rectangluar hole in it for aftermarket headunits.

Laosk
04-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Thinking about getting the pioneer nav/cd/dvd head unit. Anyone know who makes a install kit for BMW? Basically like a craddle that takes the place and shape of the OEM BMW radio but with a rectangluar hole in it for aftermarket headunits.

Was going to suggest you post it in "Audio Upgrades & Other In-Car Electronics", but I noticed you already did that.

Crossposter! :p

mysticbluex3
04-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Sorry, I wasn't getting any feedback there either =(

tromar1
05-06-2005, 08:54 AM
I was hoping that you received an answer to your question regarding a aftermarket installation mounting kit. I too am changing my stock unit for a Pioneer AVIC-N2 with the associated 6 disc DVD changer, headrest monitors, voice control pack, reverse mode camera, etc.

However, the installer noted that there are no aftermarket kit and that he would have to fabricate one for me at a substantial cost. Did you ever found one? I have searched high and low and have come to the conclusion that there are none in existence...let me know what you found. Thanks in advance.

mysticbluex3
05-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I've been seraching the web and hitting up a few forums but nothing so far. However, I haven't contacted any audio places yet. How much are they charging you for a custom housing kit?

tromar1
05-06-2005, 06:13 PM
I've been working on a solution all week. The installer from Tweeter said he'd charge me a minimum of $200 to fabricate a kit. So after checking numberous BMW postings, internet sites and companies, I finally began making some headway.

A poster on E46Fanatics pointed out to me that although no company currently makes an installation mounting kit for the X3, http://www.metraonline.com/ makes a kit for the Z4 which should fit because the radios are similar, if not the same on the face. My dealership parts dept said the Z4 & X3 radios are different part #'s. However, at the cost of only $20 for the Z4 kit, i'm willing to try it. See the below links for the similarities.

X3
http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/Media/photo_type_int/12/series_id_int/39001

Z4
http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/action/Media/photo_type_int/12/series_id_int/38565

mysticbluex3
05-09-2005, 08:53 AM
good ****! it does look like the same thing, just differen't color. Let me know how that works out for you and post some pictures after the install. I would love to see how it looks w/ the new system. I personally will have to wait a couple months. Mother's day set me back quite a pretty penny. =*(

tromar1
05-10-2005, 04:01 PM
good ****! it does look like the same thing, just differen't color. Let me know how that works out for you and post some pictures after the install. I would love to see how it looks w/ the new system. I personally will have to wait a couple months. Mother's day set me back quite a pretty penny. =*(
I agree on the Mother's Day part... As for the upgrade, It is currently being worked on. The Z4 radio color difference may be due to lighting. The mounting kit is the only part I am waiting on, so i'm curious to see the color. Nonetheless, the installer said he could paint the face to match the dash. Worse case scenario, he has to fabricate a face from fiberglass.

Also, the installer had me purchase a Soundgate CAN-BUS speed interface so as to hook up the Nav. Model # CAN02BUS. Also, I had to get a steering wheel interface to preserve the BMW steering wheel button function.

I can't wait to post pics. I am having headrest monitors, rearview cam, voice command, steering wheel functionality, Nav (with the over ride to have the unit up front play while the car is in motion), wireless headphones...

mysticbluex3
05-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Thats great! Now all you need is a reciever for 5.1 Dobly Digital for your movies. HAHAHAHAHA.

tromar1
05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
I don't think my kids would appreciate 5.1 DTC. Update, the Z4 mounting kit from metra is a perfect fit for the X3. The color match is nearly perfect. Will keep you posted after the install.

mysticbluex3
05-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Glad to hear the Z4 kit is a perfect fit :thumbup: . Do you have the part number from metra? You said you are also geting the rear camera. Do you know if the screen would automatically switch to the rear camera everytime you throw the car in reverse or do you have to manually select to the rear camera?

Laosk
05-12-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm dying waiting for the pictures...
:)

tromar1
05-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen:

I have done it. Well kind of...My initial installer was a not qualified to touch a BMW. He didn't put my trim back properly. And, the DVD changer doesn't show picture...only sound. I have contracted another company to rectify all the mistakes made. Apparently, not every one who claims to be a certified installer is actually one. For example, he cannot figure out how to make my current steering wheel functionality remain, eventhough I provided all the necessary equipment.

The new installer stated he would try his best to give me my steering buttons back...however, the AVIC-N2 comes with a steering wheel remote. (pics forthcoming).

The rearview cam is great. When you shift to reverse, it automatically comes on. However, you can select Nav/Rear view as an option and monitor your back while driving...when you shift into reverse it then goes to full view mode. When you shift back to Drive, it goes back to split screen of the Nav Map and the rear view. I mounted that unit myself.

As promised, I will post pics. I'm just waiting for all the work to be completed. Finally, I called Metra and told them that the Z4 kit is a perfect fit for the X3. They were very appreciative and noted that their sales force will be updated not to turn X3 customers away but recommend the Z4 kit.

Will post pics soon.

mysticbluex3
06-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Pics? I'm dying to see what it looks like and how everything fits. Thanks man.

tromar1
06-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Pics? I'm dying to see what it looks like and how everything fits. Thanks man.
Sorry for the delay. I have been enjoying the upgrade and neglected posting pics. I'll do so as soon as I figure out how to reduce the size of the pics. The kids (Hunter 4.5 & Skylar 2) don't want to leave the car now.

It has been a learning experience. There were so many other parts to this install that I was unaware of. For ex. video switcher, etc.

The most important thing about upgrading the AV is to get a reputable installer. I took my X from the initial installer before he had the chance to completely F**K my car up. The second installer was much more professional and took the care a BMW deserve. While running wires they have to remove panels, trim,and screws. You'd be surprized at how many screws and fasteners that never gets replaced. It's a good thing the fasteners only cost a $1 a piece.

I'll take all the pics tomorrow and post them later that night.

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Here it is...My X now has a Pioneer AVIC-N2 head unit, Pioneer 6 disc DVD changer, Rear view Cam, Voice activation, Game plus, video switcher, headrest monitors, wireless Headphones...

Getting the head unit, monitors, and DVD changer is only half the battle. I needed a speed sensor (CanBus02), Z4 mounting installation kit, Peswix-steering wheel radio control interface, Kenwood video switcher, power inverter & video enhancer. Then, figure out where you want stuff installed, ex. the Nav antenna, wireless headphone IR, rear view camera.

The game plus took the spot for the rear seat cigarette lighter, So I had the lighter unit placed in the center console. A broken BMW key ring became a Logo for the cup holder. The eye for the peswix interface was place under the cup holder-facing the head unit so that my steering wheel buttons still worked. The voice command mic is in the unit beside BMW Assist.

All in all, I'm happy with the upgrade. My only caveat is that one should get a great installer...and watch every move they make....Ask me about the mistakes they made later.

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:46 AM
More pics

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Can you dig it?

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Almost done...

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:52 AM
As promised

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:55 AM
here we go again.

tromar1
06-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Well, the journey started with a desire to add only headrest monitors and a DVD changer. It evolved into a new head unit, video game port, rear view cam and voice command, yada yada yada.

Rob V
06-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Wow. :yikes: You have more gadgetry in your car than I have in my entire living room. Good job!

tromar1
06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Wow. :yikes: You have more gadgetry in your car than I have in my entire living room. Good job!
Thanks Rob! I have a son who needs to be entertained while in the car or he'd never stop distracting me. My wife, however, seems to think it was all for me...she may be right.

The second set of installers joked that I may have watched too many episodes of MTV's "Pimp my ride." I thought it was the norm, but they informed me that my upgrades were more than the usual.

Bobak
06-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Wow!!! Your car is beauty!! :thumbup: A few questions: ...does the TV Function in the car work? If yes, How many channels can you get, how does it work (No wires for cables obviously...so how?) and can the rear passengers get the tv too? and...May I ask aprox. how much this costed you?

tromar1
06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow!!! Your car is beauty!! :thumbup: A few questions: ...does the TV Function in the car work? If yes, How many channels can you get, how does it work (No wires for cables obviously...so how?) and can the rear passengers get the tv too? and...May I ask aprox. how much this costed you?Hello Bobak: Yes, the TV function works. However, I would need to install the optional TV tuner. At this point, the TV tuner is an add-on and would be connected to the hide away unit which is installed behind the glove box (pics of hide away included). THe amount of channels is dependent on your local over-air availability, ex. NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. The reception is not that great because the car is mobile and the receptions is being received via an antenna. There are satellite options. I've seen ads for that plus my neighbor claims to have it...I have not seen his. Cost for the TV tuner is between $95-$300. I would use the Pioneer considering I already have the Pioneer head unit and DVD changer, which would preserve my touch screen and remote control options.

The rear passengers have all the luck. THey can watch different programs. For ex, my son plays video game while my daughter watches Baby Mozart dvd. This is all while I am listening to the radio and watching the nav screen provide voice directions. I can have the DVD changer play on one monitor, and the head unit play on another. The video switcher provides the options for different sources from the DVD changer, DVD player in the head unit, AUX, or the optional TV tuner. Of course, the kids have on their wireless headphones, (channel A & B for different audio output).

Cost: The Pioneer AVIC-N2 retails for approx. $1999. I searched high & low and got it for $1400 tax-free. I bought it from Bay Coban (mgr) at http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ He was very trust worthy and acted in a the capacity as a consultant regarding intall, options, etc. He at times didn't charge me shipping. I negotiated a package deal for the N2, steering wheel remote a& voice command pack, and rear view camera for a total of $1650.

The XDV-P90 6-disc DVD changer = $680. Kenwood video switcher = $200. Soundgate CanBus02 speed sensor interface = $200. Two monitors = 400. Power inverter game port = $90. Peswix steering wheel interface = $63. Pioneer CD-R11 remote = $75. DVD Remote = $60. BMW Z4 mounit installation kit = $15. Wires, harnesses for the radio, cables, and misc = 200. Installation = $1200. Plus, I feel like i'm forgetting something.

tromar1
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Funny you should say that...you should see my family room...400 disc DVD player...5.1 dolby...52" wide-screen. Suffice it to say, I have not been to the movies in about 3 yrs considering I have one at home.

mysticbluex3
02-03-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51556&d=1118040460

Right now your headunit is sitting out a bit. Is there a way to recess the headunit so the face is flush? I love to do this mod by I hate how it sits out like that when the screen is retracted. Here is a pic of the unit recessed behind the dash on a 330.

http://homepage.mac.com/ryanslee23/.Pictures/My%20System/DSC01885.JPG

tromar1
02-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Right now your headunit is sitting out a bit. Is there a way to recess the headunit so the face is flush? I love to do this mod by I hate how it sits out like that when the screen is retracted. Here is a pic of the unit recessed behind the dash on a 330.

Good point...I had the same thought also when I first saw how it sat out. I asked but they said it couldn't be done. One reason was the space on the inside...very tight fit. the other was that the unit was designed to sit out. Maybe a better installer could've figure something out.

Personally, I wished the X3 had a double din space. I prefer not to have the flip. I am having the AVIC-DI installed in the newly acquired C230 K.