PDA

View Full Version : who to contact if you won something in the raffle?

persiandude
04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
jon,

if someone were to win something in the raffle, a gift certificate for example, who should that person contact? the vendor themselves? in one of the few drawings that beewang didnt win :p i was able to come away with a gift certificate for some intrax springs? i am not sure who to contact regarding them.. thanks

BMWenthusiast
04-23-2005, 10:12 PM
that was crazy, how much $$$ of stuff did he get away with, like 2k?

allaboutme
04-23-2005, 11:26 PM
What did the guy win?

CaliJeff
04-23-2005, 11:59 PM
jon,

if someone were to win something in the raffle, a gift certificate for example, who should that person contact? the vendor themselves? in one of the few drawings that beewang didnt win :p i was able to come away with a gift certificate for some intrax springs? i am not sure who to contact regarding them.. thanksThere must have been some sort of mix up. You have to call Beewang directly and give those certificates to him. :rofl: :rofl:

In all seriousness though my understanding was that you had to contact the vendor for redemption. Congrats on the win!

Misha_S
04-24-2005, 01:16 AM
i also got super lucky and got something before beewang snagged it all.

i was lucky enough to score a gift pack from evosport.
including:
1.h&r sport spring set
2. dyno session
3. $100 of eurosport product

cool stuff. im not sure what im going to do with the stuff yet. i just bought springs for my ride so thats taken care of. the other stuff im not sure. i will be checking their site to see all the stuff available.

hey if there is any takers on those things let me know. i am willing to sell any of them.

misha

persiandude
04-24-2005, 03:19 AM
from what i saw beewang got bridgestone tires, radenergy carbon strut brace, stoptech brakes.. and some other stuff.. he had the best strategy, especially because he was the only one who bought that many tickets... it would have been different if others bought 100 tickets also... anyway congrats to him :rofl: and i will contact the vendor for my springs :D

funny enough.. i had just bought eibach springs for my car too...
i know someone who might want to buy your H&R springs if you are selling them, (he has an e46) email me if you are interested

beewang
04-24-2005, 05:13 AM
Man!! You guys are too funny!!:bustingup

Nah.... I just got lucky :) I did it for the Good cause to the Charity of Family Home Society in Santa Barbara. Being able to win a few things was just icing on the cake ;) Except for the tyres and the signed Team PTG poster, I couldn't use any of the stuff :eeps: I do thank the sponsors for the generous gifts they provided. Thnx for putting it together Jon :thumbup:

Dave 330i
04-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Man!! You guys are too funny!!:bustingup

Nah.... I just got lucky :) I did it for the Good cause to the Charity of Family Home Society in Santa Barbara. Being able to win a few things was just icing on the cake ;) Except for the tyres and the signed Team PTG poster, I couldn't use any of the stuff :eeps: I do thank the sponsors for the generous gifts they provided. Thnx for putting it together Jon :thumbup:
I still having met beewang after walking the place at least 10 times.

sky
04-24-2005, 12:39 PM
B'fest was a blast to attend and even better if you win something in the raffle. I was lucky enough
to get one of the prizes before the "Beewang-raffle-a-thon" got underway. When I looked inside the
envelope, I was stunned to see a $1000 gift certificate for I-Forged rims :yikes: :D . I wasn't
planning on purchasing rims anytime soon (but if I HAVE to, I may), so if any fellow
festers are going to purchase I-Forged rims in the near future, let me know or P.M. me.
(preferably So. Cal area).

Thanks again to Jon and crew, and all the sponsors for the their generous donations!!!:thumbup:

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 02:25 PM
jon,

if someone were to win something in the raffle, a gift certificate for example, who should that person contact? the vendor themselves? in one of the few drawings that beewang didnt win i was able to come away with a gift certificate for some intrax springs? i am not sure who to contact regarding them.. thanks

Regarding Intrax, please contact Thy You (prounounced "Tee"); her email address is ThyY@IntraxSuspension.com (ThyY@IntraxSuspension.com) or you can phone (949) 252-0800. Congrats on the win!!

:)

Gametrade
04-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Raffle = rigged

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Raffle = rigged
No way. The big winner (an accountant) purchased $500 worth of
tickets. Before pulling the trigger he determined how many total were
sold, and then estimated the probability of winning before he began
shelling out the dough... Just ask my wife...

My son pulled the winning ticket on every draw. As a father, how
would it look to my son if I cheated in front of thousands of people?

Gametrade
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Hmm....he said he only purchased 40 tickets. 40 x $5 = $200

If you say so though.....as long as a good charity benefited from it!!

persiandude
04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
i heard, from his buddy, that he did buy 500 worth... cant blame him for having the money and being smart with it :D , my friends and i thought about doing something similar but didnt have enough cash to make any significant influence on the outcome

i just lucked out with mine

alpinewhite325i
04-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Raffle = rigged
sore loser.

Kurt Martin
04-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Raffle = rigged
Exactly how was the raffle rigged then? Oh, you don't know, you are just stirring things up. I see. :thumbdwn:

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Hmm....he said he only purchased 40 tickets. 40 x $5 = $200

If you say so though.....as long as a good charity benefited from it!!

He bought 100 tickets. Smart move considering the outcome...
(My wife, son, and daughter all helped write his name on the tickets)

·clyde·
04-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Seems a little unethical to allow those closely invovled with bimmerfest or bimmerfest.com (such as moderators) to even bid... :dunno:

Mathew
04-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Before pulling the trigger he determined how many total were
sold

Was that info common knowledge?

Kurt Martin
04-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Seems a little unethical to allow those closely invovled with bimmerfest or bimmerfest.com (such as moderators) to even bid... :dunno:
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Who are you even talking about? If Jon was entered in the raffle, that wouldn't seem right. But a moderator? Don't they just help out on the board, as a service, on their own time? For free? Why can't a moderator have the same chance to win the raffle as anybody else at bimmerfest? The moderators can't affect the drawing can they? :dunno:

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Seems a little unethical to allow those closely invovled
with bimmerfest or bimmerfest.com (such as moderators) to even bid...Kris L (Bimmerfest Moderator) also purchased a sh*tload of tickets and won.

I have no problem with the ethics behind anybody winning who
stepped up to support the needy of the local community.

Along the same lines somebody could argue that any of my friends
or acquaintances shouldn't be allowed in.

Quite a few of the winners were my previous
Cutter Motors customers or friends from the boards (e.g., Vince Topaz
Blau (Mr. Paddle Shift), or Matthew 330Ci, or Doeboy, Thrasherlife
to name a few.

That would rule out too many people from the drawing...

Maybe I should just tell the underprivileged spanish-speaking
beneficiaries of the opportunity drawing that there is just too
much controversy in such a simple thing as a charity raffle
for the BMW Community to help them...

SergioK
04-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Jon, pay no heed to these naysayers, they are just jealous they didn't win anything. :D

·clyde·
04-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Kris L (Bimmerfest Moderator) also purchased a sh*tload of tickets and won.

I have no problem with the ethics behind anybody winning who
stepped up to support the needy of the local community.

Along the same lines somebody could argue that any of my friends
or acquaintances shouldn't be allowed in.

Quite a few of the winners were my previous
Cutter Motors customers or friends from the boards (e.g., Vince Topaz
Blau (Mr. Paddle Shift), or Matthew 330Ci, or Doeboy, Thrasherlife
to name a few.

That would rule out too many people from the drawing...

I'm not suggesting that anything happening that wasn't square and above board.

OTOH, if I was someone that heard about bimmerfest somewhere else, attended, bought a couple raffle tickets and then watched one guy win a bunch of stuff...and later found out that he was a moderator here, I'd question the legitimacy of the raffle, regardless of how many tickets the guy bought. Swap hats with that guy, Jon, and so would you. So would anyone else. Anyone that says they wouldn't is lying, incredibly naive or knows for a fact that it was fixed.

Maybe I should just tell the underprivileged spanish-speaking
beneficiaries of the opportunity drawing that there is just too
much controversy in such a simple thing as a charity raffle
for the BMW Community to help them...

:rolleyes:

I'd wager that the vast majority of ticket buyers bought their tickets with no expectation of winning. If giving was so important to Kris and Bee, why wouldn't they have just made donations instead of playing to win? :dunno:

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 05:52 PM
If giving was so important to Kris and Bee, why wouldn't they have just made donations instead of playing to win?
I'm sure that they wanted to win something.

Bee really wanted to win the Hamann wheels.

Mr. The Edge
04-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Before pulling the trigger he determined how many total were
sold,
how did he do that?

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 06:10 PM
how did he do that?
He camped at the raffle stand for hours...

KrisL
04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm sure that they wanted to win something.

Bee really wanted to win the Hamann wheels.

....I was going for tires! I won twice - a Bimmian gift certificate and a set of Meguiar's detailing products. I'm totally stoked.

I actually won MORE times than Beewang statistically (I bought 20 tickets).

Kurt Martin
04-24-2005, 06:14 PM
how did he do that?
I assume he waited until near the end and simply asked how many tickets had been sold so far. Anybody was free to do the same.

Mr. The Edge
04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
I assume he waited until near the end and simply asked how many tickets had been sold so far. Anybody was free to do the same.
guess not

TGray5
04-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Maybe the tickets were numbered? No one else had the presence of mind to ask the question. You guys are just too much with your questioning and suspicions. Who would guess that someone would fault a guy for buying too many tickets for a charity raffle. Unreal.

·clyde·
04-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I think some people aren't actually listening to what's being said. :(

BillP
04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Maybe the tickets were numbered? No one else had the presence of mind to ask the question. You guys are just too much with your questioning and suspicions. Who would guess that someone would fault a guy for buying too many tickets for a charity raffle. Unreal.

The tickets were numbered.

Perhaps the complainers should have stayed awake in math class. Bee observed a massive disconnect between value and price, then took advantage of it. Rather than dishing out crap to Bee, folks should be kicking themselves for being too blind to see what he saw.

"Hmm, there is in excess of $10K in prizes, $2K worth of tickets sold so far, and only an hour left to buy raffle tickets. Doesn't that mean, on average, a $5 ticket has an expected value of more than $25? Even if they sell double that number of tickets, it is still a massive buy signal, right?"

You are correct, sir!

As it ends up, they sold another few $K worth of tickets, but the EV was still 2:1 or more.

Bill

BillP
04-24-2005, 07:45 PM

I agree that all employees should not participate nor should the family of employees.

So, the acid test is ... is Bee paid or related to anyone who is?

If so, he should not have participated. If not, then people should STFU.

Bill

TGray5
04-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I think some people aren't actually listening to what's being said. :(

Good way to dodge the issue...and until my computer reads posts to me...listening has nothing to do with it..and no there is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension either.

Mathew
04-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Good way to dodge the issue...and until my computer reads posts to me...listening has nothing to do with it..and no there is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension either.
Still, no one has answered the underlying question.

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Still, no one has answered the underlying question.
What is the underlying question. I'll get my wife (a CPA) who operates
under the highest ethical standards to answer it for you. She personally
handled raffle ticket sales. Winners were called by name and number.
There were 10's people standing literally within spitting distance watching
every move that was made. I can't believe the tone of this thread.

·clyde·
04-24-2005, 08:23 PM

I'm not dodging anything. I've been open and honest about my thoughts and laid things on the table a very clear and simple fashion.

On the other end, some people have been defensive, dismissive and refused to address the concerns other than to say "It wasn't fixed" (or similar).

Mathew
04-24-2005, 08:24 PM
I can't believe the tone of this thread.

Neither can I. I was not there, I don't know in what fashion the raffle was held, I am a neutral bystander, and I would simply like to know if there was any way anyone could get an unfair, insider advantage. I haven't seen anything confirming or denying it, just a regurgitation of common-knowledge math and others showing disgust. The only reason I ask is because, as clyde has been stating, to an outsider it does look unfair. So, set it straight and state to an outsider that it isn't and I'll take your word for it.

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Neither can I. I was not there, I don't know in what fashion the raffle was held, I am a neutral bystander, and I would simply like to know if there was any way anyone could get an unfair, insider advantage. I haven't seen anything confirming or denying it, just a regurgitation of common-knowledge math and others showing disgust. The only reason I ask is because, as clyde has been stating, to an outsider it looks unfair. So, set it straight and state to an outsider that it isn't and I'll take your word for it.
The Opportunity Drawing was legit.

Mathew
04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
The Opportunity Drawing was legit.
That wasn't so hard now, was it? :)

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 08:31 PM
:repost:

No way. The big winner (an accountant) purchased $500 worth of
tickets. Before pulling the trigger he determined how many total were
sold, and then estimated the probability of winning before he began
shelling out the dough... Just ask my wife...

My son pulled the winning ticket on every draw. As a father, how
would it look to my son if I cheated in front of thousands of people?

Mathew
04-24-2005, 08:38 PM
:repost:

I was trying to courteously wrap it up. But since you brought it up, the post which you have quoted is not entirely definitive because the only way you can estimate the probability is if you know the total number of tickets. But now that I understand such information was common knowledge, I don't have anything else to say, other than I believe it wasn't rigged.

TGray5
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Stop the madness! Read the thread

sky
04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I only bought $20 worth of tickets. I wasn't EXPECTING to win ANYTHING and basically wrote it
off as a donation to a worthy cause. It seems that we're getting off track here and concentrating
on winning prizes rather than what the raffle was all about. Hey, Beewang bought a ton of tickets
and he won a ton of prizes. So what? Anyone of us could have done the same. I recall Jon
announcing that they were short of their projected sales of the tickets and even delayed the raffle
20 mins to allow us to purchase more tickets. Well, I guess Beewang was the only one to do it.
Lets just end the controversy here. Hopefully, this won't have an effect on next year's raffle.

Misha_S
04-24-2005, 10:16 PM
i also only bought $20 worth of tickets and expected to just write it off as a donation. but i got super lucky and got some cool stuff.

misha

PhAzEd330
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I wanted the BBK from stoptech, but got the coils :D.

I put in $80 with my gf. If I didn't win anything...at least the money went to a good cause.

My friend and his gf put in $200, but not one of them won once. Guess it's just luck. :p

BTW: For the coils, who would I need to talk to in order to get them. The packet was from Wheel Power for H&R coilovers.

Thanks
Patrick

Jon Shafer
04-25-2005, 12:33 AM
I wanted the BBK from stoptech, but got the coils :D.

I put in $80 with my gf. If I didn't win anything...at least the money went to a good cause.

My friend and his gf put in $200, but not one of them won once. Guess it's just luck.

BTW: For the coils, who would I need to talk to in order to get them. The packet was from Wheel Power for H&R coilovers.
Congrats on the score Patrick!

:thumbup:

Please contact Tim Pak at Wheel Power: tim@wheelpower.com

AsianImage
04-25-2005, 12:50 AM
i also got super lucky and got something before beewang snagged it all.

i was lucky enough to score a gift pack from evosport.
including:
1.h&r sport spring set
2. dyno session
3. $100 of eurosport product

cool stuff. im not sure what im going to do with the stuff yet. i just bought springs for my ride so thats taken care of. the other stuff im not sure. i will be checking their site to see all the stuff available.

hey if there is any takers on those things let me know. i am willing to sell any of them.

misha

Hey Misha,

I sent you a PM regarding the Springs. I may be interested!

RKT BMR
04-25-2005, 12:04 PM
There are two "underlying questions" that have been raised here: Fraud, and Ethics.

To the first, shame on any of you that are accusing Jon or anyone else of fraud regarding the raffle, simply on the basis of the outcome, and that alone. The accusation you are leveling is very serious, so unless you actually have some bonafide evidence, please take accept my offer of some cheese to go with your whine and just go away. You're being a jerk.

As for the ethics question (raised by Clyde) w.r.t. moderators and other volunteers for the board being eligible to participate in the raffle, that's certainly a very gray area wide open to many positions none of which have a lock on "the truth" regarding above-board behavior.

Clyde makes a valid point regarding an "appearance" issue when someone connected in some way with the enterprise is a big winner in the raffle.

On the other hand, there is a quite reasonable segmentation between the Bimmerfest annual event and the operation of the on-line bboard as rather distinct entitites as well. As such, those who are part of the team making the bboard work for the on-line community, but have absolutely no involvement with the annual event, can be argued to be no different than any other attendee w.r.t. to participation.

That's how I see it, so I don't see any legitimate conflict of interest, and therefore ethical problem with board mods being a part of the raffle and winning prizes.

Ågent99
04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
RKT_BMR nailed it pretty good. I am also a moderator here at 'fest and I put in $20 (4 tickets) fully expecting not to get anything and I wasn't dissappointed! :mad:

The ticket buying was being run by the lovely Mrs. Kari Shafer with her kids as assistants and it was all set up in one corner of the dealership on a little table and wire-caged spinning cylinder (raffle box) into which all the tickets were immediately placed after purchase and after writing you name on them.

The roll of tickets and a money box along with some pens were all that was sitting on the table along with the raffle box and a list of the 50 or so prizes and their values. There was also a large poster board of the charity we were all donating to.

Everyone at 'fest had the same opportunity to count tickets, read the prize list, and make whatever donations they wanted based on whatever they felt like basing it on.

:)

So that is how it went down. I do not see how any fraud could have taken place by anyone.

As I said in another thread: beewang, until the tire win which was his last win of the raffle although not the last prizes given, had just barely broken even and we had to include the tax-deductable-ness of his donation to do that! :)

:D

There you go...all the facts...now make your decisions but this thread has no reason to continue in the rather unpleasent tone it has taken....

weoilmen
04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Bimmerfest was a Total Blast! :beerchug: I had the most fun I have had in years. The sunburned face was more than worth it. This was my first Bimmerfest and you can bet that my son and I will be back next year.
Jon, having to do the logistic for Bimmerfest, had to be a nightmare. :bow:
I, myself, having coordinated get-togethers with over a hundred folks is not an easy thing to pull off. Then getting vendors to kick-in is also another logistic achievement. One I do not like doing at all
Yes, I won (I donated freely) the His and Her Z4 Watches. (Hmmmm) I see a possible mod here? Can I change them into ///M? That would be really cool. But thank you for them. I only bought eight tickets.
I also know of a couple that only bought four tickets and won an air induction system, a front and rear strut bar, and some very good wine.
As for helping writing names on the tickets, had I been there I would have also helped. As for using your family to help sell tickets who else would you ask? (It's a no brainer.) (No harm meant of any kind to any of your friends.) :)

What I see that is very positive is that next year's raffle will bring in even more funds for the Charity, which is the very reason we had the raffle and that the Vendors so graciously contributed.
Thanks to all of you good people. We had a great time. We helped some folks. I met a lot of great people and saw a lot of really cool cars.
Mike :thumbup:

sky
04-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Hey Jon,

Who should I contact for the iForged gift certificate?:dunno:

Thanks,

Jon Shafer
04-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Hey Jon,

Who should I contact for the iForged gift certificate?:dunno:

Thanks,
Sky,

Try Vince Wong: vwong@iforged.com (vwong@iforged.com) (714)484-1070 ext 111

Vince is da man!

Gladius
04-29-2005, 11:32 AM
My wife (the one from Denver) won twice and we only bought 5 tickets. I guess we got lucky, considering the number of tickets sold (over 1000).

Thanks Jon and others who put all the effort into this event. We had a blast and winning twice was just icing on the cake. I hope you don't pay too much heed to all the folks in this thread who are complaining.

Now, I just need to find someone who can use the two things I won (riotracing discount and e6designs gift cert.) since they don't make anything for my car (that I could tell from their websites).

a4kasper
04-29-2005, 05:18 PM
And Beewang didn't win the Stoptech's. My friend Chris purchased $20 in tickets and won them..lucky b@stard.

sky
04-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Sky,

Try Vince Wong: vwong@iforged.com (vwong@iforged.com) (714)484-1070 ext 111

Vince is da man!

Thanks, Jon!!!!!:D

azn_m5
05-01-2005, 08:01 PM
And Beewang didn't win the Stoptech's. My friend Chris purchased $20 in tickets and won them..lucky b@stard.

Damn right I did...and my front kit is on the way, 14.2 inches of big brake happiness.

Jon, the 'Fest was awesome this year and it was a pleasure chatting with you at Denny's before heading back to the desert with the AZ crew.

Can't wait until next year, BFest 2006 w00t w00t! :bigpimp:

a4kasper
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
what are you doing about the rear?

azn_m5
05-02-2005, 12:12 AM
what are you doing about the rear?

Probably won't get rear...planning to get different wheels, won't be able to fit rear for a very bling reason... :bigpimp:

a4kasper
05-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Do I smell 5in of lip??? That would look hot!

marvelphx
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
It is sad to think that after all the work that everyone put in to make Bimmerfest happen, we get hints of accusations that the raffle was rigged. What purpose would that serve? Who benefits from it?

Bimmerfest is a close-knit community of soft and die-hard BMW enthusiasts who once a year come together to share that devotion in a very open and diverse environment.

Between Jon, Scott, and myself, there is more than enough passion to make it the best show we can. I, myself, bought $20 worth of raffle tickets... not to win anything, but to donate to the Family Services. And I am *more* than directly involved in the show. Had I won, I would have reveled in getting picked, then given the prize to the next ticket pulled. It is fun to get picked and hear your name announced!

And by the way, I was watching Jon from behind while helping get the prizes ready and could read the tickets over his shoulder as he announced them. Sometimes I reacted before the name was read (oops!), but he conducted the raffle fair and square.

As for beewang, Bernard had a 1 in 12 chance of winning a prize on every pull; I'd say those are pretty damn good odds for a $500 investment and a $20k+ prize pool. My poor lonely 4 tickets gave me 1 in about 300. The math doesn't make it hard to understand why he was so successful.