PDA

View Full Version : Why the complaints re: exterior styling?

thelookingglass
04-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I finally had the chance to see the 5-series in the flesh (new bimmer owner here ... slow on the scene) and I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. The headlights look fantastically aggressive as do the rear lights. The car just has a very classy, innovative look to it. Hopefully I can jump into one soon!

Ågent99
04-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Do you mean other than the fact that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,"....

;)

For me, the car's exterior had to grow on me and now I like it just fine. The interior was still a sore spot.

Then I did a ED on a 545i and was in awe at how it drove and handled and I don't even remember much about the interior except that it is a part of this incredibly amazing car!

:D

thelookingglass
04-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, yeah, tastes differ ... but this car has evoked some seriously negative sentiment and I can't see why. So it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not ugly!

andys120
04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
but I just can't get past the Dame Edna headlights, if it weren't for them I'd like it fine. The
E60 just came in 10th in Click and Clack's (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/uglycar/winners.html) Ugliest Cars of 2005 vote. IMO it's inconcievable that could've happened to the E39 or E46. :(

wagonman
04-30-2005, 07:32 PM
the 5 series sedan looks great from the front. i have no problem with the cat-eye headlights. they look cool. the back looks good as well. i like the way the rear lights angle inwards.

from the side view is a different story. the car looks bulky and not very cohesive. it's almost like the designers focused all their effort on the front and rear. i know some have an issue with the front headlights...i think the real issue is the lines (or lacktheorof) from the side.

wagon looks better. cleaner lines and eliminates the bulkiness from the side. maybe the next incarnation will be better. can u say 2010? :thumbup:

Scorp76
05-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.

Just ignore it. It's a silly little bandwagon that everyone's jumped on, is all. People love to hate BMW designs now, but praise truly ugly shiet like the CLS, SLK, etc.

The 5 series is the sweetest looking of the new BMWs to me. I love that shot of it in this month's R&T where it's next to the Altima45 and Maxima430 because it proves just how much better looking the 5 is.

swchang
05-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Headlights, unattractive. Taillights, poor imitation of Subaru Impreza tails. Grille, looks tacky. Nose, so curvy it looks like the head of a penis. I guess it improves aerodynamics, which is cool, but I dunno...

bmw325
05-07-2005, 10:31 PM
at first I hated the whole design. NOw, the only parts I can't stand are the interior and front-end. Maybe after mid-cycle facelift they'll improve these 2 areas. I don't mind the rear or sides as much as I once did.

wagonman
05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
the front and back look great!!! the issue with the 5 series is from the side. it looks like the designers took a coffee break and never came back :bigpimp:

check out the e61 (wagon) when it comes out this summer. the elongation of the body is a real improvement over the sedan..

swchang
05-07-2005, 10:45 PM
at first I hated the whole design. NOw, the only parts I can't stand are the interior and front-end. Maybe after mid-cycle facelift they'll improve these 2 areas. I don't mind the rear or sides as much as I once did.

I don't think a mid-cycle facelift will change enough that I'd be interested in the car. Same goes for the E65 (although that facelift has already been released). Besides the design of the interiors, I felt the quality of materials used was sorely lacking in both.

Scorp76
05-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Nose, so curvy it looks like the head of a penis. I guess it improves aerodynamics, which is cool, but I dunno...
You sound like you'd know better than most.

swchang
05-07-2005, 11:23 PM
You sound like you'd know better than most.

I am male, so yes, I do know what a penis looks like. Are you admitting that you don't? :p

Scorp76
05-08-2005, 12:25 AM
I am male, so yes, I do know what a penis looks like. Are you admitting that you don't? :p

Interesting choice of smilies given the topic. Wonder what Freud would have to say about that.

swchang
05-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Interesting choice of smilies given the topic. Wonder what Freud would have to say about that.
Still stuck in the oral phase? :gay:

JG
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
the front and back look great!!! the issue with the 5 series is from the side. it looks like the designers took a coffee break and never came back :bigpimp:

check out the e61 (wagon) when it comes out this summer. the elongation of the body is a real improvement over the sedan..

I sat in a 530xi wagon last week (at an E90 unveiling no less), and it looks fantastic. Thankfully everyone else was waiting to sit in the E90 and the 5 was being ignored. What a perfect combination of driving machine, all wheel, and practicality.

Regarding the Bangled 5 in general - I can remember how intimidating it was when a just then released black 5, screamed up into my rear view mirror - and sped past.

It had a ton of presence.

The flame sides and skirts tend to make all the current designs including the E90 a tad chunky from the side. I like the look however and how the light plays off the flame surfaces.