PDA

View Full Version : Jon, what was the final # of cars on the road rally?

timers
04-24-2005, 06:50 PM
I could have sworn I saw your wagon on the side of the road, counting the cars after the rally took off after the 154.

Anyone got a final number on this, or how many total cars came out? I would LOVE to know this. Thanks.

Kaz
04-24-2005, 06:56 PM
IMO it's impossible to get a count anything more than +/- 10% for the road rally. Believe me, we've tried. But at the photo point at the bridge, we counted somwehere around 220 or so.

timers
04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
haha, what was funny, was this guy I was talking to during the rally, at the 154 spot. And hes like "ya last year, there was 997 cars or so on the rally" and i was just thinking "bull****" the entire time.

997 is A LOT, and last year there wasnt as much as this year, so ya, anyother number besides 220? did you guys at bridge get any shots of the cars?

Colin Campbell
04-24-2005, 07:04 PM
My wife and I rode with Viv and Mark Sumner in their beautiful Steel Blue 2003 E39 as we did the loop in the opposite direction. We came to the CA 154 / US 101 intersection just as the caravan was getting off of 101. Jon was out of his car as we went by, and we got a lot of waves from our buddies.

My approximate count of cars already off the freeway was 100. As we negotiated the interchange, I rough counted well over 200 more cars still lined up to get off the freeway. Way back at the back, it was hard to tell how many cars were part of the caravan, as they were mixed in with the other traffic (and three CHP vehicles), and it was all slowed down or stopped.

So, I'm pretty sure the count was over 300.

We also passed a turnout on 154 where 5 - 10 E39's were parked, probably having gone "opposite" as we did, and waiting for the big show to come to them.

This business of going against the flow is a secret of the E39 bunch, not to be used by anyone else at future Bimmerfests, so just forget it was ever mentioned!

Kaz
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
haha, what was funny, was this guy I was talking to during the rally, at the 154 spot. And hes like "ya last year, there was 997 cars or so on the rally" and i was just thinking "bull****" the entire time.

997 is A LOT, and last year there wasnt as much as this year, so ya, anyother number besides 220? did you guys at bridge get any shots of the cars?

Last year, I believe the number was in the 170s.

I went up to the usual lookout point early on with a few others who were planning on taking photos. We got a call when the group was moving out from the 154 offramp. Obviously there could have been cars that went well ahead that we missed, and those who were well behind, but the main chunk was that 220ish number. I'm pretty sure that between all the photographers, every one of those cars got a pic taken.

And every year there are a handful of 'innocent' BMWs that get caught in the line but have nothing to do with the event.

Jon Shafer
04-24-2005, 07:49 PM
I could have sworn I saw your wagon on the side of the road, counting the cars after the rally took off after the 154.

Anyone got a final number on this, or how many total cars came out? I would LOVE to know this. Thanks.
We pulled over to try to get a count. It is really tough to do, having tried
now for five years in a row.

Best estimate bet. 300 - 350.

scottn2retro
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
The only place -and maybe I'll get a chance to do this some day - to get a good count is to be at the top of the on ramp at Refugio and count them as they leave to start the rally. Some people that live up north may leave from the 101 / 154 intersection.

Maybe next year we can get one of those clicker counters and arrange to have someone do it.

SergioK
04-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Even better, just setup a tripod and a videocam... you'll have it documented AND the ability to lazily count the cars via the comfort of your living room couch. :D

timers
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
ok, 300-350 sounds about right i guess. thanks.

Cliff
04-24-2005, 10:26 PM
IMO it's impossible to get a count anything more than +/- 10% for the road rally. Believe me, we've tried. But at the photo point at the bridge, we counted somwehere around 220 or so.
More than that Kaz - I'd say more like 270 or so. I have 286 captures including some early exposure test-type throwaways and I know I missed a few late cars (including Tristan's new to him 318Ti).

Inv3ctiv3
04-24-2005, 10:57 PM
There were wayyyyyyy more then 300 cars.

E30Alex
04-24-2005, 11:33 PM
More than that Kaz - I'd say more like 270 or so. I have 286 captures including some early exposure test-type throwaways and I know I missed a few late cars (including Tristan's new to him 318Ti).

You took pictures of all the cars? Do you happen to have a gallery up? I would love to get a picture of my car in motion :thumbup:

Cliff
04-25-2005, 02:16 AM
You took pictures of all the cars? Do you happen to have a gallery up? I would love to get a picture of my car in motion :thumbup:
Yes, not yet, and I would imagine, respectively.

RKT BMR
04-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Yes, not yet, and I would imagine, respectively.Ham :p :D