PDA

View Full Version : 2005 bimmerfest

E30 325IS
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
beautiful cars but still too many stock cars on the lot. half of the lot looked like any other day

Terry Kennedy
04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
beautiful cars but still too many stock cars on the lot. half of the lot looked like any other dayI wasn't there so I can't say for sure if this applies, but if you walked past my car (http://www.tmk.com/bmw) and only looked at the outside, you wouldn't see anything special. Yet at last year's 'fest it got a lot of attention from people who looked inside.

sendittoryan
04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
I disagree...half the lot didn't look like ordinary cars, they looked like Pick-A-Part. The section of E21's was a disgrace. I'm not talking about the beautiful green show winner, but there were cars there that hadn't been washed in years, and drivers sitting on the roof with food all over the hood. Then on the drive, these same "enthusiasts" drove by with mufflers off their mom's vacuum cleaners...vooommmmmm voommmmmm. Very disappointing event. I had hope for nice clean cool cars with some practicle mods, not battle of the boom boxes.

One last note....if the music being played by the Sirius Satalite Radio guys was what you get with their service (rap rap rap), let's hope the satalite becomes more space junk. :thumbdwn:

To each his own, but you sound like a 50 year old male that hates kids.

asura0s9
04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
there are people attending from multiple forums, and different forums have different takes on "modding."

You can't really expect anything else if there's a competitive show event with prizes.

E30 325IS
04-25-2005, 01:32 PM
I disagree...half the lot didn't look like ordinary cars, they looked like Pick-A-Part. The section of E21's was a disgrace. I'm not talking about the beautiful green show winner, but there were cars there that hadn't been washed in years, and drivers sitting on the roof with food all over the hood. Then on the drive, these same "enthusiasts" drove by with mufflers off their mom's vacuum cleaners...vooommmmmm voommmmmm. Very disappointing event. I had hope for nice clean cool cars with some practicle mods, not battle of the boom boxes.

One last note....if the music being played by the Sirius Satalite Radio guys was what you get with their service (rap rap rap), let's hope the satalite becomes more space junk. :thumbdwn:

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT I THINK IT WAS NICE TO SEE CARS YOU DON'T SEE EVERYDAY. ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF ALL THE E30 M3'S WERE NOTHING BUT E46 M3'S WITH CLEAR CORNERS AND WHEELS. MY CAR GOT BLOCKED OUT OF SIGHT ALONG WITH MY TECH'S 91 EURO DINAN M5 BY 2 E36 STOCK WITH CHEAP RIMS.
ALSO ALOT OF NICE CARS DIDN'T MAKE IT ON THE LOT THAT SHOULD HAVE.

dallasfan824
04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
As a former event planner, I can understand what it takes to pull this off. I heard Sirius play an array of music from rock to oldies to techno to pop. I do think that one E21 was a joke. But unless Jon has a large staff to pull this off, people dont have the right to complain too much. Entrance fee is nothing and you get free lunch.

This was my first bimmerfest and it wont be my last. I had a great time.

MPoweredKid
04-25-2005, 02:48 PM
i dont understand the big issue here.

you saw a stock car, big f'ing deal. i'd be willing to say that the person coming to bimmerfest with the stock car is more of an enthusiast than you will ever be.

the people who come to actually "show off" their car ARE NOT enthusiasts.

its the people that make the 200 mile trip with their stock 325 that actually appreciate the herritage of bmw's. and isnt that what the day was about? a gathering of bmw enthusiasts rather than showing who has the deepest wallet.

czechm3out
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM

you saw a stock car, big f'ing deal. i'd be willing to say that the person coming to bimmerfest with the stock car is more of an enthusiast than you will ever be.

its the people that make the 200 mile trip with their stock 325 that actually appreciate the herritage of bmw's. and isnt that what the day was about? a gathering of bmw enthusiasts rather than showing who has the deepest wallet.

well said

dallasfan824
04-25-2005, 03:29 PM

As the owner of a bone stock 325 who drove over 100 miles each way, I totally agree.

jvr826
04-25-2005, 04:03 PM

I was at the first one in 1999 with my bone stock 528i. Back then it was more like you describe it. I'm most impressed with the ancient cars in stock form looking as good as new. There was one I saw with 403,000 miles in 100% original condition - stunning! As were the 635csi's near it, man, BMW sure built some timeless designs back then. I think that part of the lot was my favorite.

I do appreciate tasteful modifications, improvements upon the original product that enhance the driving experience. I'm more of a "wolf in sheep's clothing" kinda guy when it comes to that stuff. A little bling never hurt anyone (i.e. a nice set of wheels and tires) which there were alot of cars like that on the lot. Some of the stuff is seriously OTT and not my taste, but it may be for other folks. I like the more stealthy stuff.

To me Bimmerfest is an opportunity to meet up with people you may see only once a year, meet new people you run into on the various forums, and sample some of the wears tuners are offering. Personally I got to demo 2 short-shift kits, get some ideas for audio equipment updates, and look at different interior trim options, plus see some wheels I've seen online up close and personal. The road rally is always fun, yet gets bashed year after year because of a few folks who can't resist temptation for an hour and a half. Considering all the other stuff that was going on in Santa Barbara this weekend, I'd say the town handled the influx of folks quite well.

I didn't make it last year when it was at the fair grounds, so I can't compare it to the event held at the dealership. However, visiting Santa Barbara is a bit of a homecoming for me and my car. I have purchased 2 cars from that dealership since 1999 and will be taking delivery of my 3rd within a few weeks. They are THE class act as far as I'm concerned.

E30 325IS
04-25-2005, 04:12 PM

SOMEONE ELSE HAS A POINT, THAT IT IS FREE TO GET IN WHICH IS AWESOME. HOPE YOU ARN'T SAYING I'M NOT AN ENTHUSIAST. I WORK FOR BMW, AND HAPPENED TO DRIVE 2 HOURS THERE AND 2 HOURS BACK. I KNOW PEOPLE DROVE FROM MUCH FURTHER BUT YOU CAN'T BE MUCH MORE ENTHUSIASTIC THAN THAT. THE EVENT COORDINATOR SAID THAT CARS THAT ARE NOT STOCK WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE LOT UNLESS THEY WERE CLASSICS, BUT I UNDERSTAND HE DOESN'T HAVE THE MAN POWER TO ENFORCE THAT. IT IS A GREAT OPERTUNITY FOR BMW OWNERS AND BMW LOVERS TO GET TOGETHER, BUT DON'T PUT CARS THAT ARE STOCK BESIDES CLASSICS ON A LOT THAT IS VERY LIMITED. THE PEOPLE THOSE DROVE SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES CAN SEE THOSE ANYWHERE

BoostedE21
04-25-2005, 05:30 PM

OH i see how it is, talking about bunch of ****. Why didnt you have enough balls to tell us that or better yet me? I guess you have to have a "show winner" to get respect. Well i'll tel you what we built the cars, we didnt give it to someone and say here is 60k do what ever. Get a life man!

jvr826
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
OH i see how it is, talking about bunch of ****. Why didnt you have enough balls to tell us that or better yet me? I guess you have to have a "show winner" to get respect. Well i'll tel you what we built the cars, we didnt give it to someone and say here is 60k do what ever. Get a life man!

Dude, your cars were beautiful! I was in the hotel lot near you on Friday night and gave cudos to your bud with the green E21 for a fine collection. You guys do nice work!

Blacksheep
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
I'll be 50 on Saturday. I thought the tunes were good. middle of the road stuff which could offend everyone equally. The tunes were good. Last year I wasn't into the band but that's my age showing.

I thought the show was great, BUT, think of me with a Z-3. There wasn't too much available for us. Since I drive the canyons and have caught my share of rocks, I would have liked to see paint and bodywork vendors. (Bimmerfest Discount!?) Anyone with anything for the Z's would have been cool. Z3 Solution or Strong Strut? It sucks being in the minority!

Meguiars sent some stuff for the raffle but I wanted to ask them in person why they put a great product in a crappy bottle which cracks if you drop it! That and because they have good swag.

The advantage to everyone being on the lot in my opinion is that then we can PERSONALLY show off our ride. I have chips and stuff but I'm proud of my car.

It's a driver!

E30 325IS
04-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm Not Talking Smack To Anyone. I Love Bmw's, If I Didn't, I Wouldn't Work For Bmw. All I Am Saying Is That With Limited Space On The Lot I Would Like To Have Seen Something Different Than What I See Everyday. There Were Alot Of Cool Things People Did To There Cars. Things I Have Never Seen, Whether They Did It Themselves Or Paid Someone To Do It For Them. My Car And A Tech That Works With Me Got Out Cars Blocked Out Of Sight From Cars That Had Only Rims. With All The Stuff We Have Done To Our Cars, Hopeing To Show Them Off A Little, And All The Other People Like Me That Couldn't Get On The Lot,was Disappointing. Besides That All Was Great.

MattE21
04-26-2005, 12:09 AM
The section of E21's was a disgrace. I'm not talking about the beautiful green show winner, but there were cars there that hadn't been washed in years, and drivers sitting on the roof with food all over the hood. Then on the drive, these same "enthusiasts" drove by with mufflers off their mom's vacuum cleaners...vooommmmmm voommmmmm.

:spank: For the record, none of us have "vacum cleaner" mufflers. Pull the tampon out of your ass and get off the soapbox.

Next year get your 02 buddies together and show the E21 legion up then. :dunno:

BLitZeD310
04-26-2005, 12:23 AM

Which 02 was yours?

So many haters :rolleyes:

04-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Which 02 was yours?

So many haters :rolleyes:
Hey, that's not cool, I never hated on the e21 guys! I love em all. Why you hating on the 002ers? Also, 2002 guy above, you are a bit old skool, get some new shoes man! :thumbdwn:

alpinewhite325i
04-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Come on guys..all this BS isn't in the Bimmerfest tradition.

uberpanzer
04-26-2005, 04:35 AM
Come on guys..all this BS isn't in the Bimmerfest tradition.
You're right, the comments quoted below are NOT in the Bimmerfest tradition.

...half the lot didn't look like ordinary cars, they looked like Pick-A-Part. The section of E21's was a disgrace. I'm not talking about the beautiful green show winner, but there were cars there that hadn't been washed in years, and drivers sitting on the roof with food all over the hood. Then on the drive, these same "enthusiasts" drove by with mufflers off their mom's vacuum cleaners...vooommmmmm voommmmmm. Very disappointing event. I had hope for nice clean cool cars with some practicle mods, not battle of the boom boxes.

I could get into a flame war over this, but I'm not going to sink to that level. What I will say is that the e21 folks had fun, as did our friends that came by and hung out with us and those people that decided to talk to us about our cars to find out about them. You, however, must have been one of those rude, closed minded, stuck up snobs that would rather make harsh comments about the e21's thinking that the owners were not within earshot. If you knew anything about us, the individual history of the cars (not the e21 chassis, but the particular cars), or the types of things we do with the cars (shows, daily driving, autoX, etc), you might not have insulted your fellow BMW fans so harshly. We were at Bimmerfest, we are on this board, so the ONLY thing I can think of is that you are LOOKING to get into a pissing contest.

It almost sounds like you are bitter about something....

LWRNCE
04-26-2005, 07:45 AM
I think he is just mad because he couldnt park on the lot :dunno:

Jon Shafer
04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
If I can be allowed to weigh in here I'd like to add my $02.

The credo of Bimmerfest is "Bringing The BMW Community Together".
When I walked the grounds of the event on Saturday it appearded (to me)
as though that objective had been met...

We had representation of pretty much every type or class/category of BMW
enthusiast at The 'Fest - ranging from classic 2002's and CSL's - E21's - E28's
- E30's, ... all the way through probably the largest-ever assembly of E46 M3's.
We had it all -- M5's, 645's, and one of the most bad-assed Z8's too. There
were club racers, Auberlen's TMS racecar, Steve Dinan's personal M5, and
the Finlay Motorsports Daytona Prototype. On the Road Rally we were joined
by an E60 M5, and an E90. Coincidence?!?! I don't think so...

My point is this: anybody who feels that so-and-so shouldn't have been allowed
to park on the lot, or whatever, doesn't "get" the spirit of Bimmerfest...

04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
I think he is just mad because he couldnt park on the lot :dunno:
LMAO! True... :)

antetr95
04-26-2005, 09:03 AM
If I can be allowed to weigh in here I'd like to add my $02.

The credo of Bimmerfest is "Bringing The BMW Community Together".
When I walked the grounds of the event on Saturday it appearded (to me)
as though that objective had been met...

We had representation of pretty much every type or class/category of BMW
enthusiast at The 'Fest - ranging from classic 2002's and CSL's - E21's - E28's
- E30's, ... all the way through probably the largest-ever assembly of E46 M3's.
We had it all -- M5's, 645's, and one of the most bad-assed Z8's too. There
were club racers, Auberlen's TMS racecar, Steve Dinan's personal M5, and
the Finlay Motorsports Daytona Prototype. On the Road Rally we were joined
by an E60 M5, and an E90. Coincidence?!?! I don't think so...

My point is this: anybody who feels that so-and-so shouldn't have been allowed
to park on the lot, or whatever, doesn't "get" the spirit of Bimmerfest...

Well said Jon. Couldn't have said it any better.

elroy
04-26-2005, 10:09 AM

I mostly agree with you here. I was certainly more impressed with the cars that took some immagination and effort (ie, the older ones) than the ones that just took money. There were a ton of newer bling-bling M3's there.

However, I think the complaint is with the people who brought cars onto the lot that weren't show-quality. I saw some cars parked in surrounding lots and on the street, that should have been on the lot, and vise-versa. I think people just need to humble themselves a little, and park on the street if their car is a beater or is already well represented on the lot. Give room for the older/rarer/cleaner cars.

BLitZeD310
04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey, that's not cool, I never hated on the e21 guys! I love em all. Why you hating on the 002ers? Also, 2002 guy above, you are a bit old skool, get some new shoes man! :thumbdwn:

That was in no way intended to offend any owner. I just wanted to know which 02 he owned. I wasnt referring to anyone else as being a hater, just this one ignorant person.

kirkx5m
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
How about this: since parking seems to be a big issue along with who gets to park on the main lot, a few months before BF happens, pics of contenders are submitted for votes. top spots given to top guys....simple enough? each car models should be represented so there is no chance for all m3's to hog the space again , since it seems to be the biggest complaint...

BoostedE21
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
you missed my drift. The point I was making was that all registered participants rewceived the same email asking to allow classics and modified on the lot for display. Also asked that if you had a stock BMW, please use the overflow lots to allow the special interest cars the room needed. That didn't happen and it wqwsn't the staffs fault. I walked the streets and through the service department in back and saw some outrageous cars hidden from view. But out in the main lot, the crowd squeezed through acres of same-o, same-o cars. And as far as the guy with the smorgasbord on his hood, more power to him! I would have rather looked at another beautiful classic or modified than what he was having for lunch. And the guy on the drive with the vooommmm voommm muffler with his girk friend hanging out the window, does sound like my shop vac!

BTW...there were some very nice E21's in that line up, especially the 2nd place winner, but get some of those cars a bucket of suds and a towel, this was a car show!

One final thought....I love you guys....BMW drivers are the best!!! :)

I really dont see how we missed your drift. We understand you are pissed cause a pick-a-part E21 was parked on the lot, and not some M3 that can be seen on a daily basis and then started talking trash about the E21's. Next time you want to make a point just make it and not just talk a bunch of ****! I took that personal that you talked trash on others and my car, you only made reference to one E21 that you liked (the green one) when there where like 5+ other E21's there that looked awesome and each and everyone one of us built that car. We didnt give to someone and say, here is 60k, go do whatever you like, these guys worked on these cars themselves, how many E46 M3 owners do you think did as work themseleves and half of the E21 crew??. Next time, choose your words wisely and seem like your talking a bunch of trash :rolleyes:

04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
That was in no way intended to offend any owner. I just wanted to know which 02 he owned. I wasnt referring to anyone else as being a hater, just this one ignorant person.
I see, no problem! Yeah, he was being a hardass, a shame that he has to have an 02 so he makes the reasonable ones look bad. Don't worry no hard feelings, and I meant it light heartedly so it's all good! :)

elroy
04-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm Not Talking Smack To Anyone. I Love Bmw's, If I Didn't, I Wouldn't Work For Bmw. All I Am Saying Is That With Limited Space On The Lot I Would Like To Have Seen Something Different Than What I See Everyday. There Were Alot Of Cool Things People Did To There Cars. Things I Have Never Seen, Whether They Did It Themselves Or Paid Someone To Do It For Them. My Car And A Tech That Works With Me Got Out Cars Blocked Out Of Sight From Cars That Had Only Rims. With All The Stuff We Have Done To Our Cars, Hopeing To Show Them Off A Little, And All The Other People Like Me That Couldn't Get On The Lot,was Disappointing. Besides That All Was Great.

I Love Bmw's Almost As Much As I Love Word Caps!

uberpanzer
04-27-2005, 12:12 AM
...this was a car show!
Yet again, YOU have missed the point. This event is NOT a car show. Granted one of the activities going on is basically a car show, but it is one of the MANY events going on at Bimmerfest. If you want a car show and nothing else, please head to Hot Import Daze. If you want to attend an event where the goal is "Bringing The BMW Community Together", as the goal of Bimmerfest has been every year since 2000 (including the last 5 years that I've atteneded), then you were in the right place. But by the sound of your posts you still aren't grasping this simple concept.

To make you happy I will wash the car, clay bar it, wax it, and maybe even attend to some of the paint issue in the front (the car had been respayed by the previous owner a few too many times in non-original colors OVER the factory paint). But this will happen when I have the time to do it myself. Everything the car has modified has been done myself. This ranges from the gutting of the interior, AC and front bumper to cut down on weight, to the installation of the Recaro's, new control arms with stronger bushings, electric fan, fog lights (which included custom fabbing the mounts to house them in the holes that the front bumper shocks USED to occupy), intake, upgraded stereo (although bar bones to save on weight), the relocation of the battery, and the hardwiring of the Valentine 1 radar detector. The wheels are techinally a +2 sizing, and besides being period correct, are also a set of OZ Racing wheels that are NLA, wearing Falken Azenis Sports which are one of the stickiest street tires I can use in the class of autoX'ing I run the car in. My point is that I had more mods than some of the newer cars on the lot, larger upgrade in wheels (plus sizing, not overall diameter) and all of this was on a 23 year old car that is considered a classic. Had you looked more closely at the car instead of just complaining about the food on the hood and the lack of suds that have touched it, you might have realized this. Excuse the HELL out of me if I didn't wash it first FOR YOU.

Would you like to write the list of mods that a car is required to have in order to be allowed on the lot next year? That sure seems to be what you are getting at if the mods on our e21's weren't good enough, and heaven forbid if we don't meet YOUR standards. Every single e21 out there on the lot had mods, although granted some not as many as others. This is more than I can say for some of the other cars that were newer and let on the lot (not being counted as classic, show, rare, or otherwise). There were many cars on the lot, out on the rally, and all over Santa Barbara that had mods on them that I don't 'like'. But they are not on my car, and I am not going to slam them openly on a forum for an event that is suppose to be bringing us together as one BMW community. I was just happy to see that many BMW owners together for one event, having a wonderful time. But I guess we ruined it for you by having some e21's out there that didn't meet your standards.

(Although I'm still trying to figure out which car sounded like your shop vac, since only 3 of the e21's had girls in them: one with an older woman I imagine would NOT hang out the window, one with a girl that slept most of the rally, and the other was CJ's show winner. Funny though that if it was the 2nd car mentioned, all of us e21 people were commenting on how GOOD that car's exhaust sounded....)

Screw this, next time I'm bringing my M3 again so people can rag on it for having ONLY 4 cylinders. That's so much easier to deal with....

MR 325
04-27-2005, 12:49 AM
surfcitydude, you are a tool

TomDac
04-27-2005, 06:23 AM
How about this: since parking seems to be a big issue along with who gets to park on the main lot, a few months before BF happens, pics of contenders are submitted for votes. top spots given to top guys....simple enough? each car models should be represented so there is no chance for all m3's to hog the space again , since it seems to be the biggest complaint...

I like this idea...

E30 325IS
04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
I mostly agree with you here. I was certainly more impressed with the cars that took some immagination and effort (ie, the older ones) than the ones that just took money. There were a ton of newer bling-bling M3's there.

However, I think the complaint is with the people who brought cars onto the lot that weren't show-quality. I saw some cars parked in surrounding lots and on the street, that should have been on the lot, and vise-versa. I think people just need to humble themselves a little, and park on the street if their car is a beater or is already well represented on the lot. Give room for the older/rarer/cleaner cars.

I'M GLAD TO SEE SOMEONE GETS WHAT I AM SAYING. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANY BMW. NEW,OLDER,CLEAN OR A PIECE.

reelizmpro
04-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I was disappointed I couldn't get into the lot but then again I got there at 11am so I didn't expect to. There were sooooooo many nice cars parked on the street and in the store parking lot 1/4 mile away...it was a shame that the lot wasn't big enough for all of them. I guess it was first come first serve and if the E21 guys got together and got there early then more power to em. There's just way too many participants. Even if all of the cars on the lot were 'worthy' there would still be cars left out. If only we could extend the show by blocking off the street and using the street and arranging the cars better to get more of them on the lot. :thumbup:

Gladius
04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
1. This wasn't a car show, as someone else already pointed out.
2. "Bringing the BMW Community Together" - that means the blingers, the racers, the '02 purists, the enthusiasts, the guys who bought a 325 as a daily driver, the occaisonal AutoXer, the restorers, the HINers, the concours guys, the modders...you get the point.
3. Submitting photos and judging about who should get on the lot is a ludicrous idea. You want more hate and flaming next year? Then do that. People are already PO'ed that they couldn't get on the lot because someone with DDEs got in with his vendor buddy.
4. This really points out the fact that people want their car on the venue. If that's the biggest draw, then the organizers should play to it. Next year do it at a larger venue, let people get in and park earlier so that they can organize themselves (my wife and I thought it would be cool to have similiarly colored cars parked next to each other). People want their car to be SEEN, even if it's a mostly stock 330i ZHP.
5. With the huge number of attendees, I agree with another poster (the Z3 owner) who said a wider variety of vendors should be accessible next year. With this many BMW owners attending (what, near 1500?), what vendor wouldn't want the give their product that kind of exposure? On the same note - this is not a "hater" comment - it seems like there were a lot of "visual mod" vendors, would be nice to see more of the performance parts group. Jon, I would think that you have enough of a reputation at this point to get even more world class vendors at the event.

My M3 is an E46, is mostly stock, but I drove almost 1000 miles to make it. Damned if I wasn't going to park in the lot :)

RKT BMR
04-30-2005, 07:34 AM
To make you happy I will wash the car, clay bar it, wax it, and maybe even attend to some of the paint issue in the front (the car had been respayed by the previous owner a few too many times in non-original colors OVER the factory paint). But this will happen when I have the time to do it myself. Everything the car has modified has been done myself. This ranges from the gutting of the interior, AC and front bumper to cut down on weight, to the installation of the Recaro's, new control arms with stronger bushings, electric fan, fog lights (which included custom fabbing the mounts to house them in the holes that the front bumper shocks USED to occupy), intake, upgraded stereo (although bar bones to save on weight), the relocation of the battery, and the hardwiring of the Valentine 1 radar detector. The wheels are techinally a +2 sizing, and besides being period correct, are also a set of OZ Racing wheels that are NLA, wearing Falken Azenis Sports which are one of the stickiest street tires I can use in the class of autoX'ing I run the car in. My point is that I had more mods than some of the newer cars on the lot, larger upgrade in wheels (plus sizing, not overall diameter) and all of this was on a 23 year old car that is considered a classic. Had you looked more closely at the car instead of just complaining about the food on the hood and the lack of suds that have touched it, you might have realized this. Excuse the HELL out of me if I didn't wash it first FOR YOU.This captures the spirit of my participation in lot parking. Jon, of course, also succinctly put this all in perspective.

I was a bit sheepish about being on the lot this year. Have been every year, and give where my buddies and I ended up in the entry line, we were there on the lot again, like every year.

I'm very proud of my car, and one of the things I love doing at bimmerfest is talking about it. I'm proud for reasons similiar to those described above -- everything that's been done to it has been done by me, with the sweat of my own brow. I've done quite a bit -- installed a supercharger, sways, exhaust, shift kit; some minor cosmetics: body-colored front reflectors, clears, myrtle trim on the steering wheel; some unique things for a N. American car, like the euro version of the convertible alarm that includes the SDR motion sensors. Also, I'm a detailing fanatic, and have learned and developed excellent technique to keep my 2001 OB cab looking exceptional.

So, I'm very proud of all these things. It epitomizes, to me, one angle of what makes one an "enthusiast" -- a passion for their vehicle, and the brand. Yet, one of the things I also take pride in is that my car is a "sleeper" -- I have not done extensive visible mods, because I like the idea of transforming the car while keeping it, at first appearance, seeming stock.

So, should I be on the lot? I don't know. This is the first time in five years I've felt like maybe I shouldn't. In past years, my supercharger and self-install was a hot topic of conversation, and FI'd E46's weren't nearly as common as they were this year. I've seen the E46 mod space decidedly shift from performance changes to cosmetic/comfort changes. My car just seemed very plain in this environment.

Still, I had plenty of rich and engaging discussions with people that were interested and excited about what I had done with my car. A performance enhanced convertible is still a novelty to a degree, and interesting to people. In the end, the spirit of bringing people together to share and talk about their cars, rather than just go and look at vendor's cars which is what a car show is all about, seemed to be fulfilled.

Bimmerfest is a unique event that brings together some of the best aspects of a club meet and a car show. The mismatch between the dealership space and the size the event has grown to obviously presents some problems, but they're certainly not fatal. Some disgruntled people will always result, no matter where the event is held.

All that said, should the event be at the dealer again next year, I plan to park off-site. I've had my chance to show my baby and share my war stories, and I'm more than willing to give someone else a chance.

RKT BMR
04-30-2005, 07:40 AM
How about this: since parking seems to be a big issue along with who gets to park on the main lot, a few months before BF happens, pics of contenders are submitted for votes. top spots given to top guys....simple enough? each car models should be represented so there is no chance for all m3's to hog the space again , since it seems to be the biggest complaint...It's a good idea, but probably not practical given the logistics and staff involved.

I think we all will have to accept these minor imperfections in the event next year and beyond, and there will always be people that are unhappy about how it turned out. However, in the bigger picture anyone who's Bimmerfest experience is ruined by not getting on the lot really has missed the point of the show, and IMO is obsessed with a triviality... missing the forest for the trees.