PDA

View Full Version : The beewang rule

RKT BMR
04-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Much as we all love the Bee, his dominance in the raffle Saturday did get a bit tiresome and annoying. So, in the interest of making the raffle more vibrant and still preserving the value of buying lots of tickets to increase one's chances of winning, I propose the following rules (or some variant) be implemented next year for the raffle:

Prizes are categorized beforehand into two categories: "regular", and "grand prizes". The latter typically will have 2-4 possible drawings, and are things like the wheels, a brake kit, etc. The big stuff.
An individual can win up to two "regular" prizes and one "grand prize". Once the limit has been met, if one of their tickets is drawn, it is put back in the basket and drawing continues until someone else is pulled out.
This way, buying more tickets still increases your chances of winning; you don't get aced-out early on by hitting the limit while the little stuff is being raffled; still have a shot (a good one) at the big enchilada. However, it spreads the winning opportunity a bit more evenly, thereby providing the incentive for people who only want or can afford to buy a small number of tickets to participate -- which is the primary goal anyway.

I fear that Bee's performance this time around may supress people next year from participating. Not slagging on you at all, bee -- just trying to figure out how to make the Raffle more relevant and exciting for everyone, so that we can get as much participation as possible.

Jon Shafer
04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Help wanted.

:)

RKT BMR
04-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Help wanted.

:)Say the word, Jon, and I'm there!

Ågent99
04-25-2005, 09:38 AM
:rofl:

Well, I expected that bee's $500 "risk purchase" of raffle tickets would ruffle some feathers but anyone who could do a little math should have figured out that it was the thing to do.

Funny thing, had he not picked up the last set of tires, he would have only come out a little bit ahead...the tires put him way over the top.

However, let's remember that this was money given to a charity so feel good about that...bee does....

;)

arnolds
04-25-2005, 09:43 AM
:rofl:

Well, I expected that bee's $500 "risk purchase" of raffle tickets would ruffle some feathers but anyone who could do a little math should have figured out that it was the thing to do.

Funny thing, had he not picked up the last set of tires, he would have only come out a little bit ahead...the tires put him way over the top.

However, let's remember that this was money given to a charity so feel good about that...bee does....

;)

I think next year, we burn beewang at the stake for the finale. The winner of the grand prize gets to light the the stake. :rofl: :p

Kaz
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
My suggestion was that next year, Bee has to offer himself up as a free personal ED Guide to a lucky winner. :D

Ågent99
04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
My suggestion was that next year, Bee has to offer himself up as a free personal ED Guide to a lucky winner. :D
Excellent suggestion, Mr. Clunk! :bustingup

BillP
04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Your idea seems to make sense, but I believe it will only increase the "fun" factor, not the dollars raised.

The goal is to raise money for charity and - regardless of his motivation - Bee did more than anyone else there. As someone else pointed out in another thread, buying a large number of tickets was not a guarantee for profits (they bought 34 tickets compared to Bee's 100 yet won NOTHING).

I believe the raffle will collect MORE money next year, not less, as other like-minded people cough up more than a few bucks. Greed and charity are two sides of the same coin.

Bill

Ågent99
04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Here he is holding up the certificate of the prize he REALLY wanted (and needed):

The Bridgestone Tires!

Congrats, Bee! :D

RKT BMR
04-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Your idea seems to make sense, but I believe it will only increase the "fun" factor, not the dollars raised.Simply increasing the "fun" factor is reason enough, IMO, so I won't waste everyone's time arguing about the $$ return.