PDA

View Full Version : Making my M3 FASTER?

Bavarian46
04-26-2005, 01:37 AM
I have a 2005 M3 SMG and love it!
Money is low to spend on it (aprox. $2000.00). But wish to make it faster and keep my warranty happy.

1) What mods are there for an 05 M3 SMG?

2) Whats the best Cold Air intake?

3) Is a new exhaust an Option?

Pinecone
04-26-2005, 03:20 AM
BEST mod for that car, is get some GOOD driver training.

Jim Russell, Derek Daly, Bondurant, Skip Barber, Roos Racing, etc. Or BMW Performance Center 1 or 2 day Car Control, or M School.

You will get more out of the car by tuning the driver than you can get by hardware mods.

dawgbone
04-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, a CAI will only give you a ridiculous ricer sound, and most probably you will not feel the difference at all...I agree that the car is some what slow.. and you get easily comfortable with the power in no time..But the car is fun to drive..hense "The Ultimate Driving Machine". I say BMW got real close to that with the E46 M..
Regardless, you can only waste so much money on bolt-ons before you blow the motor up.. And really, the best, easiest, and cheaper way to go about making it faster, would be to rip out everything you just spent a pretty $ on...I.E. nice leather seats, crappy flat tire kit in the trunk, radio, hood and trunk(replaced with CF), carpet, console, armrest..etc...

I agree with Pinecone..get it out on the track...You'll like it even more..

Mr. The Edge
04-26-2005, 08:37 AM
I have a 2005 M3 SMG and love it!
Money is low to spend on it (aprox. $2000.00). But wish to make it faster and keep my warranty happy.

add as much lightness as you can

SergioK
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
I agree that the car is some what slow..

:tsk: Spend more time in a sub 200HP car! :D

.. and you get easily comfortable with the power in no time.

I think that's the reason we see so many M3s (the e36 and e46 variety) wadded up. You can't get 'comfortable' with high HP cars.

TeenerPaul
04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
:stupid:

Anyone who thinks that the e46 M3 is a little slow is down right crazy. Think back to when 200 hp was a high as it came, the good old days, wish I'd seen 'em. Drivers school would be the best bet, that and a manual. :D

Paul

SergioK
04-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, I can see the 'slow' point of view if all one is doing is driving in a straight line... whoohoo!

Add the element of turns, and yeah, the M3 becomes quite a capable car and yes, excelling at driving schools is the only way to learn to make that car come alive. Everyone else who looks at 0-60 times for that car is simply kidding themselves.

Bavarian46
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I dont think its slow :D I just want it to be faster, for the track use.
(SpEEDfreak)
Well... I will go to a couple of different classes and try to make my car lighter (carbonFIBER: hood, trunk...Interior trim?)

But still curious about what would be the best Cold air intake (even if I don’t feel a difference, it should help my engine...I think?)

And would a under pulley kit be worth the effort? It’s a Stock 2005 M3 SMG.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
:stupid:

Anyone who thinks that the e46 M3 is a little slow is down right crazy. Think back to when 200 hp was a high as it came, the good old days, wish I'd seen 'em. Drivers school would be the best bet, that and a manual. :D

Paul
It is slow. Getting wasted at the track by 'vettes, Turbos, and Ferraris is frustrating. I get held up in the corners and then wasted in the passing zones. No good.

SergioK
04-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Oh c'mon, you're comparing an I-6 to V-8s and Turbos?! The solution with those guys is easy... intimidation on the corners til they get it. Hell, why do you think they buy those cars in the first place. :D

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh c'mon, you're comparing an I-6 to V-8s and Turbos?! The solution with those guys is easy... intimidation on the corners til they get it. Hell, why do you think they buy those cars in the first place. :D
Sometimes intimidation doesn't work. And sometimes their car control so bad that I'm intimidated BEHIND them.

...and a couple of times, I've pitted and gotten folks black flagged for unbelievably poor driving.

dawgbone
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
:tsk: Spend more time in a sub 200HP car! :D
Rather not..

I think that's the reason we see so many M3s (the e36 and e46 variety) wadded up. You can't get 'comfortable' with high HP cars.

We're only talking about 333 at the crank..And then add the weight..Come rear wheel...there really isn't that much to work with..Fact is, is that the car lacks the TQ to haul it's heavy ass around...And why you're seeing people "wadding up" these cars, is because of the lack of knowledge and respect of high speed driving, not because of the HP..Not to mention that they're doing it on streets and not on a more practicle place..I.E. the nearest track..

As for the "comfortable" statement...It's the car that does that..It makes handling the whole 333 very predictable, and very easy to recover when things get a little out of shape through corners...

SergioK
04-26-2005, 04:21 PM
We're only talking about 333 at the crank..

:tsk: :rolleyes: Um... yeah... only 333. :eek:

If 'only' is to an M3 with it's 333hp, then 'ok' is to what... a 400hp car? That would make, 'better than ok'... a 500hp car? Get real. People who 'need' such high HP cars should, like I said, spend more time in a sub 200hp car. Who's sig said, "If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900 isn't going to do you any good"?

The HACK
04-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Who's sig said, "If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900 isn't going to do you any good"?
Roadstergal. Of course her car only makes what, 100hp on a good day with tail wind?

The HACK
04-26-2005, 04:34 PM
On the track, it's the driver that limit the speed of the car, not the car itself. Especially for beginning drivers. Start looking for more power and speed when you're an A or B student.

Trust me, when I had my 323Ci I was passing M3s and M5s AT WILL. That car only made 170 hp. You can try and make your M3 go faster mechanically, but you will still get your @ss handed to you day-in, day-out by a good driver.

Pinecone
04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
(SpEEDfreak)
Well... I will go to a couple of different classes and try to make my car lighter (carbonFIBER: hood, trunk...Interior trim?)

But still curious about what would be the best Cold air intake (even if I don***8217;t feel a difference, it should help my engine...I think?)

And would a under pulley kit be worth the effort? It***8217;s a Stock 2005 M3 SMG.

Trust me, the car is WAY faster than you can drive it. And it will be for a while. And then, for track speed you need brakes and tires, not HP. Then suspension, still not HP.

Spend time on the track first, then as you get to the limits of the car, then you will know what needs to be fixed and the order to fix it.

And guess what, cars with about 100 HP can leave you in the dust when driven properly.

Let's see, the E46 M3 runs T2 in SCCA, pretty much stock with R comp tires. VIR lap record for T2 is 2:13.855. The BMW E36 325 runs in ITS with more suspension mods, gutted interior, but pretty much stock engine, lap record is2:14.247, on less than 200 HP. I race Spec Racer Ford, purpose built race car, but with a whole 105 HP. Lap record at VIR is 2:14.211. How abou tthe BIG boys, SPO, cars like NASCAR road race chassis cars, tube frames, minimal body panels, pretty much all out racers, some 500 HP, 1:59.876. Hmm, get the picture, power is the least important thing.

Since no CAI adds significant power, and any such mod will void your engine warranty, why bother?

SergioK
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I know one person that ran full slicks at Infineon and this highly experienced club racer was astonished as to how amazingly fast the car was... with yes... only 333hp. :p

The HACK
04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Of course if you want raw speed, you could always buy a Porsche 996 Turbo. :dunno: :thumbup: You can even get them in automatic convertibles now. :thumbup: :thumbup: :rofl:

Bavarian46
04-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Trust me, the car is WAY faster than you can drive it. And it will be for a while. And then, for track speed you need brakes and tires, not HP. Then suspension, still not HP.

Spend time on the track first, then as you get to the limits of the car, then you will know what needs to be fixed and the order to fix it.

And guess what, cars with about 100 HP can leave you in the dust when driven properly.

Granted a good driver will always prevail over a bad driver, also I’m not claiming to be an autox champion here…but I do know my car and how to drive it.

I guess I now REGRET getting a Stock M3, I should have gotten an M3 CSL or GTR Street version.

Since everybody keeps their M3 Stock (I guess every modified M3 at bimmerfest was a fake), does anybody know where I can buy CSL parts or GTR for a ’05 M3 SMG

bren
04-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Granted a good driver will always prevail over a bad driver, also I’m not claiming to be an autox champion here…but I do know my car and how to drive it.

I guess I now REGRET getting a Stock M3, I should have gotten an M3 CSL or GTR Street version.

Since everybody keep their M3 Stock (I guess every modified M3 at bimmerfest was a fake), does anybody know where I can buy CSL parts or GTR for a ’05 M3 SMG
:confused: Isn't Camarillo in CA? How would you have gotten the CSL? And the GTR?

Stuka
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM

What does "know my car and how to drive it" mean? :confused:

How many fahrschule have you attended? :dunno:

If the driver lags behind the car, what is the point of keep raising the bar of the performance potential of the M3? :tsk:

SergioK
04-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Since everybody keeps their M3 Stock (I guess every modified M3 at bimmerfest was a fake), does anybody know where I can buy CSL parts or GTR for a ’05 M3 SMG

:rofl: :bustingup :lmao:

No one is trying to say keep it 100% stock.

I've seen lots of students in 'fast cars' at HPDEs get their asses handed to them by lower hp cars. I've also seen lots of students in 'fast cars' driving reasonablly well but put them in a lower hp car, they would not be doing so well. In other words, upgrade the driver before upgrading the car.

Bavarian46
04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
:confused: Isn't Camarillo in CA? How would you have gotten the CSL? And the GTR?
Last time I checked yep Camarillo is in CALIFORNIA. And they are called Boats or should I say shipping vessels... Now have I check if I can import one...NO, but who is to say it cant be done? Apologies for the GTR… a little overboard, forgetAboutIT.

:rofl: :bustingup :lmao:

No one is trying to say keep it 100% stock.

I've seen lots of students in 'fast cars' at HPDEs get their asses handed to them by lower hp cars. I've also seen lots of students in 'fast cars' driving reasonablly well but put them in a lower hp car, they would not be doing so well. In other words, upgrade the driver before upgrading the car.

I apologies for giving the wrong intentions, my goal is not to beat every car on the track…if any at all, I don’t care if a Honda kills me…I don’t care for bragging rights. I just would like to see my car have more pull than stock…I guess more torque? Improved throttle response? That’s all.

I love my BMW, so everyone that gots one…Tell me…On those times when you have pushed the limits (don’t care where!) ever felt the need for more speed (of course more road too) even if its just a little bit more.

What does "know my car and how to drive it" mean? :confused:

How many fahrschule have you attended? :dunno:

Granted I must attend driving school (take offs, turns…whatever) remember there is street knowledge and Book knowledge. Not to say ones better than the other just that I don’t need to attend your fahrschule to know how to drive a car, learn something new YES learn a whole different way of doing something WHY NOT or just to fine tune it. Take a step back and look at my intensions.

OVERALL (this question is for actual M3 Owners that have modified their cars)
From the mods that have been installed, are their any regrets? Your opinion is appreciated.

Sorry late for dinner…will continue soon

SergioK
04-26-2005, 08:25 PM
My car's suspension was bone stock (and it's not even an M) and it wasn't til I made instructor rank that I modded it.

Now, you might not be as patient... but if I were to do any mods to an M3, perhaps I'd start with the suspension. Not sure though, since I don't need one, yet! :angel: :D

dawgbone
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
I know one person that ran full slicks at Infineon and this highly experienced club racer was astonished as to how amazingly fast the car was... with yes... only 333hp. :p

So an experienced driver, couldn't pull faster times with a faster car???

So when was the last time you smoked down the LS7(or LS6 for that matter), whether straight or laps?? :dunno:

Most people are too scared to touch the motor, so you have to find other places to make the car fast..ripping s?$% out, brakes, suspension upgrades, and tires...

SergioK
04-26-2005, 09:52 PM
If that's what makes you happy, go for it! :thumbup:

dawgbone
04-26-2005, 11:21 PM
If that's what makes you happy, go for it! :thumbup:

Guess I could have bought the 1100 , But I'm pretty sure that the 954 in my garage could smoke that down too(Given I learn how to ride the damn thing)..But a 323 with mods with a value over a stock M would justify everything.. :thumbup:

SergioK
04-27-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm absolutely sure the 954 would smoke my 1100, but I didn't buy it for sheer 0-60 times. I think the R1100S is the best sport tourer out there because it has everything I want and need in a motorcycle. Of course, to each his own. I don't focus so much on acceleration but more on ride characteristics (BMWs are notorious for their suspension geometry which is singularly the best, IMO).

Bavarian46
04-27-2005, 12:08 AM
My car's suspension was bone stock (and it's not even an M) and it wasn't til I made instructor rank that I modded it.

Now, you might not be as patient... but if I were to do any mods to an M3, perhaps I'd start with the suspension. Not sure though, since I don't need one, yet! :angel: :D

Thank you :) ditto on the suspension. Also since i got the 19" M rims on it, i dont think it would hurt to get lighter rims? and i dont know if it would be in my budget but still considering A ZMI Titanium/aluminum brake kit but i dont know too much about them.

If anybody has seen or used them, please comment.

or anything you think would help in my crusade?

Pinecone
04-27-2005, 03:42 AM
If you haven't had several track sessions, and now know exactly what you need, DON'T MOD THE CAR. You may THINK you know how to drive and to handle your car, but you don't.

If you have 19s plan on getting a set of light 18, if for no other reason more R-com tires are available.

If you aren't cooking the brakes with track pads, don't do anything to the brakes. Not everyone finds the stock brakes, with good pads and fluid to be a big problem Learn how to properly brake first.

As for engine mods, there is not much you can do to the engine to make more power without going forced induction or takingthe engine engine out, apart and building it from the ground up.

PTG's engine building claims 380 HP form a blueprint and conversion to MOTEC engine management. The MOTEC system is about $8000 itself. Nowack in Germany can get a claimed 404 DIN HP (about 395 - 398 US HP) by a complete top to bottom rebuild with replacing lots of parts. Costs about $15,000.

Headers, CAI, exhaust, software all give SMALL gains. Cams go a bit better. There just isn't a lot of cheap and easy power to get out of these engines, the factory did a heck of job making them put out over 100 HP per liter. If all you want to do is go faster in a straight line, you picked the wrong car to buy. The M3 is about balance and handling.

BTW you mention autocross, if you autocross or plan ot do so, get a copy of the rule books that people run to in your area. It is a royal pain to do something like the ZMI brakes on your car, then find you are running Prepared or Modified against fully prepped cars that arrive on a trailer.

BTW the CSL is not US legal (carbon fiber roof and bumpers), and definately not CA legal (not designed or certified to US emissions specs). The GTR hasn't been made for several years, and was a bit expensive. Not sure if it ever was US legal.

Now if you save your money, you can contact Hartge and have them do a 5 liter V8 swap into the car. That car will do an honest 200+ MPH according to a Euro tuner shootout held last year. Shouldn't be more than $20,000 - $30,000 or so.

wbmwf1
04-27-2005, 04:29 AM

Hey, If you want a little more push on your M3 you can go to the turner website and look for the carbon fiber intake and shark injector. Then look for the Borla exhaust on Ebay, you might want to lower your car so, Eibach springs, should do the trick. After that try getting a 3 or 4 point harness installed, and you'll have a sweet ride :thumbup:
WBMWF1
04' M3 SMG
As you can see not evryone here thinks you shouldn't do mods to your car!...By the way I found almost everything on Ebay and didn't have to spend that much money, but watch out for the cost of installation. If you're a handy dude, you can do most of it on your own, but like I said just if you're a handy(detail oriented) person.....

BahnBaum
04-27-2005, 06:32 AM
How much research did you do before you bought your M3?

Based on what you're asking for, it appears to me that you may have made a huge mistake.

Alex

Pinecone
04-27-2005, 02:01 PM
WHo said to not mod the car? We siad don't mod the car without spending time figuring out what you need. And engine mods, like CAIs and software, are pretty much a waste of money on these cars. And, if you want to go faster at the track, upgrade suspension, not engine. MUCH better bang for the buck. But chances are, the car is much faster than he is a driver, and spending that $2K on track time and tires is an even BETTER return on investment.

Some good mods that don't cost, pull the front camber pin and dial in more negative camber. Or swap the front hats for even more negative camber. Put a set of shocks on the car (stock ones lose 50% or their dampening in 10K miles). These will help the car perform better in a proven method. Next mod, GOOD front sway, RTABs. Notice none of these are ENGINE mods.

Changing the brakes for ZMI setup is neither proven nor necessary at this point. But they sure look cool.

The HACK
04-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Bavarian46, before you make up your mind about what you want to do, I'd like to invite you to the next BMWCCA school at Buttonwillow (June 11th?) or come to the BMWCCA event at California Speedway. It's free admission, but you can hitch rides with instructors and see what real high performance driving is like.

It's an eye opener. At least that way you have some valid research and information you need to make the right decision in making your car faster. There are plenty of heavily modded M3s at any of these events and usually several prepared racecars from instructors, and you'll be able to experience FIRST HAND what each mod can do for your car.

That and a few rides in a certain instructor's E36 318i will probably change your entire prespective on what makes a car go fast.

Mr. The Edge
04-27-2005, 02:34 PM
190 hp is enough for me

budmanm3
04-27-2005, 03:10 PM
K&N Intake for M3.. 18.65 hp gain. Noise level is nearly the same as stock. Best bang for your buck..

http://www.modbargains.com/product.asp?pf_id=bmw%2De46%2Dintake013

Pics of it installed here
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=65786

Pair that with a Supersprint Race Exhaust and you'll be on your way with a faster m3 for a little over 2k..

http://www.mperformance.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=577

Bavarian46
04-27-2005, 03:15 PM
If you haven't had several track sessions, and now know exactly what you need, DON'T MOD THE CAR. You may THINK you know how to drive and to handle your car, but you don't.

If you have 19s plan on getting a set of light 18, if for no other reason more R-com tires are available.

If you aren't cooking the brakes with track pads, don't do anything to the brakes. Not everyone finds the stock brakes, with good pads and fluid to be a big problem Learn how to properly brake first.

As for engine mods, there is not much you can do to the engine to make more power without going forced induction or takingthe engine engine out, apart and building it from the ground up.

PTG's engine building claims 380 HP form a blueprint and conversion to MOTEC engine management. The MOTEC system is about $8000 itself. Nowack in Germany can get a claimed 404 DIN HP (about 395 - 398 US HP) by a complete top to bottom rebuild with replacing lots of parts. Costs about $15,000.

Headers, CAI, exhaust, software all give SMALL gains. Cams go a bit better. There just isn't a lot of cheap and easy power to get out of these engines, the factory did a heck of job making them put out over 100 HP per liter. If all you want to do is go faster in a straight line, you picked the wrong car to buy. The M3 is about balance and handling.

BTW you mention autocross, if you autocross or plan ot do so, get a copy of the rule books that people run to in your area. It is a royal pain to do something like the ZMI brakes on your car, then find you are running Prepared or Modified against fully prepped cars that arrive on a trailer.

BTW the CSL is not US legal (carbon fiber roof and bumpers), and definately not CA legal (not designed or certified to US emissions specs). The GTR hasn't been made for several years, and was a bit expensive. Not sure if it ever was US legal.

Now if you save your money, you can contact Hartge and have them do a 5 liter V8 swap into the car. That car will do an honest 200+ MPH according to a Euro tuner shootout held last year. Shouldn't be more than $20,000 - $30,000 or so.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 18…looking for some now.

On the brake comment...I don’t find nothing wrong with the stock brakes, they are sweet, it was just a thought to have a few pounds removed…since the first few comment I got on the forum was to lose weight.

On the engine mods, Bravo…straight answers, thank you. You know your stuff. All I’m looking for is SMALL gains…not looking for a rocket to blow up on me. And I picked the M3 because it’s BMW that’s all, I love corvettes, Ferrari, Lambo’s, but those are 2 seats (don’t anybody get offended…but I hate JapCr*P) The M3 is all about proper balance and handling, sure, not saying it isn’t.

BTW the CSL. Something like that would not surprise me…but again still does not say I cant have one…There are ways around it. $$$ and the GTR “overkill” once again sorry.

Hey, If you want a little more push on your M3 you can go to the turner website and look for the carbon fiber intake and shark injector. Then look for the Borla exhaust on Ebay, you might want to lower your car so, Eibach springs, should do the trick. After that try getting a 3 or 4 point harness installed, and you'll have a sweet ride :thumbup:
WBMWF1
04' M3 SMG
As you can see not evryone here thinks you shouldn't do mods to your car!...By the way I found almost everything on Ebay and didn't have to spend that much money, but watch out for the cost of installation. If you're a handy dude, you can do most of it on your own, but like I said just if you're a handy(detail oriented) person.....

Congrats, thanks for the info. I will look on ebay. Borla…uhh I don’t know.

How much research did you do before you bought your M3?

Based on what you're asking for, it appears to me that you may have made a huge mistake.

Alex

Alex
Reeea serrrch whats that? …jk
Well I don’t know what to say…I love M3s and don’t want a twin turbo nitrous blown pieces of SH_T…(not yet?) all I was inquiring was a little information on whats available for those cars…so I may consider (is it worth it) and when I need it put it. Everybody thinks that I want a MONSTER and that I cant drive for sh_t cause I have not went to scKooool (maybe….:) ) I will not know until I go to school.

Some good mods that don't cost, pull the front camber pin and dial in more negative camber. Or swap the front hats for even more negative camber. Put a set of shocks on the car (stock ones lose 50% or their dampening in 10K miles). These will help the car perform better in a proven method. Next mod, GOOD front sway, RTABs. Notice none of these are ENGINE mods.

Changing the brakes for ZMI setup is neither proven nor necessary at this point. But they sure look cool.

They are cool looking?
Thank for the info, I was told the same thing about the camber pins. Also I’m not looking only necessarily for engine mods, just stuff that M3 owners have done and enjoyed (not to say I would enjoy too, but worth the knowledge)

Bavarian46, before you make up your mind about what you want to do, I'd like to invite you to the next BMWCCA school at Buttonwillow (June 11th?) or come to the BMWCCA event at California Speedway. It's free admission, but you can hitch rides with instructors and see what real high performance driving is like.

It's an eye opener. At least that way you have some valid research and information you need to make the right decision in making your car faster. There are plenty of heavily modded M3s at any of these events and usually several prepared racecars from instructors, and you'll be able to experience FIRST HAND what each mod can do for your car.

That and a few rides in a certain instructor's E36 318i will probably change your entire prespective on what makes a car go fast.

I will look into that (don’t have many days off)…When will the BMWCCA event in CALspeedway be? Thank you. (I looked at the website and did not see it, or just missed it…will look again)

K&N Intake for M3.. 18.65 hp gain. Noise level is nearly the same as stock. Best bang for your buck..

Hope this helps

NICE.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-27-2005, 03:16 PM
M3 about proper balance and handling? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The HACK
04-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I will look into that (don’t have many days off)…When will the BMWCCA event in CALspeedway be? Thank you. (I looked at the website and did not see it, or just missed it…will look again).Yeah that's one thing that I struggle with too, finding the balance of days off to go get my track addiction fix. The California Speedway event is usually in the middle of August, I think the first or second weekend (Saturday and Sunday). It should be up on www.bmwclubla.org (http://www.bmwclubla.org/) in a few weeks, if not keep an eye out here as the event draws closer, those of us going will start chattering about it in either the track forum or the event forum.

I think the biggest benefit, is you will meet a lot of people with M3s and a lot of mods on their cars, and they'll be able to give you tangible ideas and proof as to what the particular mod did for their car, because often times you can't fully appreciate a certain mod (suspension, especially) unless you push it to the limit on the track, and that's where some of the problems with a mod can rear its ugly head. They'll be able to tell you don't get XXX because it fades upon braking, get YYY because it'll give you effective power when you need it, or ZZZ because it really works. Guys who take their car to the track can truly appreciate 100% of the mods they put on the car and I would trust their opinions more than some guy I meet on the internet. :thumbup:

Edit: Aug 13-14 is the school at California Speedway.

Bavarian46
04-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah that's one thing that I struggle with too, finding the balance of days off to go get my track addiction fix. The California Speedway event is usually in the middle of August, I think the first or second weekend (Saturday and Sunday). It should be up on www.bmwclubla.org (http://www.bmwclubla.org/) in a few weeks, if not keep an eye out here as the event draws closer, those of us going will start chattering about it in either the track forum or the event forum.

Thank you. I would try not to miss it.

bren
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM

Pair that with a Supersprint Race Exhaust and you'll be on your way with a faster m3 for a little over 2k..

http://www.mperformance.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=577
18HP? :rofl: Good luck with that.

JPinTO
04-28-2005, 02:43 PM
but I do know my car and how to drive it.

I'll reiterate some of the earlier comments made by experienced track people.

I've had my M for 2 years now, and just came from my first BMW Club Driver training event at Mosport Raceway. Going into the event last Friday-- after 20 years of driving, I thought I knew my car and how to drive it.

Now that the weekend is over, I realize how little I know... or more precisely how much more there is to know. It was truly the best experience of my life.... eye opening really. I now realize what I had suspected---- that I have developed a sloppy driving style, and the M's high street thresholds masked it. The best mods I can make to my M is to improve my abilities.

Now, I was driving in cold temps (hi-30's Brrrr) with minor suspension mods (springs, Konis) and the last thing I needed was more power. The M3 is well beyond my beginner track abilities.... but I'm willing to learn and get better.

For upgrades, I'm thinking this is the most effective way to get faster on the track:

- Driver Training School
- Brake Pad Upgrade
- Driver Training School
- Tire Upgrade
- Driver Training School
- Coilovers
- Driver Training School
- Brakes or Lighter wheels

Pinecone
04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, let's see BMW gets 17 HP from intake, cams, etc. Euro M3 343 - CSL 360. PTG says 333 - 380 with blueprint and MOTEC (NO HFM restriction and the carbon fiber airbox used on the race cars, something like a 4 inch opening). Nowack gets about 60 HP with a full rebuild, including rods, pistons, head work, cams, intake and exhaust.

Yeap, I believe 18 HP from an intake alone. Especially since the M3 comes stock with a CAI, two inlets, one over the radiator draws air form in front, the other in the drivers side brake duct.

WRT doing some minor gains thing, you will not feel it, and you will not see it in lap times. As for the ZMI brakes, a LOT of money for a few pounds off, you can loose much more with changing out the seats.

SPEND THE MONEY ON SCHOOLS. After a school or two, you will need new pads. And you will keep using pads. After a bunch of schools, you will need wheels and tires (R-comps). Then shocks. These will eat up your budget with things that WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

JPinTO
04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
At the power pullies worth doing... or is that just another trivial improvement like CAI?

Bavarian46
04-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I'll reiterate some of the earlier comments made by experienced track people.

I've had my M for 2 years now, and just came from my first BMW Club Driver training event at Mosport Raceway. Going into the event last Friday-- after 20 years of driving, I thought I knew my car and how to drive it.

Now that the weekend is over, I realize how little I know... or more precisely how much more there is to know. It was truly the best experience of my life.... eye opening really. I now realize what I had suspected---- that I have developed a sloppy driving style, and the M's high street thresholds masked it. The best mods I can make to my M is to improve my abilities.

Now, I was driving in cold temps (hi-30's Brrrr) with minor suspension mods (springs, Konis) and the last thing I needed was more power. The M3 is well beyond my beginner track abilities.... but I'm willing to learn and get better.

For upgrades, I'm thinking this is the most effective way to get faster on the track:

- Driver Training School
- Brake Pad Upgrade
- Driver Training School
- Tire Upgrade
- Driver Training School
- Coilovers
- Driver Training School
- Brakes or Lighter wheels

Tic tock tic tock... IM GOING TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Sorry about that :) I just hate repeating myself.
I have never put down school; I love school...any school (higher education is always the best way) quit busting my balls here. I have said (wrote) that I may not be the best driver out there and granted there are proven methods out there which are better (i.e. school) where I will find out where I rank :thumbdwn: but till then, I can get by hitting the canyons. (Just for fun...not here to win trophies) and I know I would have an astonishing time once I take the course.

Till then all I really wanted from this post was: what mods are out there for my 05 M3 SMG, and for the people that have a SMG M3 modify, Are you happy with the mods.
(Everyone threw the school without knowing me…I could be Dale Earnhardt jr. for all they know)
In regard to your mod list…I thank you so much…much appreciated.

Yeah, let's see BMW gets 17 HP from intake, cams, etc. Euro M3 343 - CSL 360. PTG says 333 - 380 with blueprint and MOTEC (NO HFM restriction and the carbon fiber airbox used on the race cars, something like a 4 inch opening). Nowack gets about 60 HP with a full rebuild, including rods, pistons, head work, cams, intake and exhaust.

Yeap, I believe 18 HP from an intake alone. Especially since the M3 comes stock with a CAI, two inlets, one over the radiator draws air form in front, the other in the drivers side brake duct.

WRT doing some minor gains thing, you will not feel it, and you will not see it in lap times. As for the ZMI brakes, a LOT of money for a few pounds off, you can loose much more with changing out the seats.

Thank you for the information Pinecone…also much appreciated.

The HACK
04-28-2005, 04:52 PM
(Everyone threw the school without knowing me…I could be Dale Earnhardt jr. for all they know)
Well, that's the thing...If you were Dale Earnhardt Jr., you wouldn't be asking about mods to make your M3 go faster. Dale (or any race car driver) will already know that it's the DRIVER, not the car that limit their speed. :D

I know we're giving you a hard time...But all we're trying to do is give you what we think are the best advice we can give you. Really, if you're looking for more speed for the M3, modifying it isn't the right way to go.

Bavarian46
04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, that's the thing...If you were Dale Earnhardt Jr., you wouldn't be asking about mods to make your M3 go faster. Dale (or any race car driver) will already know that it's the DRIVER, not the car that limit their speed. :D

I know we're giving you a hard time...But all we're trying to do is give you what we think are the best advice we can give you. Really, if you're looking for more speed for the M3, modifying it isn't the right way to go.

Right....DEjr would know exactly what it take to fix a car up, but just for say ;) I’m dale and i just bought this M3...he knows NASCAR but it could be his first Bimmers...And he posted the same POST, everybody knowing who he is...what would you recommend him if he wanted little mods that ya'll all love...granted he could make his own or just buy whatever him eyes content...all he would just want is everybody’s input on what they found from personal experience. :thumbup:

I feel everybody’s concern, thank you thank you thank you
All I wanted REALLY was information on what out there. And warn me about certain companies that have cheapSh*T. Forget about my need for speed and tell me about cool products.

I would like to thank everybody for their comments, support and concerns. VIVA LA M3 cheers

Shades
04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
There are quite a few people on the www.m3forum.net that have done engine mods.You should be able to get quite a bit of info there.Good luck.

Bavarian46
04-28-2005, 08:19 PM
There are quite a few people on the www.m3forum.net that have done engine mods.You should be able to get quite a bit of info there.Good luck.

Thank you. :)

wbmwf1
04-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Bavarian46,
the thing about doing mods to your car is, that no matter how much money you throuw at it you keep wanting more! I have a buddy of mine that has a 02' M3 that is completely decked out, and he still wants more. Here's the list of what he has on his car, but I warn you it's a sh*t load of money for the gain....:
Dinnan software, Dinnan Strut towers braces, Coil overs, Crossdrilled rotors, CSL rims, Euro Headers, Borla exhaust, Carbon fibre intake, Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk, Carbon Fiber interior trim, ACS Diffuser, Hamann front splitter, Club Sport Wing.
From all of that the only thing actually making power are the euro headers, combined with the intake and exhaust...(guesstimating) about a 40Hp gain. software will change throttle response, and will give you a bit more ageassive curve on the engine and raising the rev limiter.
What has helped besides this little gain has been the drop in weight with the carbon hood and trunk, plus the exhaust is about 30lbs instead of the heavy stock one. As I stated before, there are many things you can do to your car, but it takes a lot of money. I trust the dealer told you how to use the tricks of your SMG. Personally I noticed a huge difference in my car once I lowered it, it feels so stable it's crazy, but you can feel the bumps on the road a lot as well. As for resonse on your car, you can go with software, intake, and exhaust. This combo will give you what you're looking for, trust me. Do your research and try to find the best deal. Good luck on your search bud......once you start on the road of making mods to your car you won't ever come back......besides, it's your car and it should look and feel like your car, not like every other on the road......

Bavarian46
04-28-2005, 10:39 PM
the thing about doing mods to your car is, that no matter how much money you throuw at it you keep wanting more! ......besides, it's your car and it should look and feel like your car, not like every other on the road......

wbmwf1 thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Pinecone
04-29-2005, 03:49 AM
Read AGAIN the numbers from tuners who actually dyno their engines, and KNOW BMW engines. The full Dinan S2 kit doesn't do 40HP IIRC. Guesstimates like that are ricer HP, you know if an exhaust gives 5HP, and an intake gives 8HP, and this gives x, and that gives y, add them all up and multiply by some fudge factor and delude yourself. :) They don't work that way.

It just isn't going to happen with bolt ones.

And even if it did, that is barely a 10% increase in power, for THOUSANDS of dollars.

And for road courses, it won't lower your lap time by any margin.

Pinecone
04-29-2005, 03:50 AM
BTW if you didn't know, when NASCAR goes to road courses, they hire road race specialists. And the "normal" NASCAR drivers take schools at those tracks to learn the tricks of raod racing and to re familiarize themselves with those specific tracks.

So DEjr, ALREADY knows that for a road course, the answer it to take some training. :)

JPinTO
04-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Guesstimates like that are ricer HP, you know if an exhaust gives 5HP, and an intake gives 8HP, and this gives x, and that gives y, add them all up and multiply by some fudge factor and delude yourself. :)

LOL! I modded the heck out of my 91 Eagle Talon which being turbo charged lended itself to lots of gain for little $. I spent thousands of $'s on my 2000 323i and got squat in actual power. Now, I won't bother spending a nickel on my M3... because I'm tired of all pain, no gain.

JPinTO
04-29-2005, 06:10 AM
...quit busting my balls here. I have said (wrote) that I may not be the best driver out there and granted there are proven methods out there which are better (i.e. school) where I will find out where I rank :thumbdwn: but till then, I can get by hitting the canyons. (Just for fun...not here to win trophies) and I know I would have an astonishing time once I take the course.

Till then all I really wanted from this post was: what mods are out there for my 05 M3 SMG, and for the people that have a SMG M3 modify, Are you happy with the mods.
(Everyone threw the school without knowing me…I could be Dale Earnhardt jr. for all they know) In regard to your mod list…I thank you so much…much appreciated.

LOL! I know everyone jumped on you, but it's a pretty civilised conversation... so congrats for keeping your cool! :) All I know is that I've been on this board for years, and I've seen this admonition of the best mod is to "mod the driver".... and now that I've experienced it, I understand why. Non-M cars can benefit more from mods, but out of the box the M3 is better than what most driver's can utilize. So, that's why the recommendation is for you to learn to get the best out of what you have.

Here's my take on the M3's S54 motor: BMW Motorsport has spent a LOT of time engineering a beautiful motor that is the S54. It's my favorite part of the M3. Otherwise, the M3 itself is an overweight pig, with decent brakes and softy suspension. The Motor is the bright, shining star. They didn't leave a lot of hp on the table for the aftermarket to clean up on.... which is to be expected for that level of motor. So, even if (Big, If) you get 10-15 hp for a few grand, it's a rounding error--- you've got to Supercharge it to get anything noticable.... which IMO is a bit of an abomination leading to a FrankenMMM. If seriously more power is required, perhaps consider a used 911 or C6 Vette... or wait for the E90M3 V8.

The Intake is well optimized for the M3, and there are reports of stalling with the K&N CAI's and do you really want to get into a battle with BMW over Motor warranty because of a CAI? The exhaust isn't going to get you much in hp... and it may lose you some. Goto m3forum.net and read posts from modders... some of them seem quite happy when they return their car back to stock after bouncing around from exhaust to exhaust. Different exhausts are just that: Different, not necessarily better or faster.

But if you've GOT to Mod to carve those canyon's faster, then my suggestion is to focus on the suspension. Modding the motor will just make the soft suspension even more noticable.... so you'll have to do them anyway. Go with coilovers... maybe Ground Control or Bilstein PSS9 which are ride height adjustable. The car will have lower CG and look "cooler". Software won't probably get you much, but it may make the throttle mapping a little better. Finally, if it's got a CDV then remove it.

You'll like this page: http://m3.madrussian.net/reviews.shtml

So far my mod list is: H&R Springs, Koni Shocks (Should have gone with coil overs... this combo is too soft), Braided steel brake lines, Rogue Engineering rear strut mounts & transmission bushings, OEM strut brace (not fitted on 2001's).

PS: Earnhart would probably drive a Porsche. :D

The HACK
04-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Right....DEjr would know exactly what it take to fix a car up, but just for say ;) I’m dale and i just bought this M3...he knows NASCAR but it could be his first Bimmers...And he posted the same POST, everybody knowing who he is...what would you recommend him if he wanted little mods that ya'll all love...granted he could make his own or just buy whatever him eyes content...all he would just want is everybody’s input on what they found from personal experience. :thumbup:

I feel everybody’s concern, thank you thank you thank you
All I wanted REALLY was information on what out there. And warn me about certain companies that have cheapSh*T. Forget about my need for speed and tell me about cool products.

I would like to thank everybody for their comments, support and concerns. VIVA LA M3 cheers
Like I said. If this is indeed Dale, he would REALLY not be asking about how to make his car faster via MODS. Trust me...Especially not on an M3.

When Ralf Schumaker drove for the Williams team, he had a (get this) 330 Diesel that he got clocked for doing 200+ kmph and busted for. I don't recall Spoon Jr. posting on this forum asking how to make his 330D faster. :D

Bavarian46
04-29-2005, 01:38 PM
BTW if you didn't know, when NASCAR goes to road courses, they hire road race specialists. And the "normal" NASCAR drivers take schools at those tracks to learn the tricks of raod racing and to re familiarize themselves with those specific tracks.

So DEjr, ALREADY knows that for a road course, the answer it to take some training. :)

Sorry Sir....I give up :wahwah:

The Intake is well optimized for the M3, and there are reports of stalling with the K&N CAI's and do you really want to get into a battle with BMW over Motor warranty because of a CAI? The exhaust isn't going to get you much in hp... and it may lose you some. Goto m3forum.net and read posts from modders... some of them seem quite happy when they return their car back to stock after bouncing around from exhaust to exhaust. Different exhausts are just that: Different, not necessarily better or faster.

But if you've GOT to Mod to carve those canyon's faster, then my suggestion is to focus on the suspension. Modding the motor will just make the soft suspension even more noticable.... so you'll have to do them anyway. Go with coilovers... maybe Ground Control or Bilstein PSS9 which are ride height adjustable. The car will have lower CG and look "cooler". Software won't probably get you much, but it may make the throttle mapping a little better. Finally, if it's got a CDV then remove it.

You'll like this page: http://m3.madrussian.net/reviews.shtml

So far my mod list is: H&R Springs, Koni Shocks (Should have gone with coil overs... this combo is too soft), Braided steel brake lines, Rogue Engineering rear strut mounts & transmission bushings, OEM strut brace (not fitted on 2001's).

PS: Earnhart would probably drive a Porsche. :D

LOL…Porsche?
Thanks for the valuable info.

Like I said. If this is indeed Dale, he would REALLY not be asking about how to make his car faster via MODS. Trust me...Especially not on an M3.

When Ralf Schumaker drove for the Williams team, he had a (get this) 330 Diesel that he got clocked for doing 200+ kmph and busted for. I don't recall Spoon Jr. posting on this forum asking how to make his 330D faster. :D

: popcorn: Ohhhh... :dunno:

The HACK
04-29-2005, 03:27 PM
: popcorn: Ohhhh... :dunno:

Think about it this way...If you come here to Bimmerfest, a somewhat respected forum on the internet, and you ask us for opinions, and OVERWHELMINGLY almost all of us gave you the same options and opinions...

You have got to figure there's a good chance we are right. :thumbup: Just think about that for a sec.

JBM3
04-29-2005, 04:19 PM
I'd just like to pop my head in and say that this thread blows.

JBM3
04-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Please take a picture of your rear struts. I'm betting they're either the only ones in existance, or not struts. If you're going to hold yourself out as an expert, please know what the parts are properly called.

Thank you.

JBM3
04-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately, a CAI will only give you a ridiculous ricer sound,

wrong.

and most probably you will not feel the difference at all...I agree that the car is some what slow.. and you get easily comfortable with the power in no time..

right. wrong. wrong.

Regardless, you can only waste so much money on bolt-ons before you blow the motor up..

wrong.

I agree with Pinecone..get it out on the track...You'll like it even more..

right.

2 outa 6 aint bad if your a baseball player

JBM3
04-29-2005, 04:31 PM

OK, so you're 16 and we all know it now. Now stfu before your mommy catches you talking crap and smacks you.

JBM3
04-29-2005, 04:34 PM

ESTIMATED. NOT ACTUAL. Gee...K&N wouldn't exagerate would they? FYI, I can show a 18HPchange on a dyno sheet...without changing a thing...reset adaptation and away we go.

Bavarian46
04-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Think about it this way...If you come here to Bimmerfest, a somewhat respected forum on the internet, and you ask us for opinions, and OVERWHELMINGLY almost all of us gave you the same options and opinions...

You have got to figure there's a good chance we are right. :thumbup: Just think about that for a sec.

Okay...I meant it in the best possible way; don’t turn it the other way around. :thumbup: I’m not saying I don’t care what ya'll think...just that the question on what out there was so ever answered. Maybe i made the error in posting a thread that started with "Making my M3 FASTER" and should of been "What Out There for my M3" apologies to all. Don’t get mad...their is no sarcasm here, i respect bimmerfest and its members and whatever opinions are given have i ever said I didn’t, NO. kick back turn on the TV and drink a beer get a BJ...Relax

I now know that on an M3 there not much i can do...except go to school. unless i have $$$ to burn on point less stuff ( and i mean making it faster... i.e. CAI, exhaust ,chip,OD pulleys) After school I will consider what i learned and go buy what i think i would need (more than likely it will be suspension).

Don’t get me wrong...words alone cannot express ones true feelings when posting replies...but to let you know I’m always happy to hear any comments and I mean what i say and said in the best of way.

I still love M3's and forever will.

Bavarian46
04-29-2005, 04:58 PM
OK, so you're 16 and we all know it now. Now stfu before your mommy catches you talking crap and smacks you.

grow up, EaD

wbmwf1
04-29-2005, 05:39 PM
YEAH...I never siad my buddy had all Dinan in his car, just the cpu, plus I stated that the cpu upgrade doesn't do anything about power out-put. I also stated that he had spent a SH*T LOAD of money for that little gain. This guy is asking for a bit more kick in his car, and I gave him what will give him that. The easyest way to get a bit more power into your car is to make it breath better, hense intake and exhaust. The cpu upgrade will give him a bit more agressive curve(meaning quicker throttle response and better tuning to a specific fuel grade, plus you get a higher red line and no top speed limiter) And I never styated this was the way to make your car faster for track use, that depends on driver skills and handling of the car itself. Maybe you should just let the guy be happy with whatever he wants to do to his car, after all it is HIS CAR.....All he wanted to know was what was out there to make his car a bit more agressive.....

SergioK
04-29-2005, 06:46 PM

Oh c'mon Hack, you have to realize that some people just want reaffirmation of their preconceived opinions/thoughts. This is a exactly such a case, otherwise, he would heed our collective opinions.

The other assumption you made....
Think abo..... Some people don't use what's between their ears. :loco:

dawgbone
04-30-2005, 01:16 AM

I'm pretty sure that you're no more than an idiot...So how would you mod yours? Lucky modding :thumbup:

dawgbone
04-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Oh c'mon Hack, you have to realize that some people just want reaffirmation of their preconceived opinions/thoughts. This is a exactly such a case, otherwise, he would heed our collective opinions.

The other assumption you made....
Some people don't use what's between their ears. :loco:

You can only tell others to get lessons so much...The original post is really legit..And he got some very rediculous answers IMO..I.E. get schooling on a track...You can only learn how to make faster lap times...Sooo...how about making the E46 faster??? I'm sorry, but I think it's pretty slow myself....High rev limit...but takes too long to get there...And really has no tq whatsoever..

Regardless, I love the car, for what it is...I only wish it could be faster...Sorry, but without doing massive internal work(short-stroke)(forced induction)you're spinning your wheels...
So to make an e46 faster...lighten it....

JBM3
04-30-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm pretty sure that you're no more than an idiot...So how would you mod yours? Lucky modding :thumbup:

My car:

http://www.fmjmotorsports.com/tws-11-2004/IMG_5042.JPG

http://members.roadfly.org/txse46m3/blank_sign_rs110.jpg

SergioK
04-30-2005, 10:04 AM
You can only tell others to get lessons so much...The original post is really legit..And he got some very rediculous answers IMO..I.E. get schooling on a track...You can only learn how to make faster lap times...Sooo...how about making the E46 faster??? I'm sorry, but I think it's pretty slow myself....High rev limit...but takes too long to get there...And really has no tq whatsoever..

Regardless, I love the car, for what it is...I only wish it could be faster...Sorry, but without doing massive internal work(short-stroke)(forced induction)you're spinning your wheels...
So to make an e46 faster...lighten it....

Thank you for further proving my point. :thumbup:

Pinecone
04-30-2005, 02:57 PM
wrong.

right. wrong. wrong.

wrong.

right.

2 outa 6 aint bad if your a baseball player

let's see some REPEATABLE numbers, like time slips, multi pull dyno runs before and after on th SAME dyno.

drallafi
04-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Speaking of making an M3 faster (lighter), can anyone comment on the feasibility of removing the rollover bar from an M3 convertible? This is assuming, of course, that I'll never need it.

JPinTO
05-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Please take a picture of your rear struts. I'm betting they're either the only ones in existance, or not struts. If you're going to hold yourself out as an expert, please know what the parts are properly called.

Thank you.

Bravo.

You have a very hot car, and obviously some experience which means you could add something intelligent to the thread. Any idea when you are going to get around to that? How about starting with a list of mods to your car?

- JP

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Speaking of making an M3 faster (lighter), can anyone comment on the feasibility of removing the rollover bar from an M3 convertible? This is assuming, of course, that I'll never need it.
That idea is so far beyond stupid that I'm just at a loss for words.

drallafi
05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
That idea is so far beyond stupid that I'm just at a loss for words.

Why, exactly?

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Why, exactly?
Assuming that you'll never need a critical piece of safety equipment is a dumb**** idea. I would be amazed that I have to explain myself here, if you hadn't asked the question in the first place.

jaydoc1
05-02-2005, 08:33 AM
BEST mod for that car, is get some GOOD driver training.

Jim Russell, Derek Daly, Bondurant, Skip Barber, Roos Racing, etc. Or BMW Performance Center 1 or 2 day Car Control, or M School.

You will get more out of the car by tuning the driver than you can get by hardware mods.

Heartily agree!

jaydoc1
05-02-2005, 08:42 AM
It's a fact, my experience picking good lines on a motorcycle allowed me to pass some M3's with my 325i. Granted that's running in D group but still, better driving makes for a faster car.

Since no CAI adds significant power, and any such mod will void your engine warranty, why bother?

Dinan CAIs installed through your BMW dealer do not void the warranty and in fact have a warranty to match the factory one. Granted you still don't have that much of a increase but at least the warranty isn't voided.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-02-2005, 08:52 AM
It's a fact, my experience picking good lines on a motorcycle allowed me to pass some M3's with my 325i. Granted that's running in D group but still, better driving makes for a faster car.

Dinan CAIs installed through your BMW dealer do not void the warranty and in fact have a warranty to match the factory one. Granted you still don't have that much of a increase but at least the warranty isn't voided.
WRONG. ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY, AND UTTERLY WRONG.

You absolutely need to stop spreading that. Dinan parts void your warranty even more than any other parts, since the mods are reported to BMW WHEN THEY ARE INSTALLED. There is no "going back to stock" once you start down the Dinan route. The supplimentary warranty theoretically covers you for warranty coverage that BMW denies. But Dinan parts ABSOLUTELY void your factory warranty.

drallafi
05-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Assuming that you'll never need a critical piece of safety equipment is a dumb**** idea. I would be amazed that I have to explain myself here, if you hadn't asked the question in the first place.

Well, it's good to see that literacy is still a problem for America's children. Next time, I'll just assume rampant stupidity, and forego the part where I say, "assume I don't need it..."

Can anyone *else* comment on the feasibility of such a thing? Thanks in advance.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Well, it's good to see that literacy is still a problem for America's children. Next time, I'll just assume rampant stupidity, and forego the part where I say, "assume I don't need it..."

Can anyone *else* comment on the feasibility of such a thing? Thanks in advance.
Sure, my alter ego would also like to step in and tell you that you're an idiot.

drallafi
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
*sigh* :rolleyes: Kids...

SergioK
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
The supplimentary warranty theoretically covers you for warranty coverage that BMW denies. But Dinan parts ABSOLUTELY void your factory warranty.

Yeah, I had my Dinan goodies installed on my car at a BMW dealership that was also a Dinan authorized dealer as well.

They made absolutely NO comments to me regarding the Dinan mods on my car when certain engine components failed (cam shaft sensor, thermostat), thus for the end user, it's virtually the same.

I know people mistakenly say Dinan doesn't void your factory warranty... but you also have to state that Dinan will pick up where the factory warranty drops.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I had my Dinan goodies installed on my car at a BMW dealership that was also a Dinan authorized dealer as well.

They made absolutely NO comments to me regarding the Dinan mods on my car when certain engine components failed (cam shaft sensor, thermostat), thus for the end user, it's virtually the same.

I know people mistakenly say Dinan doesn't void your factory warranty... but you also have to state that Dinan will pick up where the factory warranty drops.
Well, yes. I did mention the supplimentary warranty.

But that's still not in any way the same... And if the previous owner of my 323 had installed, say, a Conforti intake, the Vehicle History Report would not have an all caps paragraph stating that BMW will not cover any failures related to the Dinan intake. I consider a clean report extremely valuable in a car that might be traded in at a BMW dealer.

bimmerguy
05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Install idrive, and don't look back!

:rofl:

jaydoc1
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
WRONG. ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY, AND UTTERLY WRONG.

You absolutely need to stop spreading that. Dinan parts void your warranty even more than any other parts, since the mods are reported to BMW WHEN THEY ARE INSTALLED. There is no "going back to stock" once you start down the Dinan route. The supplimentary warranty theoretically covers you for warranty coverage that BMW denies. But Dinan parts ABSOLUTELY void your factory warranty.

My mistake. I took my dealer's word for it in their newletter when they announced that they were now Dinan authorized dealers/installers and that the warranty was not affected by the installation of their parts. Again, my mistake. :dunno:

Pinecone
05-02-2005, 06:33 PM

WRONG. ANY CAI voids certain parts of your warranty. It is just that Dinan offers a supplimentary warranty to "cover" you. Now if you engine goes up and BMW doesn't warranty it, Dinan MAY step up to the plate, but may also decide that it wasn't their CAI that caused the problem. Where does that leave you?

The nice thing, in MANY cases, but not ALL, since the same dealer does the BMW and Dinan warranty stuff, you get if fixed and who cares who covers it. But thinking that you are fully covered is not accurate and may bite you big time.

EDIT: I wrote the above before reading other posts.

The big point is there is no guarantee that the Dinan warranty will cover you for all problems that may be not covered by BMW.

Plus you pay extra for Dinan stuff due to that warranty, and in many cases Dinan is not the way to go if you want TOP performance. You do get an excellent balance between increased performance and mainly street use.