PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting cheated? Help!!

lomli
04-26-2005, 08:24 AM
So I patiently waited these past 6 weeks for my new X3 to arrive, and my dealer lets me know it's ready today.... but the bad news is that the radio transmitter (garage door opener) which I had ordered for $300 is now $450 because they "raised the price" since I ordered the x3! He has offered me both sets of floormats for free inexchange (but of course making up for only $50 of the $150 price increase). I'm thinking I'm getting screwed. What do you guys think?

Rob V
04-26-2005, 08:38 AM
That doesn't sound right to me at all. If that were the case then what's to stop them from raising the price of the car too, and any other option packages you may have ordered? I know when I ordered my X3 about 3 weeks ago the documents I signed had predetermined prices. I don't see how they can just raise that cost because they want to. Some people here received the floormats for free withouth having them compensate for any other price increases. I think you are beeing cheated a little bit.

LeucX3
04-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Threaten to go to another dealership and let him know it's not about the money cause $150 on a $35k+ car is very small, but it's the principle (or al?) at issue.

Then see if they'll throw in some other 'freebies'.

calgaryx3
04-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Do you have a "Bill of Sale" or other similar contract to purchase? I suspect the numbers discussed at the time or order were written down and agreed by both parties, thereby, forming a civil binding contract of sorts. (Read all the small print to confirm of course)

Legally, you would have cause not to accept the vehicle when it arrives, given that it is not the vehicle you ordered for the price you agreed.

Thats the legal perspective. On the other hand, you may already be emotionally involved with this vehicle, and knowing that it is here, are eager to get your grubby paws on it, despite the $100 price difference which in the grand scheme of things isn't much. Moreover, if you are limited in your choice of dealers in your area then it might not be worthy to yank them about, turn down the vehicle, or otherwise seek out legal recourse for the difference in price they are quoting.

Either way, this stunt speaks little of the integrity your sales person and the dealership possesses, raising the question of what their after sales service might lack as well??

Just my 2c
Asif

pipo
04-26-2005, 03:40 PM
If the radio transmitter is a factory option, and it shows on the factory sticker at the higher price, then the dealer has a point, since he has to absorb the higher price and it's out of his control. This only matters to determine whether the dealer has integrity, because we are only talking about chump change here.

I wouldn't worry about it too much in any case, but especially if the price increase is from the factory. You're getting a great vehicle, and it's not worth detracting from the pleasure it will give you by getting aggravated about the price of three tankfuls of gas!

By the way, aren't the mats $125?

lomli
04-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Well the final upshot is that I called the dealer again, and told him how I think it's dishonest that he's not honoring the price that we had set, and he finally agreed to sell me the transmitter for the origional price. And gave me the 2 sets of floormats gratis. Picked it up this afternoon. All's well that ends well. So my new ride is:
x3 3L
Flaminco Red (awesome color, I don't know why there aren't more around in this color)
Tan leather interior
Cold weather pacakge
Premium package
Xenon
Global Nav
And the (now infamous) transmitter.

Can't wait to put some miles on the thing!!

Thanks for the input!!

jdeday
04-26-2005, 06:45 PM
We want to see some pics!

JG
04-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Flaminco Red (awesome color, I don't know why there aren't more around in this color)
Thanks for the input!!

It's odd but it seems most BMW owners go for the silver to black range. When I went to several dealers a year or so ago looking for a used 325iT vehicle - 90% were in that color range.

Rarely are the other colors seen. I saw your color in the showroom and it is quite stunning.

I am sure the speed traps won't be looking for bright red BMW toting speedsters :bigpimp:

lomli
04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two (was a bit too rainy today for good shots). The red is not the type of red they have on the sedans (as a matter of fact, this X3 is replacing my red 325 xi whose lease was up). It has a gold undertone that the tan interior highlights well. Doesn't look anything like the red on BMW's website - in a good way.

stevenw66
04-27-2005, 07:58 AM
If you can get the Homelink transmitter to work let me know. I've tried everything and can't get it to work on two different garage door openers (Sears, Genie) including calling Homelink for advice.

lomli
04-27-2005, 05:26 PM
If you can get the Homelink transmitter to work let me know. I've tried everything and can't get it to work on two different garage door openers (Sears, Genie) including calling Homelink for advice.

Yea, it works for me. What took me a little while was realizing that I had to have the key in position 2 to set the thing. Hold the first and third buttons down for 20 sec until the little yellow light blinks (it was not flashing at baseline). Then take the garage door remote and point it at the mirror (I pointed it completely vertically from below). At the same time push the remote and the button you want to map it to until the blinking changes. I have an Allster brand door opener (don't ask me that the heck brand that is, it came with the house...) Hope this helps.