PDA

View Full Version : EZpass

Xcube
04-27-2005, 06:38 AM
Greetings, X3'ers!
Where I live having an EZpass is a necessity. The only problem is the device don't look good on the windshield so I ordered the external type. I initially installed it on the lic. plate which works fine but still unpleasant to see. I'm trying to find a better, more concealed location. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Xcube

BahnBaum
04-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Greetings, X3'ers!
Where I live having an EZpass is a necessity. The only problem is the device don't look good on the windshield so I ordered the external type. I initially installed it on the lic. plate which works fine but still unpleasant to see. I'm trying to find a better, more concealed location. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Xcube

Mine sits in the door panel storage compartment and gets pulled out and held up as I go through.

Alex

Xcube
04-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks for your input but I find it unsafe to be reaching across to pull it out from the compartment every now and then. I don't know how far apart are the toll booth in your area but mostly in my case they're a lot closer. :tsk:

stevenw66
04-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Mine sits in the compartment on the dash where the Nav display would reside. It is concieled and works just great. Don't have to touch it as I go through the toll booth.

Xcube
04-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Are you saying that even though the device is inside that small compartment, the toll booth sensor could still be read and wouldn't be missed?
:jawdrop:

stevenw66
04-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Works every time. I cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and and the Baltimore Tunnel weekly, barely slow down

:thumbup:

Bart001
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Are you saying that even though the device is inside that small compartment, the toll booth sensor could still be read and wouldn't be missed?

Why not? It's just a plastic lid covering that compartment.

Yes, my FastLane transponder worked every time from in there.

alpinewhite325i
04-27-2005, 06:41 PM
I've had mine on the floor of my 3er and it was picked up.

Xcube
04-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Well I guess all I have to do now is try it. I'll remove the transponder (thanks Bart001 for the proper terminology) from the lic. plate tonight and experiment. It's a good thing I didn't surrender the internal type one. I'll let you guys know the result. Thanks much. :thumbup:

tq2k
04-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Greetings, X3'ers!
Xcube
Paint it black...

Terry Kennedy
04-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Paint it black...Actually, I am developing a kit which will do that for the internal tag without being permanent (some issuers send replacement tags each year). It includes a couple pieces of die-cut black felt to place on the tag as well as new attachment strips (the official "Dual Lock" ones - which will attach properly to the clear ones if you need to move the tag between cars) and adhesive, all in black. Stay tuned for an update.

Terry Kennedy
04-28-2005, 11:12 AM
:jawdrop:The Mark IV transponder (that's the brand, not a revision) used in these systems has an internal battery which is not replaceable. As the battery ages, the range will go down. Just because it works now doesn't mean it will always work. Also, check your agreement with the issuing agency - some will fine you for not having the transponder attached to the windshield / license plate. [Yes, I've actually seen people get pulled over for this.]

dtsnhls30
04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Ummm.. in NJ, for EZPass you can register your vehicle (make, model, license). This was done some time ago as the system was so faulty, many owners would get letters indicating they went through a EZPass lane without paying. The letters showed a photo of their license plate.

The agency spent so much money on letters to people that had valid accounts and the transponder just didn't work... SOOO... now they just look up your license plate (if a transponder doesn't register) to see if you have an account.. if you do, they debit the toll.

Sooo... I haven't kept a transponder in my vehicle for years.. I register my plate, they take the photo, look up the account and debit... No fines, no letters.

Plaz
04-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Ummm.. in NJ, for EZPass you can register your vehicle (make, model, license). This was done some time ago as the system was so faulty, many owners would get letters indicating they went through a EZPass lane without paying. The letters showed a photo of their license plate.

The agency spent so much money on letters to people that had valid accounts and the transponder just didn't work... SOOO... now they just look up your license plate (if a transponder doesn't register) to see if you have an account.. if you do, they debit the toll.

Sooo... I haven't kept a transponder in my vehicle for years.. I register my plate, they take the photo, look up the account and debit... No fines, no letters.

:rofl:

Some tape reviewer person hates you. :rofl:

motordavid
04-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Ummm.. Sooo... I haven't kept a transponder in my vehicle for years.. I register my plate, they take the photo, look up the account and debit... No fines, no letters.

:stupid: Actually, dtsnhls is a right on and, not stupid, but I'm w/him.

I have 3 cars and 4 m'cycles plates registered through my 10+ yr old NY origin EZPass acct. (They are All North Carolina, now, by the bye, but no sweat.)
I keep a CC bal., and run what I brung through NY/NJ/MD EZPass w/out blinking.
I get a Qtrly statement, the tolls are deducted and it's no sweat. :thumbup:

Or, if you are doing one car/vehicle, primarily, as all have agreed: just keep that lil'transponder somewhere in the car.
My 2Cts. BR,md

shum331
04-29-2005, 03:00 PM
I use one of these EZ Pass Holders which mounts on the windshield with suction cups, without the velcro type tape...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/aid-auto/ezcltopaho.html