PDA

View Full Version : Initial Oil Change

shornaday
04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
My 2004 525i has free scheduled maintenance but I've got only 4,000 miles on it during my initial 10 month of ownership and wonder whether there is a time period, as opposed to strickly mileage, when one should do the initial oil change? In cars with non-synthetic oil, I'd always heard that one needs to do the initial oil change within six months regardless of mileage.

Thanks for your input. This is my first BMW and I want to do it right.

JB-From-FL
04-27-2005, 11:44 AM
My 2004 525i has free scheduled maintenance but I've got only 4,000 miles on it during my initial 10 month of ownership and wonder whether there is a time period, as opposed to strickly mileage, when one should do the initial oil change? In cars with non-synthetic oil, I'd always heard that one needs to do the initial oil change within six months regardless of mileage.

You get a free change 12 months after production.

Ågent99
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
This is my first BMW and I want to do it right.For a first BMW and to "do it right", you should have put about 20k on your car in the first year! :rofl: Just giving you a hard time. :)

As already stated, you will get a freebie oil change at around 12 months. You'll need to take it to your dealer about the 1 year anniversary and this *should* include an oil change.

Take your car out and put a good 200-300 miles on it doing freeway speeds. It'll be good for the engine and good for your smile! :)

Also, you probalby noticed those green lights on the dash when you first start your car. Each green bar represents like 1200 liters of gasoline. So as you consume that much gas over time, the bars will slowly disappear. When you hit yellow, the oil light will be on. So BMW uses fuel useage as a determination for oil changes.

So after your first oil change, the lights will be reset again and the countdown starts again. This time, when the yellow lights up, the yellow Inspection light will be on and they will go through the car inspecting various items. Again, the lights are reset, and then the next interval is Oil, and the next one is Inspection, and so on.

The first Inspection light is called Inspection I and the second Inspection light is called Inspection II, and then it starts over again. However, the light will just say Inspection.

Got it? No? I like to change my oil at the 2-3 green bars left stage so I roughly change my oil twice as often as BMW recommends.

TGray5
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
For a first BMW and to "do it right", you should have put about 20k on your car in the first year! :rofl: Just giving you a hard time. :)

As already stated, you will get a freebie oil change at around 12 months. You'll need to take it to your dealer about the 1 year anniversary and this *should* include an oil change.

Take your car out and put a good 200-300 miles on it doing freeway speeds. It'll be good for the engine and good for your smile! :)

Also, you probalby noticed those green lights on the dash when you first start your car. Each green bar represents like 1200 liters of gasoline. So as you consume that much gas over time, the bars will slowly disappear. When you hit yellow, the oil light will be on. So BMW uses fuel useage as a determination for oil changes.

So after your first oil change, the lights will be reset again and the countdown starts again. This time, when the yellow lights up, the yellow Inspection light will be on and they will go through the car inspecting various items. Again, the lights are reset, and then the next interval is Oil, and the next one is Inspection, and so on.

The first Inspection light is called Inspection I and the second Inspection light is called Inspection II, and then it starts over again. However, the light will just say Inspection.

Got it? No? I like to change my oil at the 2-3 green bars left stage so I roughly change my oil twice as often as BMW recommends.

ahem...little green lights? That's so 90's you e39er! Not on E60 it has a mileage countdown if I recall correctly.

Ågent99
04-27-2005, 01:47 PM
ahem...little green lights? That's so 90's you e39er! Not on E60 it has a mileage countdown if I recall correctly.
:rofl: :lmao: :bustingup

:doh: I forgot what forum I was on!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry...all that info, as TGray5 pointed out, is for the E39.... sorry :tsk:

RTFM, I see the following on page 75: Service Requirements

Basically, there is a mileage countdown and it is briefly displayed when the ignition key is in position 2.

So if you add up your car's mileage and what is left in the countdown, you'll see how often BMW is recommending that the oil be changed.

Does anyone know the interval?

MaxBuck
04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
There is absolutely no controversy whatsoever as to the proper oil-change interval for the BMW 5-series. :rofl:

Ågent99
04-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Not controversey so much as opinion.... :) Everybody's got one! :rofl:

noonehome
04-27-2005, 04:55 PM

Last week I had my annual oil change at 8700 miles. I was not charged dispite what the attachment says.

From our friends next door.

Ågent99
04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Well, if I can add worth a darn, it appears that 15,000 miles is the cue to have your oil changed according to BMW.

For me who like to do it 2x what BMW suggests, that would be, uh, carry the 2, multiply by pi and partially differentiate twice, put it all in a 4x4 matrix, invert the matrix, and we get, uh, 7500 miles! :)

wagonman
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
is changing the oil more often than the 15k beneficial? for those of us who plan on keeping our cars a long time...does it make any difference to change it ay every 7500 miles on these new cars? is it psychological, or does it actually increase longevity? :dunno:

stream
04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
is changing the oil more often than the 15k beneficial? for those of us who plan on keeping our cars a long time...does it make any difference to change it ay every 7500 miles on these new cars? is it psychological, or does it actually increase longevity? :dunno:

Before synthetic oil, I used to have my oil & filter changed every 3,000 miles. Now with synthetic, I have the first oil srevice at 3,000 miles to flush out the break in gunk (just paid to have it done last week), and then I pay for a service mid-way between the covered 15,000 oil services (and tell them not to reset the service indicator). It's not only the oil that you need to worry about changing, it's also the filter. I paid $113 for the oil service, and feel it's a small price to pay once a year (during the warranty period) to keep the interior engine parts clean.

noonehome
09-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Last week I had my annual oil change at 8700 miles. I was not charged dispite what the attachment says.

From our friends next door.

Is this document still valid or is there an updated one... I've got my dealer calling me telling me I own him for the last oil service.

KraigG
09-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Just got my car back from an unscheduled service appointment. As my car is approaching 1 year since delivery date (10/05), I thought I could get the oil changed (the car only has 9800 miles on it).
Boy, was I wrong! No, they told me, they don't do it until you reach 15k miles. But the car has had the same oil in it since it was built, I protested. Too bad, they replied. They then charged me $6 to top it off, since it was down a quart.

Maintenance every 15,000 miles. What marketing hype.

Me530
09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
After 1 year from the delivery date you are allowed a free oil change. Its called a low mileage oil change, and they do not reset your service indicator.

KraigG
09-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, off I go in a week for lovely Illinois. Probably 5000 miles, round trip. Maybe I'll qualify for an oil change when I get back! Or maybe I'll stop off at Knauz.....

Me530
09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Knauz did it for me, I'm sure they'd fit you in! Orland Park BMW also does it.

lib
09-13-2006, 12:45 AM
High mileage drivers don't get charged for excessive oil changes right? If you do 15000 miles every 8-10 weeks for example... ??

I put over 2000 miles on my car the first 4 days I had it.. though not going to be anywhere near 15k in 2 months, just curious. I was planning on keeping mileage low, but since the car is so comfortable I am driving rather than flying more.

Charles
09-13-2006, 12:58 AM
I change my oil myself. Filter is 10 Euro from BMW, and I use Mobile 1 ($35). I did the initial @ 1200 miles. Then again after 5k miles. The initial had quite a bit of fine metal in the filter (wich is normal for break-in). Then after 5k the oil was pretty dark, but the vicosisty felt 3/4 of what the fresh oil felt. I have always changed the oil after 6 months regardless of miles. The block will develope condisation time to time wich can efect the oils vicosity.

lib
09-13-2006, 01:08 AM
I change my oil myself. Filter is 10 Euro from BMW, and I use Mobile 1 ($35). I did the initial @ 1200 miles. Then again after 5k miles. The initial had quite a bit of fine metal in the filter (wich is normal for break-in). Then after 5k the oil was pretty dark, but the vicosisty felt 3/4 of what the fresh oil felt. I have always changed the oil after 6 months regardless of miles. The block will develope condisation time to time wich can efect the oils vicosity.

What about it being supposedly "bad" to do it too frequently? Is there any real science behind that?

Charles
09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
What about it being supposedly "bad" to do it too frequently? Is there any real science behind that?
I don't see why. The more vicosity the lesser the friction = less wear. I think that 5k is a bit of stretch. I have used synthetic oils on my Hondas, and changed it every 3k miles. Of course they live at higher RPM.s. After warm up 4k-8k rpm.

Me530
09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
High mileage drivers don't get charged for excessive oil changes right? If you do 15000 miles every 8-10 weeks for example... ??

I put over 2000 miles on my car the first 4 days I had it.. though not going to be anywhere near 15k in 2 months, just curious. I was planning on keeping mileage low, but since the car is so comfortable I am driving rather than flying more.

As long as iDrive says its time for an oil change and the car is within the included maintenance window, its free. :thumbup: