PDA

View Full Version : Tires on X3 3.0 (2005 model year)?

Caesar
04-28-2005, 07:16 AM
I just purchased a 2005 X3 3.0 -- I live near Philadelphia, PA.

I noticed the tires that came with it are Michelin. However, in reading these forums, it looks like most people get Pirelli tires with a 2005 X3 3.0.

Note that I did not get the sports package.

So should I have Pirelli tires? Did the dealer pull a switch on me?

Is there any difference between the Michelin and Pirelli tires worth pursuing with the dealer?

Did the dealer give me the correct tires?

The only options in the car are privacy glass, pre-wiring for satellite radio and heated seats.

wheel-man
04-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Well, they should be pneumatic tires. So if they're not, I would definitely complain.

Kidding. Usually manufactureres have different suppliers for wheels and depending on when the car was made and which area of the country the car is shipping to will influence if you get one brand or the other. All the X3s in Michigan I've had as loners had Michelins.

echelon153
04-28-2005, 07:38 AM
I too have an '05 X3. It came with Bridgestone Turanza tires.

calgaryx3
04-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Agree with the above post.

As an aside, I recieved Bridgestone Turanzas on my '05 3.0I, and I think many other buyers did too.

Asif

JG
04-28-2005, 07:42 AM
I just purchased a 2005 X3 3.0 -- I live near Philadelphia, PA.

I noticed the tires that came with it are Michelin. However, in reading these forums, it looks like most people get Pirelli tires with a 2005 X3 3.0.

Note that I did not get the sports package.

So should I have Pirelli tires? Did the dealer pull a switch on me?

Is there any difference between the Michelin and Pirelli tires worth pursuing with the dealer?

Did the dealer give me the correct tires?

The only options in the car are privacy glass, pre-wiring for satellite radio and heated seats.

Mine came with Michelin a month or so ago.

Rob V
04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Bridgestone!?!? :yikes: That's the one brand I refuse to go back to. I had them on my Honda Civic and they wouldn't last more than 17k miles and I went through 2 sets. But these were Potenza RE-92 so maybe it's different with Turanza. In any case, I really don't like Bridgestone. I hope mine doesn't arrive with those. :(

Caesar
04-28-2005, 08:14 AM
So I guess I'm okay with the Michelins (I just don't trust any car dealers to not pull a fast one).

But is there any real world noticeable difference between the Michelins or the Pirillis? I just thought I heard (I know nothing about tires) -- that in general, Pirelli is a better brand.

Aaron325iT
04-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I got Pirelli Scorpion STRs on my non-sport.

Had the X3 a week now and am very happy. Great grip in wet and dry conditions. Since I've never driven on Michelins in an X3 I couldn't give you a comparison.

pps-325xit
04-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Non-sport.

HGX3.0
04-28-2005, 10:23 AM
pirelli scorpions on non-sport ...

pipo
04-28-2005, 10:30 AM
The Pirelli Scorpion STRs are probably a better tire than the Michelin that some of the X3s come with (I think it's the MXV or some variant thereof), but not appreciably better. Now if you were talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport, that would be a much better tire than the Pirelli STR.

Bottom line is that the base non-sport tires are all what another poster once referred to as "grocery-getters." Decent all around performance but not approaching the quality of a true high performance tire.

mkh
04-28-2005, 10:49 AM
pirelli scorpions on non-sport ...
It's the STR, not the Zero you are thinking about.

jdeday
04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Pirelli Scorpions on non-sport and I live in Pennsylvania.

calgaryx3
04-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Bridgestone!?!? :yikes: That's the one brand I refuse to go back to. I had them on my Honda Civic and they wouldn't last more than 17k miles and I went through 2 sets. But these were Potenza RE-92 so maybe it's different with Turanza. In any case, I really don't like Bridgestone. I hope mine doesn't arrive with those. :(

I had the RE92s on my 97 Honda Prelude, and agreeably, they were a mediocre tire. The Potenza S02s on my '01 Honda S2000 however, were some of the best performance tires I have ever experienced, despite their ability to wear out PDQ. I haven't had the Turanzas long enough to form an opinion as of yet.

Asif

Caesar
04-28-2005, 06:57 PM
The Pirelli Scorpion STRs are probably a better tire than the Michelin that some of the X3s come with (I think it's the MXV or some variant thereof), but not appreciably better. Now if you were talking about the Michelin Pilot Sport, that would be a much better tire than the Pirelli STR.

Bottom line is that the base non-sport tires are all what another poster once referred to as "grocery-getters." Decent all around performance but not approaching the quality of a true high performance tire.

I checked, it is the Michelin Pilot MXM4 on my X3. In fact, Michelin lists a version of the MXM4 as "original equipment" for BMW X3:

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinPilotMXM4.html?source=TCHP

I guess they are the equivalent of the Pirelli Scorpions.