PDA

View Full Version : Security System

shaun132
04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Why doesnt the X3 3.0 have a security system?

What do you guys do to protect your X3s

JG
04-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Mine has a red clown nose that blips every few seconds! and I park it in my garage at night.

Caesar
04-28-2005, 07:24 PM

From what I have read, seen and heard, there is NO reason to buy the alarm system the dealer tries to get you to add on at the last minute (for like $500.00).

All X3s come with an encrypted key system. They can not move unless the encrypted keys are used. So even if a thief breaks in, he ain't going anywhere. You may have a broken window, they may steal your coins or CDs, but that's it.

I find car alarms annoying and useless anyway. Does anyone pay attention to car alarms? The only time they go off is when the owner presses the wrong button or something. Then the owner panics and can't figure out how to stop it for 10 minutes.

To protect it, I simply lock it. And I never (in any car), leave valuables in view (that is just asking for a broken window). And alarms don't stop the smash and grab guys anyway.

I am so glad I no longer hear that annoying "chirp" everytime I lock my X3. I love the fact that you get visual cues only (lights flashing), and no alarm chirp.

By the way, if your dealer programs your key right, when you lock the X3, the red light in the "clown nose" will blink continuously, so it looks like you have an alarm (even though you don't). That probably is a layer of protection should a thief know about BMWs and the blinking red light. After locking, it will start to blink in about 30 seconds (not right away).

But car alarms -- who cares? More annoying than anything else. 99.999 % of the time, car alarms do nothing but wake people up, or annoy people (and not due to a thief).

If your car is stolen, that is what insurance is for.

Caesar
04-29-2005, 07:34 AM

To further explain my last post, the X3 (like most BMWs), has "coded driveaway protection".

It immobilizes the engine if your key is not used to start the car.

b-y
04-29-2005, 03:19 PM
It depends on what you want. Several insurance companies give discounts if you install a car alarm. The US-bound X3s come "alarm ready", which means the wiring is in place but not the modules. The kit is about $250; it is a DIY project except that you need to have it coded in the end by the dealer. The flat-rate for a dealer install is about 1 hour, I think.

The kit includes three parts: horn to go in the engine compartment, motion sensor that goes in the panel with the pano roof controls, and tilt sensor that goes in the cargo area below the floor. The BMW instructions and helpful hints from DIY-ers (including me) are here or at RF--just search for them.

Although I consider myself "thrifty", I actually like the alarm and think it is worth the money. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Installing the three components was a enjoyable way to get to know the X3 and how it was put together a bit better.

pps-325xit
04-29-2005, 03:45 PM
installation. Motion/tilt sensor are easy. Our dealer did the alarm programming along with the key/memory programming for no charge after self-installing the alarm components.

jeremyclark
05-15-2005, 02:00 AM
pps - how did you install the tilt sensor in your wagon? I have a xiT as well and was looking at the instructions and it seems that in our cars there is the rear windshield water tank where the sensor usually goes. I haven't found any pictures or illustrations that show where I'm to put it. any tips? other posters have said it was a pain to install, but you indicate it is pretty easy.

b-y
05-15-2005, 12:14 PM
The tilt sensor is mounted under the cargo deck floor. If you search here and at RF, you'll find both the factory installation instructions and hints for people who have done the D-I-Y install (including me).

pps-325xit
05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Back in 2001 when I bought the sport wagon, heard many complained how you had to remove a lot of trim to get to the tilt sen sor location. I've pasted a Roadfly post that I copied at the time below:

I own a 323iT in which I installed the factory alarm. The rear tilt sensor install is 99% of the job. Unless you are very comfortable in removing and replacing LOTS of interior trim, I wouldn't advise you to do it.

The sensor actually mounts inside the rear mounting bracket of the right rear (passenger side) speaker enclosure. You must remove the metal bracket from the sensor, and it will slide into a recess in the bracket designed for the purpose.

That's the easy part. The hard part is removing all the trim necessary to get at it. This includes the trim from the rear window, the trim from the right side of the lift door opening, the right rear anchor for the horizontal seat back brace, the right rear seat back, and about 50 various size philips head, torx head cap screws, and various plastic anchors the likes of which you've probably never seen. You also must remove the speaker itself from the speaker housing to get at a mounting screw inside the enclosure so that you can remove the enclosure from the car.

If all goes well, and you don't break something, the job will take you about 1-1/2 hours. Just as likely, you will drive your half-disassembled new sport wagon off to the dealer and ask them please to complete the job, which they will do for about the same price as if they had done the whole job to begin with, plus whatever pieces you broke, which won't be in stock and will be on back order for months.

Mind you, this did not happen to me. I did get the job done and learned a lot about how BMW trim goes together. But I'd rather eat monkey poop than do it again.

pps - how did you install the tilt sensor in your wagon? I have a xiT as well and was looking at the instructions and it seems that in our cars there is the rear windshield water tank where the sensor usually goes. I haven't found any pictures or illustrations that show where I'm to put it. any tips? other posters have said it was a pain to install, but you indicate it is pretty easy.

Caesar
05-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Back in 2001 when I bought the sport wagon, heard many complained how you had to remove a lot of trim to get to the tilt sen sor location. I've pasted a Roadfly post that I copied at the time below:

I own a 323iT in which I installed the factory alarm. The rear tilt sensor install is 99% of the job. Unless you are very comfortable in removing and replacing LOTS of interior trim, I wouldn't advise you to do it.

The sensor actually mounts inside the rear mounting bracket of the right rear (passenger side) speaker enclosure. You must remove the metal bracket from the sensor, and it will slide into a recess in the bracket designed for the purpose.

That's the easy part. The hard part is removing all the trim necessary to get at it. This includes the trim from the rear window, the trim from the right side of the lift door opening, the right rear anchor for the horizontal seat back brace, the right rear seat back, and about 50 various size philips head, torx head cap screws, and various plastic anchors the likes of which you've probably never seen. You also must remove the speaker itself from the speaker housing to get at a mounting screw inside the enclosure so that you can remove the enclosure from the car.

If all goes well, and you don't break something, the job will take you about 1-1/2 hours. Just as likely, you will drive your half-disassembled new sport wagon off to the dealer and ask them please to complete the job, which they will do for about the same price as if they had done the whole job to begin with, plus whatever pieces you broke, which won't be in stock and will be on back order for months.

Mind you, this did not happen to me. I did get the job done and learned a lot about how BMW trim goes together. But I'd rather eat monkey poop than do it again.

I still don't get why anyone wants or needs a car alarm in a BMW. With "coded driveaway protection" -- the only way they can move your car is if they put it on a flatbed.

A car alarm won't even stop a smash and grab thief (should you unwisely leave valuables in view), since they are gone in a few seconds anyway.

Finally, no one pays attention to car alarms anyway. They are simply considered nuisances. The only time they seem to go off is when the owner (or someone in the family) accidentlly sets it off.

And in the end, insurance will cover most, if not all of your loss, should your BMW somehow, miraculously, be stolen.

So what's the point?

B r i a n
05-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I agree, in this day an age a "noise alarm" is not going to make a difference.
Plus with BMW Assist once you report it as stolen the police know where to find it.

jeremyclark
05-17-2005, 10:28 AM
thanks for the replies. The reason I was looking into the alarm is that four days ago I had my Honda Accord stolen from right in front of my house in the middle of the night. It didn't have an alarm, just normal locks, the the crooks forced the windows down, unlocked the doors, then tore out the ignition and started it with a screwdriver. I found the car two days later parked six blocks from my house and the cops came and filed a report, etc. In that case, I regretted not having an alarm (or at least a Club or something) as a deterrant, as I definitely would have woken up had it gone off. Granted, I agree with what you're saying in that the BMW would be harder to break into, plus they wouldn't be able to drive off with it (though I'm not sure what would happen if they tear out the ignition altogether!). My wagon was parked in my driveway the same night they stole my Honda, and my theory is they knew how to steal a Honda and may have seen my blinking red lights on the rear view mirror and radio and decided it wasn't worth it.

So that was why I was looking into what would be involved in installing it myself, since it's already prewired and it seems relatively easy to install.

Taking off all of the trim doesn't sound to exicting for me, I'm always afraid I'm going to mess something up in the process. And I know how tough some of those parts are to remove since I watched (read: "helped") an installer install an ice>link wire from the cd changer area to the front of the car. It might not be worth it then, I agree.

Plus another reason I was thinking not to install it is that my lab puppy will be travelling with me in the back of the wagon a lot, and if I run into a store and leave the dog in the car, won't the motion sensors and tilt sensor set it off? Is it possible to lock it without arming the alarm?

Caesar
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
thanks for the replies. The reason I was looking into the alarm is that four days ago I had my Honda Accord stolen from right in front of my house in the middle of the night. It didn't have an alarm, just normal locks, the the crooks forced the windows down, unlocked the doors, then tore out the ignition and started it with a screwdriver. I found the car two days later parked six blocks from my house and the cops came and filed a report, etc. In that case, I regretted not having an alarm (or at least a Club or something) as a deterrant, as I definitely would have woken up had it gone off. Granted, I agree with what you're saying in that the BMW would be harder to break into, plus they wouldn't be able to drive off with it (though I'm not sure what would happen if they tear out the ignition altogether!). My wagon was parked in my driveway the same night they stole my Honda, and my theory is they knew how to steal a Honda and may have seen my blinking red lights on the rear view mirror and radio and decided it wasn't worth it.

Ahh, but that's exactly why you don't need an alarm with your BMW.

1. coded driveaway protection won't allow it to be stolen with a screwdriver or any other ignition starting mechanism -- other than the encoded key.

2. My BMW, though lacking an alarm, has the red "clown nose" on the mirror blink red when the car is locked. This feature, if not set already, can be set by your dealer.
Lock your car and wait 30 seconds or so -- if your clown nose doesn't blink -- take it to your dealer to have it set right.

So you get the same blinking red light "alarm" deterrant, AND physical theft prevention -- WITHOUT an actual noise making alarm.

Again -- so why is an alarm needed?

adc
05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Taking off all of the trim doesn't sound to exicting for me, I'm always afraid I'm going to mess something up in the process. And I know how tough some of those parts are to remove since I watched (read: "helped") an installer install an ice>link wire from the cd changer area to the front of the car. It might not be worth it then, I agree.

Plus another reason I was thinking not to install it is that my lab puppy will be travelling with me in the back of the wagon a lot, and if I run into a store and leave the dog in the car, won't the motion sensors and tilt sensor set it off? Is it possible to lock it without arming the alarm?

You don't need to, in the X3. The tilt sensor sits under the rear trunk floor. The only more "difficult" part is installing the alarm horn in the engine compartment.

As far as the doggy goes, if you press twice on the lock button, it disables the motion sensor and tilt sensor. It's a feature that has kids and pets in mind.

adc
03 330 ZHP

adc
05-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Ahh, but that's exactly why you don't need an alarm with your BMW.

1. coded driveaway protection won't allow it to be stolen with a screwdriver or any other ignition starting mechanism -- other than the encoded key.

2. My BMW, though lacking an alarm, has the red "clown nose" on the mirror blink red when the car is locked. This feature, if not set already, can be set by your dealer.
Lock your car and wait 30 seconds or so -- if your clown nose doesn't blink -- take it to your dealer to have it set right.

So you get the same blinking red light "alarm" deterrant, AND physical theft prevention -- WITHOUT an actual noise making alarm.

Again -- so why is an alarm needed?

Someone can tow your car away with far less fuss than breaking and entering. That's what the tilt sensor is for.

My insurance gives me about $50/year discount for having an alarm, so it will pay for itself in about 5 years. I intend to keep the car at least 2 years longer than that.

Also, it is simply not worth the hassle to deal with an insurance company for a stolen vehicle, then go through the process of finding a similar vehicle to buy, or adding a considerable amount to buy new etc.

For what? A $250 one-time cost that can potentially save you all that... I say it's definitely worth it.

If it's not to you, I understand. But please don't discourage others from this - because you will not be there to help them if their car gets broken into or stolen. :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

Caesar
05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Someone can tow your car away with far less fuss than breaking and entering. That's what the tilt sensor is for.

My insurance gives me about $50/year discount for having an alarm, so it will pay for itself in about 5 years. I intend to keep the car at least 2 years longer than that.

Also, it is simply not worth the hassle to deal with an insurance company for a stolen vehicle, then go through the process of finding a similar vehicle to buy, or adding a considerable amount to buy new etc.

For what? A $250 one-time cost that can potentially save you all that... I say it's definitely worth it.

If it's not to you, I understand. But please don't discourage others from this - because you will not be there to help them if their car gets broken into or stolen. :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

As far as insurance discounts, the BMW gets plenty for the passive anti-theft already included (or you should -- check with your insurer). You may be getting nothing extra for the added noise maker.

As far as discouraging, if I never hear someone's car alarm again -- I will be happy. Car alarm's are the bane of urban life (and suburban too).

Moreover, what is the likelihood someone will tow your car to steal it? That doesn't happen -- other than the repo man, or if you are parked illegally.

There is nothing to worry about -- your BMW won't be stolen -- with or without a noise maker.

It may be towed -- if you don't pay your payments, or if you park illegally -- that's it.

adc
05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
As far as insurance discounts, the BMW gets plenty for the passive anti-theft already included (or you should -- check with your insurer). You may be getting nothing extra for the added noise maker.

Mine does. So the alarm is free.

Reason enough for me. I'll get one for the X3 as well.

And please don't worry, I hardly ever go to PA so the chances of you running into my howling alarm are very small.

adc

stangmatt66
05-18-2005, 10:38 AM
If a theif wants your car, he'll find a way to take it. I spoke to a Apple store Genuis who had his brand new Porsche Cayenne stolen right out of his driveway. Porsche uses the same "coded key" security that BMW does. We've all seen "Gone in 60 Seconds" right?

Personally, when I get my X3 I am planning to have the alarm installed. I prefer the audible lock and unlock. I can walk away from the car, hit the button and hear that the truck locks. I don't want to stare at the lights, which I might not be able to see in bright sunlight. My current car, Mazda RX-8 locks silently with lights on the first push of the button and honks if you push it again in 5 seconds--I always push twice to hear the honk.

Just a personal preference.

Rob V
05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
.......... I don't want to stare at the lights, which I might not be able to see in bright sunlight.....

Wow, where are you parking? The sun? :rofl: just kidding. But if you can't see your lights flashing then that would mean that no one else on the road probably can't either. That would be illegal, wouldn't it?

Anway, you're absoutely right on several points. It's a matter of preference. I personally like the lights flashing instead of an audible alarm. Also, if a theif wants your car...he/she WILL find a way to get it. I believe that BMW's have already build a reputation for being some of the hardest cars to steal anyway so I'm sure that alone shuold deter most theives. Those that know that anyway, and still try, are probably the ones that can get by any alarm anyway.

stangmatt66
05-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow, where are you parking? The sun? :rofl: just kidding. But if you can't see your lights flashing then that would mean that no one else on the road probably can't either. That would be illegal, wouldn't it?

Usually while on the road, you see the lights because you are directly infront of or behind the car. From the side as you're walking away from the car, they are not always as visable.