PDA

View Full Version : E60 weight... interesting...

Spartacus_33
04-29-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm really trying to get my gf to hold off on getting a new car... ever since I was reunited with my baby... she has gotten the new car bug.

I would love for her to wait and do an ED of the new 3er.

In the mean time, we checked out the Acura TL last weekend (her idea) and much to my surprise it was only 170 pounds lighter than my 545!!!!! That's amazing to me... German engineering... :thumbup:

Ågent99
04-29-2005, 11:09 AM
We took a tour at the Dingolfing plant in Germany during the ED and you should see how much aluminum goes into the E60! BMW really did their homework on weight savings without sacrificing strength.

Spartacus_33
04-29-2005, 01:45 PM
We took a tour at the Dingolfing plant in Germany during the ED and you should see how much aluminum goes into the E60! BMW really did their homework on weight savings without sacrificing strength.
Agent99......nice avatar!

I wanted to tour the plant when I was there...... but couldn't get it arranged ahead of time..... with the weather being so cold and snowy, I think they cancelled the only one that was available when I was there.

bim530mer
05-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Congrats Agent on your new 545... can you give us some details (lots) about how the E60 compares to the E39...

BillP
05-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Congrats Agent on your new 545... can you give us some details (lots) about how the E60 compares to the E39...

Since I have driven Agent99's car as much or more than he has (co-pilot in Deutchland) and I have an E39 540, I'll give it a shot:

* Handling - though not tested much at the limits of adhesion, it seemed to be far, far, far better than the E39. That sucker turns FLAT with no body roll - amazing. The steering is lighter than the E39, but not so much so that it feels disconnected like a mid-80's Cadillac. At high speeds (140+) the car was significantly more stable than my car when I was doing the same route in '00. The adaptive steering (or whatever it is called) takes some getting use to at low speeds since it boosts steering a lot.

* Ride - tough to compare since I haven't had BMW shocks/springs in my car for a while, but it seemed to be a bit softer (good soft, not bad soft) than my 540i/Sport when new.

* Acceleration - similar to the E39, but with less fuss and noise and a seemingly flatter torque curve.

* Brakes - the usual Teutonic excellence.

* Looks - I still have my E39 - 'nuff said.

* Electronics - much better than I was expecting. iDrive works. Yes, it takes a few minutes to get comfortable with, but it was consistent and easy to use. The logic7 stereo is very good as well. HUD is way cool and would be fantastic in inclement weather at night when you feel you can't look away from the road for even a split-second. The NAV is vastly improved over the crappy CD-based NAV on the E39. One big (OK, HUGE) improvement is the shift of most car options from dealer-programmable to user-programmable. Want to make the key fob go from one-push open-all-doors to two-push? No problem, DIY.

* SMG - good, but not perfect. It seems to not shift as well as a manual or as well as an automatic, but does both very well. For the auto-mode, sport mode was less jerky than non-sport.

* Cup-holders - they went from a 1 out of 10 to a 4. Good progress, but my big-gulp has no place to go and wine glasses are specifically verboten - damn!

* Candy bar cooler - very nice (let's see if anyone knows what the hell I am talking about, even those who own the car probably haven't seen it)

* Various stuff (ventilation, seating comfort, blah blah) - all good

Bill

bim530mer
05-09-2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks BillP for that great bullet summary..

That's what I wanted to hear... greater straight line stability as poeple can't distinguish Caprice straight line stability to BMW :rofl:

And man we get that little cup fridge for candy bars... why can't they make the compartment in the passenger side AC ventilated as well?

Q for you:
How quiet is it comparing the E39 both wind and road?
Did it get the new brakes in the E90?
I think the xenon module is new, is it any better?
Studpid electronic noises at initialization and idling are they any better now?

By the way did you notice the funny little reverse tail lights?

noonehome
05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
* Candy bar cooler - very nice (let's see if anyone knows what the hell I am talking about, even those who own the car probably haven't seen it)

Bill

...you mean the bottom portion of the center armrest compartment.

Ågent99
05-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Bill nailed about everything and echoes my sentiments.

I wish I could remember more clearly but the car, overall, seemed quieter to me than my E39 (2001 530i). We did hit 150 mph a couple of times on the autobahn and surely I was concentrating on other things but I sure don't recall the wind buffeting being distracting although there wasn't much that could've distracted me at 150 mph!! :)

Dunno what brakes the E90 has. I'm guessing the 5s should have better to equal the equipment of the 3s.

The adaptive head light is pretty cool as it will turn with the car and light things ahead of you better than lights that don't turn.

Funny reverse lights? Nope! Now I gotta check! :D