PDA

View Full Version : throwing it in neutral

FirstBMW
04-29-2005, 10:08 AM
I have a 6 month old X3 2.5 with auto trans. It seems like when I am going downhills and some straightaways that when I take my foot off the gas and coast, the transmission gives some resistance and slows the vehicle down. Sometimes it causes the car to lurch a bit. The other day, in those circumstances, I threw it in neutral and the ride seemed to be much smoother with no deceleration or lurching. I coasted down a hill into a red light, and then after stopping, put it back in D and went on my merry way. I have been doing this for the past 2 days in stop and go traffic, and I find the ride more comfortable.

I realize that this may not be ideal (not recommending neutral drops for regular driving), but has anyone else had a similar problem with the auto trans, or have they tried the same thing? And, please don't tell me that I should have just bought the manual trans., my wife vetoed that. :cry:

Thanks.

Rob V
04-29-2005, 10:17 AM
I think they do this to prevent you from speeding downhill from momentum. My Freelander does this and I personally like it. It keeps you from having to ride the breakes if you start going too fast. An option you can try is using the Step to get into a comfortable gear and downshift from there. There will probably still be lurching but at least you can controll them.

rrinker
05-02-2005, 07:10 AM
What you are describing is exactly why I tolerate a BMW automatic. Every other auto transmission car I have had ALWAYS upshifts as soon as any force is relieved, such as letting off the gas or going down hill, ANNOYING because I certainly don't drive a manual like that. It makes driving the BMW automatic much more pleasant. In my manual car, if I start out and get to say, 3rd gear and come to a curve, I don;t throw it into 5th as I go around the curve, I leave it in third, or even downshift - this is the way the BMW automatic works. Perfect! Well, most of the time. Occasionally it guesses wrong, but it mostly works great, even in a previous 98 328 which was before Steptronic.

--Randy

FirstBMW
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time, you shouldn't expect a strong lurch forward like I get. Seriously, it has caused me to spill my coffee at times all over the cupholder! :cry: I've done some limited race car training and understand the basic concepts of what you want your transmission to do. I'm begining to wonder if I have a transmission issue since no one else has responded that they have this problem :dunno:

M-PIRE
05-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I've got 2000 miles on mine now and have several downhill stretches on my daily commute. I've not had the lurching problem you describe. I can feel it downshift from time to time but never causing a lurch. I'd suggest taking it in.

dkl
05-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I have a 6 month old X3 2.5 with auto trans. It seems like when I am going downhills and some straightaways that when I take my foot off the gas and coast, the transmission gives some resistance and slows the vehicle down. Sometimes it causes the car to lurch a bit. The other day, in those circumstances, I threw it in neutral and the ride seemed to be much smoother with no deceleration or lurching. I coasted down a hill into a red light, and then after stopping, put it back in D and went on my merry way. I have been doing this for the past 2 days in stop and go traffic, and I find the ride more comfortable.

I realize that this may not be ideal (not recommending neutral drops for regular driving), but has anyone else had a similar problem with the auto trans, or have they tried the same thing? And, please don't tell me that I should have just bought the manual trans., my wife vetoed that. :cry:

Thanks.

Is anyone annoyed that you have to tap the brake pedal to go between D and N and vice versa? I've driven many automatics that don't require this (you can move between D and N freely without needing the brake pedal to be depressed).