PDA

View Full Version : Question - Can you order the M3 Competition Package Rims for a regular M3??

Silver TT
04-30-2005, 03:21 AM
Can you go out and order the competition package rims for a standard model M3 or do you need a competition package VIN # or something? If not, what would be a replacement to the comp package rim...like a BBS or something in the same dimensions?

Thanks,

Dan

JPinTO
04-30-2005, 05:05 AM
They are not a separately orderable option... only comes with the ZCS/ZCP package..

The wheels are orderable by part# from any BMW dealer or from here:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=M3COMPWHEELS

The downside with these wheels is the fronts need a spacer.

Also, there are cheaper replicas coming out soon available in 18s or 19s with proper offsets on the front:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=58627

Technic
04-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Can you go out and order the competition package rims for a standard model M3 or do you need a competition package VIN # or something? If not, what would be a replacement to the comp package rim...like a BBS or something in the same dimensions?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, you can go to a BMW dealer -or thru TurnerMotorsport in JPinTO post above- and order the ZCP wheels, no VIN# is required.

The downside with these wheels is the fronts need a spacer.

That is incorrect... no spacers are needed or required for the ZCP front wheels in a stock M3; maybe, just maybe if a BBK is planned to be installed, but not for a bone stock M3. They have the same dimensions and offset as the Double Spoke, OEM 19"s. :thumbup:

LMC
04-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Also, there are cheaper replicas coming out soon available in 18s or 19s with proper offsets on the front:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=58627

I was very interested to see the replica wheels available in 18-inch. On further reflection, though...a replica wheel made by an unknown manufacturer that I would buy for $850 for a set of four wheels and fit to a 150-mph car? How's the quality assurance program in that wheel factory? Do they actually test the wheels in any meaningful manner?

I love the looks of the style 127M wheel, but would prefer to stay with 18-inch. If I could find a TUV-approved replica, I would be all over it! But I have serious reservations about the Velocity Motoring replicas.

JPinTO
04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
That is incorrect... no spacers are needed or required for the ZCP front wheels in a stock M3; maybe, just maybe if a BBK is planned to be installed, but not for a bone stock M3. They have the same dimensions and offset as the Double Spoke, OEM 19"s. :thumbup:

"Need" was the incorrect word. There's an offset difference between them and the CSL wheels. I personally think something looks wrong with the ZCP fronts... hence I'd "need" spacers.

JPinTO
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I was very interested to see the replica wheels available in 18-inch. On further reflection, though...a replica wheel made by an unknown manufacturer that I would buy for $850 for a set of four wheels and fit to a 150-mph car? How's the quality assurance program in that wheel factory? Do they actually test the wheels in any meaningful manner?

Great questions... info isn't forth coming yet. I've seen the 18" wheels in person... and they looked really high quality. Looks can be deceiving... hence why I haven't ordered them yet.

Technic
04-30-2005, 06:24 PM
"Need" was the incorrect word. There's an offset difference between them and the CSL wheels. I personally think something looks wrong with the ZCP fronts... hence I'd "need" spacers.

Yes... however, there is more than an offset difference between the ZCP and the CSL front wheels: ZCPs are 19" X 8" ET 47, CSLs are 19" X 8.5" ET 44, thus the difference in look. :thumbup:

LMC
04-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Great questions... info isn't forth coming yet. I've seen the 18" wheels in person... and they looked really high quality. Looks can be deceiving... hence why I haven't ordered them yet.

Yeah, I think the party line is that these wheels are "really high-quality and manufactured to the highest standards."

Uh, okay... :tsk:

Artificial heart patient about to go under the knife: "Good news! The heart that you are getting is a new type that we're just getting here in the hospital. The old ones were made by this outfit in California and cost your health insurance $130,000 each! The new ones are a copy of the old ones and are made in a factory in the third world; they only cost your insurance $8,000!"

:angel:

Silver TT
05-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. And thanks for the links JPinto.

I am about to order my '05 M3 today. I have wanted one of these for a long time. Always been into more muscle cars like corvettes and vipers, but I am at a point in my life where I appreciate the interior and the build quality of a car as much as the raw performance...and the M3 is no slouch either.

Two other questions since you guys have been so helpful thus far:

1. I am a little torn on whether or not I should wait for the V8 in '06/07. What are the most realistic estimates about release dates and/or the date I could actually take delivery if I put my deposit down right now? Also, do you think the car will be considerably faster? I image with a 70 HP bump (rumored) it will be significantly faster but who knows. If it goes from 4.6/4.7 like the current car to 4.4/4.5 or something I don't need to wait for that. But if it is an all around improved car (interior, exterior, motor, MPG, etc.) then maybe I can buy something like a used S4 to hold me over until the new model comes out.

2. If I do order the 2005 and figure I'll wait for the hysteria to die down about the '06/07 should I get the 18" or the 19"? I really want the Comp Package rims anyway so I will most likely order them separately, but what should I get from the factory? I like the look of the 18s a little better actually so I wouldn't pay the premium for the 19s, but most of the cars I am seeing in the lots have the 19s.

Thanks again guys,

Dan

JPinTO
05-02-2005, 08:05 AM
V8 M3 or I6 M3? I'm not sure there's a lot of info available currently on the V8 M3. It should solve the S54's relative lack of torque. I believe (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that we won't be seeing the M3 next year.

I personally haven't been too enthralled with the M5 & M6 releases. I know it's highly personal and subjective and both vehicles are powerhouses, but they don't do much for me. I personally like the E39M5 over the E60M5... so I don't view the newer one as "better". I look forward to seeing what the E90M3 turns out to be with costs, options, looks, mileage and whether it will tempt me out of my E46M3. I'm not so sure it will... but it might. My mind is open.

Regarding the wheels, I'm not a huge fan of the styling of either the OEM 18 or 19 both are very busy and a PITA to clean. But the 18 looks a tiny bit better with the inset spokes, is more comfortable on the road (potholes) and at least you can mount snows on them or use them on the track plus they are "free". The CSL/ZCS wheels are beautiful, so I'd get the 18s & CSL's.

Cowboy Bebop
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I went with the OEM 18's to save the 1.7k for aftermarket wheels that I really loved.
then these came up and that is what I spent the extra on... very happy I did it that way.

E90 V8 will not be here for about 2 years so if you want to wait that long...
I am not too keen on the styling direction I am seeing, and the new M may or may not make my heart beat faster. If not, then I will look else where.
I also wonder how much heavier and how many more unwanted "Gadgets" it will come with... and how much more thay will ask for it.

Mr. E
05-02-2005, 01:41 PM
I went with the OEM 18's to save the 1.7k for aftermarket wheels that I really loved.
then these came up and that is what I spent the extra on... very happy I did it that way.Hey Cowboy, I remember the discussion about those wheels. They're forged as opposed to these cast replicas, right? are those wheels still being made? Who is the contact?

Silver TT
05-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey Cowboy and Jpinto - Thanks again for your thoughts.

Yeah...not entirely sure I like the styling direction either and I definitely don't want to wait 2 years to get my next ride. Life is too short for that. Also a bit concerned about how many crazy angles and gadgets it may have on the inside. The Z4 and new 3 are a little out there for me.

I have been offered about $1.5k off MSRP for a new '05 optioned exactly the way I want so I guess I'll take that deal.

As for the wheels - I am going with the 18s and then will probably get a set of the Comp package wheels directly from BMW as I think they look pretty damn nice on these cars.

Silver TT
05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
then these came up and that is what I spent the extra on... very happy I did it that way.

I agree! Youre wheels look great.

They are 19s I guess? What are type and size tire are you running? I've seen a lot of guys go with a 245 front 275 rear when upgrading to aftermarket rims, but are there any fitment issues with doing that?

Thanks,

Dan

JPinTO
05-02-2005, 07:27 PM
No fitment issues with 245/35 275/30.

Cowboy Bebop
05-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree! Youre wheels look great.

They are 19s I guess? What are type and size tire are you running? I've seen a lot of guys go with a 245 front 275 rear when upgrading to aftermarket rims, but are there any fitment issues with doing that?

Thanks,

Dan

I am running Michelin PS-2's on 19's and 265/30/19-f 275/30/19-r... I did this to gain an almost neutral steering response... getting rid of the understeer!

Hey Cowboy, I remember the discussion about those wheels. They're forged as opposed to these cast replicas, right? are those wheels still being made? Who is the contact?

E - AFAIK, chuckd@roadfly.org is still the contact person.
they are made by RAC Monolites and are indeed forged.
wider and lighter than the ZCP wheels, with a more aggressive offset.

OSGP
05-03-2005, 12:45 PM
...But the 18 looks a tiny bit better with the inset spokes...

All 19 OEMs don't have the inset spokes, and it's only available in 18s? So all 19s have the spokes flushing with rim lips, while the 18s have the 'deep dish' look? I am a bit confused on the terminology. Sorry for the stupid question. Thanks!

Silver TT
05-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I was looking at the ZCP wheels and the 19" optional wheels on a few M3s at the dealership the other day. I couldn't believe the fact there was absolutely zero tire overhang over the rim - the 255 rear tires is literally strechted to fit over the rim.

Some people have said BMW did this to save money (doubtful) or to keep the car safer with less rear tire grip and less oversteer potential....what do you guys think?

Either way I see myself upgrading to the 245/275 dimensions sooner or later if I get the ZCP package. Will also help with curb rash.

RVakharia
05-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Just to let you guys know, that I'll have pictures of the replica CSL wheels mounted & balanced onto an E46 M3 so you guys can see exactly how the replica wheels may differ compared to the OEM wheels.

If you guys like how it looks, then just feel free to PM me on m3forum.com :)

JPinTO
05-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Just to let you guys know, that I'll have pictures of the replica CSL wheels mounted & balanced onto an E46 M3 so you guys can see exactly how the replica wheels may differ compared to the OEM wheels.

If you guys like how it looks, then just feel free to PM me on m3forum.com :)

On 19s??

RVakharia
05-18-2005, 11:31 AM
On 19s??

Yes it's 19s. The wheels are 19x8.5 in the front w/ 9.5s in the rear. The wheels weigh approximately 25.5lbs.

NewM3
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I heard that the Competition pgk wheels from turner sport are not original. anyone has comments on this? did anyone order from turnersport yet? :dunno:

Shades
05-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I heard that the Competition pgk wheels from turner sport are not original. anyone has comments on this? did anyone order from turnersport yet? :dunno:
They are the OEM M3 competition package wheels.Some guys on the M3 Forum have ordered them.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=M3COMPWHEELS

LMC
05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I think Turner's are genuine BMW.

Particularly for left coasters, though, you can beat Turner's price at Crevier -- and possibly other west coast dealers. Save on shipping, too, I'd guess.

danphipps
06-05-2005, 07:23 PM
I bought a set of ZCP wheels from a BMW dealer. $450 each. They look great on my 05 M3. The original 19"'s went in the ZCP boxes and are in my attic.

Pinecone
06-06-2005, 09:13 AM
1) Less rear grip would INCREASE oversteer, not decrease it.

2) Why pay for 19s if you are going to get comp wheels in the hear future?

3) Reality is, the E90 M3 is going to probably be a late 07 model (01 E46 M3 came out in March of 01), and sell for $5K - $15K OVER MSRP for at least a year. And expect the MSRP to be a bit higher than the current one. So deal wise, you are looking at least 09 models for less than MSRP.