PDA

View Full Version : OK - So where is the brake fluid on 530?

abqhudson
04-30-2005, 08:19 PM
I was going to open my brake fluid while I changed brake pads to a no-dust type and can't determine where this is on my 2004 530i. Manual says under the micro filter. I don't see it there. Help please.

Caliper assembly looks very different from the ones on my three series cars - is there anything that I need to be particularly careful about when changing pads on the 530?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

WAM
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Without reference to the engine compartment, I would imagine it is in the same location as the E39. On an E39, there were dual microfilters. You have to remove the microfilter housing, on the driver side, to gain access to the brake fluid reservoir. It is not difficult to remove that, I think there are Torx T30 or T40 screws holding the housing in place.

Ågent99
05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
On the E39, you just undo one little metal "wire ring/clip" thingy, pull out a sensor, and then unsnap the large plastic "hose" and kinda jimmy out the microfilter housing. You'll find the master cylinder right there, driver's side as stated above.

I dunno how different the E60 is...no clue in fact. I managed to NOT look at that while putting 1250 miles on in Europe at the end of March! :D