PDA

View Full Version : BMW's Roadside Assist?

Caesar
05-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Okay, so I have my new 2005 X3 3.0. I didn't pay extra for the premium package (which seems to include roadside assist).

However, there is a sticker on my door, which gives a number for BMW's roadside assist.

Do I have that? Do you need to pay extra for it?

What would happen if I called that number? Do they charge on a per incident basis since I don't have the premium package?

Can anyone explain this BMW roadside assist and how it works in my situation.

jliu34740
05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I think you're confusing BMW Assist with BMW roadside assistance.

BMW Assist is a like GM Onstar. It is optional. You pay a monthly fee, you can call a number to get emergency assistance, hotel reservation, operator assistance etc.

BMW roadside assistance is like AAA service. It comes standard with 2005 X3.

Caesar
05-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I think you're confusing BMW Assist with BMW roadside assistance.

BMW Assist is a like GM Onstar. It is optional. You pay a monthly fee, you can call a number to get emergency assistance, hotel reservation, operator assistance etc.

BMW roadside assistance is like AAA service. It comes standard with 2005 X3.

Okay, I didn't know they were two different things.

So this standard service -- what exactly is it, and how does it work?

If I have AAA (which I do), should I not renew it now due to BMW's roadside assistance? Is BMW's roadside assistance any good, and how does it compare to AAA?

FirstBMW
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I tried hitting my BMW Assist button to make dinner reservations, and they told me that I had to dial an 800 number from my cell phone. Was that right?

climrgrl
05-02-2005, 02:21 PM
I realize you don't have BMW Assist, but if you wanted to learn more about it, there's good information available on the Owner's Circle website. After you log in, go to "BMW Information" then "BMW Assist." There are also some enhanced roadside assistance and emergency benefits of having it -- mainly, they'll already know the GPS location of your car.

Caesar
05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
I realize you don't have BMW Assist, but if you wanted to learn more about it, there's good information available on the Owner's Circle website. After you log in, go to "BMW Information" then "BMW Assist." There are also some enhanced roadside assistance and emergency benefits of having it -- mainly, they'll already know the GPS location of your car.

I'm not buying anything more for the car. I'm curious as to whether the regular roadside assistance is good (comparable to AAA). If so, I can stop paying for AAA.

jliu34740
05-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm not buying anything more for the car. I'm curious as to whether the regular roadside assistance is good (comparable to AAA). If so, I can stop paying for AAA.

I have not had to use it yet so I can't comment. But my dad's car came with roadside assistance from Infinite and it works great. I think they all use pretty much the same local towing service. AAA being the largest probably has better coverage.

I also have AAA, I am keeping it. For me 2 reasons:
1. It also covers my wife's car which doesn't have manufacturer's roadside help
2. Free maps (although that's becoming less useful since I got my pocketPC GPS)

In the end, it's peace of mind knowing AAA covers drivers so I can call them while driving any car in the US or canada. (not sure if BMW's cover Canada).

Caesar
05-03-2005, 04:05 AM
I have not had to use it yet so I can't comment. But my dad's car came with roadside assistance from Infinite and it works great. I think they all use pretty much the same local towing service. AAA being the largest probably has better coverage.

I also have AAA, I am keeping it. For me 2 reasons:
1. It also covers my wife's car which doesn't have manufacturer's roadside help
2. Free maps (although that's becoming less useful since I got my pocketPC GPS)

In the end, it's peace of mind knowing AAA covers drivers so I can call them while driving any car in the US or canada. (not sure if BMW's cover Canada).

Looks like Canada is covered by BMW (and Puerto Rico if you can driver it over water). Found this on www.bmwusa.com:

"The BMW Roadside Assistance program reflects BMW's commitment to your complete satisfaction with the BMW ownership experience. It is available for U.S.-version BMWs that are covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection Plan. Assistance extends to all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This program provides towing and on-site assistance during the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection Plan. Additionally, the program provides for towing your vehicle to the nearest authorized BMW center in the event of an accident; custom trip routing services (maps and itineraries); and even provides trip interruption benefits for mechanical breakdowns covered under warranty when you are 100 or more miles from home."

I guess I need AAA for my wife and her car (when I drive it too). I have to find out if AAA will lower rates for one car and 2 drivers (as opposed to 2 cars and 2 drivers).

Bart001
05-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I guess I need AAA for my wife and her car (when I drive it too). I have to find out if AAA will lower rates for one car and 2 drivers (as opposed to 2 cars and 2 drivers).

AAA charges by the driver, not by the car. This is because AAA covers the driver in any car they are driving, whether or not the driver owns the car. Conversely, AAA does not cover the car per se. (Some limitations apply, but that's the general idea -- AAA covers the driver, not the car.)

Caesar
05-03-2005, 09:41 AM
AAA charges by the driver, not by the car. This is because AAA covers the driver in any car they are driving, whether or not the driver owns the car. Conversely, AAA does not cover the car per se. (Some limitations apply, but that's the general idea -- AAA covers the driver, not the car.)

Hmm, so I guess I can't get rid of AAA -- since I need coverage in case I'm not driving the BMW.

Oh well.

tromar1
05-06-2005, 07:38 AM
I tried hitting my BMW Assist button to make dinner reservations, and they told me that I had to dial an 800 number from my cell phone. Was that right?
BMW assist gave you the # to BMW Concierge. The reps at assist act as if you're are bothering them when BMW owners assume that they are able. However, I have asked the reps at BMW Concierge if the reps at BMW assist are able to transer me over to them considering I forgot my cell, and they said yes. I have not tried it yet.

Woody
05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I used BMW roadside assistance for the first time this weekend. Stupid me, I was running late to get home and my low fuel light was on & my range said 10 miles (luckily I was just around the block from my house) and about 50 yards from my driveway my range went to "----" & I turned my car off in the driveway. I knew that I couldn't have made it to the gas station (about 1/2 mile away) without risking a Service Engine Soon light due to a misfire and didn't want to run my car out of gas. I called roadside and the had a guy come out & deliver 2 gals. of gas to my house. He said "How do you run out of gas at your house?" and he must of thought I was an idiot. But when you work a 55-60 hour week and your wife wants you home-and you haven't seen your child in 4 days you do things like this. With gas at almost $3 a gal. here I wonder how many times I could get away with this :rofl: ! Just kidding. I know, I know, I shouldn't have been running the car on such a low tank of gas. I don't do it often.

Roadside did a good job. They subletted out the work to a guy who just does lock-outs ( I wanted to ask him how he gets into a BMW, because I know it is just about impossible) and gas.

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
( I wanted to ask him how he gets into a BMW, because I know it is just about impossible) and gas.

I was pondering this today too. When I picked up the car and was introduced to BMW Assist, my dealer told me that they could remotely unlock your doors and turn on the interior lights, to assist a rescue crew if you were in an accident. Maybe they can do the same if you lock yourself out. But if they have a person come out, maybe it's the old coat-hanger trick, scratching up your door and stuff. Yikes!

Woody
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
No, I don't think that it is like the "OnStar" where they can remotely unlock the doors and stuff, unless this is new for 05 or 06?

jliu34740
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I was pondering this today too. When I picked up the car and was introduced to BMW Assist, my dealer told me that they could remotely unlock your doors and turn on the interior lights, to assist a rescue crew if you were in an accident. Maybe they can do the same if you lock yourself out. But if they have a person come out, maybe it's the old coat-hanger trick, scratching up your door and stuff. Yikes!

I think there may be a miscommunication. I know all late model BMW's including X3's will unlock your door and turn on lights if airbag is deployed (ususally in an accident). This feature does not require BMW assist. It's possible that your car will send a signal to BMW assist if airbag is deployed so they can dispatch EMC to you once they pinpoint you using GPS. I don't think BMW Assist can remote unlock your door like Onstar can. Correct me if I am wrong.

jdeday
05-12-2005, 08:04 PM

You have to have your credit card on file with BMW Assist for them to make any type of reservations for you. I think there is a $4.95 charge per incident for the concierge service. Did your client advisor place a courtesy call when you took delivery of your vehicle? This is when they would have asked you to file a credit card with them.

Jeff