PDA

View Full Version : X3 bumper replacement

marcusinfl
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know how much to replace a rear bumper with labor on an X3. Luck me has the car for 2 months and someone just ran into me! The cop talked me out of filing a police report. Thanks
Marcus :rofl:

MPoWeRMAN
05-02-2005, 07:12 PM
did you get their insurance? its probably over $500 with labor and parts, why would you worry about the cost since it was the person who hit you's fault and their insurance will pay for it?

Dr. Phil
05-02-2005, 08:08 PM
$900

pshire
05-02-2005, 08:50 PM
I ordered an X3 with an aerodynamic kit and i asked the dealer to give me the original bumpers as well - so i should have all the original equipment and would be happy to sell them. I'm in san diego - the car is expected in late June.

pshire
05-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Please accept my apology if my previous response was inappropriate for this forum -
sorry
paul

mysticbluex3
05-03-2005, 07:44 AM
The plastic bumper cover itself will only run you $220. From what I heard you can easily install that yourself. Dealer install will probably take 1 hour. I'm guessing your looking at $300-$400 if there are no internal damages.

marcusinfl
05-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am still waiting for a quote from the dealer. The reason I care about price is becasue the cop talked us out of filing a report because he said our insurance would go up for both of us since it was an accident in a parking lot and he has no proof of who was at fault. I probably should have just filed, but moving on... I need to take care of it. My poor baby has a boo boo! :yikes:

mysticbluex3
05-03-2005, 09:29 AM
The cop is right, the fault will probably be split 50/50. If the cost of replacing the bumper is less than your deductable. Just go ahead and leave the insurance in the dark about it. Why pay the deductable and have your insurance rate go up.

Rick480
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I removed and replaced my rear bumper shell, to install a hitch, and that wasn't difficult at all. Maybe 30 minutes work. Since they are all dark grey, painting isn't an issue. I even saw some on ebay a few months ago, probably taken off for aero kit. As far as the steel bumper goes (behind the plastic), if that is damaged those should be available, too, because they are removed to install the bmw hitch. (two bolts each side) I know I have a nice shiny new one laying in my apartment that I stub my toe on occasionally. I would say anoteher 30 minutes for that. If there is damage beyond the plastic shell and steel reinforcement, I don't think you want to mess with it.

marcusinfl
05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
rick 480-
Do you know if the bumper come with instructions? Do you know where I can find them online? Im sure there is no damage beyond the plastic bumber the impact was very small and seems to only be cosmetic. But I dont' want drive around with a 4" dent in my bumper. The autobody place my local dealer uses says it will cost $890.00. BMW doesn't do the work but will sell me just the bumper for $260. That is a huge savings if I can figure it out.

sfca-325i
05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
I believe rick posted the instructions for the hitch install and then replied to my question about bumper removal. May want to check that out.

marcusinfl
05-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I just downloaded that zip file. It has instructions AFTER the bumper is removed. Help!

Rick480
05-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I didn't have the instructions for the bumper (fascia) removal, but it was quite simple. I believe there was a screw or two in each wheelwell, and one underneath in the center. After that the fascia slides off toward the back. Goes back on in reverse.

marcusinfl
05-05-2005, 05:48 AM
I got an estimate from the dealer's certified bodyshop (not a BMW only shop) and they said $860, then I took it to a local shop. They are using a BMW bumper and the total will be $320. Thanks for all your help!

marcusinfl
05-12-2005, 02:24 PM
I got my car back. It took two hours and cost $320 from the non-certified BMW repair place. They used a BMW bumper though and saved me over $500!

BMW's collision center wanted $860-890! So if you need repair shop it!