PDA

View Full Version : Big Dilemma over here: Competition package or not?? Opinions Please?

Silver TT
05-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Hey guys,

I was in the dealership tonight about to put down my deposit on an '05 Steel Gray fully loaded when I started looking at another M3 on the showroom floor with the comp package.

WHAT I LIKE (about the comp package):

1. I love the ZCP wheels. I am 90% sure I would buy them on the base M3 anyway as an extra set and maybe mount some all weather tires on the 18" wheels.
2. The larger and cross drilled rotors. I had no idea the ZCP package had upgraded braking as well. Anyone have track test #s that say whether or not the larger and drilled rotors have a true performance increase? They should, but thats not always the case from my experience. The vette Z51 has almost no performance increase with the drilled rotors.
3. Exclusivity - the comp package is obviously a bit more exclusive since it was only offered in the last year of production.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

1. You lose the streering wheel controls. This is really big for me as I love radio and cruise controls on the steering wheel. Really can't make up my mind on this one. I am so pissed you can't have it both ways.
2. Louder brakes - Supposedly the brakes are noticeable louder with the comp package and probably break down a bit quicker since they are more track oriented.
3. $4,000. For $4,000 extra you can get a pretty mean set of rims (probably even lighter than the ZCP) from BBS or someone else and still have a few dollars left over. But you don't get the improved braking or exclusivity.

Have I considered all the issues? What would you guys do if you were buying it over today? Keep in mind I am 90% sure I will swap out the stock 19s for the ZCPs one way or the other. But I don't really like the alcantra wheel since I want the steering controls.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: So undecided at this point. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

bren
05-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Search.

Silver TT
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Search.

Bren - I actually did a search before I posted and only found one thread which doesn't even talk about any of the questions I have - which is why I posted. Would love to see some other threads if this topic has been hashed out a bunch of times.

bren
05-02-2005, 07:01 PM
The ZCP pkg. is just a marketing ploy to sell more cars as the model is on its last legs.

If steering wheel controls are important then just buy the wheels from Turner and sell the wheels that come on the car, or use them for snow tires.

LMC
05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I went through some of this same thing, Dan. There certainly are things about the ZCP that I like, although it is not clear to me exactly how usably different they are from a non-ZCP car. You did not mention different DSC and steering; those have the potential to be good, but I've not yet seen a lot of evidence. They probably make very little difference for street driving -- just like the brakes.

There are a couple of things on the ZCP that I specifically do not like and would probably want to change out: alcantara steering wheel and the competition aluminum trim. Not hard to do and it would probably be very easy to sell those ZCP items on eBay. The cruise control was a consideration for me, also.

I think they were going to call it the Club Sport package at first; in a way that makes more sense to me. If you buy a ZCP with minimal other options, it's a great car to take to the track and have fun with. If you want Interlagos Blue, ZCP is the way to get it.

I decided it was too much buck for the bang for me. I can certainly see where others might go the other way. Either way a good car!

Pinecone
05-03-2005, 04:17 AM
If you are planning on loading hte car up, then don't get the ZCP pacakge. If you like the wheels, get them. But overall for most people the ZCP offers them little to nothing real.

RChoudry
05-03-2005, 07:03 AM
my experiences with steering racks are well known to the board I'm sure. A better, quicker, tighter rack would have sold the package for me, but experiences with the ZCP steering and my own driving it do not confirm that the rack is that much better.

I'd never pay that much for wheels alone and the cosmetics are a nice touch, but I couldn't get myself to get it.

You must drive one to conclude a decision.

Moderato
05-03-2005, 08:33 AM
I like the idea of the track DSC mode.

I understand your feeling about the steering wheel buttons but if you think about it, it really doesn't take that much more effort to reach over to the radio.

I don't like the Alcantara steering wheel, in fact I think they are doing away with it for the current ZHP's.

The trim is OK, and I like it much better then the ZHP cube trim but I think I might prefer the Aluminum.

The wheels are great and the steering is probably improved, but I think you would have to drive both to make that decision.

Brakes are subject to debate.

It's a tough decision that's for sure. I pretty much feel the same as you about the ZCP there's 50% of it I like and 50% I don't like.

Maybe wait for the 06 M3, if it happens.

Silver TT
05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
If you are planning on loading hte car up, then don't get the ZCP pacakge. If you like the wheels, get them. But overall for most people the ZCP offers them little to nothing real.

Thank you guys for the opinions.

I agree with all the comments on the steering wheel controls and the $4k being a lot of money for just wheels since you can get the same set for about $1700 plus about $1200 for tires and then turn around and sell your 18s with new tread for hopefully about $1-2k or so.

But what about the braking. Has anyone done a magazine test or braking comparison where the CSL/ZCP braking system is considerably better at either fade resistance or stopping distance or even pedal feel?

If so, then when you add up the $3k for the wheels/tires and another $1-2k for a comparable brake packate the ZCP package starts to make a lot more sense. That is my dillema right now. :dunno:

LMC
05-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Thank you guys for the opinions.

I agree with all the comments on the steering wheel controls and the $4k being a lot of money for just wheels since you can get the same set for about $1700 plus about $1200 for tires and then turn around and sell your 18s with new tread for hopefully about $1-2k or so.

But what about the braking. Has anyone done a magazine test or braking comparison where the CSL/ZCP braking system is considerably better at either fade resistance or stopping distance or even pedal feel?

If so, then when you add up the $3k for the wheels/tires and another $1-2k for a comparable brake packate the ZCP package starts to make a lot more sense. That is my dillema right now. :dunno:

Cost of 19s: 4 wheels at $2,000 + 4 tires & mounting at, say, $1,200 = $3,200. Sell your 18" wheels and tires for $1,200 = $2,000 net.

Cost of Euro brake rotors: $900ish for a set of four. Granted these are NOT ZCP brakes with the larger front rotors. For that you probably would spend your $2K with everything. But it seems to me that you only need a brake upgrade for track use.

Magazine comparison? I wish!

bren
05-03-2005, 09:21 AM
....$1-2k for a comparable brake packate the ZCP package starts to make a lot more sense. That is my dillema right now. :dunno:
With $2k you are well on your way to a multi-piston brake upgrade.

asnpcwiz
05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
This package is just for bragging rights.

Silver TT
05-03-2005, 01:43 PM
This package is just for bragging rights.

What if you plan on tracking the car 5-6 times a year. Since these are the CSL brake rotors and calipers they should hold up considerably better under track braking conditions no? :dunno:

Other than that, I totally agree. The rims are no better than the other 19" and not as good as an aftermarket BBS LM or RGR setup and the steering wheel won't do much for you (actually I dislike it really).

bren
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
What if you plan on tracking the car 5-6 times a year. Since these are the CSL brake rotors and calipers they should hold up considerably better under track braking conditions no? :dunno: No.

Search for posts on cross drilled brake rotors...bottom line they are not track worthy.

Also, there is no change in the caliper and the parts are not directly from the CSL.

And, try to find good race rubber for 19" wheels.

Silver TT
05-04-2005, 09:14 AM
No.

Search for posts on cross drilled brake rotors...bottom line they are not track worthy.

Also, there is no change in the caliper and the parts are not directly from the CSL.

And, try to find good race rubber for 19" wheels.

Hey Bren - I am hearing from several BMW dealerships that the ZCP package is in fact the CSL braking package. But they could be wrong - as they have been before. However, I do know that the ZCP package has the same exact rotors - 13.6 vs. 12.8 for stock M3 and an upgraded Caliper. So what would be different on the CSL if the ZCP has the same rotors and calipers?

I am leaning towards the comp package for three primary reasons:

1. The wheels I will buy anyway and I have not found them less than $2,000 plus tires you are at $3200 right there. Not positive I could get $1500-1800 for the stock 18s so I am not really counting that as a swap. Maybe a $1,000 after shipping and all so I am out $2200 there.

2. Braking - while it may not be the best brake package available - it has to be more fade resistant than stock due to the ventilation and larger rotors. This is just simple physics. And a brembo setup or something would be $3,000 plus installation.

3. I would like to keep the car 100% stock (I always mod the heck out of my cars and it always costs more money than you thought and you never get the money back). I also think someone may want the slight exclusivity of a comp package when the time comes to sell the vehicle.

I see myself spending $4-5k to get the same upgrades aftermarket while losing the OEM Comp package status (clearly a debateable point) so thats my rationale - at least at this point...

Thx again for all opinions. They really help me consider the pros/cons.

D

bren
05-04-2005, 10:09 AM
So what would be different on the CSL if the ZCP has the same rotors and calipers?CSL has a different kingpin. The parts may be similar, but they are not the "same." Semanitcs mostly yes. And remember the CSL weighs several hundred lbs. less.....you'll need even larger brakes to stop the heavier ZCP as well.

bmw330pp
05-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey Bren - I am hearing from several BMW dealerships that the ZCP package is in fact the CSL braking package. But they could be wrong - as they have been before. However, I do know that the ZCP package has the same exact rotors - 13.6 vs. 12.8 for stock M3 and an upgraded Caliper. So what would be different on the CSL if the ZCP has the same rotors and calipers?

I am leaning towards the comp package for three primary reasons:

1. The wheels I will buy anyway and I have not found them less than $2,000 plus tires you are at $3200 right there. Not positive I could get $1500-1800 for the stock 18s so I am not really counting that as a swap. Maybe a $1,000 after shipping and all so I am out $2200 there.

2. Braking - while it may not be the best brake package available - it has to be more fade resistant than stock due to the ventilation and larger rotors. This is just simple physics. And a brembo setup or something would be $3,000 plus installation.

3. I would like to keep the car 100% stock (I always mod the heck out of my cars and it always costs more money than you thought and you never get the money back). I also think someone may want the slight exclusivity of a comp package when the time comes to sell the vehicle.

I see myself spending $4-5k to get the same upgrades aftermarket while losing the OEM Comp package status (clearly a debateable point) so thats my rationale - at least at this point...

Thx again for all opinions. They really help me consider the pros/cons.

D
As you stated, the ZCP gives you exclusivity, especially if you decide to sell it in the future. Point proven at this years Bimmerfest. Out of the hundreds of M3's that where there, only 1 that I saw was a ZCP. Just as well as the ZHP's. I could count the amount I saw on one hand. Money wise, it is well worth it. You basically summed up your own conclusion above. Although, I remember reading an article that stated that the Track Mode DSC on the ZCP is still too intrusive. Good luck. :thumbup:

Pinecone
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
BTW the ZCP/Euro rotors are KNOWN to crack with track work. So not a great idea in that manner.

I doubt you will stayy 100% stock. :)

bimmerguy
05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0505_bmw_m3_competition/

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=105396 **Even has a nice Video**

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102057

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_103146/newsarticle.html

Motortrend May 05
Ghost in the Machine
M3 Competition Package: Itíll haunt you.

TD330ci
05-04-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0505_bmw_m3_competition/

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=105396 **Even has a nice Video**

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102057

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_103146/newsarticle.html

Motortrend May 05
Ghost in the Machine
M3 Competition Package: Itíll haunt you.

WOW, thanks for the links. I just watched that vidio three times in a row. :D

Went into production this week. Six more weeks to go!! WOHOOO!! :thumbup:

bimmerguy
05-04-2005, 09:50 PM
WOW, thanks for the links. I just watched that vidio three times in a row. :D

Went into production this week. Six more weeks to go!! WOHOOO!! :thumbup:

Congrats!

Another great video Top Gear M3 vs S4 30gig

http://www.yoyo.org/~andy/private/TopgearM3.wmv

Silver TT
05-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Bimmerguy - Thanks for the links...awesome info in there. Love that video too. But they aren't the best test drivers if they could only get 5.1 out of the M. I have seen mags run as quick as 4.5 0-60.

While we're on the topic of the ZCP I thought I would draw your attention to this post:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96900

On the other forum a few guys said they don't know why, but the ZCPs do seem to sit a bit higher and have a larger wheel gap. No one seems to understand why yet. It is possible that the "shipping blocks" have yet to be removed from the springs as someone said, but why would they put shipping blocks in a brand new car just for a boat ride?

bimmerguy
05-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Bimmerguy - Thanks for the links...awesome info in there. Love that video too. But they aren't the best test drivers if they could only get 5.1 out of the M. I have seen mags run as quick as 4.5 0-60.

While we're on the topic of the ZCP I thought I would draw your attention to this post:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96900

On the other forum a few guys said they don't know why, but the ZCPs do seem to sit a bit higher and have a larger wheel gap. No one seems to understand why yet. It is possible that the "shipping blocks" have yet to be removed from the springs as someone said, but why would they put shipping blocks in a brand new car just for a boat ride?

All BMW's coming over have shipping blocks installed. You would have to know if the cars were prepped and the blocks removed, to see the real height. The shipping blocks stop the car from bouncing around during transport.

I have the Motortrend ZCP review and said its the "best four grand you can spend" and highly recommended the SMG.

LMC
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for posting the links, bimmerguy.

I am not passionate on the subject of the ZCP as some are, but after reading those ZCP articles I am still not sure we have good input on the differences.

Imagine you're a car writer and your assignment for today is to write up a short article on the ZCP. It's been a few months since you drove an M3 but you've driven the M3 on a number of occasions in the past few years and you figure you're pretty knowledgeable on the car.

So now you get into the ZCP M3 and drive it a little while. You read the BMW press material on the changes in the car.

Does the steering feel different? Are the brakes stronger? How much difference does the track mode in DSC make?

To really evaluate the differences, wouldn't a fairly extensive series of back-to-back drives of at least two M3s be useful?

bren
05-05-2005, 08:54 AM
To really evaluate the differences, wouldn't a fairly extensive series of back-to-back drives of at least two M3s be useful?
Not for some people :angel:

bimmerguy
05-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for posting the links, bimmerguy.

I am not passionate on the subject of the ZCP as some are, but after reading those ZCP articles I am still not sure we have good input on the differences.

Imagine you're a car writer and your assignment for today is to write up a short article on the ZCP. It's been a few months since you drove an M3 but you've driven the M3 on a number of occasions in the past few years and you figure you're pretty knowledgeable on the car.

So now you get into the ZCP M3 and drive it a little while. You read the BMW press material on the changes in the car.

Does the steering feel different? Are the brakes stronger? How much difference does the track mode in DSC make?

True, I agree with you but these guys do this for a living and that means something to me. Of course, back to back tests are required but in the real world....

Do we have any ZCP reviews posted by fellow bimmerfesters?

I do feel more positive on ZCP after reading those reviews and am now thinking of deleting the PP and getting ZCP instead.

TD330ci
05-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Not for some people :angel:

That would be me!! :p :D

Spoken like the true bren ZCP basher I know very well. :rofl: :rofl:

For some people who don't want to "mod" there car this is a nice OEM package.

If people want to spend the extra 2100 over the price of the regular M3 with the 19 inch rim option so be it.

Same could be said for Nav. Is it worth it for you. That's it. :thumbup:

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-05-2005, 11:22 AM
The bottom line is that if you insist on keeping your car stock and are aware of the fact that there's a good chance you'll have major brake issues on track (or at least will have to spend Brembo money on OEM rotors), the ZCP is a nice package. It's basically bling factor, but it's well executed bling factor.

For soemone like, say, me, the ZCP package is pretty useless. My car will kick a ZCP's ass any day of the week. But it god damned well should, with what I've spent on suspension, wheels, and tires. Since I'd probably have spent all the same money if I'd got the ZCP in the first place, the package isn't useful to me.

TD330ci
05-05-2005, 11:54 AM
The bottom line is that if you insist on keeping your car stock and are aware of the fact that there's a good chance you'll have major brake issues on track (or at least will have to spend Brembo money on OEM rotors), the ZCP is a nice package. It's basically bling factor, but it's well executed bling factor.

For soemone like, say, me, the ZCP package is pretty useless. My car will kick a ZCP's ass any day of the week. But it god damned well should, with what I've spent on suspension, wheels, and tires. Since I'd probably have spent all the same money if I'd got the ZCP in the first place, the package isn't useful to me.

Very understanable for the track person. As it should be.

But if you don't track your car? Should you not buy an M3? :dunno:

If you have the option to get a better pkg from the factory and don't want to "mod" I think its a good alternative. :)

Again if it meets your needs then do it. All a personal choice. :thumbup:

LMC
05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
But if you don't track your car? Should you not buy an M3?

Ultimately, to a person that thinks a car is a device to get you from one place to another, spending anything over the price of a Camry is just nuts.

We're all nuts! :bigpimp:

Silver TT
05-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Ultimately, to a person that thinks a car is a device to get you from one place to another, spending anything over the price of a Camry is just nuts.

We're all nuts! :bigpimp:

Well said ! And I think it sort of brings us all back to reality. Is a Ferrari 430 worth $200k? To some it is worth $500k in status and style alone and seems like a bargain at $200k. Would it get killed on the dragstrip by a $10k used LS1 Camaro with a $10k supercharger setup or a used stock Viper? Yep. Would it get killed on a road course by a $35k 1970 911 that was track prepped and weighs about 2000 lbs? Yep. But that isn't the point of the owner here.

I have a close friend who traded in his perfectly track modded 2002 911 TT at a huge loss and paid an additional $90k for the 911 GT2. Is it faster than his 911 TT was? Hell no. Is it better looking? Maybe to some who know the subtle differences. Is it the fastest 911 ever made in stock form? Yep...and thats why he bought it. He is a true lover of the 911 and wanted to keep the car stock. I feel the same way about this one after having gone through modding about 8 out of my last 10 cars - and then sort of wishing I had kept it stock. Not bashing those guys who do very tasteful mods and get great reliability and performance out of them - IMHO, I have alway felt a modded car to be a bit less reliable than a fully stock and tested platform with millions of dollars of research behind the car - and of course voiding the warranty in any area of the car is always a bit of a bummer.

Speaking of stock setups...does anyone have an opinion on the Michelin Pilot Sport vs. the Continental ContiContactSports that come on some of the ZCPs? The ZCP I would like to buy this week has the Continentals and I wouldl like to know if I should try to find one with the Pilot sports instead. Tire rack seems to rate the Pilots higher from user reviews in dry and wet testing. But would love some first hand opinions. :dunno:

FlyingDutchMan
05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Just checking, but doesn't the ZHP package come with the better quicker ration CSL steering rack? That option is over $1000 to upgrade alone and WELL worth it. Make it whole different car, the slow stock M3 is one my biggest complaints. The steeromg rack is one of the greatest mods you could make. You feel the difference every moment you drive the car.

Forget about the steering wheel controls, the trade off is well worth it.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Just checking, but doesn't the ZHP package come with the better quicker ration CSL steering rack? That option is over $1000 to upgrade alone and WELL worth it. Make it whole different car, the slow stock M3 is one my biggest complaints. The steeromg rack is one of the greatest mods you could make. You feel the difference every moment you drive the car.

Forget about the steering wheel controls, the trade off is well worth it.
The general opinion is that the CSL rack still sucks. I want to fit a standard 3'er rack.

machmeter
05-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Get the base deal and spend the extra $4K on the rims and upgrading the sound system.

Stuka
05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Well said ! And I think it sort of brings us all back to reality. Is a Ferrari 430 worth $200k? To some it is worth $500k in status and style alone and seems

It's a lot more than 200K, if you ever hope to get one. While PAG builds one car too many, Ferarri builds one car too few. :thumbdwn:

If the 360 is any indication, the 200 whatever K that they charge for the car is worth every penny. :thumbup:

Drive one WOT in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, and you will understand. :yikes:

FlyingDutchMan
05-09-2005, 09:54 PM
The general opinion is that the CSL rack still sucks. I want to fit a standard 3'er rack.

Really...it still isn't quick enough? What's the ratio on the standard 3 series rack? Seriously, the m3 rack is so slow its hard to catch the car in time with counter steering.

RChoudry
05-10-2005, 05:32 AM
someone is sooner or later going to figure out how to put that ZCP rack in with all the sensors and computer upgrade. The ZHP rack is fabulous though.

bimmerguy
05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
I am confused....

Since the 05s have the same suspension set up as the ZCP, is the quicker steering rack worth it?

I agree with Nick325xiT that the stock 3 series rack is excellent, has anyone retrofitted one to an M3?

Moderato
05-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I agree with Nick325xiT that the stock 3 series rack is excellent, has anyone retrofitted one to an M3?

How can a stock 3 series have a better steering rack then an E46 M3? :confused:

FlyingDutchMan
05-10-2005, 06:01 PM
What is different about the racks between the ZHP, Stock M3, stock E46?

dawgbone
05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I have yet to exsperience the complaint with the stock M3 rack..I'm starting to think that it may have to do with what you're doing with the car..

the m3 rack is so slow its hard to catch the car in time with counter steering.

I feel that the car is very easy to pull out of high speed drifts, or say, when the rears want to scat out from a fast right, hard braking and rolling over into a slow left(sorry can't think of the term)..I can almost invision exactly where to countersteer and tire position in my head, let alone feeling it in the steering wheel..

On the other hand, there is a lot of understeer(not really slow), and from my understanding is a common characteristic of stock MB's, and Porsche as well(Autobahn in mind)..In which is not a completely bad thing for stock/factory setups..Being that understeer at high speeds will reduce chances of driver error causing a mishap...

Now slow speed turns does take alot of wrenching of the wheel, more than I prefer..I don't see it being slow, but heavy and alot of steering wheel travel(understeer)..Learning to pull out of a doughnut gracefully, took me quite a couple of trys, and more rear wheel rubber$$ than I care for..But doughnuts has very little fun factor, so it's not a biggy to me..

Also..Can anyone inform me on what "engine-speed-sensitive variable-assist power steering" is, and maybe how it works...Is it a part of DSC? I mistaked it for "speed sensitive assisted steering" but was informed different awhile back..

Pinecone
05-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Actually virtually ALL stock cars are tuned for mucho understeer. Understeer is safe. Natural reaction os the great unwashed when teh car doesn't turn properly is to lift. If you lift in an understeering car, the front end loads up and turns better and you get around the corner. Or at least when you go off, you go off under control and forwards.

Oversteer is a different beast. Natural reaction to lift will INCREASE over steer, making a simple slide into snap spin and backing off theroad at high speed. NOT good.

I have no problem with stock M3 rack. I find it to be a nice balance between lower speed manuevering and high speed stability. But I have never autocrossed the E46, but I have tracked it.

LMC
05-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Another ZCP review is at

www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/1116428204456734776/index.php

and the author likes it a lot.

He mentions the "forged wheels."

dawgbone
05-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Another ZCP review is at

www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/1116428204456734776/index.php

and the author likes it a lot.

He mentions the "forged wheels."

:p owners live for the day when the warranty expire.. :thumbup:

ArchAngle
05-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I have 2005 M3 with Comp Package and ripped everything out already. I think it's waste of money. I could of used the money else wehre. :mad:

Moderato
05-20-2005, 04:50 AM
I have 2005 M3 with Comp Package and ripped everything out already. I think it's waste of money. I could of used the money else wehre. :mad:

:confused: What exactly is the "everything" you ripped out?

Lori
05-20-2005, 06:06 AM
The ZCP package is perfect for me as I don't want to mod the car. The stereo rocks, the appearance is awsome and the car handles great. If you plan to mod then the ZCP is a waste of money IMO. I think the ZCP is great for people who lease but want a custom look and slightly better performance.

TD330ci
05-20-2005, 08:11 AM
The ZCP package is perfect for me as I don't want to mod the car. The stereo rocks, the appearance is awsome and the car handles great. If you plan to mod then the ZCP is a waste of money IMO. I think the ZCP is great for people who lease but want a custom look and slightly better performance.

I could not have said it better. :thumbup:

Lease or buy.

ArchAngle
05-20-2005, 09:47 AM
:confused: What exactly is the "everything" you ripped out?

Changed out the entire suspension, wheels. steering wheel, shift knob, break handle, and trims are on order to be changed out.

I have Dinan S-2 Package, rear control arms, mid section pipe (x-pipe tubi) AC Schnitzer Silver corbon fiber front lip, Silver Corbon fiber racing wing, Hamann Edition wheels, and all enhancements to match my silver gray color. And more stuff I just can't remember.....

When I bought the car it went stright to the shop to bet everything done. :thumbup: :fingers:

Krochelli
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm not modding the car either. For me it came down to 4k for cool paint color. Saving 12 ft on braking wasn't necessary for me, and the alcantara stuff isn't very cool to me. If they had actually tweaked the motor a tad like ZHP, would have ordered it in a heart beat. I don't have controls on steering wheel on my Porsche, so that never was an issue.

The stereo Lori is the same in all models :)

Lori
05-20-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not modding the car either. For me it came down to 4k for cool paint color. Saving 12 ft on braking wasn't necessary for me, and the alcantara stuff isn't very cool to me. If they had actually tweaked the motor a tad like ZHP, would have ordered it in a heart beat. I don't have controls on steering wheel on my Porsche, so that never was an issue.

The stereo Lori is the same in all models :)

I got the special ZCP stereo. Bigger amp and subwoofers but you loose volume control. Just kidding. I know it's the same stereo I was just pointing out that the car is a well rounded and fun vehicle right out of the box. Sorry if my post was cunfusing.

elvisinturn1
05-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I can't tell ya how much I love the Competition model. Just picked it up yesterday, and I have no regrets. Sucks not having some controls, but afterall, I bought an M3 instead of a 3XX for a reason :D I've put 300 miles on it since yesterday morning. I don't hear any brake noise, nor can I complain. The "Sport" and "M" modes are fun to play around with. Too bad I gotta shift at 5k for 1100 more miles :cry:

elvisinturn1
05-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh, I do have one problem with the "Bluetooth" option. I have a Verizon V710, which is an approved model, but it doesn't link correctly. Dealer said the car has a defective Bluetooth module and they've already seen a bunch with the problem. :dunno:

TD330ci
05-22-2005, 08:25 AM
I can't tell ya how much I love the Competition model. Just picked it up yesterday, and I have no regrets. Sucks not having some controls, but afterall, I bought an M3 instead of a 3XX for a reason :D I've put 300 miles on it since yesterday morning. I don't hear any brake noise, nor can I complain. The "Sport" and "M" modes are fun to play around with. Too bad I gotta shift at 5k for 1100 more miles :cry:

WoHOOO!! Congrats!! :thumbup:

You guys are killing me. :mad: I can't wait.

Lori
05-22-2005, 06:22 PM
The M3ZCP is awsome. Congratulations.

spta97
07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I am going to order the ZCP as well. I did the same as you and realized that getting the rims and tires after market was going to cost in upwards of $3000. So for $1000 I'm getting the cool paint job and cross drilled rotors (which are really only for looks to me). If the rims could be ordered separately as an option that probably would have done it because I never liked the stock rims. However when spending $55k I figured I might as well throw in another $4k and get what I want. :thumbup: