PDA

View Full Version : plastic bumper scratch resistant?

toetoe
05-03-2005, 12:08 AM
From the couple threads I saw, it seems the aero kit is just too expensive for me (as much as I like it)....and I am not too comfortable about the idea of painting the bumpers (worry that the paint will wear off on those plastic after a few years of exposure to strong sunlight?)...so, not that i have a whole lot of options left, but i would like to know:

1) is the plastic bumper relatively scratch resistant? (for those who bring the x3 off-road, is your bumper surviving the scratches from the rocks and stuff?)

2) just in case i got scratches on the plastic bumper, is there such thing for plastic bumpers that works like "touch-up" paint?

3) how would one protect their plastic bumper? is there some sort of products/coating that one can apply onto the bumper to make it less vulnerable to scratches??

Thanks in advance!

tonymey
05-03-2005, 12:29 PM
I was hauling heavy stuff in the X3 and manage to get the rear bumper scratched as I was loading and unloading stuff. The only thing I could do is to try to cover it up with Armor all or Back to Black. ( I manage to do a good job cause the wife hasn't notice yet :thumbup: it's her X3) The way I see it once it's scratch it's scratched.. Unless there is some type of filler we can use... Look at the bright side at night it's hardly noticeable :rofl:

ICEBERG
05-04-2005, 03:43 PM
My wife was hauling some boxes into the X3. She also scratched the rear bumper a little. I had some cleaning stuff from Mercedes Benz that removes light scratches and worked great. You really have to look for the scratch now to see it a little. But those pastic bumpers really scratch easy.

Steveo8998
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah i agree. The main reason that their plastic is for what BMW calls "A Safty Feature" its Sposed to crumple in an accident and soften the blow. :thumbdwn: i wish it was all metal in my mind, but it looks good in my mind. Who knows what it would look like if it was all metal :) oh well im not complaining!

~Steve-O~

marcusinfl
05-13-2005, 04:28 AM
The only great thing about the plastic bumper is that they are cheap to replace, so scratch away! When you are tired of looking at all your scatches just replace it. I did for $320 at a colision center. The part is only $270 from BMW. Not a bad price at all!

Caesar
05-13-2005, 07:18 AM
From the couple threads I saw, it seems the aero kit is just too expensive for me (as much as I like it)....and I am not too comfortable about the idea of painting the bumpers (worry that the paint will wear off on those plastic after a few years of exposure to strong sunlight?)...so, not that i have a whole lot of options left, but i would like to know:

1) is the plastic bumper relatively scratch resistant? (for those who bring the x3 off-road, is your bumper surviving the scratches from the rocks and stuff?)

2) just in case i got scratches on the plastic bumper, is there such thing for plastic bumpers that works like "touch-up" paint?

3) how would one protect their plastic bumper? is there some sort of products/coating that one can apply onto the bumper to make it less vulnerable to scratches??

Thanks in advance!

I'm concerned about my dogs scratching the rear bumper area with their nails when they get in the back (my dogs are 100 lbs). Already one of my dogs left a mark on the "step" part of the rear bumper (not a scratch I can feel with my finger nail -- but there is a mark that doesn't come off easily).

I noticed that there is a BMW part for the X3 called a "rear bumper step protection" described as:

"Non-slip surface provides a useful step while helping guard the bumper against scratching. Not compatible with the rear apron in aerodynamic kit."

- -here's a picture:

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/photos/a00115303.JPG

I guess it protects the upward facing portion only though, not the rear facing portion. I'm also not sure how it is installed -- does it have to be profesionally installed somehow or what. Like how does it stick on?

Anyone try this or know how it goes on?

Riuster
03-17-2007, 07:15 PM
i would also like to see how this piece looks but not on the car..is the piece just sits on top of the bumper, like a flat piece?

SFX3
03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
I'm concerned about my dogs scratching the rear bumper area with their nails when they get in the back (my dogs are 100 lbs). Already one of my dogs left a mark on the "step" part of the rear bumper (not a scratch I can feel with my finger nail -- but there is a mark that doesn't come off easily).

I noticed that there is a BMW part for the X3 called a "rear bumper step protection" described as:

"Non-slip surface provides a useful step while helping guard the bumper against scratching. Not compatible with the rear apron in aerodynamic kit."

- -here's a picture:

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/photos/a00115303.JPG

I guess it protects the upward facing portion only though, not the rear facing portion. I'm also not sure how it is installed -- does it have to be profesionally installed somehow or what. Like how does it stick on?

Anyone try this or know how it goes on?

That picture above is misleading...the piece you described as the "rear facing position" is the bottom piece of the trunk lid. Hence, that doesnt need to be protected because its up and away when the trunk is open.

Ive been eyeing this myself. I too have dogs that im afraid will scuff up the flat part of the trunk. I believe the application is very easy. Just a simple peel and put down.

HGX3.0
03-18-2007, 02:44 AM
I had the BMW piece put on my X3. It is a plastic piece that mounts to the top edge of the bumper, not the tailgate. It is attached with double sided tape that's already taped to the piece. Just need to peel away the red plastic and apply. Trick is to center it exactly. It is permanent once you apply it.

I don't know about how scratch resistant it is but it held up the two years I owned the vehicle. I liked it cause it gave the bumper a more 'finished' look.

I had someone back into my bumper and got a 2" line scratch. Never was able to get it out. Cosmetic, temporary fix would be aero 303 protectant.

AzNMpower32
03-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Hmm, might think about that protecting piece for our X3. I remember when loading up my bikes I always had to be really careful not to scratch the pedals or the gear on the bottom part of the bumper and it was quite easily scratched.

Luckily (or not), a bus had rear ended my dad a few months ago and we got a new bumper. From then on, I've been really careful when loading sharp objects.

SFX3
03-18-2007, 06:29 AM
I don't know about how scratch resistant it is but it held up the two years I owned the vehicle. I liked it cause it gave the bumper a more 'finished' look.

what are you saying? that the "bumper step protection" scratches easily also? did it look bad with scratches after two years?

HGX3.0
03-18-2007, 07:56 AM
what are you saying? that the "bumper step protection" scratches easily also? did it look bad with scratches after two years?

Plastic will scratch, the degree of scratches depends on how much abuse the area gets.

Mine didn't scratch. I was always careful loading and unloading items.

Brent P
03-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Plastic or painted, the pieces are basically the same. They're simply cover pieces that fit over the bumper. The only difference is one is 'paint grade' and requires paint and clear (more money) to finish it.

Paint in my opinion damages easier. If you get minor scratches or rubs in the non-painted bumpers, you can use a product like "Back to Black" or any other type of good plastic protectant to make the scratch/rub marks much less noticeable. With a painted bumper you need to repaint the bumper.

UncleJ
03-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Speaking of plastic bumpers what are those narrow rectangular shapes in the lower part of the X3 rear bumper for? It looks like there were supposed to be either reflectors or lights installed but they are just blank cutout plugs. Probably something to do with a regulation from another country is my guess but it kind of looks unfinished IMHO. Back on topic, the painted rear bumper cover on my wife's Audi was badly scraped. Had it refinished for $200. Perfect job. The Audi place wanted to replace it etc for about $600. Said it "couldn't be refinished, had to be replaced". Yah, right!

Riuster
03-19-2007, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=HGX3.0;2243321]I had the BMW piece put on my X3. It is a plastic piece that mounts to the top edge of the bumper, not the tailgate. It is attached with double sided tape that's already taped to the piece. Just need to peel away the red plastic and apply. Trick is to center it exactly. It is permanent once you apply it.
QUOTE]

How can this be permanent if its only a double sided tape? what kind of tape is it?

HGX3.0
03-20-2007, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=HGX3.0;2243321]I had the BMW piece put on my X3. It is a plastic piece that mounts to the top edge of the bumper, not the tailgate. It is attached with double sided tape that's already taped to the piece. Just need to peel away the red plastic and apply. Trick is to center it exactly. It is permanent once you apply it.
QUOTE]

How can this be permanent if its only a double sided tape? what kind of tape is it?

Trust me it is - they use this two-sided tape to mount fender add-ons and rear spoilers! I believe it is a 3M product. I used the tape when I mounted the M3 rear spoiler on my 325i.