BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Changing timing belt at home

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  89 325i 
#1 ·
Reality check: how difficult is it, really, to change a timing belt on a E30/B25? I have a Bentley Manual, I have a set of tools, I have a '89 325i that soon needs a new timing belt and I don't have the $700+ the dealer wants to do the job. I've read through the procedure in Bentley and it seems pretty strightforward, but I'd love to hear from anyone else ou there who may have done it themselves. Anything that can cause problems, any special tools that are helpful, degree of difficulty.

FYI: I am not an experienced mechanic, though not clueless either.

Thanks

#3 ·
I'm offically confused. The Bentley Manual tells me that I have a timing belt, a dealer tells me I have one ($700 to replace) and an independent tech told me I had one ($500 to replace). And this car has had its timing belt changed twice so far ... so I'm a little confused.

#5 ·
It's not that difficult and can be done in as little as two and half hours. I used to live right next in Bedford Mass. I would have gladdly helped out but alas no in area.

Can be done with simple common handtools that average mechanic has. Recommend reading thru it twice to familarize yourself. Clean the engine well in all areas around the front engine compartment. Clean work area makes for less mistakes.

Get the whole kit. Timing belt tensioner and belt and water pump at the same time. Might as well do a coolant flush also prior to summer so have needed bucket to catch coolant.

Also a good time to replace the cap and rotor since you will have hoses off. Fan Clutch? Belts for AC and alternator?

Leave car sit over night so It's cool to work on in morning unlike getting a vehicle that has been driven to shop that hot to touch.

Good luck shouldn't take more than 4 hours for an amatuer and if need call some one from the Boston CCA as they are great like that.

#6 ·
Thanks. Just the kind of reality check I needed. I've read through the Bentley procedure a couple of times and it certainly seemed do-able. And yes, I'll hit everything else that makes sense to change/check while I'm at it, especially water pump and belts. Wouldn't have thought of the cap and rotor.

Appreciate the feedback.

Boston CCA? Boston Car Club of America (guess)?

#10 ·
I think so. Not so tihgt the belt can't be depressed a little when you push down on it; not rigid in other words, but not loose enough so that you can depress it a half inch. That the idea? I'll take a look at the ac belt before I take it off. I'll figure it out.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.