PDA

View Full Version : optioning a new 545i

obmd1
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Alright... I got the bug for a 545... I drove a demo the other day and I can't sleep since. The thing is ridiculously fun to drive.

I am looking into the options... sold on the packages, NAV, Sirius, comfy seats...but what about HUD? When using the NAV it seems to be really cool, but what about when not? Anyone find the digital speed to be annoying? Can it be turned off? When I was toying with the nav there were two maps on the in-dash display.. is this normal, replacing where the arrow to instruct the driver would be?

Anyone unhappy they got it, or vice versa?

TIA.. and I did do a search, here, bmwusa.com, and e60.org...

ob

stream
05-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Don't have HUD, but with nav, there are 2 sections to the screen: the main section which is the left 2/3, and the right 1/3 (called the assistance window) which can be switched between half a dozen things (current position, map facing north, map facing driving direction, trip computer data, etc.).

TGray5
05-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I liked the HUD a lot...glad I got it. You can select exactly what you want displayed on it. The NAV directions on HUD are awesome. In regards to the right hand screen on the NAV, you can select from a menu what exactly displays on the right hand side. I prefer to have the map on the big screen and the NAV arrow display on the right screen, but you can also select things such as trip computer and other stuff I can't recall.

///M Rakete
05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Comments as above plus you can turn the HUD off if you want.

Alright... I got the bug for a 545... I drove a demo the other day and I can't sleep since. The thing is ridiculously fun to drive.

I am looking into the options... sold on the packages, NAV, Sirius, comfy seats...but what about HUD? When using the NAV it seems to be really cool, but what about when not? Anyone find the digital speed to be annoying? Can it be turned off? When I was toying with the nav there were two maps on the in-dash display.. is this normal, replacing where the arrow to instruct the driver would be?

ob

arnolds
05-03-2005, 10:00 PM

ob

Option it to the hilt and then do Euro Delivery. :thumbup:

obmd1
05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Option it to the hilt and then do Euro Delivery. :thumbup:

Yeah... I think that's on the list of things to search out tomorrow... NOt sure if I have the time to get away, but it would be sweeet

thanks all... as always, I appreciate it.

h

PropellerHead
05-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah... I think that's on the list of things to search out tomorrow... NOt sure if I have the time to get away, but it would be sweeet

thanks all... as always, I appreciate it.

hWait for the 550! :bigpimp:

obmd1
05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Wait for the 550! :bigpimp:

you are NOT helping :asshole: :neener:

j/k.... I need out of the E46 before it blows another set of rotors, and rates and residuals will only get worse in the fall....

Ågent99
05-04-2005, 10:58 AM
545i lease rates are :wow: and doing a ED lease is :wow: :wow:

HUD rocks and wasn't distracting to me at all. I-Drive is very cool and allows you to turn 5 items off/on in the HUD display:

(1) Nav word instructions (no pics or map)
(2) Cruise control and where it is set at
(3) Activie cruise control (if you have this option)
(4) Speed
(5) Check control messages (problems, maintenance stuff)

I'd love to see a Tachometer read out in the HUD and the gear the tranny is in. You can also adjust the brightness of the HUD via the I-Drive or the instrument panel light serrated dial

The button to turn HUD off/on is located to the right of the headlight dial.

The visibility of hte HUD is influenced by:

(1) Sunglasses with certain polarization filter
(2) Certain seating positions
(3) Objects sitting on top of the HUD (it is built into the dash so duh!)
(4) Wet road surface or unfavorable lighting conditions

The windshield with the HUD is also special in the area in which the HUD is viewed. They put a special film on the windshield to prevent ghosting and double-images so windshield replacement can only be done by a BMW dealer or at least by someone who knows how to get this special windshield.

obmd1
05-05-2005, 07:44 PM
545i lease rates are :wow: and doing a ED lease is :wow: :wow:

HUD rocks

Thanks so much for all the info... I'm off tomorrow for one more try-and-convince-yourself-the-e90-is-okay test drive and then I am ordering the 545

black met on black
premium sound
sirius
NAV
Sport pkg
comfy seats
HUD
cold weather

64K..... how'd I do??? (far as I can tell it's 4K over invoice.... :rolleyes: ), but they ARE eating what'sleft of my current lease.... :thumbup:

obmd1
05-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Welll...... I was seconds from pulling the trigger... drove the E90 again, pheh....then the 545i, and sat in every seat they make... I am drving my dealer NUTS...

And then I thought... crud.. I am just not old enough for a sedan :tsk:
and what if I want a convertible :yikes:

and I LOVE my 330CI, minus the brakes that suck.

So maybe I'll get a ZHP :bigpimp:

I'm torn... :mad:

Spartacus_33
05-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks so much for all the info... I'm off tomorrow for one more try-and-convince-yourself-the-e90-is-okay test drive and then I am ordering the 545

black met on black
premium sound
sirius
NAV
Sport pkg
comfy seats
HUD
cold weather

64K..... how'd I do??? (far as I can tell it's 4K over invoice.... :rolleyes: ), but they ARE eating what'sleft of my current lease.... :thumbup:
I don't have HUD... I usually don't even look at the map.... just listen to my lady tell me where to go......

Not having HUD and never even experiencing HUD makes me think it really isn't necessary, but ALL of your other options ARE.

As far as your price quote...... it sucks dude! Really... I know they'll tell you that they have a small margin of profit these days.... and the 530 could be discounted a little more, but their precious 545s can only be slightly discounted. That's a bunch of bull. Find a dealer in your area that is more willing to deal with you. If not, try outside your state. You should at least (minimum) get $2K over invoice. Do an ED and knock another $4K off the price.

Ågent99
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Not having HUD and never even experiencing HUD makes me think it really isn't necessary, but ALL of your other options ARE.
Necessary? Maybe...maybe not. However, if you wish to check your speed while you are doing 130 mph, you sure as hell don't wanna look all the way down at your speedometer! :)

Electric windows aren't necessary either (once upon a time) but now you rarely see a car without them!

Go experience HUD...then report back. :D

obmd1
05-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Go experience HUD...then report back. :D

oh, I'm with you, I'm with you... I was in a demo with comfort seats... now I think THEY are necessary too...my dealer said the only people who he has sold them to are guys with back issues or that drive for a living, so....I feel a bit odd for wanting them, but they were pretty sweet...

They HUD, so long as I can turn it on and off, will be in the mix. :thumbup:
Unless I punt and get the 330CI :tsk:

BTW (edit) is M-tech aftermarket? I did a search, but cannot find what I am looking for on the subject. I like the ground-effects I saw associated with them for the e60...

Spartacus_33
05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
oh, I'm with you, I'm with you... I was in a demo with comfort seats... now I think THEY are necessary too...my dealer said the only people who he has sold them to are guys with back issues or that drive for a living, so....I feel a bit odd for wanting them, but they were pretty sweet...

They HUD, so long as I can turn it on and off, will be in the mix. :thumbup:

BTW (edit) is M-tech aftermarket? I did a search, but cannot find what I am looking for on the subject. I like the ground-effects I saw associated with them for the e60...
I've had the sport package in all 3 of my bimmers.... the first 2 came with sport seats which were great. They wrapped around an hugged you.

When I was looking at the E60s early last year, I accidently sat in one with the comfort seats. After that, it was a no brainer. I think they "wrap" better and are actually sportier than the sport seats. I don't have any back issues..... but the comfort seats were a must have for me. I know everyone that has HUD loves it....... I just needed to cut something out before I priced my E60 out of reach. That's why I say it's really not "necessary"... then again... I've never experienced it.

M-tech is after market.

Ågent99
05-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I have comfort seats...I'm 35 and while I've suffered back problems in the past, my back is finally healed and pain-free for a good solid 4 months now (knock, knock). The lumbar support is awesome for long, family vacations in the car...of which we take a lot of! :D

The HUD, so long as I can turn it on and off, will be in the mix. :thumbup:
:mad: What??!! :irate: ;)

No, it is a factory-available option that, as far as I know, isn't available yet. If BMW follows the E39-way, the factory option to make your non-E60 M5 look like an M5 will be a few years away.

Spartacus_33
05-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I have comfort seats...I'm 35 and while I've suffered back problems in the past, my back is finally healed and pain-free for a good solid 4 months now (knock, knock). The lumbar support is awesome for long, family vacations in the car...of which we take a lot of! :D

:mad: What??!! :irate: ;)

No, it is a factory-available option that, as far as I know, isn't available yet. If BMW follows the E39-way, the factory option to make your non-E60 M5 look like an M5 will be a few years away.
Guess I misunderstood the M-tech question...... sorry.

obmd1
05-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Guess I misunderstood the M-tech question...... sorry.

Now I'm confused... I swaer I saw a pic of a guys with an e60, lookin like an M5 with an air dam and skirt that he called an M-tech e60. Is this OEM, and if so how do I order it?

:dunno:

Spartacus_33
05-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Now I'm confused... I swaer I saw a pic of a guys with an e60, lookin like an M5 with an air dam and skirt that he called an M-tech e60. Is this OEM, and if so how do I order it?

There are many ways to modify the front air dam...AC Schnitzer is my favorite.

As I understand it.. the M-tech is made by BMW :dunno: and is available in Europe now, but not here now :dunno: .... I'm not sure since I'm not interested in that specific one.

Spartacus_33
05-09-2005, 11:38 AM

Check this link out:
Beverly Hills Auto Design (http://www.beverlyhillsautodesign.com)

Click on BMW and then on Body.