PDA

View Full Version : What's it like to live in Rhode Island...

528i
05-04-2005, 02:12 AM
or the New England area (assuming other states in the area give you similar insight).

I'm planning on attending a school in Providence (RISD), and I have never been to New England. I do not know what to expect, from traffic to culture to student job market to whatever...

Has anyone moved from the Northwest to New England? What is better, what is different, what is worse?

Even if you haven't lived outside of New England, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

EdCT
05-04-2005, 06:42 AM
or the New England area (assuming other states in the area give you similar insight).

I'm planning on attending a school in Providence (RISD), and I have never been to New England. I do not know what to expect, from traffic to culture to student job market to whatever...

Has anyone moved from the Northwest to New England? What is better, what is different, what is worse?

Even if you haven't lived outside of New England, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

You might want to pick up some books on New England, it's a unique place.

We're an old region, very old, with a very rich history. We're densely populated in some areas and very rural in others.

We have old cities, some of which have never really recovered from the industrial and manufacturing decline; Springfield Mass, Hartford, CT, New Haven CT, perhaps Providence, RI.

The entire coast of NE is breathtaking, from Greenwich CT up through Maine.

Vt, NH, Maine and northwestern CT have immensely beautiful areas, stunningly beautiful.

Some of our towns are quaint and provincial, some are cosmopolitan and getting "hipper", i.e. Stamford, CT

NE stretches from the NYC metro area all the way up to Canada, so attitudes and culture can change a lot along the way.

BTW, Newport RI is a pretty 'hip' place.
Ed

edsmax
05-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Ed from CT summed it up pretty well. I have lived in RI my entire life and it is a very nice place to live. Like the ocean and beautiful coasts and beaches? No problem, drive 1/2 an hour south to "south county" RI and have fun. Like a clean city with a good nightlife? Providence (aka the Reinassance City) is right here or you can drive the hour to Boston. RI is unique in that you can be in the city and drive 45 minutes and be out in the middle of no where.

As Ed said, NEw England as a whole has a rich history with alot of older buildings than you may be used to in the Northwest.

On a side note, the New England area (especially suburban Boston) has one of the highest ownership bases of BMWs, probably second to CA. This is just based on my own personal observations...

Ed (from RI)