PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade my lease: 2004 530 to 2005 545

stajer
05-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I am wondering if this is possible. I took delivery of my 04 530 in August and now want a 545i. Can I turn the 530 back in for a new 05 545? I am prepared to commit to a new 36 month term and higher payments, but ideally I would like to rollover the deposit and cap reduction.

Anyone done this or heard of it done?

Thanks!

arnolds
05-04-2005, 06:10 PM
I am wondering if this is possible. I took delivery of my 04 530 in August and now want a 545i. Can I turn the 530 back in for a new 05 545? I am prepared to commit to a new 36 month term and higher payments, but ideally I would like to rollover the deposit and cap reduction.

Thanks!

Ok...I did this.....with BMWFS in 2002 so I don't know if they still do it.

1. Wife had a 2001 X5 3.0, 3 year lease, 15k miles per year
2. In the 10th month, we decided we want a 4.4i instead.
3. Called up BMWFS and ask what would it cost us to turn the 3.0 early and get a 4.4i instead.
4. They asked about the mileage of the car.
5. They said, just turn in the car at my dealer when my new 4.4i shows up.

That's it. I think they did that because the market value of the 3.0 was strong then and my payoff is near or the same as the market value.

Never hurts to ask.

SARAFIL
05-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok...I did this.....with BMWFS in 2002 so I don't know if they still do it.

1. Wife had a 2001 X5 3.0, 3 year lease, 15k miles per year
2. In the 10th month, we decided we want a 4.4i instead.
3. Called up BMWFS and ask what would it cost us to turn the 3.0 early and get a 4.4i instead.
4. They asked about the mileage of the car.
5. They said, just turn in the car at my dealer when my new 4.4i shows up.

That's it. I think they did that because the market value of the 3.0 was strong then and my payoff is near or the same as the market value.

Never hurts to ask.

You've got to be missing some important details there. I can't believe it would have been that easy.

SARAFIL
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM

Thanks!

Rollover the deposit and cap reduction? Those are long gone, and you're probably going to have to come up with alot of cash on top of that to make that deal happen. Right how an average '04 530 probably has a trade in value in the $36,000 range. I'll make the assumption that at this point of the lease, your payoff is around $10,000 more than that, or more. As you can see, the numbers won't make sense. You'd have to absorb this cost into the cost of the new lease, which would greatly increase your payments.

So, in summary, can you do it? Yes, you can get out of the 530 and into a 545. Will it be easy? No. Will you be able to rollover any of your deposit/cap reduction? No, you'll probably need to come up with even more on top of that to make the deal happen.

arnolds
05-04-2005, 07:37 PM
You've got to be missing some important details there. I can't believe it would have been that easy.

Nope..it was that easy. Ask Jon.

jvr826
05-04-2005, 09:36 PM
It would be best for you to get your payoff from BMWFS and see what the used car market is like for your car. I have to agree with Sarafil that you're probably in the red this early in the lease, but you never know. The times I've tried the trade-in of a leased vehicle for a new one have never worked out, wholesale less $2000 has been my experience.

Leasing is a comittment and can work out well, but you really need to honor the terms and carry it thru to avoid losing big bucks. BMWFS leases are really flexible though and I find dealing with them on the phone quite helpful.

Maybe try swapalease.com?

stajer
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Just got off the phone with BMWFS. Though it doesn't sound like it will be as easy as it was for as arnolds. The payoff on my car is around $46k (2004 530i, August/04 production, HUD, Nav, Sport & Premium package, premium sound, Black Saphire Ext, Tan Interior, 6k miles). The current market for similarly equiped used vehicle in the SF Bay is $51-53K, but only a handful are available.

According to BMWFS I need to go to a dealer and negotiate a new car with them. They will take my car as a trade in and pay it off.

This might work well if I wait for the 550 to come out - the payoff will drop a little more by then.

Bart001
05-06-2005, 05:25 AM
This might work well if I wait for the 550 to come out - the payoff will drop a little more by then.

So will the trade-in value of your car, and probably more than "a little." But if you are that much 'in the black' now, it might still work for you!

Did you put down a large cap. reduction? It's surprising to me that you've got equity in the car at all.

stajer
05-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I did put down a little more than the $2500 they start with, but not much. I think this is a unique situation created by two factors:

1. There are no lease returns yet for the e60 so people who want this car used only have a few to choose from creating a high price.
2. I did spend 2 month negotiating my deal when I got the car until I finally wore down one dealer.

SergeyM
05-07-2005, 11:17 PM
The current market for similarly equiped used vehicle in the SF Bay is $51-53K, but only a handful are available.

Sure, but there are plenty of brand new 2005 530 for that price. Who will pay $53K for a used 2004. BTW, KBB trade in for a car like yours is $40K. That's probably all you dealer will be willing to give you for your car now. You still aound $6K upside down.