PDA

View Full Version : Xenon headlight color change

jliu34740
05-06-2005, 01:03 AM
I have noticed that my xenon headlights change color from pure white when it turns on first to a more helogen yellowish color after a few minutes. I thought Xenon is supposed to be white all the time (like the ones on lexus and audi). Can someone explain to me why this is normal on 2005 X3?

Thanks,

JG
05-06-2005, 10:53 AM
I have noticed that my xenon headlights change color from pure white when it turns on first to a more helogen yellowish color after a few minutes. I thought Xenon is supposed to be white all the time (like the ones on lexus and audi). Can someone explain to me why this is normal on 2005 X3?

Thanks,

When the lights turn on they do a focusing dance, which has them pointing up then down - or something like that (quite interesting actually)

It seems brighter during this initialization process - then returns to normal.

Also if the fogs are on the road seems a little less xenon-ish.

I know when I pull into my garage - they daytime running lights switch into nightime mode and again seem more like the Xenon blue white light.

jliu34740
05-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Daytime running light? How do you enable this? I also have 2005 X3.

Wrt the xenon color, as I said before, when it first turn on it's blueish white. After a few minutes it become sort of yellowish like a normal helogen light. THis is different from almost all the other Xenon I have seen. I don';t like this and wish someone could tell me why.

Caesar
05-07-2005, 01:00 AM

Wrt the xenon color, as I said before, when it first turn on it's blueish white. After a few minutes it become sort of yellowish like a normal helogen light. THis is different from almost all the other Xenon I have seen. I don';t like this and wish someone could tell me why.

The dealer enabled my daytime running lights.

bim530mer
05-07-2005, 01:28 AM

Exactly the way I would describe it... I also don't like mine (530 03).. If BMW claims the invention of xenon, then why would Opel and Audi get better Xenons?!?!? I know that BMW had problem with their bulbs going off in less than 6 months and had to replace them with the current Philips bulbs which one described as going half power.. still not justifiable enough for me...

JG
05-07-2005, 06:30 AM
Daytime running light? How do you enable this?

It has been required by law in Canada for about 15 years now.

As mentioned your dealer should be able to enable this for you.

Rob V
05-07-2005, 08:30 AM
So this is a common thing? The Xenon lights fade to a more yellowish color after a while? In all the research I did, articles I read and forums I browsed I never saw mention of this. I would have passed on that option is that was the case.

dkl
05-07-2005, 11:06 AM
So this is a common thing? The Xenon lights fade to a more yellowish color after a while? In all the research I did, articles I read and forums I browsed I never saw mention of this. I would have passed on that option is that was the case.

No...it's actually the other way around. Xenon lights will start out yellowish when new and will change their color to more white with age. As it ages further, it will turn more and more blue-ish/purple, before it eventually burns out. Remember that the blue-ish tint color that you see is actually the byproduct of any HID Xenon bulbs. Therefore, the more blue-ish tint that you see, the less efficient your Xenon bulb is. BMW chose to use the 4100K or 4300K (more yellowish/white) Xenon bulb because it provides the optimum usable light output. Going to a higher spectrum Xenon bulb (6000K or 8000K) that has the purple tint will actually yield less light output. But if you actually like to have your headlights being less efficient, you can always go out and just replace your bulbs with those that have the 6000K or 8000K ratings!

So don't worry, your Xenon light will eventually turns white/blue-ish as you use it. Mine are very white now (and it does have a purple tint when looked at from a certain angle)...after about 1 year of usage.

jliu34740
05-08-2005, 02:20 AM
No...it's actually the other way around. Xenon lights will start out yellowish when new and will change their color to more white with age. As it ages further, it will turn more and more blue-ish/purple, before it eventually burns out. Remember that the blue-ish tint color that you see is actually the byproduct of any HID Xenon bulbs. Therefore, the more blue-ish tint that you see, the less efficient your Xenon bulb is. BMW chose to use the 4100K or 4300K (more yellowish/white) Xenon bulb because it provides the optimum usable light output. Going to a higher spectrum Xenon bulb (6000K or 8000K) that has the purple tint will actually yield less light output. But if you actually like to have your headlights being less efficient, you can always go out and just replace your bulbs with those that have the 6000K or 8000K ratings!

So don't worry, your Xenon light will eventually turns white/blue-ish as you use it. Mine are very white now (and it does have a purple tint when looked at from a certain angle)...after about 1 year of usage.

DKL, when did you notice your xenon changes to that white color after it's been on for a while? 3 month, 6 month, or does it really take 12 month?

bim530mer
05-08-2005, 03:06 AM
DKL, when did you notice your xenon changes to that white color after it's been on for a while? 3 month, 6 month, or does it really take 12 month?

Mine is still yelowish with little ambient lighting (e.g. cars coming opposite) and white when it is very dark.. And here is when it gets on me.. on un-lit highways I don't feel much difference between normal halogens and xenon becuase of this yellowish fade...

Could one elaborate on this:
"intensity of xenon lights changes with ambient lighting. Otherwise, if one claims only vertical angle adjustment of the light then strong and shorter lit area will be noticed when ambient lighting is intense and less intense far lit area when ambient is dark."

by the way my car is 2003...

dkl
05-09-2005, 12:58 AM

According to BMW's technical bulletin, it takes about 100 hours of usage in order for the Xenon bulb to get to its color stability (white). So that means about 3 months if you use it for about an hour per day. As for me, it took a little over 12 months since I hardly use my headlights at all during the spring/summer daylight savings months...and when I do use them, they are only on for about 20-30 minutes per day.

jliu34740
05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
According to BMW's technical bulletin, it takes about 100 hours of usage in order for the Xenon bulb to get to its color stability (white). So that means about 3 months if you use it for about an hour per day. As for me, it took a little over 12 months since I hardly use my headlights at all during the spring/summer daylight savings months...and when I do use them, they are only on for about 20-30 minutes per day.

100 hours huh? I think I can get there rather quickly :)

racingluxury
04-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow! I hope this is all true! I just got my HID bulbs replaced from the factory under warranty and now I noticed that it is MORE yellowish compared to the previous bulbs before they went dead. I called the dealership to see if I actually got a "new" part and they stated that this was normal...I'm not very satisfied with the yellowish color but I hope you're correct DKL. I'll keep it on even daytime to see if it changes color quicker. I pull up to a vehicle with halogen bulbs and mine's just brighter, not whiter than their lights...embarrassing...well...I'll wait to see...