PDA

View Full Version : Hi Fi info?

wingrove
05-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Here in oz we have 3 grades of radio for the x3.
the standard business radio (6 speakers i think)
the hi fi 8 system.
Hi Fi 10 speaker professional.

Does anyone know which does and doesnt include DSP and what is it?

Id also love to know where the speakers are for each version. ie does the 8 have subs or just the 10 etc
ta
jas

pipo
05-06-2005, 11:17 AM
DSP stands for Digital Sound Processing, and I find it to be mostly useless for my listening. It provides three customized equalization settings titled church, jazz club and rock. The only one I ever use, and only on very anemically recorded rock, is -- you guessed it -- the rock setting. It adds some reverb and makes the sound more dynamic. But on good recordings, I leave it turned off; it makes the spoken voice sound like it's in a cave, and makes the sound too bass-heavy.

In the US both the 8- and 10-speaker systems come with subwoofers, but only the 10-speaker system has DSP. The headunit is improved/more powerful on the premium system as well.

Many have commented that the 10-speaker system is not much better thqan the 8-speaker system.

Here's some more info I got from another site:

"THE 'STANDARD ' HiFi system has 8 speakers
the 6 channel (Carver) amplifier is a modified version of the 10 channel HiFi amplifier from the E85 (Z4) and E46 (3 Series)
Output is 4x25 watts for the mid-range and high ranges
and 2x40 watts for the low frequency

the Top HiFi audio system has 10 speakers - 2 additional rear tweeters mounted - 1 in each rear door

the central woofers (Carver) in the Top HiFi
system are simply adapted to the increased voltage level of the bass end levels (8 ohm) the amplifier (Carver) delivers 6x20 watts , 2x40 watts, and 2x100 watts , 10 channel amplifier

the digital connection between the Top HiFi amplifier and the
CD changer is an SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface) connection"

wingrove
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks pipo
so i gather the hi fi 8 (and the standard US car) has

two tweeters in the front
mid range in each door
two subs under the seats
no tweeters in the backand

no dsp- thankfully

cheers
jas

pipo
05-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I believe the front speakers are door-mounted, with one integrated midrange/tweeter unit on each side.