PDA

View Full Version : Standard CD player in X3 3.0 (2005 year)

Caesar
05-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Okay, so when I press the button (and hold it pressed) for rewind or fast forward (using either the arrows on the steering wheel, or the arrows next to the "m" on the radio console), it stops at the beginning of the CD track. I can't seem to rewind through a track's beginning or end.

Am I missing something here?

I never had a CD player where I couldn't rewind/fast forward through a track break.

Is there some hidden button I'm missing?

Also, is there a way to speed up fast forward/rewind? It goes slow with the buttons I'm using here.

Or is this just the way the standard "Business CD" operates?

tromar1
05-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Hello: The "M" between the <- &-> on the console is for "manual" fast forward or rewind. If you pressthe "M" then press either arrow (console or steering wheel) you'll be able to fast forward or rewind through the song and not go to the beginning or end. :)

Caesar
05-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Hello: The "M" between the <- &-> on the console is for "manual" fast forward or rewind. If you pressthe "M" then press either arrow (console or steering wheel) you'll be able to fast forward or rewind through the song and not go to the beginning or end. :)

You misunderstood what I'm saying.

I can rewind (or FF) pressing (AND HOLDING pressed) the arrow buttons -- but the rewind stops at the track beginning. It doesn't continue rewinding through the track break -- it stops at the track break, rather than continuing into the prior track. Sometimes, particulary on live tracks, I like to hear a few seconds at the very end of the last track, and let it play into the next track.

It is NOT going directly to the beginning or end of the track when I press and hold the arrow buttons -- it is slowly going through the song. My issue is that is it stops and refuses to rewind or fast forward at the end or begining of the track.

As far as I could tell, the "M" button does nothing in CD mode. If you briefly press the arrow buttons it skips entirely to the next track (or back). If you press AND hold the arrow buttons, it rewinds or fast forwards. The m button has nothing to do with it -- I believe.

Again, my concern is the operation of the rewind/fast forward.

1. it doesn't allow rewind or ff into the prior or next track.

2. it rewinds or ffs very slowly.

Please indicate if your CD player operates in the same fashion.

tromar1
05-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Hello Caesar: I just ran out and tested my CD functionality. My Biz CD, when the "M" is pressed, goes back to the previous or next track without stopping.

I would offer my radio to you because I'm trying to change my unit to a Pioneer AVIC-N2.

Caesar
05-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Hello Caesar: I just ran out and tested my CD functionality. My Biz CD, when the "M" is pressed, goes back to the previous or next track without stopping.

I would offer my radio to you because I'm trying to change my unit to a Pioneer AVIC-N2.

I'm not sure I understand you now.

You pressed the M button and nothing else -- and that took you back to the beginning of the track?

Or are you saying, you pressed the M button, then an arrow key, and you could rewind continuously, past track breaks.

I'm not looking to just go to a track break -- I'm looking to rewind say from the begiining of one track, to 5 seconds remaining in the prior track.

Can you do that? If so, how?

tromar1
05-06-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm saying I Pressed the "M" button, "m" is then reflected on the unit. I then pressed the rewind arrow button. That allowed me to go back (slowly) to the beginning of the current track. But by keeping my finger on the button and not release the pressure, it took me into the prior track.

Caesar
05-06-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm saying I Pressed the "M" button, "m" is then reflected on the unit. I then pressed the rewind arrow button. That allowed me to go back (slowly) to the beginning of the current track. But by keeping my finger on the button and not release the pressure, it took me into the prior track.

I'll give it a try -- thanks!

tromar1
05-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Let me know if it works...

JG
05-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Okay, so when I press the button (and hold it pressed) for rewind or fast forward (using either the arrows on the steering wheel, or the arrows next to the "m" on the radio console), it stops at the beginning of the CD track. I can't seem to rewind through a track's beginning or end.

Am I missing something here?

I never had a CD player where I couldn't rewind/fast forward through a track break.

Is there some hidden button I'm missing?

Also, is there a way to speed up fast forward/rewind? It goes slow with the buttons I'm using here.

Or is this just the way the standard "Business CD" operates?

On the steering wheel - if you hold the arrow button down it only goes to the start or end of the current track - not past. As far as I know the dash does the same. I think pushing the manual button is irrelevant except for radio browsing. The dash forward and backward buttons do the same as the steering wheel (also an 05 X3).

Caesar
05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
On the steering wheel - if you hold the arrow button down it only goes to the start or end of the current track - not past. As far as I know the dash does the same. I think pushing the manual button is irrelevant except for radio browsing. The dash forward and backward buttons do the same as the steering wheel (also an 05 X3).

That's what I thought (although I havent' yet tried what the other poster said). But I dont' think the "m" button does anything while in CD mode.

If I understand you correctly, you are agreeing with my initial premise? There is no way to go back to, for example, the last 10 seconds of track 3, by hitting the rewind button while in track 4?

If so, that's a bad deal (I wonder if the same issue exists on the upgraded sound)? As I pointed out, this is not good for spoken intros to songs on live recordings. Sometimes the intro is at the end of the the last track and the actual song begins on the next track. Or you may want to just hear the end of a song, without hitting FF for 5 minutes.

How lame if this is true. I'm not happy about that in a $35,000 car.

tromar1
05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry for the confusion. I went and tried your proposal again, and it is just as i said. When i press the "M" button, I am able to ff or rewind to the next song with only a brief delay where one song ends and the other begins. This is the same for both the steering wheel and the console unit.

The only thing new i learned was that while manually fast forwarding, (or rewinding) the system stopped twice during the song. I simply pressed the m button again and was able to continue. I'm unable to determine what you are the other person is doing differently from myself. Suffice it to say, my radio does exactly what I have posted before. Incidentally, this is not my first Beemer. I have prevously owned a 83 3-series, 89 325xi, 98 318i, 2000 323i and most recently a 04 X3.

Caesar
05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry for the confusion. I went and tried your proposal again, and it is just as i said. When i press the "M" button, I am able to ff or rewind to the next song with only a brief delay where one song ends and the other begins. This is the same for both the steering wheel and the console unit.

The only thing new i learned was that while manually fast forwarding, (or rewinding) the system stopped twice during the song. I simply pressed the m button again and was able to continue. I'm unable to determine what you are the other person is doing differently from myself. Suffice it to say, my radio does exactly what I have posted before. Incidentally, this is not my first Beemer. I have prevously owned a 83 3-series, 89 325xi, 98 318i, 2000 323i and most recently a 04 X3.

Maybe the radio/CD changed in the 2005 models? Or perhaps there is some way to change the programming?

4everbavarian
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
That's what I thought (although I havent' yet tried what the other poster said). But I dont' think the "m" button does anything while in CD mode.
Well, not quite true. If you have mp3's on your CD in different subfolders, by pressing the m and then the arrow button you can switch between folders. If you don't press the m button, just the arrows you move within a song or from song to song. Note, 2005 models only play mp3's. The whole mp3 issue is discussed elsewhere:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78630&highlight=mp3

Hope this information helps.

tromar1
05-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Maybe...however, by your own admission you have not yet tried. I seriously doubt that the radio changed from 04 to 05. Especially a simply function like to ff or rewind. Actually, the radio operated the same exact way in my 2000 323 as it did in my 2004 X3...i just tested it again. Maybe...the poster (JG) in Canada has a different system, or Maybe he just wrote what he believed to be true. Prior to your question I would have assumed the same thing. However, I went and tested it in both my Beemers before posting any incorrect info. But considering you are in PA and i'm in NJ I'd say yours works just like mine...or Maybe yours is defective.

Caesar
05-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Well, not quite true. If you have mp3's on your CD in different subfolders, by pressing the m and then the arrow button you can switch between folders. If you don't press the m button, just the arrows you move within a song or from song to song. Note, 2005 models only play mp3's. The whole mp3 issue is discussed elsewhere:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78630&highlight=mp3

Hope this information helps.

I don't get the issue with the .mp3s. If you burn mp3s to a CD by creating a music CD (not just copy folders), it plays like any music CD (that they were originally formatted as .mp3 wouldn't matter). It plays in any CD player.

I guess this allows drag and dropping folders to a CD, but don't you get pauses between tracks that way? It seems to me it would be better to burn it formatted as a music CD -- that all CD players can understand? Or is there some other advantage from just copying an .mp3 file(s) to a CD?

edit -- on 2nd thought I guess the advantage is space. You can fit multiple standard CDs on one physical CD -- but I'm not sure the quality will be as good.

4everbavarian
05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't get the issue with the .mp3s. If you burn mp3s to a CD by creating a music CD (not just copy folders), it plays like any music CD (that they were originally formatted as .mp3 wouldn't matter). It plays in any CD player.

I guess this allows drag and dropping folders to a CD, but don't you get pauses between tracks that way? It seems to me it would be better to burn it formatted as a music CD -- that all CD players can understand? Or is there some other advantage from just copying an .mp3 file(s) to a CD?
The advantage is you get a lot more music on one cd. If you convert your mp3's to a audio cd you get close to 80 min of music on one cd. If you burn "*.mp3" files onto the cd you get 700MB worth of mp3 files onto the cd which equals, depending on the quality of the mp3 (Kbps), 400 or more minutes.
edit: if you use 128 Kbps or better (192 or 256Kbps) when converting to mp3 I don't think you'll hear a difference.

Caesar
05-06-2005, 01:14 PM
The advantage is you get a lot more music on one cd. If you convert your mp3's to a audio cd you get close to 80 min of music on one cd. If you burn "*.mp3" files onto the cd you get 700MB worth of mp3 files onto the cd which equals, depending on the quality of the mp3 (Kbps), 400 or more minutes.
edit: if you use 128 Kbps or better (192 or 256Kbps) when converting to mp3 I don't think you'll hear a difference.

Interesting. No need to buy the CD changer then. I could convert my store bought CDs to .mp3 files -- and then copy perhaps 5 or more CDs worth of .mp3s onto one physical CD.

Less CDs to have to put in the car that way too. Quality probably won't be quite as good, but probably good enough.

Rob V
05-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Has anyone compared the difference between WMA and MP3? I've been told that WMA gives you smaller files allowing for more files on the CD but I don't know about the quality. Also, has anyone encountered a problem with the player reading 80min/700MB CD's?

4everbavarian
05-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Has anyone compared the difference between WMA and MP3? I've been told that WMA gives you smaller files allowing for more files on the CD but I don't know about the quality. Also, has anyone encountered a problem with the player reading 80min/700MB CD's?
Check the link I posted above. There might be some information. I am going to pick up my new X3 in Munich in a few weeks and did a lot of reading on the mp3 topic to be prepared when I go there and bring some CD's with me. To my knowledge there's no problem reading 80 min/700MB CD's.

JG
05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Maybe...however, by your own admission you have not yet tried. I seriously doubt that the radio changed from 04 to 05. Especially a simply function like to ff or rewind. Actually, the radio operated the same exact way in my 2000 323 as it did in my 2004 X3...i just tested it again. Maybe...the poster (JG) in Canada has a different system, or Maybe he just wrote what he believed to be true. Prior to your question I would have assumed the same thing. However, I went and tested it in both my Beemers before posting any incorrect info. But considering you are in PA and i'm in NJ I'd say yours works just like mine...or Maybe yours is defective.

I tried mine again and went over my manual for the single BMW Business CD in the 2005 Canadian X3 3.0i.

CD player can play MP3 or WMA.

Pressing the left or right arrow repeatedly on either the dash or steering wheel gets you to your desired track - one click = one track.

The manual button is used 'only' for selecting directories on CDs if they contain compressed format MP3's TR appears in the display and is followed by the directory and track i.e. TR05-003 - pressing the manual button selects another directory. It won't do anything on a normal CD so far as I can tell.

Pressing and holding the arrow keys will go to the beginning or end of a track (dash or steering).

Press the SC part of the mode key - and tracks are sampled for 10 seconds.

The negative (-) key to the right of the number 6 key is used to set the CD to play random songs (RND appears). Press the left (-) key and hold REP appears and the current track will be repeated.

Caesar
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I tried mine again and went over my manual for the single BMW Business CD in the 2005 Canadian X3 3.0i.

CD player can play MP3 or WMA.

Pressing the left or right arrow repeatedly on either the dash or steering wheel gets you to your desired track - one click = one track.

The manual button is used 'only' for selecting directories on CDs if they contain compressed format MP3's TR appears in the display and is followed by the directory and track i.e. TR05-003 - pressing the manual button selects another directory. It won't do anything on a normal CD so far as I can tell.

Pressing and holding the arrow keys will go to the beginning or end of a track (dash or steering).

Press the SC part of the mode key - and tracks are sampled for 10 seconds.

The negative (-) key to the right of the number 6 key is used to set the CD to play random songs (RND appears). Press the left (-) key and hold REP appears and the current track will be repeated.

I confirmed that the ONLY the thing the "m" button does on my CD player with a standard music CD, is it simply removes the ability to press any of the arrows briefly to skip immediately from track to track. WithOUT the "m" button pressed, I can skip track to track by briefly pressing (and releasing) any arrow button (steering wheel or dash).

With the "m" button enabled, briefly pressing doesn't skip track to track -- the arrows function only in the rewind/ff mode. However, I cannot rewind or FF beyond a track break whether the "m" button is enabled or not. Even while continuing to hold the rewind/ff arrow down, when it reaches the track beginning the "rewind" icon disappears from the screen and the track starts to play.

Anyone else experience this?

Caesar
05-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Well something is definitely different. I tested the radio/CD player extensively just now. With manual in hand and several CDs -- store bought.

I confirmed that the ONLY thing the "m" button does on my CD player with a standard music CD, is it simply removes the ability to press any of the arrows briefly to skip immediately from track to track. WithOUT the "m" button pressed, I can skip track to track by briefly pressing (and releasing) any arrow button (steering wheel or dash).

With the "m" button enabled, briefly pressing doesn't skip track to track -- the arrows function only in the rewind/ff mode. However, I CAN NOT rewind or FF beyond a track break whether the "m" button is enabled or not. Even while continuing to hold the rewind/ff arrow down, when it reaches the track beginning the "rewind" icon disappears from the screen and the track starts to play. It cannot be rewound from track to track.

The track break stops the function of Rewind. So maybe 2005 radios are slightly different. Or maybe it is CD dependent -- perhaps you have a CD with different track break technology? Try some older CDs maybe?

The only thing I can't figure out on the radio/CD player (and it is not mentioned in the manual) is "reg on" and "reg off".

If I press and HOLD, the RDS button, it brings up either "reg on" or "reg off". This does not effect the RDS funtionality, which is effected by briefly pressing the RDS button, thus displaying or not displaying an "*" next to RDS.

I can't figure out what the difference is between "reg on" and "reg off". It is not mentioned in the separate radio manual. There was nothing obvious with "reg" set to on or off. I left it on.

Anyone know what that does?

tromar1
05-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Hey Cees...I dunno what to tell you. Mine work the way you wished yours did. Sorry dude. Go complain to your dealer. Also, while you are complaining, tell them about the fact that you didn't get the right tires...Seems as if I got all the functionality you wanted.

Question: Is this your first BMW? I suspect that's the case. I too live 15 minutes from Philly...I drove all the way to West Chester and bought mine at Otto's.

That's neither here nor there...but for what its worth, the BMW Biz CD isn't worth the trouble...that's why i'm putting in the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and offered you mine...

Caesar
05-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey Cees...I dunno what to tell you. Mine work the way you wished yours did. Sorry dude. Go complain to your dealer. Also, while you are complaining, tell them about the fact that you didn't get the right tires...Seems as if I got all the functionality you wanted.

Question: Is this your first BMW? I suspect that's the case. I too live 15 minutes from Philly...I drove all the way to West Chester and bought mine at Otto's.

That's neither here nor there...but for what its worth, the BMW Biz CD isn't worth the trouble...that's why i'm putting in the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and offered you mine...

I dont' think the dealer would do anything -- if that is how the 2005 radio/cd is supposed to function (as I suspect). It is just something I will live with.

As far as the dealer, I got mine from West German BMW in Fort Washington.

tromar1
05-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Ironically, that's the only dealership I've not visited (for either sales or repairs). I have come to the realization the the 05 has more options than the 04 X3...for ex. the flashlight in the glove box is standard with the 05, and I think Bluetooth tech is also. Those are things that didn't come with the 04. I have since have the dealership install the flash light.

Good luck...As I stated before, I'm actually trying to replace my radio.

Caesar
05-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I confirmed that the ONLY the thing the "m" button does on my CD player with a standard music CD, is it simply removes the ability to press any of the arrows briefly to skip immediately from track to track. WithOUT the "m" button pressed, I can skip track to track by briefly pressing (and releasing) any arrow button (steering wheel or dash).

With the "m" button enabled, briefly pressing doesn't skip track to track -- the arrows function only in the rewind/ff mode.

However, I cannot rewind or FF beyond a track break whether the "m" button is enabled or not. Even while continuing to hold the rewind/ff arrow down, when it reaches the track beginning the "rewind" icon disappears from the screen and the track starts to play.

Anyone else experience this?

So who out there with a 2005 X3 -- and the stock radio/CD has looked at this? I'm wondering if this is the way the CD player is supposed to work.

Can anyone out there (with a 2005 X3), rewind from the start of one track to the end of the prior track (in other words, rewind through the beginning of a track, into the previous track)?

JG
05-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Can anyone out there (with a 2005 X3), rewind from the start of one track to the end of the prior track (in other words, rewind through the beginning of a track, into the previous track)?

Not possible on mine - it goes only to beginning or end of track as you describe.

Caesar
05-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Not possible on mine - it goes only to beginning or end of track as you describe.

I guess that is the way it is supposed to operate. Very odd. I've never heard of that on any CD player ever. Also, kind of annoying. ff or rewind is supposed to go throughout the entire CD, not just within a track. :mad:

Who makes this junky "business cd". Where can you find out more info on it -- perhaps how to change some of the functions? I did a google search on "business cd" and came up with nothing related.