PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break-In

Rob V
05-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I used the search function to find some good information on Engine Break-In recommended procedures but most, if not all, of the advice was for 3 or 5 series. Is there anything different worth noting on the X3 that I should be mindful of?

I read several varying recommendations such as don't go over 4,500rpm, don't drive above 100mph or 85mph. And some motorcycle guru has a website with very detailed procedures on how to break-in a motorcycle engine and states that it applies to cars as well.

One last comment is that I will be leasing the X3 and have heard that break-in isn't really necessary if you're leasing because you won't own it for the life of the vehicle. Can anyone coment on that?

JG
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I used the search function to find some good information on Engine Break-In recommended procedures but most, if not all, of the advice was for 3 or 5 series. Is there anything different worth noting on the X3 that I should be mindful of?

I read several varying recommendations such as don't go over 4,500rpm, don't drive above 100mph or 85mph. And some motorcycle guru has a website with very detailed procedures on how to break-in a motorcycle engine and states that it applies to cars as well.

One last comment is that I will be leasing the X3 and have heard that break-in isn't really necessary if you're leasing because you won't own it for the life of the vehicle. Can anyone coment on that?

The manual states to be reasonable during the first couple of thousand km - 1200 miles etc. It has other recommendations on the brakes for the first few hundred miles. If you have a standard it will be different than the steptronic where the gears are changed for you anyway. I would think you might just stay away from the manual setting - but sport is fine.

It does note to start - then drive away (don't sit and idle). My shop foreman told me just to drive it, and maybe set the handbrake a few times while coasting to a stop, to help set it.

Because you won't own it - doesn't seem like that should be a factor. You will own it for the lease period.

I took it easy for the first few hundred on the brakes, didn't gun it - and now that I am past that point I drive it freely.

Rob V
05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I guess the thought is that if you are leasing the car then you are going to be giving it back within a couple of years so why worry about the break-in. Well....I think that's a terrible mentality. Just because I'm not going to keep it doesn't mean I shouldn't take care of it. I would hate to be the person who buys a lease-trade in as their very first Bimmer only to have engine wear sooner than expected, despite taking the best care of it, because the first owner didn't break it in properly. that sounds like laziness on my part.

Of course this is all useless if proper break-in, or lack there of, makes little difference in the long run.

c_ralph
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
My dealer told me this for a X3 3.0i,

"No full throttle accelerations, keep it under 100mph, 5000 rpm and yes, vary your speeds and rpm for first 1200 miles.

Then between 1200 and 3100 miles, occaisional full throttle accels and you can push it a little, then after 3100 take it to red line once in a while and feel free to push it whenever.

The harder you drive it the faster it will be."

Regarding the lease question; the next owner would probably appreciate your effort to properly break-in the vehicle (engine).