PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider a 330i?

Robert A
05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Anyone here tempted by the new E90 instead of another 5 series? What are your thoughts?

arnolds
05-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Anyone here tempted by the new E90 instead of another 5 series? What are your thoughts?

Yes.

beewang
05-06-2005, 09:56 AM

Get both!! :thumbup:

philippek
05-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Yes.

+1

PropellerHead
05-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Anyone here tempted by the new E90 instead of another 5 series? What are your thoughts?After seeing a new 3 in the flesh at the local dealer, I am tempted. It feels about the same size as the E39 and I like the sheet metal. Interior is still kinda plasticy, but not as bad as the 3.0 X3 I was in for 3 weeks.

MaxBuck
05-06-2005, 10:42 AM
A dissenting voice here. I have never been really enamored of the 3-series; 5ers and 7ers have been the interesting cars for me. So unless the new e90 is a quantum step above the current model, I would not consider it.

Ågent99
05-06-2005, 10:46 AM
:stupid: ...but I would need to see it in person and take 'er for a spin....

Robert A
05-06-2005, 10:46 AM
One consideration is that a 530i is now about $10k more than a similarly equipped 330i. Back in the days of the E39, the price spread was closer to $5k-$6k.

MaxBuck
05-06-2005, 11:05 AM
:stupid: ...but I would need to see it in person and take 'er for a spin....
Agent99 - how did you know I'm stupid? Oh, that's right, you've read my other posts ... :rofl:

Ågent99
05-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Agent99 - how did you know I'm stupid? Oh, that's right, you've read my other posts ... :rofl:
:p

;)

abqhudson
05-06-2005, 05:15 PM
For the price of a new 330, you can buy a near new, low mileage 530. No comparison - between these cars, I much favor the new 5.

Jim

2002 3 series
2004 530i

philippek
05-06-2005, 05:32 PM
For the price of a new 330, you can buy a near new, low mileage 530. No comparison - between these cars, I much favor the new 5.

Different strokes...get the 3 and you get a much more fun package, with none of the questions that a used car brings with it.

MarcusSDCA
05-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Read my sig.

Oh, and it's $20,000 less than my 545 and I can fit in the back seat behind the driver seat....unlike my E46.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new 3 cannibalizes 5 series sales.

wagonman
05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
an interesting question no doubt...price wise the 5s have to make one pause....my good friend has 2000 323i. i dont like th way it drives. very stiff steering and a "herky-jerky" ride around town.

i will be very interested to see the new 3's. they look good in photos and the reviews are coming in quite positive.

sue
05-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I have a 2004 530 and am considering a 2006 330 instead of a 2006 530. The main reason is that it seems there have been reliability problems with the new 5 series. The only downside for me is the loss of pretige in going "down" to a 3.

The ride on the new 3 is tight and sharp whereas the 5 steering is a bit like an american car to me

Robert A
05-07-2005, 12:35 PM
The E46 ride suffered somewhat with the sport suspension. The E90 is significantly improved with the use of lightweight aluminum suspension parts similar to the E39. I own an E39 and drove the E90 recently. It's very nice.

an interesting question no doubt...price wise the 5s have to make one pause....my good friend has 2000 323i. i dont like th way it drives. very stiff steering and a "herky-jerky" ride around town.

i will be very interested to see the new 3's. they look good in photos and the reviews are coming in quite positive.

BMW528i_Bilal
05-07-2005, 09:44 PM

And the fact that you bought a Honda for $35,000. lol

MaxBuck
05-08-2005, 11:19 AM
And the fact that you bought a Honda for $35,000. lol
Actually, it's leased. And I paid a lot less for the lease than I would have for, say, a Camry. And it's been a good car. Not nearly as good as the 545i Sport I have on order, of course ...

WTF people here need to slam Hondas is beyond me. One of the best engine manufacturers in the world IMO. Specific output from the 2-L Honda 2000 engine is phenomenal. Granted, the old generation TL (like mine) handled a tad vaguely (to be charitable), but try driving a new TL with good shoes and I think you will be surprised. The new TL is scary good for the $$.

Ågent99
05-09-2005, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the new 3 cannibalizes 5 series sales.
I'm sure BMW will be VERY careful with this although I just can't see a "5-er guy" going for a "3-er" but you never know...Bob here is looking into doing just that! :)

E39s and E46s have always been VERY different feeling cars to drive and so the line was pretty clear. I'm guessing that line still exists when comparing an E90 and E60 but :dunno:

Granted, I have not driven an E-90 yet and only spent 5-days and 1250 miles in my ED 545i, but the E60 was an AMAZING vehicle to traverse around Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and Switzerland in.

hector
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Different strokes...get the 3 and you get a much more fun package, with none of the questions that a used car brings with it.

i guess you'd be a good one to ask given the vehicles that you own! do you find that the greater power to weight ratio of your 545 in any way negates the nimbleness of the 3er in terms of fun to drive, might the extra ponies in the 550 put the 5er over the top? i'm considering either a 550 or e46 m3 depending on how relatively attractive the leases are come fall of this year. assuming that the monthly payments are comparable at the time what would your thoughts be about the 2 vehicles? thanks!!

Robert A
05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Your situation is a little different because you're driving a 545i, and there is no comparable vehicle in the 3 series range. The V8-engined BMWs have such a vastly different feel that completely alters the driving experience.

I'm sure BMW will be VERY careful with this although I just can't see a "5-er guy" going for a "3-er" but you never know...Bob here is looking into doing just that! :)

E39s and E46s have always been VERY different feeling cars to drive and so the line was pretty clear. I'm guessing that line still exists when comparing an E90 and E60 but :dunno:

Granted, I have not driven an E-90 yet and only spent 5-days and 1250 miles in my ED 545i, but the E60 was an AMAZING vehicle to traverse around Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and Switzerland in.

philippek
05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
i guess you'd be a good one to ask given the vehicles that you own! do you find that the greater power to weight ratio of your 545 in any way negates the nimbleness of the 3er in terms of fun to drive, might the extra ponies in the 550 put the 5er over the top? i'm considering either a 550 or e46 m3 depending on how relatively attractive the leases are come fall of this year. assuming that the monthly payments are comparable at the time what would your thoughts be about the 2 vehicles? thanks!!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91622&highlight=initial+driving+impressions

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95920&highlight=Quick+330i

The 5 and 3 are completely different vehicles. I don't think that any amount of power would change the 5's basic dynamics. I am curious to see how the 550i will be w/o AS, but unless it's a very dramatic difference, I'll be driving a 330i again quite soon.

MarcusSDCA
05-09-2005, 10:21 PM

With all due respect Agent99, you were driving the 545 through the Alps! How can that not be amazing? Once the romance of Europe is over and the boat docks in Hoboken (ok, Oxnard)...reality sets in. I know...I've done it.

I was talking (yes, talking) to Beewang the other day and we discussed the new 3 vs the 545 (I have the latter and am switching to the former). I asked him why the 3 feels so much sportier than my V8 monster. He simply said "physics". Big cars don't drive like small cars.

MaxBuck
05-10-2005, 05:07 AM
Marcus, wouldn't the mountain road between Laguna Niguel and Lake Elsinore be kind of analogous to Alpine driving? I know I would rather drive that road in a Bimmer (5er, 3er, even 1er) than the Kia Optima I experienced the road with. A beautiful highway that would have been much more enjoyable if my knuckles were not white with anxiety!

arnolds
05-10-2005, 05:51 AM
With all due respect Agent99, you were driving the 545 through the Alps! How can that not be amazing? Once the romance of Europe is over and the boat docks in Hoboken (ok, Oxnard)...reality sets in. I know...I've done it.

I was talking (yes, talking) to Beewang the other day and we discussed the new 3 vs the 545 (I have the latter and am switching to the former). I asked him why the 3 feels so much sportier than my V8 monster. He simply said "physics". Big cars don't drive like small cars.

They're two different cars, no doubt about that. Of course the new 3 series sedan will feel sportier than the e60, its smaller and more nimble. My 1999 E46 323 was a blast to drive compared to my 2001 E39 530 even w/ HR springs and Bilstein shocks. If you really want some fun, go get a z4 3.0 and drive it to Palomar Mountain one of these weekends.

As for your Beewang conversation, I'm surprised he knew physics at all! :p

tmoody
05-10-2005, 06:36 AM
good points all around. the underlying factor, truly, is how your perceptions are as you drive the car. i've recently switched from an '03 E46 330 to an '05 E60 530. i like to think that i "drove" the 330 for the year I owned it spiritedly throwing it around some nice back country roads here in TN. No doubt about it, the 3 was a fun sedan that responded much like many 2 seater sports cars.
However, having owned the 530 for a few weeks now, and taking it around some of the same back roads testing some of its "bigger car" agility, the 5 is definitely not as tame as it leads on to be. Yes, the ride/driver interaction with the car seems a little more muted, the 5 series with the sport package is definitely more than capable around these twisty back roads. seemingly defying the laws of physics, the antiroll stabilization helps keep the car on track at some spirited cornering speeds.
bottom line, i traded out of the 3 for a little more room and creature comforts while wanting to maintain a spirited drive. i think the 530 does that well and the 545 probably even better. for me, any extra exhiliration that i feel the need to take part in was supplemented by going the other route with BMW...........and picking up an R1100s.

Ågent99
05-10-2005, 06:49 AM

I was talking (yes, talking) to Beewang the other day and we discussed the new 3 vs the 545 (I have the latter and am switching to the former). I asked him why the 3 feels so much sportier than my V8 monster. He simply said "physics". Big cars don't drive like small cars.:D Actually, we didn't make it to the Alps...saw 'em...but didn't go there. :)

As Arn already stated, the 3er will always feel more sportier and nimble (tossable) due to the size difference. The 3s and 5s are just simply different beasts...why do you think there are 3s and 5s??

For me, a 3 series is for more or less single folks or folks without kids. Yeah, yeah, I know there are plenty out there who have a kid or two and find the 3 perfectly adequate but I have one kid and I did not find it all that comfortable.

I grew up taking family driving vacations all across the US and so I really wanted a nice roomy cruising vehicle for those times and the 5-series really fit the bill for me and my family. It is the perfect compromise between a luxury sedan and a sporty sedan.

In fact, this September, the wife and I (sans kid :thumbup: :D ) are planning a nice trip North (Vancouver, BC, Alberta, Glacier Nat'l Park, etc.) and I think we'll take the 545i! :D :D I think it'll be a glorious trip.

Now, after all that, I still have not driven an E90 but, frankly, it just doesn't interest me. I am quite happy in my E60....

Okay, beewang and physics??? :dunno: He's a bean-counter and can't stretch much further than that! :rofl:

530iii
05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
E90 330i for the ladyfriend, E60 545i for me! :thumbup:

hector
05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91622&highlight=initial+driving+impressions

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95920&highlight=Quick+330i

The 5 and 3 are completely different vehicles. I don't think that any amount of power would change the 5's basic dynamics. I am curious to see how the 550i will be w/o AS, but unless it's a very dramatic difference, I'll be driving a 330i again quite soon.

thanks for the links and your comments!
and thanks as well to all the other contributors, very valuable perspectives.
i'm thinking at this point to stay small, i.e. another 3er either e46 m3 or e90(the rumored intermediate model between the 330 and m3).