PDA

View Full Version : Nav question?

Spartacus_33
05-06-2005, 03:02 PM
I've looked through the I-drive menu and I've scanned the voice commands for nav commands...... I'm stumped!!! :dunno:

How do I tell my beautiful Nav babe to stop giving me directions and go to sleep?

I know if I shut the car off and restart it, I'm asked if I want to continue with Nav directions.... I want to shut it off while driving.

Any suggestions?

arnolds
05-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I've looked through the I-drive menu and I've scanned the voice commands for nav commands...... I'm stumped!!! :dunno:

How do I tell my beautiful Nav babe to stop giving me directions and go to sleep?

I know if I shut the car off and restart it, I'm asked if I want to continue with Nav directions.... I want to shut it off while driving.

Any suggestions?

Try Instruction Off.

Spartacus_33
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Try Instruction Off.
Will do...... thanks.

mlahti
05-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I was annoyed by the same. I don't think you can do it. Version 16.2 and the changes to the navigation screen seem to have a discontinue guidance selection.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

beewang
05-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Its not a discountinue guidance you are looking for. You are looking for a mute/volume off thing. Try and use the voice command to get you to the setup screen.

cheers,

beewang :bigpimp:

CapeBimmer
05-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Agreed, it is hard to turn off, I turn the volume down when it speaks and voila, no more voice.

I'm sure there is a way, but I have not figured it out. I think there is a way to "uncheck" the destination on the screen and it stops . . .

Waiting to get 16.2 . . .

arnolds
05-06-2005, 09:09 PM
In 16.2, the Instruction Off button is now on the left of the main map along with 4 other screen buttons.

Spartacus_33
05-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Try Instruction Off.
Didn't work! I'll see if I can find what Bee is talking about.

Anyone know if upgrading to 16.2 or > is typically done free of charge? :dunno:

HEF545i
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
My U.S. version of 16.2 has voice commands that will switch the spoken commands on or off with "Navigation Info On" or Navigation Info Off." Route guidance with "Guidance On/Guidance Off." These commands are also on the Navigation voice options menu.

beewang
05-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Didn't work! I'll see if I can find what Bee is talking about.

Anyone know if upgrading to 16.2 or > is typically done free of charge? :dunno:

It will be free IF you make a complaint on the nav based on an issue that will be solved by 16.2. Another words, you can't goto the dealer and tell them "Dude!! I need you to install 16.2" They won't do that. But if you say "there is a problem w/ XXXX"" and knowing that to solve your complaint they would have to install 16.2. Viola!! :p That's your tix ;)

Spartacus_33
05-10-2005, 07:43 AM
It will be free IF you make a complaint on the nav based on an issue that will be solved by 16.2. Another words, you can't goto the dealer and tell them "Dude!! I need you to install 16.2" They won't do that. But if you say "there is a problem w/ XXXX"" and knowing that to solve your complaint they would have to install 16.2. Viola!! :p That's your tix ;)

Bee,

Thanks........ so aside from the slightly annoying issue with not being able to turn off NAV directions while "on the go"......... does anyone have a list of what was fixed in 16.2?

MarcusSDCA
05-10-2005, 09:21 AM
On the right half of the steering wheel there are 2 buttons that are the "optional" function buttons. The top one will mute the Nav Lady. Just hold it it for 3 seconds.

Spartacus_33
05-10-2005, 10:24 AM
On the right half of the steering wheel there are 2 buttons that are the "optional" function buttons. The top one will mute the Nav Lady. Just hold it it for 3 seconds.
Marcus,

Interesting... will this permanently mute her for the duration of the route or must this be done each time she feels instruction needs to be given?

MarcusSDCA
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
It will shut her up until you push that button again. You will see the mute icon come on the left side of the screen when you do this.

She can be really annoying. Alternatively you can change the right side screen to "Arrow Directions" or something like that....and you can get non-verbal directions...it's a little harder because you have to look at that screen instead of being told when to turn.

F6maniac
05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I have 16.2 which has the soft buttons down the side of the Nav screen. But the same buttons are located across the top of my arrow display. Look for a "arrow" pointing at a "dot" to turn on and off guidance. Look on page 135 of the manual for mor info if you need it. :)

Spartacus_33
05-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I have 16.2 which has the soft buttons down the side of the Nav screen. But the same buttons are located across the top of my arrow display. Look for a "arrow" pointing at a "dot" to turn on and off guidance. Look on page 135 of the manual for mor info if you need it. :)
Sounds like everything you mention here is 16.2 specific. I'll check page 135.
One more question.... what is a "soft" button?

hormazd
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Prior to CIP 16x you have two options to stop the NAV voice.

1) Go back to your destination list- scroll to the highlighted destination with an arrow to the left. Push down and uncheck guidance. This will terminate the guidance.

2) if you want to simply mute voice. Assuming you have NAV instructions programmed on the steering wheel button, you can hold it down for 3 seconds to mute or unmute voice. If you have a map display you will see the icon for voice on or off.

directcj
05-10-2005, 05:52 PM

I tried to get Crevier to install 16.2 on my 05 525 and I can confirm that they will not install install unless you can point to a specific issue that 16.2 will resolve.

So.... what are these issues so I can confirm that I do have the issue (and that it is something that will bug me) and go to the dealer and get the s/w upgrade?

On the matter of the topic, the NAV can be muted, it is under the setup menu. Also, as MARCUS330 mentioned, IF you programmed one of your buttons on the steering wheel, you can shut off "Gretchen".

F6maniac
05-10-2005, 06:22 PM
I guess soft buttons wasn't a good choice of words. What I meant was icons.

Spartacus_33
05-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Prior to CIP 16x you have two options to stop the NAV voice.

1) Go back to your destination list- scroll to the highlighted destination with an arrow to the left. Push down and uncheck guidance. This will terminate the guidance.

2) if you want to simply mute voice. Assuming you have NAV instructions programmed on the steering wheel button, you can hold it down for 3 seconds to mute or unmute voice. If you have a map display you will see the icon for voice on or off.
PERFECT! You gotta love this site!

beewang
05-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Bee,

Thanks........ so aside from the slightly annoying issue with not being able to turn off NAV directions while "on the go"......... does anyone have a list of what was fixed in 16.2?

I would love to help you out dude... but as you can see, I am no longer an owner :(

Hormazd is da man, homeboy taugh me everything I know on the 545 :thumbup: :p

Spartacus_33
05-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I would love to help you out dude... but as you can see, I am no longer an owner :(

Hormazd is da man, homeboy taugh me everything I know on the 545 :thumbup: :p

No problem Obee Whan........
One question though..... when you do your ED in the fall will you abandon the E60 forums and only play within the 6 series forums?
OK... one more question... what happened to YOKO's bimmer that she was supposed to get in the fall? :D

vern
05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
My U.S. version of 16.2 has voice commands that will switch the spoken commands on or off with "Navigation Info On" or Navigation Info Off." Route guidance with "Guidance On/Guidance Off." These commands are also on the Navigation voice options menu.
Tried the voice commands and they all work just fine.Its realy the quick and easy way,
cheers
vern

CapeBimmer
05-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Vern,

How did your voice command work before you had the 16.2 upgrade?

I have 13.2 and if the car is stopped (no ambient noise) it works well. But if the car is moving it gets it right only about 40% of the time. That makes it very frustrating to use. We call her the B**ch :mad:

Steve

vern
05-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Vern,

How did your voice command work before you had the 16.2 upgrade?

I have 13.2 and if the car is stopped (no ambient noise) it works well. But if the car is moving it gets it right only about 40% of the time. That makes it very frustrating to use. We call her the B**ch :mad:

Steve
Never tried it before I had the upgrade.
cheers
vern

speedracerf4i
05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
I tried to get Crevier to install 16.2 on my 05 525 and I can confirm that they will not install install unless you can point to a specific issue that 16.2 will resolve.

So.... what are these issues so I can confirm that I do have the issue (and that it is something that will bug me) and go to the dealer and get the s/w upgrade?

On the matter of the topic, the NAV can be muted, it is under the setup menu. Also, as MARCUS330 mentioned, IF you programmed one of your buttons on the steering wheel, you can shut off "Gretchen".

Just tell them that your damn radio always come on in the morning and your sensitive ear cannot take it. 16.2 will fix that.