PDA

View Full Version : New X3!! Finally!! Pix!!

climrgrl
05-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Woo-hoo! I'm so excited! Just picked up my new X3! Attached are some quick pics I just fired off. Can't wait to leave work and drive, Drive, DRIVE!!! Added my first piece of trim already -- chrome exhaust tips. My boyfriend, who orignally thought I was just going overboard, even admitted they were ugly once he saw them. OK, back to work so I can leave sooner!

:clap:

And it did take the full 8 weeks (plus 4 days) from order date to arrival. Had to order, no manual trannys anywhere near CA.

Oh, right, also very impressed with how neat & tidy the undercarriage is. Nothing hanging down low, full 8 inches of ground clearance all around. Kudos to BMW engineers!

OK, sig didn't turn out, so here are specs:
2005 X3 3.0i, manual, mystic blue, soon-to-be-replaced dark maple wood interior trim, gray leather (premium pkg), heated seats, chrome exhaust tips.

MG67
05-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Sweeet!:thumbup: Enjoy your new car :p

B r i a n
05-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Congratulations! :thumbup:
Very Nice.
What are you looking to change your dark wood trim to?

2005 X3 3.0i
Silvery Gray
Gray Leather
Light Wood trim
Icelink Plus
Etc.

climrgrl
05-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Congratulations! :thumbup:
Very Nice.
What are you looking to change your dark wood trim to?

2005 X3 3.0i
Silvery Gray
Gray Leather
Light Wood trim
Icelink Plus
Etc.

Thanks!

As for the trim, I'm just not a wood person and I didn't like the dots on the aluminum. So there was really nothing I liked for the 3.0. I ordered a matte titanium trim kit from a 2.5, and even though it may be "cheaper", I think I like it the best. I'm going to do a little comparison this weekend and most likely swap it out. It was kind of a "lesser of evils" thing, the only somewhat disappointing thing about the X3! I decided no not go with an aftermarket 3rd party kit -- general feedback was that they looked really bad (stuck on over original trim instead of true replacement pieces).

Rob V
05-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Very nice! Congrats. I should have my Mystic Blue in about 5-6 weeks also.

iChick
05-06-2005, 07:31 PM
LOL! I have been checking every day to see when your "baby" would get here.... CONGRATS! It looks great. Nice tailpipes! I'm happy for you! :beerchug:

JG
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
And it did take the full 8 weeks (plus 4 days) from order date to arrival. Had to order, no manual trannys anywhere near CA.

Congratulations - it seemed like you were waiting forever..............

x39339
05-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Woo-hoo! I'm so excited! Just picked up my new X3! Attached are some quick pics I just fired off. Can't wait to leave work and drive, Drive, DRIVE!!! Added my first piece of trim already -- chrome exhaust tips. My boyfriend, who orignally thought I was just going overboard, even admitted they were ugly once he saw them. OK, back to work so I can leave sooner!

Oh, right, also very impressed with how neat & tidy the undercarriage is. Nothing hanging down low, full 8 inches of ground clearance all around. Kudos to BMW engineers!

2005 X3 3.0i, manual, mystic blue, soon-to-be-replaced dark maple wood interior trim, gray leather (premium pkg), heated seats, chrome exhaust tips.

Congratulations! The wait is finally over for you, I know how painful the waiting part is. Nice chrome exhaust tips. Where did u get them? From the dealer or aftermarket?

JG
05-06-2005, 09:14 PM

I thought there were no chrome kidney grills in the U.S. only Canada? The outline at least looks to be chrome............

climrgrl
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Whew! Just got back from driving around for the evening, man was that fun! I'm being pretty mellow, just getting used to the car, but what a difference! Ok, so, my previous vehicle was a Toyota Highlander, maybe you get my drift.....the X3's handling is awesome, so nice to be back in a basically rear-wheel-drive vehicle. My previous RWD vehicle was a '92 Toyota 4Runner - do you understand how excited I am yet? I love the feel of the suspension and how little body roll there is. The sound of the inline 6 is so yummy. The driver's seat is the most comfortable one I've been in and the adjustable lumbar support is great. Passenger-side lumbar too! Who'd have thunk? The climate controls....well, let's just say that a year of bagging on my boyfriend's VW R32's "Climatronic" have come back to bite me in the butt. It's not very intuitive for one who is used to dials, but I'm sure I'll get used to it and come to appreciate it. And the layout is way better than the Climatronic anyway. The sunroof is gorgeous.

To answer a few questions:
Yeah, I was surprised about the semi-chrome grilles too. You're correct, only the outline is chrome. The vertical slats are just black plastic.

I followed someone else's lead here (can't remember whose post I read, but thanks!) about the exhaust tips, and got them from Hammersley BWM (hambmw) on eBay. There are quite a few sellers with them, all around the same price (~$60) once you calculate shipping. My local dealer doesn't seem too interested in the parts/accessories aspect, so I went elsewhere. iChick, you totally need a pair. Your sig makes me sad!

They also weren't interested in throwing any freebies my way either. No floor mats, no t-shirt, no hat, no nada. Oh well. I feel I paid a reasonable price for the vehicle, so if an extra $500 meant that I got some floormats and a hat, well, then I'm ahead of the game and feeling good. Besides, I had a set of the OEM rubber floor mats purchased from eBay waiting anyway.

Hey, don't look at me like I'm an obsessive freak, I had 2 whole months to wait! :)

B r i a n
05-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Glad to hear you are enjoying the ride.
Please post pictures of the matte titanium trim kit once you get it installed.
I agree of the three interior trim options on the 3.0, none stood out.
I picked the light wood as the less evil so to speak.
My X3 also has crome around the kidney slats, the slats are black.
Didn't realize this was a change.
I also did European delivery (Picked up in Feb 05) arrived in DC exactly six weeks later.
I dropped off in Zurich.
Every day I have the X3 I think it drives better -I love it.
Enjoy :p
My only complaint is brake dust, I have been cleaning weels about once a week, I already have 3,000 miles logged.

By the way, mine came with a first aid kit, (under passenger seat), did yours?
I also did not get any freebies, but I also think I got a good price.
Enjoy :drive:

2005 X3 3.0i, SG, Gray Leather, Light wood trim
Premuim pack and audio, Nav, Icelink Plus,
heated seats, folding mirros, Zenon lights

jshod
05-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Our new silver/gray metallic with black leather X3 3.0 is sitting at our dealer right now. We will get it next week. We are finalizing the lease details. My wife is presently leasing an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro and will be turning it in for the X3. I finally convinced her about BMW's!! It has Auto, Xenons, tinted glass, heated seats, rear airbags, deluxe stereo, aluminum trim, servotronic(?) steering, and Premium pkg. It will look nice sitting next to my 330cic in the garage!!

Veinard
05-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Congrats on your new car! :thumbup:
I can imagine how excited you must be. I am patiently waiting for mine to arrive :liar: I ordered mine 4 weeks ago (Black Sapphire; sand beige leather; light wood trim; NAV; Premium package;Xenon headlights; privacy glass; Premium sound; steptronic; and more...). I got chrome kidney grilles from Ebay (See Chrome Window Surround (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86312&page=2&highlight=chrome+kidney) thread) that I planned to get installed; chrome window trim (the Sales rep didn't know about it, not sure I can get them) and chrome exhaust tips. Are they different models of chrome exhaust tips out there? If yes; which one did you get?

echelon153
05-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Nice color :thumbup: Congratulations and enjoy!

climrgrl
05-07-2005, 09:36 PM
chrome window trim (the Sales rep didn't know about it, not sure I can get them) and chrome exhaust tips. Are they different models of chrome exhaust tips out there? If yes; which one did you get?

Hmmm...I did a little research into the chrome window trim. I was quoted some prices that seemed a bit high to me -- around $90 per pair and there are 3 pairs. I was thinking of calling up Pacific BMW to get a quote from them. They were a huge help with getting me the alternate interior trim and a pleasure to speak & email with. I've put the chrome trim on the backburner for now (gotta install the ice>link first), but I'd love to hear what you find. I've found www.realoem.com to be a great help in the part numbers department, and here are the ones I came up with for the chrome window pieces. You probably should double-check them, but I think they're right.
51 70 3 400 809 - Chrome exterior channel cover, front left door
51 70 3 400 810 - Chrome exterior channel cover, front right door
51 70 3 400 811 - Chrome outer weatherstrip, rear left door
51 70 3 400 812 - Chrome outer weatherstrip, rear right door
51 36 3 401 401 - Chrome side window finisher, rear left
51 36 3 401 402 - Chrome side window finisher, rear right
The only thing that makes me hesitant is that I've never mucked with replaced window trim and weatherstripping before. So I don't know if it's tricky to seal it back up as nice as it was originally.

I got the OEM BMW exhaust tips. They're very nice and super-easy to install with just one set screw each. Took longer to find the right screwdriver than to install. :) I didn't really shop around for different types, so I don't know what the competition is like. Part number is: 82 12 0 305 010 and you need 2. I noted that Pacific BMW lists them on their website for $23.48 each, so they're very competitive with eBay sellers.
http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/frame1.asp?modelid=532

I too, ordered a pair of the chrome grilles, probably from the same eBay seller. They haven't come in yet, but I'm wondering if my stock ones are so very different. We'll see. If they're practically the same...well....there's always eBay.

climrgrl
05-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes and congrats, everyone! It's such a pleasure to be a part of such a supportive and informative community, albeit a "virtual" one!

For those of you who are still waiting -- I feel your pain! The last week was absolute murder, but having what you want is worth every minute of waiting.

:thumbup:

climrgrl
05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
It was a beautiful day to go driving around, practicing shifting smoothly and unlearning a bunch of bad habits I somehow picked up somewhere, or maybe I just never learned some proper good habits! The bf's been a saint -- a very good teacher, full of patience and useful suggestions. Here are some pix from the drive, typical countryside with farmland, cows, and vineyards. Plus a pic of "his and hers" cars -- blue X3 and blue R32.

JG
05-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Here are some pix from the drive, typical countryside with farmland, cows, and vineyards.

That's one of the first shots I've seen of an X3 'off road' :thumbup:

The last 2 country shots look like advertisement photos!

Sunnygal
05-09-2005, 05:16 AM
I would like to install chrome exhaust tips on my new X3. Was the install easy (I am NOT very mechanical)? What type of screw driver is required?

Caesar
05-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I got the OEM BMW exhaust tips. They're very nice and super-easy to install with just one set screw each. Took longer to find the right screwdriver than to install. :) I didn't really shop around for different types, so I don't know what the competition is like. Part number is: 82 12 0 305 010 and you need 2. I noted that Pacific BMW lists them on their website for $23.48 each, so they're very competitive with eBay sellers.
http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/frame1.asp?modelid=532

So what exactly is needed as far as a screwdriver? Some special tool? Are the screws provided.

Also, from Pacific BMW's website, it says two are required -- does that mean two orders (or does one order include both tips)? It is not clear.

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow, it's a chrome tip buying spree!

Sunnygal and Caesar -- sorry to confuse. No special screwdriver needed, just a large flat-bladed one. It was more a comment on my state of tool organization (or lack thereof) -- when you need a flatblade, all you can find are phillips ones or vice versa. :) Yes, screws are provided. Installation was super-easy, just slide on the tips and crank tightly. The screw doesn't go into a hole, they just function as set-screws, pushing against the existing tailpipe to hold the tips in place. Screws are on the underside of the tips, so they don't show normally. No worries for the not-mechanically-inclined, absolutely anyone can do this.

I got mine off of eBay and they were sold as a pair. However, the 2 are the same part and come packaged separately, so my guess is that you need to order a quantity of 2 from Pacific BMW's website. Total for parts should be around $50, not $25.

Enjoy!

Caesar
05-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Wow, it's a chrome tip buying spree!

Sunnygal and Caesar -- sorry to confuse. No special screwdriver needed, just a large flat-bladed one. It was more a comment on my state of tool organization (or lack thereof) -- when you need a flatblade, all you can find are phillips ones or vice versa. :) Yes, screws are provided. Installation was super-easy, just slide on the tips and crank tightly. The screw doesn't go into a hole, they just function as set-screws, pushing against the existing tailpipe to hold the tips in place. Screws are on the underside of the tips, so they don't show normally. No worries for the not-mechanically-inclined, absolutely anyone can do this.

I got mine off of eBay and they were sold as a pair. However, the 2 are the same part and come packaged separately, so my guess is that you need to order a quantity of 2 from Pacific BMW's website. Total for parts should be around $50, not $25.

Enjoy!

That Pacific BMW site is great. I might have to buy a few things -- not just the chrome tips. I might have to get the BMW license plate frame, so I can remove the advertisement for my dealer frame that is on there now.

Also, the electronic tire pressure gauge is a must. It has an LCD readout and is only $18.00.

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/photos/a00106503.JPG

The cleaning products and tools look great too.

My dealer charged me $75.00 for a cargo liner mat that Pacific BMW is selling for only $50.00. Of course, I haven't checked out shipping -- and I'm on the east coast.

pipo
05-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Congrats on the X3! You two must make quite a pair, driving around in your sporty blue vehicles.

Question: As a former GTI owner, how does the R32 compare to the X3? Is the bf now jealous of your ride or is he still happy to have the VW?

climrgrl
05-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Question: As a former GTI owner, how does the R32 compare to the X3? Is the bf now jealous of your ride or is he still happy to have the VW?

Oh, they're two very different vehicles. The R32 is really a rocket, similar in speed and handling to a Subaru STi or a Mitsubishi EVO. It only has 2 doors, the backseat is ridiculously tiny, but the interior is way nicer than either the STi or EVO. It's all leather with brushed aluminum trim and very comfortable sport bucket seats with huge bolsters. His heated seats get hotter, which I'm a little jealous of, but the X3's heated seats are really just fine. The suspension is very stiff, making it a challenge to live among pot-holed roads! But the handling is superb, the acceleration is way quicker than the X3, and most importantly for him, there's just enough space to stick a hand-launched glider (model airplane) in the back with the rear seat folded down.

The X3 is much more utilitarian in comparison. You can actually fit 4 people comfortably and still have space in the back for stuff. It has ground clearance while the R32 has none. In the R32 you have to be very diligent about every incline in and out of a parking lot, and that's just not an issue with the X3. So the X3 handles really well for an SUV, but it really is an SUV. It is not as fast or stiff and has more body roll.

They're both very nice cars. He does really like the X3 and thinks it's fun, which is really saying something because he's pretty picky about cars! But in the end, he'd rather have a small rocket and I'd rather have something that is better for trips to the mountains. So he's still very happy with the R32. Maybe jealous of a slightly more user-friendly climate control system, but that's about it.

pipo
05-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Well done comparison. I really wanted to get the R32 instead of the X3, but I didn't bother to test drive it, because my wife was insistent about getting an SUV, and I didn't want to feel frustrated about our purchase decision. In any case, we LOVE our X3.

Anyway, I'm not sure the R32 would really have been practical, with its low ground clearance in our harsh winter climate. And the X3 beats everything out there, including the R32, if you combine fun-to-drive and practicality. The X3 is amazing in the snow and ice, almost magical if you're not accustomed to the sophisticated correction systems that keep you on the asphalt. Just be sure to get real snow tires if you're going to encounter more than the occasional light snow, so the X-Drive and the DSC can do their job.

By way, I drove the original WRX a few years ago, and despised it compared to my GTI. Way too much turbo lag, no low end grunt, cheesy interior. And while the handling capabilities were there in purely technical terms, the feedback and road feel were no where near as sophisticated as the VW's.

Talking about feedback and road feel, that's another area where the X3 truly shines. Unless I'm racing, where the raw performance numbers count for more than anything, I'd much rather drive a car that talks to me than a higher performance vehicle that doesn't. Another reason I love driving my X3.

Enjoy yours to the max!