PDA

View Full Version : 545i ,low miles, white exhaust smoke?

E60orBust
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a 545i with less than 2000 miles on it. Bought it brand new from the dealer last thanksgiving (04) as an 05 model and it only had 10 miles on it before my test drive.

It's garage kept as a weekend car, but yesterday when I moved it out of my garage to do some cleaning in the garage, I noticed a puff of white smoke come out of the exhaust when I was ready to pull it back in. This was a small cloud of smoke, but enough so that I noticed it from the driver seat as the wind blew it past the passenger window, but not the type of smoke you'd see from someone doing a heavy burnout.

I consider myself a 'sporty' driver but I never push the car really hard, so should I be worried about this white smoke or is it just the 'newness' still burning off?

I also have a 330XI which I had custom built in 03 and I've never seen this same white smoke come out of that car so I'm a little worried.

HeroThatZero
05-08-2005, 02:05 AM
There's a new Pope!

E60orBust
05-08-2005, 10:08 AM
There's a new Pope!

But my car's not catholic!

BillP
05-08-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a 545i with less than 2000 miles on it. Bought it brand new from the dealer last thanksgiving (04) as an 05 model and it only had 10 miles on it before my test drive.

It's garage kept as a weekend car, but yesterday when I moved it out of my garage to do some cleaning in the garage, I noticed a puff of white smoke come out of the exhaust when I was ready to pull it back in. This was a small cloud of smoke, but enough so that I noticed it from the driver seat as the wind blew it past the passenger window, but not the type of smoke you'd see from someone doing a heavy burnout.

I consider myself a 'sporty' driver but I never push the car really hard, so should I be worried about this white smoke or is it just the 'newness' still burning off?

I also have a 330XI which I had custom built in 03 and I've never seen this same white smoke come out of that car so I'm a little worried.

Typically, white smoke = water, blue smoke = oil, so I would be concerned. It is possible that the water comes from condensation in the exhaust resulting from your infrequent use of the car, but I'd have it checked out anyway. Before you do that, however, go take it for a long spirited drive, perhaps a couple of hours, to see if the problem goes away. If so, perhaps it was just water in the exhaust.

Regarding the Pope comments ... the car was built just outside of Munich, ya know!

Bill

E60orBust
05-08-2005, 12:56 PM
go take it for a long spirited drive, perhaps a couple of hours, to see if the problem goes away. If so, perhaps it was just water in the exhaust.

The smoke isn't continuous. After the initial ignition, the smoke stops after a few seconds if being idle.

It got me concerned because the I did a search before my post and found a few people talking about a damaged head gasket. Needless to say, this post got me worried http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490&highlight=white+exhaust

Other than the similar white smoke, my car shares none of his symptoms.

Lanc3r
05-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I would be seriously concerned about any smoke on a 2000 mile motor. How was the break-in process handled? If you are burning oil (blue smoke), I would imagine it is coming from your piston rings. Happens sometimes when the rings arent properly set during break-in. Basically if you didnt vary your idle, you could have worn the piston rings in one spot, and you will ALWAYS leak and burn oil past your piston rings. I have no idea how BMW handles this problem. I definitly would take your car in for a nice diagnostic and emissions testing. Im not sure you will really even get much coopertation from a dealer since nothing is "technically " broken. But an emissions certified Independent mechanic should have no problem telling you what and if you are burning anything.

Good luck!

BillP
05-08-2005, 02:31 PM
The smoke isn't continuous. After the initial ignition, the smoke stops after a few seconds if being idle.

It got me concerned because the I did a search before my post and found a few people talking about a damaged head gasket. Needless to say, this post got me worried http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490&highlight=white+exhaust

Other than the similar white smoke, my car shares none of his symptoms.

If it were the head gasket, or any other problem where radiator fluid were getting into the cylinder, the smoke would be fairly continuous though it could be worse at startup. However, it is possible it is a very tiny leak where water is slowly dripping in while the car is idle.

Water in the exhaust would be the opposite of what you are seeing where it may not appear until after the car was hot so it would not be there at startup.

Definitely get it checked out. If the dealer claims it is normal, have them start up several other similar cars on the lot - if it doesn't happen there, you have your proof it is not normal. Assuming it is a tiny head gasket leak, it will only get worse over time.

Bill

E60orBust
05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I would be seriously concerned about any smoke on a 2000 mile motor. How was the break-in process handled?

Breakin was standard fair i guess.
No heavy accelerations. No speeds above 80, no Revs past 3500RPM, etc.

The breakin process was actually 'handled' by a relative who is a real lightfoot so I'm positive the engine was slowly broken in.

BillP
05-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Breakin was standard fair i guess.
No heavy accelerations. No speeds above 80, no Revs past 3500RPM, etc.

The breakin process was actually 'handled' by a relative who is a real lightfoot so I'm positive the engine was slowly broken in.

Break-in is largely intended to seat the oil rings and that would create blue smoke if they went bad, not white. There is nothing in the break-in process for the head gasket.

Bill

Ågent99
05-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Check your oil, too. Usually, if you have water in the oil, it will tend to make it kind of white-ish/milky like color.

I had water in the oil of an old Pontiac engine I was working on and the oil came out white, thick and milky but this was a serious water leak in the oil...not a drip or two.

E60orBust
05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Took it for a drive today to get some grocieries and no smoke came out when starting, none whatsoever.

Also, my statement for 2000 mile motor was a guestimate becaue this is one of 3 recent vehicles we have (other a 03 330XI and a 05 jeep grand cherokee limited) So I had my miles all messed up. The 545i only has 700 some miles on it :rofl: my fault.

Either way the smoke hasn't returned except for two occassions which were after a long sit and after thinking about it for a while, both times were after I detailed it and then parked it in the garage so some of my hose water could have shot in the exhaust tips and condensed.

Edit: After looking at the locations of the users who have responded (thanks btw), are most people on this board located on the west coast/california?

Ågent99
05-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Edit: After looking at the locations of the users who have responded (thanks btw), are most people on this board located on the west coast/california?
There are quite a few on the west coast but 'Fest members are spread throughout the world. We have a fair number in Europe/Canada as well and I've seen some South Africa and even Saudi Arabia, too! :)