PDA

View Full Version : Interior trim replacement - sweet!

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Yep, I've had it 2 days and I'm already tearing stuff out. :) I thought I'd post about trim replacement, in case anyone else was thinking about it. I'm not trying to bag on the wood or aluminum -- they're just not my style. Neither is the "matte titanium" (which is really plastic painted with a metallic gray), but it's the one I prefer.

So, I ordered the matte titanium trim kit thru Pacific BMW. They were great. Super-responsive, and even though some of the parts had to come from Germany, I think I had everything at my door in about a week. Price came to $160 including tax & shipping for all 5 parts. The quote from my local stealer was $800 (no joke). I inquired about the pricing, asking for part numbers to make sure we were talking about the same thing. They never responded.

So far, I've only done the door handles. They pop off with some prying, but make sure you have "BMW Tool 00 9 317" like the instructions say. I found that a hard plastic Cuisinart spatula worked quite nicely. Someone on eBay wrote some instructions using a screwdriver, but I'd want to use a material that is softer than the door handles and trim and won't scratch. I started prying at the bottom, then did the top. They pop off quite suddenly and forcefully, so careful that you don't drop the piece when it finally comes off. To put the new ones on, start at the bottom. Make sure the tang on the bottom of the trim is aligned with the bottom lip on the door handle, and pop in the first two bottom center clips first. Then make sure that the alignment post on the top is placed inside the door. Work your way up, bottom to top, pressing firmly to snap the center clips in and the smaller clips on each side evenly. That's it! Pictures are below. I was pretty timid on the first handle, but after doing 2, it takes about 5 minutes each for the full replacement.

Tomorrow or Tuesday, the center console!

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Of the back of the trim pieces and before & after shots. Sorry, it's a little dark in the garage.

dkl
05-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Very NICE! :thumbup: The new trim does look 1000% better than the woody trim. Excellent work :thumbup:

alpinewhite325i
05-09-2005, 03:20 AM
Much better...looks very clean.

wingrove
05-09-2005, 03:42 AM
thanks for that, keep us posted with the centre console!
jas

iChick
05-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Hmmm. That is looking pretty sweet. I might have to copy you again. Got the altoids handy I see!

B r i a n
05-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks great pictures - awsome - :) Very nice look

mysticbluex3
05-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Besides the 4 door handles, did you swap out the trim around the shifter? I wish BMW offered the cube design like on the 05' 3 series. Those look so much better than the ovals IMO.

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
The bf thinks I'm crazy, but he already knew that. I'd like to point out that I am in no way a trained professional, so you'll be crazy too if you follow these instructions. You have to take apart pretty much the entire center section. It took 2 hours, if I were to do it again, it'd probably take an hour. Don't be discouraged, if a chick can do it, you can too! ;)

There are 2-3 tools you need: a large (#2ish) phillips screwdriver, your handy Cuisinart spatula (BMW tool 00 9 317), and one hard plastic prying tool. There was a bit of serendipity today -- my ProClip that will hold my iPod came today. It was about $30 and allows you to mount an iPod (or other device, cellphone, etc) without drilling any holes in your dash. It came with a very handy black plastic prying tool which is pictured below. I had to be a little careful, because it is a pretty hard plastic and will scratch if you really dig it into something.

I have to post this in 3 parts so that I can upload the pics I took. I hope I'm not using up too much bandwidth -- I saved low res versions of the pics, if you'd like one or two in higher res, just email me. I'll set up my profile to accept emails (don't want to get spammed by putting my address in this text).

The shifter/center console trim is the same whether your car is an automatic or manual. The instructions will be pretty much the same for an auto. These instructions will also be pretty helpful if you're planning on doing an CD player head unit replacement or self install of mp3 player cables (BMW iPod or ice>link).

1: Pop out your shifter boot frame. Push in the right and left sides, pull up gently, and it should pop out. You don't have to take off your shifter knob, I didn't.
2: Unscrew the two screws at under the top of the shifter boot. In the picture below, the left one is already out.
3: Pop out the two clips under the bottom of the shifter boot (second pic below). You can pry with a screwdriver (careful not to push against the edge of the trim) or pull out with some pliers.
4: Pop out your hazard/door lock button assembly. Pry gently from the bottom of the door lock button with the handy black plastic tool, or similar object. (In retrospect, I'm not sure this is necessary, but my instructions said to do it).
5: Pry out your vent panel. I found the Cuisinart spatula to be a better tool here. Insert under the bottom right edge of the vent panel and gently pry out. Do the same at the bottom left. Pull out the vent panel most of the way, revealing the top 2 screws for your climate control/CD player panel.
6: Unscrew the top right and left screws for the climate control/CD player panel. They're a little short, so be careful that you don't drop them into the center hole, they'll never be seen again (but probably to be heard, rattling around!)
7: Pop out the panel by prying gently with black tool or spatula under bottom right edge of black climate control panel. You don't have to undo any of the electrical connections in the back, and you don't have to take out the head unit. Although you'll be in a perfect position to do so at this point.

Continued in next post with more pics.

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
8: Now you should be able to see the top two screws for the shifter trim. I taped all the other hanging pieces out of the way with some blue masking tape (doesn't leave residue like the beige stuff)
9: Unscrew the the two top screws.
10: Pull the panel out gently, there are short wires connecting it. Make a note that the copper-colored wire with bare metal terminal connector on your 12V outlet is toward the passenger side. The connectors are pictured below, this one is kind of hidden. The one covered with white plastic is toward the driver (US, man, I assume it's reversed if you're in the UK). Both of these simply pull out. So does another little 2-pin black connector in that same vicinity. This goes to the red LED inside the ashtray. Finally, pull out the big main connector (going to everything by the DSC OFF button), making sure to push in the ears on either side while pulling back.
11: Your shifter trim piece should now be free, pull it out!

The matte titanium center trim piece is shown below, as it is delivered (without a few modules you have to transfer). The wood trim is also shown, right after it was pulled out.

climrgrl
05-09-2005, 11:01 PM
12: Transfer the DSC piece to the new trim. It's held in by two aluminum clips on the right and left. Push them in and push the DSC piece out. It easily snaps into the new piece, pictured below.
13: Transfer the LED to the new trim. It's shown in the center of the second picture. Getting it out was a little tricky because it was a tight spot. I used a small screwdriver to push in the tab on one side, and my finger for the other. Wiggle it gently backwards (towards the 12V outlet) and it will pop out. Pop it into the new trim.
14: Transfer the cigarette lighter to the new trim.
15: Put everything back! Put the electrical connectors on the new trim, careful of the polarity on that 12V outlet! Screw in the 4 screws first, pushing up at the bottom of the shifter trim piece so that it aligns properly and there is no gap. Then pop the clips back on. Pop the shifter boot back in.
16: Pop the climate/CD player trim back into place. Screw down at the top.
17: Pop the vents back in and pop in the hazard/door lock button assembly.
18: Enjoy!

Rob V
05-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Wow, thanks for the Play-by-Play :thumbup: . I probably already know the answer to this question but it the Titanium kit that you installed actually metal or is it just plastic made to look like metal. Also, is there a gloss coat on it? I've seen some metal trim on an M3 that had no coating on it and you could feel the rought texture of the metal. Kind of cool actually.

climrgrl
05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the Play-by-Play :thumbup: . I probably already know the answer to this question but it the Titanium kit that you installed actually metal or is it just plastic made to look like metal. Also, is there a gloss coat on it? I've seen some metal trim on an M3 that had no coating on it and you could feel the rought texture of the metal. Kind of cool actually.

No, it's just plastic which has been made to look like metal. Whatever process they use seems to be better than your typical spray-paint -- I tried scratching the back of the piece hard with a fingernail, and there was no mark. No gloss either which means no smudgy-looking fingerprints! It's pretty much identical to the shifter knob (I think all X3's come with the same metallic-looking one?), except that the shifter knob is glossy. There's a little bit of a rough texture, but of course it feels like plastic, not metal.

I think either a plain brushed aluminum trim or a matte chrome one that matches the 2005 door handles would be super-nice. The door handles actually feel like metal to me and look nice with all the interior upholstery colors.

B r i a n
05-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Awsome Directions and pictures!!!! :thumbup:
I ended up installing my Icelink plus in the drivers armrest, I drilled a hole in the black plastic compartment for the cable (with a rubber grommet) and used velcro on the Icelink plus cradel and left a few feet of cable coiled up in it.
That way it is out of site, but if i do need to look at the screen - looking up play lists, a passenger or I can lift it out of the armrest in the cradle and view while running.

I learned that seeing the screen of the ipod is not needed very often.
Since Icelink Plus uses the regular audio controls, and you can enable "BMW text".
Enjoy and congratulations, it looks great!

wingrove
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
would love to do the same Brian but just cant get an ice link for love or money. I live in OZ and densions's site will not sell to overseas nor will best buy and the other online resellers are out of stock. very frustrating. The only reseller in sydney said they have had the license to sell Icelinks for ages, have 200 people on their backorder lists an simply cant get one out of dension. aargh.
jas

climrgrl
05-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I have the icelink kit for a behind-the-head-unit install. Although I'm now thinking that maybe the armrest one like you did, Brian, would have been better. I figured that I could have the iPod accessible for a little while, clipped to the center console area, then stow it in the glove box after I'm used to the interface. Last night while I had everything apart I looked for a good spot to route the wires to the glove box area and didn't see anything obvious. I didn't look real hard though, and I think I'll just have to do some forum searching. I'm sure that other people have already done this.

Paul in SF
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey Climrgrl! How much would you charge to do that to my X3?!?

B r i a n
05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Attached are some pictures of my Ice Link Plus install in the arm rest.
I have had it like this for about three weeks - I really like it there.
It is out of the way, but easy to get to, if need. Also easy to remove from the car when I want to update play lists.
I didn't have to worry about routing cables because the CD changer cables are right below the armrest. Only took me an hour or two to install. Purchased rubber gromets at radio shack.
I was concerned about the velcro keeping the IPOD and cradle secure, I purchased the "heavy duty" stuff at Home depot - works great, has never bounced out.
I really like the silver trim, but agree would be very nice if it was a matte chrome that matches the 2005 door handles. May be next years options will include it.

climrgrl
05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Climrgrl! How much would you charge to do that to my X3?!?

LOL! I don't know...I've never seen a 1995 X3! ;)
(check your "Mein Auto" in your User CP)

Ok, all seriousness, I don't think I'd feel comfortable prying someone else's interior apart. I'd feel REALLY bad if I scratched or broke something. Remember, I am NOT a trained professional! I'm just an obsessive hack with a Cuisinart spatula!

climrgrl
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Attached are some pictures of my Ice Link Plus install in the arm rest.
I have had it like this for about three weeks - I really like it there.
It is out of the way, but easy to get to, if need. Also easy to remove from the car when I want to update play lists.
I didn't have to worry about routing cables because the CD changer cables are right below the armrest. Only took me an hour or two to install. Purchased rubber gromets at radio shack.
I was concerned about the velcro keeping the IPOD and cradle secure, I purchased the "heavy duty" stuff at Home depot - works great, has never bounced out.
I really like the silver trim, but agree would be very nice if it was a matte chrome that matches the 2005 door handles. May be next years options will include it.

That does look like a good spot. I might have to break down and see if they'll sell me just the cable -- was that the I20_BMW_T kit that they sell at Best Buy?

B r i a n
05-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I purchased it right before they started showing up at best buy, I ordered it directly from the Denison web site, it was listed as:

I20_BMW ice>Link Plus for BMW (not for iDrive) 1 $199.00 $199.00
ipod_verison: 4th_gen_20_848617

I originally requested the direct cable and connector type (no cradle), but they said it was back ordered and would be at least a few weeks, so I went with the cradle.
If I did go with the direct cable I would have had to put velcro directly on the IPOD, but it would take less space in the armrest. tradeoffs...

echelon153
05-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Sweet job :thumbup: I've always been partial to metal than wood look except the wife prefers the wood so there goes that idea :)

carlos
05-11-2005, 11:07 AM
would you sell the wood trim kit?! lets make a deal! (please!)

my car came with the dull unpainted grey trim.

PM or email me at : sunrack@gmail.com

thanks!

climrgrl
05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
For those with more "discriminating" taste, you can get a silver carbon fiber trim kit from AC Schnitzer. For the same 5 pieces it's a mere $2287. :yikes: Do you think that comes with a free supercharger or something? :eek:

Picture (at bottom):
http://www.cecwheels.com/tuners/products.sd?iid=123&type=wheels&modelId=&categoryId=43&tuner_brand_id=3
Catalog:
http://www.cecwheels.com/images/medialibrary/acs_e83x3_price_guide.pdf

B r i a n
05-12-2005, 09:44 PM
At least the $471 floor mats

wingrove
05-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks for those great pics too B r ia n!,
Its a bummer living on the other side of the world sometimes. Not only dont densions site sell overseas but a dozen other online sites including Best buy dont sell to overseas either. The local australian reseller (who i presume all the other sites are protecting) has a back order list of 200 people and has never had an ontime or complete order from dension yet! very frustrating situation. Dension says buy from our ozzy distributor yet they cant get anything out of dension!

Rant over :-)
jas

Ossie
05-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Who are Pacific BMW? Was the trim replacement original BMW or aftermarket. I am looking to replace the woodtrim in my sons 330Ci
Ossie

climrgrl
05-15-2005, 10:56 PM
You can find them at www.pacificbmw.com. They're a BMW dealer with a very good parts department that is actually interested in selling you pieces/parts/upgrades. Some dealers just aren't very helpful in that respect, no idea why. Oh well, their loss as my money will go elsewhere.

Yes, it was BMW OEM original trim -- exactly what you can order with the 2.5i version of the X3.

mrbelk
06-04-2005, 03:04 PM
So far, I've only done the door handles. They pop off with some prying, but make sure you have "BMW Tool 00 9 317" like the instructions say. I found that a hard plastic Cuisinart spatula worked quite nicely.

That Cuisinart Spatula worked like a charm! I just installed the SIRIUS receiver in my wife's new X3 (well, not exactly new, we picked it up in Munchen and just got it back on Thursday). The spatula made quick work of removing the AC vents and AC control panel.

-MrB

tromar1
06-05-2005, 11:40 PM
You can find them at www.pacificbmw.com. They're a BMW dealer with a very good parts department that is actually interested in selling you pieces/parts/upgrades. Some dealers just aren't very helpful in that respect, no idea why. Oh well, their loss as my money will go elsewhere.

Yes, it was BMW OEM original trim -- exactly what you can order with the 2.5i version of the X3.
Hello Climrgrl: I live in NJ...do you think Pacific would ship? Also, I didn't see the part on the website. Incidentally, you are so correct about dealership pricing on the parts you mentioned. I just priced the itmes at my dealership on Thursday (6/2/05) and the center console you referenced was $280, the door handles were $101 each...a ***ping total of $684, not including 6% tax. They noted that it was back-ordered. Now i'm glad it wasn't in stock.

Any info on pedals (gas, brakes, and foot rest)?

mrbelk
06-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Hello Climrgrl: I live in NJ...do you think Pacific would ship? Also, I didn't see the part on the website. Incidentally, you are so correct about dealership pricing on the parts you mentioned. I just priced the itmes at my dealership on Thursday (6/2/05) and the center console you referenced was $280, the door handles were $101 each...a ***ping total of $684, not including 6% tax. They noted that it was back-ordered. Now i'm glad it wasn't in stock.

Any info on pedals (gas, brakes, and foot rest)?

From NJ, you could try CircleBMW (www.circlebmw.com). They're another _very_ friendly mail-order DIY parts department.. I've bought tons of stuff from them. Prices are usually 60% of what they are locally.

-MrB

climrgrl
06-06-2005, 11:33 AM
If Circle doesn't work out, I'm sure Pacific BMW would ship to you -- they shipped to me, so it shouldn't make a difference. The parts aren't on their website, they looked them up for me. I just emailed the part department and got very good feedback & responses.

Yeah, I had a little post-customer satisfaction survey talk with my local dealer. I didn't talk to the same person who quoted me on the trim, but they claimed there was a misunderstanding and that they thought I wanted the aluminum trim. So, either they're lying, or they're really stupid and can't read a very clear email stating "matte titanium trim from the 2.5i, not aluminum trim with dots from the 3.0i." Not to mention that I talked about the trim with them several times and would have just ordered the 3.0 with the aluminum if I wanted it! Lame. Much easier to just go to a dealer who is interested in selling you parts and will work with you.

I haven't really looked into pedals, though I've seen that Hamann makes some aftermarket aluminum ones.

tromar1
06-06-2005, 07:34 PM
If Circle doesn't work out, I'm sure Pacific BMW would ship to you -- they shipped to me, so it shouldn't make a difference. The parts aren't on their website, they looked them up for me. I just emailed the part department and got very good feedback & responses.

Yeah, I had a little post-customer satisfaction survey talk with my local dealer. I didn't talk to the same person who quoted me on the trim, but they claimed there was a misunderstanding and that they thought I wanted the aluminum trim. So, either they're lying, or they're really stupid and can't read a very clear email stating "matte titanium trim from the 2.5i, not aluminum trim with dots from the 3.0i." Not to mention that I talked about the trim with them several times and would have just ordered the 3.0 with the aluminum if I wanted it! Lame. Much easier to just go to a dealer who is interested in selling you parts and will work with you.

I haven't really looked into pedals, though I've seen that Hamann makes some aftermarket aluminum ones.
Thanks guys... Circle took my number and said they'd call back. Still waiting. Pacific seemed confused about the difference between Matte Tit & Alum finished. They were friendly and helpful regarding my other needs. I placed an order for 2 headrest and shifter knob, the trim was back ordered. After giving credit card #, they said they don't ship headrest. Now i'm waiting to see if Circle call me.

I am such a retard. I just had monitors installed in my headrest, now I want different monitors that swivel. My wife is gonna kill me.

climrgrl
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I just realized that I didn't post the part numbers for the trim -- here they are. This should clear up any confusion on matte titanium vs. aluminum. The person I dealt with at Pacific BMW was Loren Wong and he was great. You could try calling and asking for him.

51 45 3 415 325 - center console matte titanium trim - $95.77
51 41 3 415 539 - driver side door handle trim - $9.45 each x 2 (front and rear) = $18.90
51 41 3 415 540 - passenger side door handle trim - $9.45 each x 2 (front and rear) = $18.90

Most of the pieces were not in stock for me either, but they were in stock in Germany. I got the parts surprisingly quickly, it took maybe a week for them to go from Germany to Pacific BMW to me.

tromar1
06-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Yep, I've had it 2 days and I'm already tearing stuff out. :) I thought I'd post about trim replacement, in case anyone else was thinking about it. I'm not trying to bag on the wood or aluminum -- they're just not my style. Neither is the "matte titanium" (which is really plastic painted with a metallic gray), but it's the one I prefer.

So, I ordered the matte titanium trim kit thru Pacific BMW. They were great. Super-responsive, and even though some of the parts had to come from Germany, I think I had everything at my door in about a week. Price came to $160 including tax & shipping for all 5 parts. The quote from my local stealer was $800 (no joke). I inquired about the pricing, asking for part numbers to make sure we were talking about the same thing. They never responded.

So far, I've only done the door handles. They pop off with some prying, but make sure you have "BMW Tool 00 9 317" like the instructions say. I found that a hard plastic Cuisinart spatula worked quite nicely. Someone on eBay wrote some instructions using a screwdriver, but I'd want to use a material that is softer than the door handles and trim and won't scratch. I started prying at the bottom, then did the top. They pop off quite suddenly and forcefully, so careful that you don't drop the piece when it finally comes off. To put the new ones on, start at the bottom. Make sure the tang on the bottom of the trim is aligned with the bottom lip on the door handle, and pop in the first two bottom center clips first. Then make sure that the alignment post on the top is placed inside the door. Work your way up, bottom to top, pressing firmly to snap the center clips in and the smaller clips on each side evenly. That's it! Pictures are below. I was pretty timid on the first handle, but after doing 2, it takes about 5 minutes each for the full replacement.

Tomorrow or Tuesday, the center console!
You are too funny. I finally clicked on the picture to enlare and notice that your BMW tool 00 9 317 is actually labled as such.

USCTrojan4JC
06-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi, everyone! climrgrl did an AWESOME job, didn't she?!

This is Loren from Pacific BMW. I don't work in the parts department anymore. I'm a warranty administrator in the service department now (since Mid May 2005 actually). The guys working the mail order section of our parts department right now are n00bs for the most part except Edward. So if you need OEM parts, he's your man!

climrgrl, I never received your original e-mail. I'm guessing our company's e-mail filters screened it out or something like that. I saw the one you sent Saturday morning in my inbox at work this morning. Thanks!

You did an AWESOME job not only installing the parts, but creating a write-up as well! :thumbup: You are definitely a lot more brave removing interior trim on your X3 than I would be on my own personal vehicle. You're quite a resourceful one as well...I love the makeshift tool you created out of your spatula! Take care and I hope I'll have the pleasure of meeting you and some of the other wonderful customers I had while I was working in the parts department one of these days at a meet or something.

Now I'm just curious if you're going to do any headlight baking anytime soon! :)

God bless,
Loren

tromar1
06-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi, everyone! climrgrl did an AWESOME job, didn't she?!

This is Loren from Pacific BMW. I don't work in the parts department anymore. I'm a warranty administrator in the service department now (since Mid May 2005 actually). The guys working the mail order section of our parts department right now are n00bs for the most part except Edward. So if you need OEM parts, he's your man!

climrgrl, I never received your original e-mail. I'm guessing our company's e-mail filters screened it out or something like that. I saw the one you sent Saturday morning in my inbox at work this morning. Thanks!

You did an AWESOME job not only installing the parts, but creating a write-up as well! :thumbup: You are definitely a lot more brave removing interior trim on your X3 than I would be on my own personal vehicle. You're quite a resourceful one as well...I love the makeshift tool you created out of your spatula! Take care and I hope I'll have the pleasure of meeting you and some of the other wonderful customers I had while I was working in the parts department one of these days at a meet or something.

Now I'm just curious if you're going to do any headlight baking anytime soon! :)

God bless,
Loren
Yes she did... I'm acutually waiting for Pacific to send my parts...When it arrives, i'll be following her very detailed instructions and hopefully my wife will allow me to use BMW tool 00 9 317. Thanks to Climrgrl.

Loren: Maybe you could get Ed to look into my order. Also, why wouldn't they ship headrest?

EuroRocket
06-27-2005, 11:15 PM
i wonder why BMW doesnt use torx screws? there are harder to srip. but wow the interior looks way different

fu98
06-28-2005, 08:11 PM
nice job.. now if i can just get that bmw tool...

jetcopter
02-06-2009, 07:18 AM
If anyone is interested I have all these parts brand new and need to sell them. Take a look here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3900486#post3900486)