PDA

View Full Version : Ordering an X3

Lori
05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone,
I've decided to order an X3 as my daily driver and would appreciate some opinions. I have PDC on my M3 and I like it. Do you think it's worth it on the X3? Also, is the 18" y-spoke wheel upgrade option a noticeable performance enhancement or is the sport package good enough? Thanks for your help.
-Lori

Rob V
05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
My X3 is still about 4-5 weeks from delivery but I think I can at least give my 2-cents worth here. I would think that the PDC would be just as valuable in the X3 as in your M3. Probably more so because I think there is some limitted visability out of the rear windows on the X3.

As for the 18" Y-Spoke wheels, the consensus seems to be that they really do help the grip. But keep in mind that they only come with the Sport Package which has the much tighter suspension. Which means that although the perfomance is much better...the ride is much worse. Most will tell you that the standard non-sport suspension is good enough for everyday heavy footed driving but if you really like to push the limits in the corners then you will need the Sport Package. Just make sure you have enough "junk in yo trunk" to help soften the ride. :rofl:

JG
05-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone,
I've decided to order an X3 as my daily driver and would appreciate some opinions. I have PDC on my M3 and I like it. Do you think it's worth it on the X3?
-Lori

PDC is worth it - the rear outward view is not bad but it's not the greatest and PDC more than makes up for it.

I don't know about your M but on the X3 it is front and rear. It is automatic in reverse - but you need to click it on, in forward.

Lori
05-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks, I ordered PDC and sport package without the wheel upgrade. I like the look of the regular sport package wheels and the all season tires seem more appropriate on an X3.

Caesar
05-09-2005, 01:41 PM
PDC is worth it - the rear outward view is not bad but it's not the greatest and PDC more than makes up for it.

I don't know about your M but on the X3 it is front and rear. It is automatic in reverse - but you need to click it on, in forward.

What is a "PDC"?

Rob V
05-09-2005, 02:13 PM
What is a "PDC"?

Park Distance Control. It warns you when your bumpers are about to make contact with something.

Lori:
Did understand you correctly? You ordered the Sport Package withoout the 18" wheels? Essentially what that does is give you the sport seats and suspension, right?

Edit: Nevermind, I re-read your post and realized that you didn't upgrade the wheels to the Y-Spoke but still got the Sport Package wheels. I thought you had just stuck with the 17" wheels.

SabreXray
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
What is a "PDC"?
Its the SONAR (radar?) that gives audio clicks to indicate distance to objects in front of or behind the car while parking.

I thought it annoying. It would go off for no apparent reason when I was backing up. I would brake hard look around wait for it to stop and then finish backing up. It scared me pretty good several times. Not sure if it was just the rental vehicle I had or a common problem.

I did love the navigation. Don't think its worth $1800 though.

JP

Lori
05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Park Distance Control. It warns you when your bumpers are about to make contact with something.

Lori:
Did understand you correctly? You ordered the Sport Package withoout the 18" wheels? Essentially what that does is give you the sport seats and suspension, right?

I ordered the sport package in it's entirety but I opted out of the $500 y-spoke wheel upgrade. I'm happy with the wheels that come on the sport package.

SabreXray
05-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I've decided to order an X3 as my daily driver and would appreciate some opinions. I have PDC on my M3 and I like it. Do you think it's worth it on the X3? Also, is the 18" y-spoke wheel upgrade option a noticeable performance enhancement or is the sport package good enough? Thanks for your help.
-Lori
The 18" wheels remove the electronic speed limiter (they are V rated tires, good for speeds upto 149 mph, the standard wheels are H rated to 129 mph which is why the limiter is set for 130). The top speed for the X3 3.0i with the 18" wheels is listed as 137 mph. Not worth the trouble unless you live in Germany and can drive the autobahns, and 7 mph isn't much. My Grand Prix tops out over 150 and I rarely go over 130 anyway.

JP

JG
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I thought it annoying. It would go off for no apparent reason when I was backing up. I would brake hard look around wait for it to stop and then finish backing up. It scared me pretty good several times.
JP

It would be anoying if you didn't know what it was!

I wouldn't have ordered PDC or the heated steering wheel - except there was a vehicle available that had everything else I wanted. Having used them I would order both on my next vehicle.

PDC doesn't replace standard backing up procedures - but it lets you know exactly where objects are in front, rear and somewhat to the sides of the front and rear. There are 8 sensors total - 4 front - 4 back. PDC beeps - speeds up the beeps, and finally makes a solid tone when you are within 30cm (1 ft.) of any object.

You just need to remember that the front senors need to be switched on. The rears are automatic when in reverse.

It's handy shoe horning my vehicle into my far too crowded garage.

JG
05-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks, I ordered PDC and sport package without the wheel upgrade. I like the look of the regular sport package wheels and the all season tires seem more appropriate on an X3.

The sports package is very nice - I sometimes wish I had ordered it. The steering wheel is great. The all-seasons are not that 'all season' for my climate (I might end up putting on snows) - but they should be more than fine for Virginia. They seem slightly more geared to performance than snow. Mine are very good in the wet.

If you are used to an M3 - the package you ordered should more than please you.

Lori
05-09-2005, 08:17 PM
This will be my daily driver so I want an affordable well rounded vehicle that is safe in the rain, can easily carry passengers and cargo and performs well on the highway. I think I chose well. The X3 will be replacing the Rubicon. :cry: I have really enjoyed the Jeep but something has to make way for practicality. The M3 stays.

SabreXray
05-10-2005, 12:52 AM
It would be anoying if you didn't know what it was!

I knew what it was. There was nothing behind me to cause the tone yet it would go off "for no appearant reason" several times while I was backing up. Thinking I was about to hit something and panic stopping when it turned out that there was absolutly nothing behind me annoyed the hell out of me. Maybe the one I had was defective I don't know but it was a brand new SAV (less than 100 miles on it) when I picked it up.

It was fun to test it out in the parking lot. I was purposely driving up on stuff to hear the tones. I got my wife the first time she was backing with me outside the vehicle. I jumped in front (behind) her and she was like " wtf is that?"