PDA

View Full Version : Servotronic or not Servotronic that is the question

Steveo8998
05-10-2005, 12:07 AM
I am currently in the process of purchasing my first Bmw ever! but i have one main question that i am very un sure about. Which is the better choice Servotronic Steering ($250) or just the regular steering? Does it take away from the all famous BMW driving? or does it actually help and make things fun and easyer?:dunno:

Thanks alot with your Input.

~Steve-O~

bim530mer
05-10-2005, 04:33 AM
I am currently in the process of purchasing my first Bmw ever! but i have one main question that i am very un sure about. Which is the better choice Servotronic Steering ($250) or just the regular steering? Does it take away from the all famous BMW driving? or does it actually help and make things fun and easyer?:dunno:

Thanks alot with your Input.

~Steve-O~

I have a 2003 530 with servotronic.. Just for your info servotronic does not mean you get ol'chevy lock-to-lock wheel with one finger... no...

I drove the non-servo and feels relatively heavy... but if you consider long straight-line commutes then I would go with non-servo as the lightness adds to "less stable" for me... you would feel the steering reacting to everything on the road surface and jumping right and left... the feeling of servo getting heavier with speed is not noticeable... best recommendation is to try it...

MPoWeRMAN
05-10-2005, 06:10 AM
I love the servotronic on my X3, drove a friends without it, and what a difference, it makes it handle so well in a parking lot, and at low speeds, I'd say get it

Steveo8998
05-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Do you think the Servotronic Steering will throw off the Adaptive Headlights, causeing them not to swivel as much as it would have been on the same turn without Servotronic? Sorry for the questions, but my dealer doesn't have any that I can drive to check these out. Thanks :p

~Steve-O~

bim530mer
05-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Do you think the Servotronic Steering will throw off the Adaptive Headlights, causeing them not to swivel as much as it would have been on the same turn without Servotronic? Sorry for the questions, but my dealer doesn't have any that I can drive to check these out. Thanks :p

~Steve-O~
Together with my previous reply I agree with WERMAN on the parking lot though I don't drive there a lot .. beside get some good muscles over your shoulder and you are alright :rofl:

But with adaptive headlight... what would make a diff in swivelling...?

Rob V
05-11-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm coming from an LR Freelander which has VERY heavy steering. I've actually come to like it because it adds to the "solidness" of the car so I decided not to get the Servo steering. I think steering that is too soft dsconnects you from the road. But if you're coming from a vehicle with very light steering then the X3 might feel too heavy to you without Servo. I guess it's nice if you have it, not a big deal if you don't. I haven't heard anyone complaing because they don't have it. :dunno:

pipo
05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Haven't driven the servotronic, but I love the feel of the standard X3 steering. I never considered getting it.

x3man
05-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Do you think the Servotronic Steering will throw off the Adaptive Headlights, causeing them not to swivel as much as it would have been on the same turn without Servotronic?

The servotronic is superb. I think my X3 with servotronic has better steering than my M3 sedan! It works well with the adaptive headlights which my X3 also has. Don't worry. For $250, it's a great deal. Go for it.

Expressx
05-14-2005, 08:46 PM
The servotronic is superb. I think my X3 with servotronic has better steering than my M3 sedan! It works well with the adaptive headlights which my X3 also has. Don't worry. For $250, it's a great deal. Go for it.

I've got servotronic on my X5...outstanding, I really dont feel any less connected to the road/truck at speed. During parking for example its a nice touch, fun and easier -yes :thumbup:

SpeedFreak!
05-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I have 05 X5 w/ Servo... If your going to get 4.8iS size wheels, get it for sure. With all due respect... if your kinda weak on the steering strength... especially in a parking lot (I have found some people to get tired when steering a BMW in a parking lot - don't laugh... Im sure you must know someone in that kind of condition) so I'm just saying Servo would be good if you need help. But if your going to be leaving the wheels/tires the same... DON'T DO ServoTronic... the natural BMW feel is better. Servotronic totally destroys the BMW feel unless huge wheels and tires (like the 4.8) are being used. That's just my opinion. I have and can drive as often as I like all configurations and only got it because I'm going to put huge wheels and tires on it. I think non 4.8 size... it sucks for sure!!! I've driven the 4.8iS a bunch of times over the last week... Servotronic rocks with that set-up all day long. Good luck with your decision.

Steveo8998
05-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks alot. haha Im kind of a Skinny White guy so I went ahead and purchased the Servotronic steering. :) hopefully it wont take away too much from the BMW feel. I'll tell you later if it was the right choice or not when it comes in.
I got the Black Saphire X3 3.0i Beige Leather with Adaptive Headlights, Servotronic Steering,and Premium Sound! i can't wait to get it :D

~Steve-O~