PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Dial

x3man
05-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Can someone explain how the serrated dial on the wiper works? I couldn't find a clear explanation in the manual. There are two horizontal roman numerals (I and II) on the dial. I think it is for setting the sensitivity of the rain sensor but it doesn't say what setting is more sensitive and which is less, etc... Also, is there a way to speed up the rear wiper?

jliu34740
05-10-2005, 11:41 PM
II = intermittent (regular interval but slower)
I = rain sensing (comes on whenever sensor detects rain)

No way to speed up rear wiper that I know of.

Personally I think rain sensing wiper is too sensitive, I prefer the intermittent setting on my wife's honda.

b-y
05-11-2005, 12:37 AM
II = intermittent (regular interval but slower)
I = rain sensing (comes on whenever sensor detects rain)
I don't think that is quite right. If you have the rain sensor, there is no "intermittent" setting as such. The dial sets the sensitivity--see page 42 of the owner's manual (for MY2004). One additional point--if you leave wiper contol in "position 1" with the rain sensor on and then start the car, you first need to either move the stalk to another position and back or change the sensitivity on the dial to start the wipers.

Caesar
05-11-2005, 04:57 AM
I don't think that is quite right. If you have the rain sensor, there is no "intermittent" setting as such. The dial sets the sensitivity--see page 42 of the owner's manual (for MY2004). One additional point--if you leave wiper contol in "position 1" with the rain sensor on and then start the car, you first need to either move the stalk to another position and back or change the sensitivity on the dial to start the wipers.

Correct. The other poster is wrong. There is no set intermittent with the rain sensing.

The dial on the stalk effects the sensitivity -- but I couldn't tell a difference. Its subtle I guess.

I assume II is more sensitive (i.e, faster/ more often) -- while I is less sensitive.

harplayr
05-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Correct. The other poster is wrong. There is no set intermittent with the rain sensing.

The dial on the stalk effects the sensitivity -- but I couldn't tell a difference. Its subtle I guess.

I assume II is more sensitive (i.e, faster/ more often) -- while I is less sensitive.
It's the same on mine. I notice no difference in sensitivity between position 1, 2 or 3. I just use it to trigger a wipe when the rain sensor doesn't react fast enough.

The wipe rate adjustment is explained in the manual for the rear wiper. It is adjustable, but it is kind of complicated.

jdeday
05-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I have noticed a difference in the sensitivity of the wiper when I change the dial. Try adjusting it in a very light rain, you will see a difference.

Jeff

stevenw66
05-13-2005, 08:08 AM
The X3 manual describes a fairly compliated process for adjusting the speed of the rear wiper. I do not remember the deatils but I know there is a method.