PDA

View Full Version : Temp Knob above vents

marcusinfl
05-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Can anyone explain the temperature know above the middle vents? The dealer does not know how they are supposed to be used and the manual was not clear. Why would you want / need to control the temperature there when I have digital climate control?

Rob V
05-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person who is also clueless abuot that knob. If you cool off or heat up the air coming out of those vents then wont the Auto AC compensate the for temperature change? I don't get it.

BahnBaum
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
This has been discussed ad nauseous, if you wanted to use the search function.

Here's the first one I came to:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56532&highlight=temp+knob

Alex

Rob V
05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Cool! I didn't even think of using the search for something this silly. I've avoided started many threads by finding what I was looking for by searching first but didn't think to do it for this subject. I just figtured I'd find out for myself when my X3 was delivered.

pipo
05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Can anyone explain the temperature know above the middle vents? The dealer does not know how they are supposed to be used and the manual was not clear. Why would you want / need to control the temperature there when I have digital climate control?

Your dealer sounds close to worthless if they can't explain a simple function like the temperature control wheel. Basically, you use the climate control system to set the cabin temperature that you want, and use the control wheel to micro manage the temperature for the front seat occupants.

So, for example, if you have your climate control system set to 68, and the sun is beating down into the front seat area, you might want to turn the wheel all the way to the three blue dots to maximize the cooling effect in that area. If, on the other hand, it's a cool night and you'd rather get a little extra heat up front, you'd turn the wheel all the way to the three red dots.

A good analogy would be a central heating system at home. If you set your thermostat to 68, the approximate room temperature will be 68, but if the spot you're sitting in is either cooler or warmer, you could use a space heater to warm you up or a mini-AC to cool you down (less common, but you get the picture). The temperature control wheel is like a space heater/cooler for the front seat area.

Rob V
05-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Your dealer sounds close to worthless if they can't explain a simple function like the temperature control wheel. Basically, you use the climate control system to set the cabin temperature that you want, and use the control wheel to micro manage the temperature for the front seat occupants.

Wow, best explanation yet. Honestly, that cleared it up for me light a light bulb going off. Thanks. :thumbup:

rrinker
05-12-2005, 08:46 PM
But remember, the dial only control the 4 dash vents.

Two good uses: On a cool night (so you have heat on), turn it somewhere other than 3 red dots, since blowing warm air in your face tends to make one drowsy. You feet will still be nice and warm.

Hot day, AC blasting away - short of closing the vents entirely, you always end up with cold air blasting on your hands - just turn the dial somewhere other than 3 blue dots so the air blowing out is cool, but not freezing.

This feature goes WAY back on BMW's. They just sometimes do it with a horizontal dial, and sometimes with a vertical dial.

--Randy

marcusinfl
05-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Thank you very much for your answers! That is great!