PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener needs key "on" ? ?

CapeBimmer
05-13-2005, 02:49 PM
All the other cars I own or have owned that have this feature allow you to open or close the garage doors even if the key is removed from the ignition. I.E. The feature is on all the time. Pull in to the garage, turn off car and close the garage door or get in car, open the garage door and start car. Seems logical to me.

BMW forces you to have the ignition on. IMHO this should be changed so the garage door opener is on all of the time.

Ågent99
05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, it would be nice but it really hasn't been a big deal for me.

BillP
05-13-2005, 04:33 PM
All the other cars I own or have owned that have this feature allow you to open or close the garage doors even if the key is removed from the ignition. I.E. The feature is on all the time. Pull in to the garage, turn off car and close the garage door or get in car, open the garage door and start car. Seems logical to me.

BMW forces you to have the ignition on. IMHO this should be changed so the garage door opener is on all of the time.

The UGDO power source is definitely switched (the same power line is tapped for hidden radar detector installs, for example). If you need it to be unswitched, there is likely a power source you could tap into - this would be a fairly easy change. However, the downside is that you would have yet another device that draws juice when the key is off and our cars drain batteries enough as it is.

Bill

shabbaman
05-14-2005, 07:13 AM

Yes, thieves would really appreciate this feature.

BillP
05-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I see some problems with your assertion that a powered-though-ignition-off UGDO would be beneficial to thieves:

* They must already be in your car so you've lost already.

* The only scenario I see that working is where you park your car outside, NOT in the garage, giving them the ability to get into the garage. But don't most/all people with garage door openers put their cars in the garage?

* Most people I know lock the inside door in the garage, limiting the thief to rummaging around in the car-less garage.

* Your car alarm would be going off the entire time.

* If the thieves are sophisticated enough to get into your car without the alarm announcing their presence to the world, they are sophisticated enough to power the UGDO with an external source.

There are others, but that is a good start. However, I am not a thief and don't think like one, so perhaps I am missing some crafty way of taking advantage of the situation.

Bill

speedracerf4i
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I see some problems with your assertion that a powered-though-ignition-off UGDO would be beneficial to thieves:

I am not a thieve either, but if I wanna be one, and if your garage opener or Home-link was powered (no keys), I'd learn your code and come back to burglarize your home when you are out.

* The only scenario I see that working is where you park your car outside, NOT in the garage, giving them the ability to get into the garage. But don't most/all people with garage door openers put their cars in the garage?
Yes, most people do. But there are few that don't. My neighbor parks his brand new RS4 in the driveway. The GT2 and his project car 911 are in the garage.
* Most people I know lock the inside door in the garage, limiting the thief to rummaging around in the car-less garage.
Again, exception to the rule do exist. I known very few people who lock their doors to the house within the garage.
What if the car was unlocked?

* If the thieves are sophisticated enough to get into your car without the alarm announcing their presence to the world, they are sophisticated enough to power the UGDO with an external source.
Sophisticated thieves break into banks and other bigger loots.
Petty thieves breaks into homes and steal your Rolex and Computers.
Personally, I am more afraid of petty thieves.

There are others, but that is a good start. However, I am not a thief and don't think like one, so perhaps I am missing some crafty way of taking advantage of the situation.

Bill

I am sure BMW does not want any liability, however unlikely it may be.

shabbaman
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM

Bill

Generally you're right but -
a car with powered-though-ignition-off UGDO does not need to be stolen - just needs to be accessible. If you have a convertible, as a thief you may not even need to open the door. Just reach in and push the buttons.

Not all people lock their cars and not all people keep their cars in the garage.

Personally, I never use my front door and use my garage door instead. I'm liberated from my house keys this way (And one less thing in my pockets - yay).

Lately, I've been using my garage as temorary storage and not for its' intended purpose. :bawling:

Some people keep their car keys in or close to the garage. So if a thief has access to a your garage he may have access to your car keys.

A good theft is always planned. The cable guy, the plumber, the service tech, etc...could
have an accomplice and all it may take is for him to see that you leave your 2001 Acura TL (I happen to know that this car has a powered UGDO) unlocked and the keys are hanging on the wall in the garage. It'll be the easiest theft in the world. Nobody will ever know.

I'm not saying it's probable, I'm just saying it's possible (even though highly unlikely) - given the right circumstances that a powered UGDO could be the source of a break-in and/or a car theft.

BMW changed the power window buttons on the E39 and E38 because their windows are designed to go up when you push down on the button. If you're a kid and you step on this button you can choke yourself. The newer design forces you to pull up in order to close the window thereby virtually eliminating that risk. Since there's a liabliity there why take a chance on something happening?