PDA

View Full Version : Under panel flew off on hwy...

Jon Shafer
05-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Is this a common problem?

:(

What do the OEM replacement parts run?

Josh (PA)
05-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Is this a common problem?

:(

What do the OEM replacement parts run?Happened to me at 90mph on the PA turnpike last year. OEM replacement panels ( I needed the under panel, vertical piece and the two "porkchops") installed ran about $300 installed at my non-dealer BMW mechanic. I don't think it's a common problem if the panel is replaced correctly after services, but I expect that a shop i took my car to before finding the guy I used now skipped a few of the fasteners.

Sorry Jon, welcome to the e36 club. At least you already have two of the biggies down (underpanel, and brakelight) now all you need is the thermostat and airbag light...

Jon Shafer
05-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Happened to me at 90mph on the PA turnpike last year. OEM replacement panels ( I needed the under panel, vertical piece and the two "porkchops") installed ran about $300 installed at my non-dealer BMW mechanic. I don't think it's a common problem if the panel is replaced correctly after services, but I expect that a shop i took my car to before finding the guy I used now skipped a few of the fasteners.

Sorry Jon, welcome to the e36 club. At least you already have two of the biggies down (underpanel, and brakelight) now all you need is the thermostat and airbag light...
What a bummer... :(

Yeah, I was going sort of fast (3 digits) when it came undone...

:eeps:

Thanks for the info Josh.

Okay, so I have heard about the radiator/H20 pump/thermostat, but not the
airbag light...

:dunno:

What's the deal with the airbag light?

Pinecone
05-15-2005, 03:47 AM
If it is the forwad underpanel, JT designs does a nice aluminum one.

Jon Shafer
05-15-2005, 11:20 AM
If it is the forwad underpanel, JT designs does a nice aluminum one.
Thanks Pinecone.

Do you know if the JT Designs panel is simple to install?

Anyone here done this? I suppose that I'll need access to a lift?

·clyde·
05-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't think it's a common problem if the panel is replaced correctly after services, but I expect that a shop i took my car to before finding the guy I used now skipped a few of the fasteners.

It's a pretty common problem on E36s that see much autocrossing. Actually, it's not exactly uncommon on any car with a similar underpanel secured by crappy fasteners that sees much autocrossing. Running over cones (not hitting them, but running them down) tends to rip the fasteners right out.

Kaz
05-15-2005, 12:32 PM
I've helped install the JT one, and I don't know if I'd exactly call it 'nice.'

BahnBaum
05-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks Pinecone.

Do you know if the JT Designs panel is simple to install?

Anyone here done this? I suppose that I'll need access to a lift?

I can't imagine needing a lift to do this. Jackstands are fine.

Alex

Kaz
05-15-2005, 12:56 PM
A lift? Probably easier to hold the pieces up with the car close to the ground.

Jon Shafer
05-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback...

Sounds like the aluminum panel may be unnecessary?

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback...

Sounds like the aluminum panel may be unnecessary?
The consensus that I've seen is that whether the JTD undertray is nice or not, it doesn't seem to fall off randomly.

Pinecone
05-15-2005, 06:06 PM
And THAT is the big point. :)

I have mostly good things about them, but have no first hand knowledge. The LTW uses the splitter as the underpan. :)

Kaz
05-15-2005, 06:09 PM
The consensus that I've seen is that whether the JTD undertray is nice or not, it doesn't seem to fall off randomly.

Yeah, it uses a bunch of screws so it shouldn't fall off.

Jon Shafer
05-15-2005, 09:14 PM
The consensus that I've seen is that whether the JTD undertray is nice or not, it doesn't seem to fall off randomly.I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I don't plan on running over any
cones or scraping over anything else, sounds like I probably won't need
to go as extreme as the aluminum panel -- especially if the installation
is not clean (read: pita)? Will the (OE) fasteners hold secure under normal
(sic) driving conditions? The one that came off looked like it had been
banged up previously on curb stops or something.

Josh (PA)
05-15-2005, 09:35 PM
What a bummer... :(

Yeah, I was going sort of fast (3 digits) when it came undone...

:eeps:

Thanks for the info Josh.

Okay, so I have heard about the radiator/H20 pump/thermostat, but not the
airbag light...

:dunno:

What's the deal with the airbag light?
I think the airbag light is caused by crappy front seat belt sensors. If the sensor doesn't work, even for a brief time (seconds), the airbag check light will illuminate and stay on until it's reset. I know it's very common on z3s, do a quick search on that board I think Ron had a thread about it.

seanramey63
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
JT designs plate is relatively simple, lots of fastening to do, if your wheel wells are messed up(missing or busted screw holes) you will need to replace them

Jon Shafer
05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I decided to go with OEM - the price was too good to pass
up from BMW Santa Barbara; "Internet/Bimmerfest Special" was about half of the price
of the aftermarket. If I can get get another 6 years out of it that'll be great...