PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the US have their DRLs turned on?

Ågent99
05-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm curious about those who have successfully turned their DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) on specifically in the US.

My dealer gave me a little bit too much of a song and dance about why he couldn't turn them on but I dunno what the deal is.

What are y'alls experience?

To be clear, I am talking about real DRLs...not the psuedo-ones that BMW discusses in the manual. Real DRLs in the E39 were defined as the high beams set at 30% power and were only on with the light dial in the off position and the ignition switch in position 2 (maybe position 1, too, I forget). I'm guessing it is very similar in the E60.

I've seen some I-Drive menus (non-US) with the option to turn these on or off but it appears to have been pulled for the US market I think because Canada requires DRLs. Perhaps Canada and the US share the same software?

Thanks!

tmoody
05-16-2005, 01:08 PM
my '05 530 is equipped with the DRL's activated. initially, i spoke with the dealer about turning them off, but it hasn't been that big of a deal. they are the high beam bulbs about 30% as you mentioned.

Love530
05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
I had my DRL's turned on by the dealer after I took delivery last November. A service tech was able to make the change in about 10 minutes so I don't know why you were getting the run around. Try another dealer......

Ågent99
05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I had my DRL's turned on by the dealer after I took delivery last November. A service tech was able to make the change in about 10 minutes so I don't know why you were getting the run around. Try another dealer......
:dunno:

I think the real issue is that the dealer I asked to do this for me is the dealer who is taking my courtesy delivery--i.e. he isn't the dealer I bought my car from. Hence, he isn't too terribly interested in doing much more than handing me the keys.

If I go elsewhere, I'm sure they will want to charge me. We'll see if anything crops up that necessitates a dealer visit and ask then to see if it can be done.

arnolds
05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
:dunno:

I think the real issue is that the dealer I asked to do this for me is the dealer who is taking my courtesy delivery--i.e. he isn't the dealer I bought my car from. Hence, he isn't too terribly interested in doing much more than handing me the keys.

If I go elsewhere, I'm sure they will want to charge me. We'll see if anything crops up that necessitates a dealer visit and ask then to see if it can be done.

Just go back there and ask when you are able to drive your car legally! :rofl:

scope12da
05-16-2005, 03:58 PM
When I took delivery of my black 04 545i/6, the DRLs were not on. I asked my SA to have them on, and he arranged it for me through the svc dept (on another day). They initially tried to charge me $50 for the reprogram :yikes: , but I got upset and they comp'd it (THEY BETTER HAVE!!! :irate: )

Anyway, it was done in like 15 mins, no "technical" sweat!

stream
05-16-2005, 07:20 PM
When I picked up my '05 545i the DRLs were set to on. I didn't notice until the next day, and the dealer I bought it from was pretty far away, so I brought it to my local dealer and they turned them off for me gratis. According to my local dealer, factory default in the US is DRLs off, but for some reason they had my car's DRLs turned on.

Ågent99
05-17-2005, 12:22 PM
I think my courtesy delivery dealer lacked, uh, motivation....

Bart001
05-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I think my courtesy delivery dealer lacked, uh, motivation....

That would be a mistake, but a common one no doubt. They should be looking at you as a future customer and not a nuisance. I hear that the dealers make a profit on warranty and maintenance program work for BMWNA . . .

heezyo2o
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Picked up the car with DRLs turned on, but finally had them turned off as it looks much better that way IMO.

Ågent99
05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I firmly believe in the safety aspect of DRLs. I've got a buddy BMW mechanic who will help me out with this later on in the summer (he is kinda out of town a bit). Anyway, it appears that DRLs are no biggie to turn on so my CD dealer is, well, you know....

video131313
05-21-2005, 09:21 PM
I had the dealer turn my DRL's on shortly after I took delivery of my car. It didnt take too long at all, but I did notice that they charged the sales department $160.00 for doing so. They told me it was no charge to me since I bought the car there.

bigredexpy
05-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Picked up the car with DRLs turned on, but finally had them turned off as it looks much better that way IMO.

I agree they look better with them off. I prefer parking lights with the fogs on. :bigpimp: ;)

Ågent99
05-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I agree they look better with them off. I prefer parking lights with the fogs on. :bigpimp: ;)
:spank:

Now don't make me get on my :soapbox: !!

;)

bigredexpy
05-27-2005, 08:34 AM

;)

I was just kidding if you look at my wink :D

LmtdSlip
05-27-2005, 08:55 AM
I firmly believe in the safety aspect of DRLs. I've got a buddy BMW mechanic who will help me out with this later on in the summer (he is kinda out of town a bit). Anyway, it appears that DRLs are no biggie to turn on so my CD dealer is, well, you know....

The safety aspect is a myth unless you live in a very northen lattitude.

There are many threads on this topic. And when presented with the scientific evidence that DRLs dont offer a safety advantage those who want them simply respond with "Well I think they make me safer so there :p "

So put them on if it gives you peace of mind...but dont wonder why if people pull out in front of you anyway.

bigredexpy
05-27-2005, 09:01 AM

;)

I was just kidding if you look at my wink :D

Ågent99
05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
The safety aspect is a myth unless you live in a very northen lattitude.

There are many threads on this topic. And when presented with the scientific evidence that DRLs dont offer a safety advantage those who want them simply respond with "Well I think they make me safer so there :p "

So put them on if it gives you peace of mind...but dont wonder why if people pull out in front of you anyway.
Point me to a couple of the threads...I'd be interested.

One thing I noticed many years ago when traveling through some of the smaller roads in Arizona was that they had signs posted in several spots that said, "Lights on". I was later told by the cop who pulled me over for speeding that you can see other cars easier in very flat, bright areas if they have their lights on. I think I'd have to agree.

Motorcycles often have their lights on. Dunno about anyone else, but I tend to notice cars with lights on during the day since most people in the US do not use DRLs...the ones that do tend to stick out.

Anyway, before stirring up a hornet's nest with this, point out some of the good threads on this and I'll peruse them.

Thanks! :thumbup:

LoneStarM3
05-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Possible small consideration, but my insurance company knocks a small amount off of the premium for each vehicle which has DRLs. (No big deal, only $7 per car, but other companys mightng have different figures -- my ins company is USAA)

LmtdSlip
05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Possible small consideration, but my insurance company knocks a small amount off of the premium for each vehicle which has DRLs. (No big deal, only $7 per car, but other companys mightng have different figures -- my ins company is USAA)

That is unusual as most ins. companies dont extend a discount....which is certainly an indication that there isnt a link to a reduction in claims from people with or without DRLs

Ågent99
05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
That is unusual as most ins. companies dont extend a discount....which is certainly an indication that there isnt a link to a reduction in claims from people with or without DRLs
Perhaps so. Of the few accidents I was in with my 530i (none my fault), the nature of the accident precluded DRLs from helping at all. What I mean: being rear-ended, side-swiped, etc.

DRLs are mandatory in some countries--Canada is one. There must be some reason...I bet it was addressed in whatever threads you are referring to....