PDA

View Full Version : 2006/2007 550i

sefh
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi, just joined the site today.

Anyone out there know anything about the new 550i for the 2006/07 year model?

I AM in Germany and the dealerships don't know much. Nothing's come out of Munich yet. I do know a few things about options and BMW Individual parts, M5 Aero kit and stuff. Just ask. I understand some things are just not available to dealers in the US.

I just missed an E60 meet in Slenaken, the Netherlands. Got to be too late and I had to bypass it on my way to Kinderdij.

Thanks!

Ågent99
05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Welcome to 'Fest! :thumbup:

What do you want to know? We have all the answers here! :rofl:

Actually, I don't think there is too much yet...lottsa E90 focus right now.

sefh
05-18-2005, 03:14 AM
This is the latest (the salesman at the Dealership talking):

"I just spoke with the factory rep in Munich and he has shared some of the changes with me for MY2006. The interior is getting improved surfaces designed to last longer then in current models, the hand brake will have a leather wrap instead of plastic, and there will be a few more ruthenium or aluminum looking accents inside. The new engine will be a 5.0 instead of a 4.4, it will have more power while actually improving fuel efficiency. That's what I know at the moment and will keep you updated as I learn new things about the new model."

So I guess that's it so far. I've asked about improvements to the iDrive, several option packages and such but have not gotten a good answer yet.

Best to all.

sefh.

Ågent99
05-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Wow, that is something: Bigger displacement engine, more power, yet better fuel efficiency!? :confused: Okay...BMW engineers are good, very good, but I'll wait for that one and see it with my own eyes! :)

Otherwise, all sounds good. Any exterior mods happening?

speedracerf4i
05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
This is the latest (the salesman at the Dealership talking):

"I just spoke with the factory rep in Munich and he has shared some of the changes with me for MY2006. The interior is getting improved surfaces designed to last longer then in current models, the hand brake will have a leather wrap instead of plastic, and there will be a few more ruthenium or aluminum looking accents inside. The new engine will be a 5.0 instead of a 4.4, it will have more power while actually improving fuel efficiency. That's what I know at the moment and will keep you updated as I learn new things about the new model."

So I guess that's it so far. I've asked about improvements to the iDrive, several option packages and such but have not gotten a good answer yet.

Best to all.

sefh.

Are you sure the engine will not be 4.8?

stream
05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Are you sure the engine will not be 4.8?

A good example of how most sales people don't know what they're talking about! :banghead:

sefh
05-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I missed that. It is supposed to be a 4.8 Liter not a 5.0

And you're right. I've dealt with three different dealerships so far and every salesman knows "a little different" than the next. Unfortunate that I have to cross check all these answers to see if I'm getting the right responses.

As far as "more powerful, yet more economic" I wouldn't put it past the engineers to do just that.

The ONE thing that I love about the BMWs - all of them, but especially the 5-er is how technologically advanced they are - consequently, that's one of the things I ALSO hate. Soooo much more stuff to break down. There's a friggin' motor, servo, or some electromagnetcallymechanicized doohickey for everything in sight. What happens after the warranty expires?

My father in-law has a 2002 7451 and he's always having to take it back to do some "software upgrade or reset", and everytime they do, he loses ALL his settings. Think computers - remember the last time yours crashed and you had to re-install the OS. It wasn't pretty was it?? You lost all your stuff didn't you?

That scares the stuffing out of me. It won't be long before we see viruses migrating to automobiles.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. If and when I find out anymore about the 550i I'll get back on and mention it.

For the time being - WHAT ARE THE HORROR STORIES OUT THERE? WHO HAS HAD A TERRIBLE TIME WITH THEIR 5-ER SO FAR, HOW HAS BMW HANDLED IT - FROM THE DEALERSHIP TO BMWNA. I read a story about a guy with an M3 that would scare anyone from dealing with BMWNA.

Regards.

SEFH

Ågent99
05-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Sefh,

I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about with the M3. That was more a dealership thing than a BMWNA thing but it would have been nice that BMW did something more than they did. In the end, he got mostly what he wanted.

As far as my 2005 545i goes, it has 1359 miles on it and is doing just fine. I have yet to run into any hiccups (knock, knock, toss salt). I'm still learning to drive the SMG better...I'm kinda wondering if I should've just gotten a manual but I'll learn the SMG and I'm sure I'll grow to love it.

530iii
05-19-2005, 03:16 PM
F Y I

By the way fellas, Car & Driver says that the V8 in the new 750i is a slightly modded V8 from the X5 4.8is! :fruit: :drive: