PDA

View Full Version : I-drive screen on when ignition key is out

yamilrx
05-17-2005, 08:12 PM
I have had my 05 530i for 6days and the weirdest thing happened to me today. I removed the key from the ignition and the I-drive screen with the radio stayed on. After a few tries of turning the ignition on and off and the screen not turning off I tried turning off the bluetooth on my phone and it finally turned off. Although my bluetooth is paired to my phone, it works sporadically and the addressbook never migrated to the car. The only time it works is when I go to the phone and set the car bluetooth on the phone as hands free. This hands free was on when the screen failed to turn off and as soon as I turned off the bluetooth on the phone is when the screen finally shut off. Has anyone experienced this or is it a normal feature for it to stay on until the phone is off range. Help!!! :dunno:

mlahti
05-17-2005, 10:17 PM
I just experienced the same. It's probably because our phone are not fully compatible?

yamilrx
05-18-2005, 06:11 AM
I just experienced the same. It's probably because our phone are not fully compatible?

Hey mlahti,
Thanks for your reply but just wondering if your phone's contacts migrated to your car. Once the hands freen icon diappears from my phone then the bluetooth link stops working. How did you get the screen to shut off. Did you turn off the bluetooth on the phone?

Ågent99
05-18-2005, 10:27 AM
The radio can operate for up to 15 or 20 minutes AFTER you pull the key out of the ignition. I forget what you need to do to do this but you did it! :D

It is in the fine manual... :D

CapeBimmer
05-18-2005, 03:14 PM
After you take your key out try opening your door to see if that shuts the radio off.

I haven't tried it on mine, but it makes sense that you might be able to turn the car off, remove the key while staying in the car and listen to the radio.

Not sure, but my $.02

MarcusSDCA
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Try locking the car and waiting overnight (seriously). Something like this happened to me and it was "all better" in the morning. I think the car calls Bavaria in the middle of the night to tell the German home boys some "bad American driver" stories.

mlahti
05-18-2005, 08:33 PM
I am not sure if the iDrive would have switched off by itself after a while, however, switching/powering off the phone immediatly shut iDrive down so this has to do with Bluetooth. Like I said I assume our phones are not fully copatible. The phone intermittently works and sometimes just freezes so I gave up on having it connected to the car. Will have to look for a compatible phone. There might also be firm ware updats to the phones. I wen to a Cingular shop and they could not help me they said call Cingular directly, yea and what are they just going to beam the upgrade down to me?!:mad:

My contact info did not make it to the car it keeps saying (if I connect it) please activate phone. :dunno:

yamilrx
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
I am not sure if the iDrive would have switched off by itself after a while, however, switching/powering off the phone immediatly shut iDrive down so this has to do with Bluetooth. Like I said I assume our phones are not fully copatible. The phone intermittently works and sometimes just freezes so I gave up on having it connected to the car. Will have to look for a compatible phone. There might also be firm ware updats to the phones. I wen to a Cingular shop and they could not help me they said call Cingular directly, yea and what are they just going to beam the upgrade down to me?!:mad:

My contact info did not make it to the car it keeps saying (if I connect it) please activate phone. :dunno:

Last night I tried my wife's phone which is a motorola e380 (I think) and it paired but the contacts did not. My next try is the razor which is one of the phones listed as being compatible. If that doesn't work :mad: then I may take it in to see if they need to upgrade the software. I also activated the bmw assist and it was really cool how the call me through the car's phone. Unfortunatelly this phone can only be used for BMW assit calls. My I drive turned on as soon as I hit the SOS button as I was told by the BMW assist attendant and it turned off once we ended the call (account setup) so I guess it is normal for it to turn on w/out keys in the ignition.

lcc014
05-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Last night I tried my wife's phone which is a motorola e380 (I think) and it paired but the contacts did not. My next try is the razor which is one of the phones listed as being compatible. If that doesn't work :mad: then I may take it in to see if they need to upgrade the software. I also activated the bmw assist and it was really cool how the call me through the car's phone. Unfortunatelly this phone can only be used for BMW assit calls. My I drive turned on as soon as I hit the SOS button as I was told by the BMW assist attendant and it turned off once we ended the call (account setup) so I guess it is normal for it to turn on w/out keys in the ignition.
I had my V3 doing that 1 time. I turned off the car but I-Drive screen was still ON. I tried to started the car and shut down, still no luck. I finally disable BlueTooth in my V3, then turned off the car. Then I-Drive turned off itself as usual. Phone book/contact works well between V3 and BMW.

Ching-Ho Cheng

TGray5
05-31-2005, 04:35 PM
The radio can operate for up to 15 or 20 minutes AFTER you pull the key out of the ignition. I forget what you need to do to do this but you did it! :D

It is in the fine manual... :D

The problem he is describing is when radio won't go off and neither will I-drive screen after shutting off the car. It has to do with a bug in Bluetooth. It happened once to me when I was trying to dial my voice mail with special pause characters in it for the password...I-drive locked up and radio/I-drive remained on after shutting off the car.

I don't think this is in the manual ;=)

dbansal
06-06-2005, 06:56 PM
I must say, the people BMW have definetly upgraded their idrive/bluetooth software on their 06 models. I have been reading many of the problems you 05 folks are having with your bluetooth and I musy say my 06 is not experiencing any problems. Im dubious as to if its solely luck, the software is definetly upgraded and it's beautiful.