PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Removal - Dashboard Storage

RBinWeHo
05-18-2005, 12:30 AM
Hope this isn't too lame a question: What's the best way to remove the sticker that's on top of the storage bin on top of the dash? I don't want to scratch/damage the plastic cover and I really don't like how the sticker reflects in the windshield.

jliu34740
05-18-2005, 03:30 AM
Just peel it off

iChick
05-18-2005, 04:26 AM
It peels off easily. Mine was off before I left the dealership parking lot...

Caesar
05-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Hope this isn't too lame a question: What's the best way to remove the sticker that's on top of the storage bin on top of the dash? I don't want to scratch/damage the plastic cover and I really don't like how the sticker reflects in the windshield.

Mine started to come off in tiny pieces which had me worried, but once I got a good edge up, it pretty much came off all in one big piece.

If you look real real close, you can see where it was, but no one else would notice. It really doesn't leave a mark.

Hopefully you haven't left it there baking in the sun too long though. I did mine within a day or two of getting it from the dealer.

Tayrum
05-18-2005, 07:49 AM
If it doesn't come off easily because it has baked in the California sun, try a product called Goo Gone or Goof Off. Both are great at taking stickers off and then clean the surface afterwards. If you are leary of trying a product like that, try an oil like vegetable oil which should help with any sticker that does not come off.

Having 2 kids I'm pretty good at getting sticky gunk out of cars. Had my X3 about 3 weeks and found a wad of gum in the back carpet!

Woody
05-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Mine peeled off and I used Goo Be Gone too and there is still an outline of where the sticker used to be :cry: due to the sun I guess. I wonder if I could talk a Service Advisor into replacing it for me. I wonder if the new part comes with the sticker already stuck on it or if that is something that comes seperate?

climrgrl
05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Mine peeled off and I used Goo Be Gone too and there is still an outline of where the sticker used to be :cry: due to the sun I guess. I wonder if I could talk a Service Advisor into replacing it for me. I wonder if the new part comes with the sticker already stuck on it or if that is something that comes seperate?

Have you tried straight isopropyl alcohol? The 99% stuff.

Woody
05-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Yes, I think so. It was a while ago when I tried. I gave up-its just a fricken piece of plastic right!? But, it is a part of my "Ultimate Driving Machine" and it urks me.

RBinWeHo
05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the guidance. I appreciate the help.

RB

Bart001
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM

Not recommended!!! Isopropyl alcohol will suck the plasticizer right out of SOME plastics.

climrgrl
05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Not recommended!!! Isopropyl alcohol will suck the plasticizer right out of SOME plastics.

I don't think the plastic used in your dash is one of them. Isopropyl alcohol is generally plastic-safe and is used to clean a lot of different plastics. If you're really concerned, do a small test patch first, maybe on the underside of the cover where no one would see. Acetone would probably take it right off, but I would definitely do a test patch for that. It reacts with more plastics that isopropyl does.

99flhr
05-20-2005, 11:11 AM

WD-40, dissolves the adhesive,won`t "melt" the plastic.

Xcube
05-20-2005, 11:22 AM
I'd stay away from chemicals. Try a steamer, the one they use to remove wallpapers. Make sure to constantly wipe excess steam to avoid messing up the dashboard. If you can, take out the lid where it's stuck and do it outside the car. :thumbup:

SpeedFreak!
05-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Yes, I think so. It was a while ago when I tried. I gave up-its just a fricken piece of plastic right!? But, it is a part of my "Ultimate Driving Machine" and it urks me.

Hey Woody... I'm not sure what I'm more curious about... how you got the Warning of off the sun visor... or why you list it in your sig... :p
Since the latter has given me the opportunity to ask you how it's done... I guess we can let it slide for now... ;) Seriously though... I must know! :confused:

Woody
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90893&highlight=visor+stickers

Now my interior is black-not cluttered with obnoxious stickers!