PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Area dealers

resker
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm about to start the price negotiation process on a 2006 3 Series. Anyone have any strong opinions / recommendations around which of the myriad Bay Area dealers I ought start with?

Thanks!

wagonman
05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
i had very good luck with victor hung at peter pan bmw in san mateo. he did right by me. pm me if you want details. very professional. very good guy. i would recommend him highly.

ktc
05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Michael Borbet at BMW of Mountain View gets my vote. Very fair guy.

Flex
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Resker,

Like Wagonman, I bought mine from Peter Pan BMW. However, I worked with Dick Rebozzi (proper spelling of his last name escapes at the moment). Overall, experience was good.

Also, as an added wrinkle to the buying process, I actually went through the Costco auto program, wherein it referred me to Peter Pan BMW. I felt like I got a great deal. So, don't know how far along the process you are...but you may want to check it out. PM me if want to know more about the Costco experience.

Otherwise, you may want to consider Weatherford BMW in Emeryville. My family had a good experience with them when we picked up our first BMW...many, many years ago.

Good luck! Of course, when the dust settles, pics, pic, pics!!!

Flex

Galun
05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Michael Borbet at BMW of Mountain View gets my vote. Very fair guy.

Second the vote for Michael Borbet. He and Lonnie Philips took care of my ED deal, which includes switching the car I was going to pick up (from a sedan to a coupe) 3 weeks before pickup. They did they magic, traded the car with another dealership for one with my exact specs, and off I went.

Ågent99
05-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Would any of you like to post how much you paid? Just give us a dollar amount over US invoice or Euro invoice if you did a ED.

My experience hasn't been all that great buying BMWs in the Bay Area and so I've purchased my last two BMWs in Oregon.

However, I'm always willing to give the local guys a shot if it is worth my time. Going to Oregon to retrieve my car is semi-painful but my dealer there is very good.

Flex
05-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Would any of you like to post how much you paid? Just give us a dollar amount over US invoice or Euro invoice if you did a ED.

My experience hasn't been all that great buying BMWs in the Bay Area and so I've purchased my last two BMWs in Oregon.

However, I'm always willing to give the local guys a shot if it is worth my time. Going to Oregon to retrieve my car is semi-painful but my dealer there is very good.

Agent99,

I saved ~$1600 off MSRP in 2003 for my 3. The price was for the following options - Performance Package, moon roof, split fold-down seats w/ski bag, and Xenons.

Hope this helps.

Flex

resker
05-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Are there any tax advantages to buying in Oregon? BTW, thanks to everyone for their advice!

sfca-325i
05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Viraj Kumar @ BMW of Mountain View (fka Allison BMW).
Mark Gusto at BMW of SF.

tksung
05-20-2005, 05:31 PM

Hmm, wagonman is coming to the Bay Area to buy a bmw, and agent99 is going to Oregon... Maybe you two should get together and swap the dealers. :p

arnolds
05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Second the vote for Michael Borbet. He and Lonnie Philips took care of my ED deal, which includes switching the car I was going to pick up (from a sedan to a coupe) 3 weeks before pickup. They did they magic, traded the car with another dealership for one with my exact specs, and off I went.

I'd stay away from those guys. :mad:

beewang
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
:stupid:

Galun
05-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I'd stay away from those guys. :mad:

Humm, really? Why?

arnolds
05-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Humm, really? Why?

Lets just say they are not fans of this site and its great ability to educate the bmw buying public. :confused:

PKandCK
05-21-2005, 03:48 PM
John Ward of Niello BMW... Sacramento.
Very enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable. Helpful also!

sfca-325i
05-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Lets just say they are not fans of this site and its great ability to educate the bmw buying public. :confused:

Yeah, I'd have to agree. When I bought my first bimmer (2003 325i), I dealt with Lonnie via the internet. Lonnie would not give me a price over the internet. Viraj, at the same dealership, on the other hand, did a great job for me, searching their in-transit cars to get me a quote based on my most desirable options on our X3. He pushed to get me car to the dealership from VPC in SoCal so that I didn't risk losing the step incentive that BMW was offering, at that time.

jrp
05-21-2005, 07:25 PM
My vote goes to Ed Jung, Internet Sales at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton. A very personable straightshooter who's also a true enthusiast.

Galun
05-21-2005, 11:07 PM

Humm. I had a different experience. I used the Rizzo method and he was the first one to respond. Very straight forward, met all my terms, and didn't try to pull any tricks.

Oh well...

Jon Shafer
05-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Humm. I had a different experience. I used the Rizzo method and he was the first one to respond. Very straight forward, met all my terms, and didn't try to pull any tricks.

Oh well...Galun,

No offense to you at all, but Lonnie Phillips and BMW of Mountain View are on the official Bimmerfest Sh*t list.

I personally recommend that all Bimmerfest members avoid that dealership
like The Plague.

At some point I will post the "Now it can be told" thread...

tksung
05-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure if being a fan of bimmerfest should be a prerequisite for being a good dealer. (I suppose it's a different matter if they are averse to educated public, but I generally have high regard for Allison BMW). I'd think being straight and honest is more important.

Galun
05-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Galun,

No offense to you at all, but Lonnie Phillips and BMW of Mountain View are on the official Bimmerfest Sh*t list.

I personally recommend that all Bimmerfest members avoid that dealership
like The Plague.

At some point I will post the "Now it can be told" thread...

None taken! :thumbup:

I look forward to the now it can be told thread.

arnolds
05-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure if being a fan of bimmerfest should be a prerequisite for being a good dealer. (I suppose it's a different matter if they are averse to educated public, but I generally have high regard for Allison BMW). I'd think being straight and honest is more important.

See Jon's post. :)

Jon Shafer
05-22-2005, 03:21 PM
None taken! :thumbup:

I look forward to the now it can be told thread.Well, here's the short version: you know how for the past 4 years here on
this site I have been posting the full pricing .pdf's for the various BMW
models? About a week after I posted the new e90 pricing sheets I received
an email from some "Fleet Manager" at BMW of Mountain View named Lonnie
Phillips giving me a hard time about posting the pricing information on
Bimmerfest.com. "What is your motivation listing the wholesale pricing on-
line," he asked. "Put yourself in my shoes and let me take a chunk of your
paycheck..." (as if having the knowledge of true dealer cost was going to
make a real difference in price negotiation; awareness does not change the
market price in a free market system) Then, a few days later, I began
receiving frantic emails from the dealers who actually do support this site
stating that some dealer had made a BIG stink to BMWNA about the pricing
posted here, and further that they (BMWNA) were threatening economic
sanctions against those dealers that sponsor Bimmerfest.com. It was at
their begging under duress that I agreed to pull the pricing .pdfs from the
site.

:tsk:

BMW MV
:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

One of these days I am going to post this in the "Ask-a-dealer" forum and
make it a permanent sticky (after I repost the pricing .pdf's.).

tksung
05-23-2005, 12:32 PM
That's just plain silly complain from Mt View BMW. The invoice prices are available from everywhere. It makes me wonder though, if bimmerfest is relying on the support of dealers too much. It may be difficult to please both users and dealers and bmw, all the time, as they have different interest. At times, bimmerfest may have to decide if it is a user interest group, or dealer/bmw interest group.

sfca-325i
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
That's just plain silly complain from Mt View BMW. The invoice prices are available from everywhere. It makes me wonder though, if bimmerfest is relying on the support of dealers too much. It may be difficult to please both users and dealers and bmw, all the time, as they have different interest. At times, bimmerfest may have to decide if it is a user interest group, or dealer/bmw interest group.

Agree, a complaint about the posting of invoice prices is silly. That info is available at virtually any car pricing website.

I would not, however, characterize bimmerfest as relying too heavily on the support of dealers. That is the unique aspect of this forum. The contributions from the dealership side are valuable. There are plenty of bmw forums out there but bimmerfest is the best when it comes to getting the straight dope from the perspective of the dealership.

jvr826
05-24-2005, 04:07 PM
All I can say is, back in 1996 I visited: BMW of San Francisco, Peter Pan BMW, Stevens Creek BMW, Claridges BMW, and Weatherford BMW to try to make a deal on a 328is with sport pkg and HK sound system. All I got was BS, runaround, and was treated like a bum off the street. I eventually ended up at Concord BMW and paid too much, but got *almost* the car I wanted and was done with it. I wanted this car very badly, nothing else at the time even came close to the performance. I even considered a Saab and, gasp, went to look at a Volvo. They had me all kinds of messed up!

After that nightmare shopping experience I met Jon Shafer at the *other* board, early 1999, and dealt with him on my next 2 cars from (then) Cutter Motors. Since Jon left there I dealt with Bruce Aiches at Santa Barbara BMW, the new dealership, on my newest car. I have only good things to say about the way these gentlemen, and I mean gentlemen, do business. Nothing like my experiences in the SF Bay Area.

I'm now only a couple days away from taking delivery and I can't wait!!

Sinjin
06-18-2005, 02:24 PM
New guy here and I am thinking about the E90 as second car. I was wondering how you would go about getting a quote via internet? How do you know when you have the best deal? Do you shop all the dealerships and take the best offer? Do you give the first dealer that responded an opportunity to beat all the quotes? I believe that price does not translate to best value. Any thoughts?

BayAreaBMWFan
09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
One of these days I am going to post this in the "Ask-a-dealer" forum and
make it a permanent sticky (after I repost the pricing .pdf's.).

So what exactly happened Jon.
Did BMWNA ask Lorne to stick the tail-pipe of a Yugo up his where the sun never shines? It is kind of stupid since the invoice pricing is available in 100 different places now.