PDA

View Full Version : 2005 leftover vs 2006 X3

duvbear
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know if the 2006 X3 will be significantly different from the 2005 X3 3.0? Anyone have info on confidential wholesale price for 2005/06 X3?
Thanks.
d

climrgrl
05-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know if the 2006 X3 will be significantly different from the 2005 X3 3.0? Anyone have info on confidential wholesale price for 2005/06 X3?
Thanks.
d

There's a lot of speculation on the 2006, but I haven't heard anything concrete yet. A couple of magazines claim to have the "inside scoop" and that the 2006 will have a more powerful engine (250 hp?), but I'm not sure I'd believe anything yet. Besides, if you _really_ want more power, go for the Hamann 3.3 liter upgrade. 286 hp!

szuszu
05-19-2005, 05:49 AM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56769/bmw_suvs_added_x_appeal.html

I am waiting for 2006.

Rob V
05-19-2005, 07:49 AM
That article makes it pretty clear that BMW will upgrade pretty much all of the most important aspects of the X3. The exterior styling, the materials and of course the engine. But what will that do to the cost? I personlallly like the interior as it is. I would be more reluctant to use the X3 in situations where it would get pretty dirty inside and out if it had all the nice plush soft-touch materials. Sure, most people won't ever put their BMW in that situation but I know I will.

climrgrl
05-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm a bit skeptical about the accuracy of the article -- I really think it's all just conjecture at this point. Same goes for any pictures of the new body style. But if you don't mind waiting until the fall, you can check out the real 2006 when it comes out. Then you can decide to either buy it, or pick up a 2005 for a pretty good deal. Best of both worlds if you can wait!

pipo
05-20-2005, 08:18 AM
There has been a lot of press about the new engines finding their way into the 2006 X3s, and it makes sense, because BMW has in the past rolled out new engines and gradually incorporated them across the model line. The new engines are more powerful and more efficient (and currently offered in the 325 and 330).

I drive a 2.5 with a stick, and it has more than enough power to allow for very spirited driving. More power is always nice, especially when you're talking about the new BMW engines, which have been universally praised, but I am more than happy with the current 2.5.

The Autoexpress article makes statements that sound realistic, but it's difficult to know whether the source is reliable. I personally like the current model's black bumpers; they give the X3 a rugged, less precious appearance, but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If they change the bumpers for something that looks more like the currently available aerodynamic kit, I wouldn't like it.

As far as interior materials are concerned, an interior upgrade could be a good thing, depending on the execution. I like the lines, curved surfaces and interplay of the materials in the current model. Softer touch plastics would be an improvement, as would higher quality leather and upgraded seats. But I would NOT want an X5 interior in the X3. Again, I like the modernist/minimalist/utilitarian interior of the current model.

I agree with climrgrl: if you're willing to wait, take a look at the 2006s and compare them to the 2005s. The only issue will be how many 2005s will be left on the lots at that point, because BMW will start incentivizing the soon to be old models well before the 2006s are delivered to dealers. If you're eager to get your X3 now, don't hesitate, go for it. Then you can spec it exactly as you want it and get a great price.

Nick325xiT 5spd
05-20-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm a bit skeptical about the accuracy of the article -- I really think it's all just conjecture at this point. Same goes for any pictures of the new body style. But if you don't mind waiting until the fall, you can check out the real 2006 when it comes out. Then you can decide to either buy it, or pick up a 2005 for a pretty good deal. Best of both worlds if you can wait!
It's highly unlikely that the X3 will continue to sell for long with the out of date 3.0. Either it will get the new engine for the fall, or for march production. And the fall is FAR more likely.

be-em-veh-808
05-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I agree with climrgrl: if you're willing to wait, take a look at the 2006s and compare them to the 2005s. The only issue will be how many 2005s will be left on the lots at that point, because BMW will start incentivizing the soon to be old models well before the 2006s are delivered to dealers. If you're eager to get your X3 now, don't hesitate, go for it. Then you can spec it exactly as you want it and get a great price.

Regarding how many 05 X3s are left, there's still tons.

I work in a building in Glendale, CA. Across the street is a parking structure for a shopping center. The top two floors of the structure are filled with spank'n new BMWs. Looking out the window, I can count at least 20-25 X3's just sit'n there. Of course cannot distiguish between 2.5 or 3.0.

I imagine that the lot is used by Pacific BMW of Glendale just down the street. It is certainly possible that another BMW dealer also uses that lot to store new cars. However it is not very likely.

SabreXray
05-22-2005, 11:01 AM
There was a 2005 X3 3.0 with exactly the options I want sitting on the lot in Schwienfurt Germany (US SPEC'D BMWs are hard to comeby here in Germany, there are only a few in each military community) the reason I stopped to have a look was the "Y" spoked 18 inched wheels (sport, premium, even had the nav) but I think the 255 hp engine alone is worth the wait for a 2006. I was chatting with the dealer and he even said the 2006 was well worth the wait. I told him the reason I wanted the blue 2005 he had on hand was that the 18 inch "Y" spoked wheels raised the top speed to 137 mph (up from 130 for the regular 3.0 X3), he was like so, the 2006 will be capable of 250 km/h+ (152 mph).

I can't wait to order one.

oh well August will get here soon.

JP

jdeday
05-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Remember that BMW updated the interior on the 2005 models, they incoporated:

•Soft touch plastics on the inside around the center radio surround.
•Interior door handles are pearl gloss.
•Doorsill inserts with the BMW logo.
•Door pockets match the interior color.
•Carpet that matches the interior color.
•Carpet in trunk matches interior color.
•Black in place of the Basalt Gray Dash.
•Power door button surrounds match the interior color.

What else could they do?

SabreXray
05-25-2005, 08:26 AM
I have talked to another dealer who hasn't heard whats new for 2006 yet. Anyway, he doesn't think the X3 will get the new engines until the facelift year. I guess we will see.

JP

slimpickens
06-02-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56769/bmw_suvs_added_x_appeal.html

I am waiting for 2006.

Here's a quote from that article:
Facelifted models will go on sale in Germany in September next year, with right-hand-drive cars due before the end of 2006.

Assuming the article is accurate, that makes it sound like 2007 model year. You're willing to wait another year and a half for these upgrades? :confused:

szuszu
06-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Hopefully we will find out soon enough. The article is from a british magazine and the right hand drive they are refering too is X3s with wheels mounted on right hand side for british left sided traffic. If they put new engines and upgrade interior + paint the bumpers for the fall (2006) productions I am sure we will get them at the same time. Would not make sense to have the factory manufacture two different versions at the same time.... my $$$ is on the new engines for this fall....

TasmanianDevil
06-27-2005, 03:59 AM
Look here: www.heimhof.de/x3/x3.htm
X3 was seen end of June in Bavaria - Germany.

The acelift for 2006 ?

x3drive
06-27-2005, 04:29 AM
This is for sure the '06 facelift.

Nice :thumbup: That looks much better at the front. Meaner, but more integrated looking, more like a sporting BMW....I won't go as far a saying M3-like... ;)

Now we just need interior shots, and some dates :D

TasmanianDevil
06-27-2005, 04:48 AM
The theme "facelift 2006" is discussed also in German forums. I've got the photos from there. The photographer told us, that the photos from the inside are too bad to publish.

Here in Germany we don't think that the pictures show the facelift for 2006. Usually the front spots are changed too, when facelifting. We think that they show an additional feature for the sport package. But on 4th of July BMW will publish the official new price list for autum 2005. We will be smarter then.
:bigpimp:

lilskel
06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Thats very nice...it's killing me to buy a 2005 but the money factor rate alone is going to make a 2006 $100 more a month, so thats already $3600 over the lease term..if theres a new engine or upgrade it might raise the price as well.

duvbear
06-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Gang
Thanks for the many responses.
I decided not to wait.
I leased a 2005 X3 3.0 from my favorite dealer; silver grey, black interior, iPod, privacy glass, xenons.
I had difficulty ignoring with the massive content upgrade from 2004, the 1.55% lease factor, 60% residual, and an extra couple of thou off the price.
I have had it for a week - outstanding vehicle.
Duvbear

Rob V
06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Did anyone notice that in the up-close shot of the rim there is a small "///M" logo? Is it possible that this is actually a "M" version of the X3? Or has this rim been around for a while and they are just using it for testing?

http://www.heimhof.de/x3/x39.jpg

JG
06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
This is for sure the '06 facelift.

Nice :thumbup: That looks much better at the front. Meaner, but more integrated looking, more like a sporting BMW....I won't go as far a saying M3-like... ;)

Now we just need interior shots, and some dates :D

The black bumper treatment has always looked odd to my eyes on the lighter coloured vehicles, and better looking on the darker vehicles (one of the reasons I chose black).

The body colour panels are an improvement for the lighter colour vehicles from the side view.

However the front bumpers look like a step backward to me - fat and boat like on the corners. Not good proportions. The front view looks like a happy face or some kind of demented rabit face. Actually the effect is a bit Audi like in the front view. The rears are OK.

Why bother with the two tones on the front?

lilskel
06-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Gang
Thanks for the many responses.
I decided not to wait.
I leased a 2005 X3 3.0 from my favorite dealer; silver grey, black interior, iPod, privacy glass, xenons.
I had difficulty ignoring with the massive content upgrade from 2004, the 1.55% lease factor, 60% residual, and an extra couple of thou off the price.
I have had it for a week - outstanding vehicle.
Duvbear

Where are you getting 1.55% lease factor from? June buy rates are .00010 or 2.4% effective, I don't see how its possible you are getting 1.55% even with 5 MSD's would be 1.8%

AlanLX3
06-28-2005, 10:13 PM
The body colour panels are an improvement for the lighter colour vehicles from the side view.

However the front bumpers look like a step backward to me - fat and boat like on the corners. Not good proportions. The front view looks like a happy face or some kind of demented rabit face. Actually the effect is a bit Audi like in the front view. The rears are OK.

The black in both the front and the back in these shots is a black mask just like the stuff covering the engine size logo. If you look carefully you can see the surface irregularities of the tape material. This is a common treatment given to "test mule" cars that are out on the streets in advance of a new model's release.

To be honest however, I like and wanted the plastic on the parts of the body that are going to get abused. The rocker panels under the doors gets trashed from road debris, the front end will get rock chips galore, and the rear valence right behind the rear wheels will get chipped by road debris as well. My X3 gets gravel road use and I have no use for fancy painted surfaces I will feel guilty about abusing.

SabreXray
06-28-2005, 10:16 PM
The black bumper treatment has always looked odd to my eyes on the lighter coloured vehicles, and better looking on the darker vehicles (one of the reasons I chose black).

Its not "two toned." If you look close there is a black tape of some kind covering parts of the bumpers. This is done to prevent a good look at the new lines of the car (its a test mule thing). The bumpers ARE only one color, the tape comes off, if you look you will see that it isn't even on there straight, there are rolls and air pockets in the tape.

JP

TasmanianDevil
06-28-2005, 11:00 PM
What see on the pictures is definetly the M-Sport package. I guess it will be sold by the end of this year.

If you take a look at the following link: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/n...artikel_id=9016 you have to click on "24 Bilder" .
The pictures 11 - 14 show the facelift for 2007.

By the way with the facelift the 2.5i will have 218 and the 3.0i 258 horses !

JG
06-29-2005, 04:13 AM
Its not "two toned." If you look close there is a black tape of some kind covering parts of the bumpers. This is done to prevent a good look at the new lines of the car (its a test mule thing). The bumpers ARE only one color, the tape comes off, if you look you will see that it isn't even on there straight, there are rolls and air pockets in the tape.

JP

Looking more closely it is tape.

What a lame a coverup job if that is the intent. It looks like the rear lights of the two vehicles together are different in the center (clear on the grey).

I agree with you Tasmanian - it looks like an M body package.............

Like on the new 5x wagon.....

Rob V
06-29-2005, 07:23 AM
What see on the pictures is definetly the M-Sport package. I guess it will be sold by the end of this year.

If you take a look at the following link: http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/n...artikel_id=9016 you have to click on "24 Bilder" .
The pictures 11 - 14 show the facelift for 2007.

By the way with the facelift the 2.5i will have 218 and the 3.0i 258 horses !

The link doesn't appear to be working. Can you re-post?

Liverman
06-29-2005, 09:25 AM
I think it is this one:

http://www.autobild.de/erlkoenige/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=9016

Greg

x3drive
06-29-2005, 03:30 PM
From Autobild:

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72122.jpg
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72123.jpg
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72124.jpg
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72125.jpg

JG
06-29-2005, 07:47 PM
From Autobild:

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72122.jpg

Now that looks like an advancement in design. Traditional black bumper treatment with body colour side body panels. I like that look.................

Thanks for the pics..................

TasmanianDevil
06-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Please note that the pictures show a prototype of the X3 facelift for 2007.

So it's not clear if the bumpers realy will be black plastic. I think that BMW will offer a painted version and a black colored version. Next to that we will have the shown M-package.

But isn't it great that BMW will rise the power of the engines up to 258 hp ?! :thumbup:

Xpander
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
When you paint these bumpers they look awefully like the one of the pictures posted about the "M" X3. I guess it is not an m-version after all, maybe just the upcoming facelift...?

M-PIRE
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
With the masked 2.0i badge on the side, there is no way it would be an M caliber car. Maybe these were just some wheels they had sitting around come time to slap some rubber on.

The styling does not look much different than the current models with the aero bumpers. I do want those clear front corners though.... that is nice.

JG
07-01-2005, 05:33 PM
With the masked 2.0i badge on the side, there is no way it would be an M caliber car. Maybe these were just some wheels they had sitting around come time to slap some rubber on.

The styling does not look much different than the current models with the aero bumpers. I do want those clear front corners though.... that is nice.

It is likely an 'M' body package - like the option on the CDN 2005 530xiT - and 2004 3 series sedans. Side skirts, different bumpers possibly and different wheels.

Steveo8998
07-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I can't identify the diffrences between that one and the '05 except for the Side Rails and the "masked" front bumper, but for some reason it gets my Testosterone moving threw my body if you know what i mean. That thing is a buety! :thumbup:

So I was thinking and it might look so much better because of the angle we are looking at it. The sun seems to shine off all the curves of the body making them stand out more, i dunno its something but Dang it looks good :D

slker
07-02-2005, 06:51 AM
But on 4th of July BMW will publish the official new price list for autum 2005. We will be smarter then.

Anyone hear anything further on this?
Hope it comes out!

lilskel
07-02-2005, 10:18 AM
I really need to see these bumpers to decide to wait to put them on or get an aero kit now! they will probably cost more than the kit right?

x3drive
07-08-2005, 02:09 AM
But on 4th of July BMW will publish the official new price list for autum 2005. We will be smarter then.

So, did we see the new price list this week ?

Liverman
07-08-2005, 06:40 AM
So, did we see the new price list this week ?I heard from my dealer, who was inquiring with BMWNA on my behalf, that it will be "another couple of weeks" before the 2006 X3 and X5 model specifications and prices lists are released. My guess is that the X3 and X5 product line managers are arm-wrestling with each other about what feautures to put on each vehicle so they can differentiate between the entry level X5 and the top level X3 -

I had signed an order for a 2005 X3 3.0i for European Delivery in August on 30 June. I was told yesterday that BMW could not accept the order because they are winding down 2005 X3 production.:cry: I kinda figured I might be right on the cusp...oh, well.

They plan to start 2006 X3 production in September.

So now I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2005 out of U.S. inventory or order a 2006 for Euro Delivery...decisions, decisions!:dunno:

Greg

saloveku
07-08-2005, 10:22 PM
. My guess is that the X3 and X5 product line managers are arm-wrestling with each other about what feautures to put on each vehicle so they can differentiate between the entry level X5 and the top level X3 -

Greg

Can't be. They have to have plenty of lead time to design, source, fabricate, etc. any components on a vehicle. They wait as long as possible to releasae price and spec info so they can minimize the lull in unloading their 2005 inventory. The debates ended a long time ago, IMHO.

JG
07-09-2005, 09:45 AM
I heard from my dealer, who was inquiring with BMWNA on my behalf, that it will be "another couple of weeks" before the 2006 X3 and X5 model specifications and prices lists are released. My guess is that the X3 and X5 product line managers are arm-wrestling with each other about what feautures to put on each vehicle so they can differentiate between the entry level X5 and the top level X3 -

I had signed an order for a 2005 X3 3.0i for European Delivery in August on 30 June. I was told yesterday that BMW could not accept the order because they are winding down 2005 X3 production.:cry: I kinda figured I might be right on the cusp...oh, well.

They plan to start 2006 X3 production in September.

So now I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2005 out of U.S. inventory or order a 2006 for Euro Delivery...decisions, decisions!:dunno:

Greg

With release of the updated X5 models next year I think you will see a major price and feature gap between the X3 and the X5. X5 will go much more upscale. X3 will be positioned for a different market and user.

These directional decisions were made a long time ago.

Pretty much the same as the 3 and 5 series cars. Prior to the new designs the prices were much closer. Now there is a large gap between the top end 545i ($78k base in Canada) and the top end (non M) 330i ($48k base).

Liverman
07-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Can't be. They have to have plenty of lead time to design, source, fabricate, etc. any components on a vehicle. They wait as long as possible to releasae price and spec info so they can minimize the lull in unloading their 2005 inventory. The debates ended a long time ago, IMHO.You're probably right...it's probably just me trying to invent a fairy tale to explain the vexing delay before I can make my decision! :)

In the end, what I think doesn't matter - like Paul Masson and his wines - they will not release the prices before their time. :)

Greg

Liverman
07-09-2005, 11:33 AM
With release of the updated X5 models next year I think you will see a major price and feature gap between the X3 and the X5. X5 will go much more upscale. X3 will be positioned for a different market and user.

These directional decisions were made a long time ago.

Pretty much the same as the 3 and 5 series cars. Prior to the new designs the prices were much closer. Now there is a large gap between the top end 545i ($78k base in Canada) and the top end (non M) 330i ($48k base).I agree that the overall directional decsions for X3 vs. X5 were made a while ago. I agree with you that they parallel the 3-series and 5-series differentiation.

It is interesting that the 2005 X3 and X5 prices are very similar to the 3-series and 5-series (base MSRP):

X3 2.5i US$ 30.3K
X3 3.0i US$ 36.3K
X5 3.0i US$ 41.7K
X5 4.4i US$ 52.8K
X5 4.8is US$ 70.1K

So if I compare top end to top end, as you did with the 3er vs. 5er, I get $36.3K vs $70.1K - roughly similar spread to what you noted...and this is the 2005 MY designs and prices. BMW already has a huge differentiation betweeen the two top end models. I'll grant you that the differentiation at the top ends may increase, too.

What I am interested in is the overlap between the top end of the X3 and the bottom end of the X5. I got interested in that comparison because my ED order fell through and I thought, well maybe I ought to take a look at the entry level X5. Maybe I can get into a BMW SAV that way a little faster and maybe at about the same price. So I compared the X3 3.0i and the X5 3.0i.

The X3 3.0i and X5 3.0i have the same engine. The performance of the X3 is better because it is about 650 lbs lighter than the X5. The interior room is slightly better in the X5 for passengers, but slightly worse for cargo. Auto transmission is a no cost option in the X3, but costs extra in the X5. The pano moonroof is standard on the X3 and extra cost on the X5. And the X5 costs $5400 more.:dunno: The only thing I can see is that the interior looks a little nicer on the X5, the upholstery is a bit nicer/softer in the X5, the X5 is slightly bigger and beefier on the outside, a bit roomier on the inside and has the X5 nameplate. I freely admit that the extra 2 in. in rear seat shoulder room make the X5 more of a people hauler than the X3. Also, the X5 has a higher tow rating (6000 lbs vs. 3500 lbs) and a higher GVWR (and higher payload). My personal choice is that those things are not worth $5400 extra to me.

But it got me thinking - how does BMW sell the X5 3.0i when there is a X3 3.0i sitting right next to it that appears to give you more car for a lot less money??

I am not trying to bash X5's, I am seriously interested in understanding how BMW does differentiate and/or how they will differentiate in 2006 between the two SAV's at this overlap point. It is quite possible I have missed one or more crucial feature points that the X5 3.0i has that the X3 3.0i does not have.

This is my thought experiment to keep me occupied until I learn about the new '06 SAV pricing. :) Thoughts to add?

Greg

Liverman
07-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Just so no one will think I don't search the boards...I did find this old dialogue along similar lines: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47408

Greg

JG
07-09-2005, 07:30 PM
My personal choice is that those things are not worth $5400 extra to me.

Actually the US difference is much less than in Canada. Translated to US dollars - there is a $7,300 difference between the X3 3.0i and the X5 3.0i in Canada. Lease and purchase rates however are better on the X3.

I haven't compared standard equipment (metallic paint is a no charge item here on the X5) - and there are often differences between the US and Canadian models - but the X5 is more attractive in the US by a couple of grand.

If I were in the US it would be a very tough decision. Getting an X5 now might be like getting a 3 series last year, when a new more advanced model was about to be released. The X3 will likely not see too many changes until next year.

I have driven both - and I prefered the more nimble X3 (although the X5 is only slightly slower it does feel heavier to me and it sways more at speed). The X5 interior is nicer - but I personally like the X3 interior for beat-up-ability.

Right now is probably when the cost gap will be closest. I think next year the gap will increase substantially.

Now if we are talking about the X5 4.8is - then that is an entirely different story. I drove that as well and 0-100km in 6.1 seconds is awesome. That blows away the brand new E90 330i (well by 0.4 seconds :angel: ) and it is faster than the BMW 645 and Z4. It matches the 545i.

Pretty impressive.................for an SAV with all-wheel drive :thumbup:

saloveku
07-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Don't know if it was just my rationale for shelling out for the X3, but I did feel the X5 with the 3.0 was really not as repsonsive as the X3 3.0. And the 3.0 is thie only configuration I would have sprung for in the X5.

TasmanianDevil
07-11-2005, 11:11 PM
See my new thread "official photos..." from today !