PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is (front license plate frame)?

Spartacus_33
05-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Before I cut this off....... does anyone know if this little rubber gizmo serves any purpose?

LmtdSlip
05-19-2005, 08:22 AM
its the air bag sensor for a front end crash... :confused:

Nice socks and crotch shot by the way. :thumbup:

Ågent99
05-19-2005, 09:21 AM
:rofl:

Well, my car doesn't have one...could you sent me yours when you cut it off??

;)

BillP
05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Before I cut this off....... does anyone know if this little rubber gizmo serves any purpose?

Are you sure it is rubber? It looks like a cigarette butt they forgot to leave in TitGray5's car. Those pesky Germans can be so inconsistent.

Bill

Spartacus_33
05-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Are you sure it is rubber? It looks like a cigarette butt they forgot to leave in TitGray5's car. Those pesky Germans can be so inconsistent.

Bill
I am familiar with the thread that you refer to here BillP. That is COLD! :bustingup

yamilrx
05-19-2005, 10:19 AM
That is funny!!! I went to mount the ED plate and none of the holes on the plate match the ones on the frame. Should I remove the frame and just drill another hole on the ED plate to match the holes on the bumper.

Spartacus_33
05-19-2005, 10:44 AM
That is funny!!! I went to mount the ED plate and none of the holes on the plate match the ones on the frame. Should I remove the frame and just drill another hole on the ED plate to match the holes on the bumper.
That's what I would do, if it's legal in your state.

So what's up with this little rubber thing? Did you have it on your car? I think it's just some left over piece of rubber from when they molded the US license plate holder. :dunno:

530iii
05-19-2005, 02:30 PM
its the air bag sensor for a front end crash... :confused:

Nice socks and crotch shot by the way. :thumbup:

When i did ED back in 12/2003 i never saw that thing.

:gay:

Ågent99
05-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Spart, you know what I am wondering?

How is BMW centering the front license plate frame on the bumper? Surely they aren't eyeballing it or anything. Could that be some kind of centering device?

Arn, you took the front license plate off...any indication how they centered it on the bumper before drilling (nearly) irreversible holes?

arnolds
05-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Spart, you know what I am wondering?

How is BMW centering the front license plate frame on the bumper? Surely they aren't eyeballing it or anything. Could that be some kind of centering device?

Arn, you took the front license plate off...any indication how they centered it on the bumper before drilling (nearly) irreversible holes?

Eyeball as far as I can tell. Maybe there's some marking that I didn't notice.

yamilrx
05-19-2005, 05:46 PM
No, I did not have that rubber piece on my plate. I am sure it is a piece left over when the frame was manufactured. I'd cut it off. Are you mounting the ED German plate on top of that frame or is it not legal in your state. Here in florida it is legal.

Spartacus_33
05-20-2005, 08:16 AM
No, I did not have that rubber piece on my plate. I am sure it is a piece left over when the frame was manufactured. I'd cut it off. Are you mounting the ED German plate on top of that frame or is it not legal in your state. Here in florida it is legal.
Ahhh... Florida... I love your State! I visit every December (Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton).... Upon further investigation........ that little rubber piece actually pulled out, when I started messing with it last night. I think it might have been some sort of "thread protector" that they forgot to remove on that side.

At first I thought it was some sort of drain tube for getting rid of the water that might get trapped behind that ugly US license plate holder.

End of thread! All is well...........

Oh ya... Euro plate is illegal is Washington State. I have my front one in my office at work and the other above my work bench in the garage.

mrbelk
05-20-2005, 09:16 AM

Did they mount your ED plate to the US plate frame with screws or double-sided tape? When I went to take off the US plate frame on my 545 after I got it back, there were two small "proto-holes" that were created when they screwed the ED plate onto the US plate frame with screws that were a little too long. I just took a drill, routed out the "proto-holes" and screwed the ED plate right into them. The bumper plastic is soft enough that the screws will self-tap and thread in nicely (as long and you don't rout out the holes too wide).

When I mounted the plate onto the bumper, the holes from them mounting the US plate holder were completely covered by the ED plate.

I really wish that the ED plates were the same width as the regular EU plates, so I could use a proper EU plate holder. Oh well.

-MrB

yamilrx
05-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Did they mount your ED plate to the US plate frame with screws or double-sided tape? When I went to take off the US plate frame on my 545 after I got it back, there were two small "proto-holes" that were created when they screwed the ED plate onto the US plate frame with screws that were a little too long. I just took a drill, routed out the "proto-holes" and screwed the ED plate right into them. The bumper plastic is soft enough that the screws will self-tap and thread in nicely (as long and you don't rout out the holes too wide).

When I mounted the plate onto the bumper, the holes from them mounting the US plate holder were completely covered by the ED plate.

I really wish that the ED plates were the same width as the regular EU plates, so I could use a proper EU plate holder. Oh well.

-MrB

Actually now I remember, when I returned the car in Nice I had to unscrew it off so that means that I had a different plate holder that matched the ED plate holes b/c the one I have now does not match. But why would they replace that if the one in Europe was still not wide enough to hold the Ed plate. I might just drill one hole onto the plate holder rather than remove the plate holder and screw a new hole onto the ED plate. :dunno:

yamilrx
05-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Ahhh... Florida... I love your State! I visit every December (Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton).... Upon further investigation........ that little rubber piece actually pulled out, when I started messing with it last night. I think it might have been some sort of "thread protector" that they forgot to remove on that side.
Hey Spart, Next time you are on my side of town IM me before and maybe we can hook up to have a beer. I actually live near Ft. Lauderdale area. :thumbup:

yamilrx
05-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Here are some pics of what I finally did to mount the Ed plate. :thumbup: I ended up just drilling 2 holes onto the license plate frame and mounting it on top of it. I would have rather mounted it directly onto the bumper but I did not want to drill new holes on the bumper itself. I am worried that plate will get stolen, I know the young kids like those. :mad:

#1 freshly washed with new window tints added.
#2, 3, and Ed plate mounted

arnolds
05-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Here are some pics of what I finally did to mount the Ed plate. :thumbup: I ended up just drilling 2 holes onto the license plate frame and mounting it on top of it. I would have rather mounted it directly onto the bumper but I did not want to drill new holes on the bumper itself. I am worried that plate will get stolen, I know the young kids like those. :mad:

#2, 3, and Ed plate mounted

That's weird. My front Euro plate has a diff hole locations than my rear Euro plates. The one you are showing is the same one as the one I got for the rear.

arnolds
05-22-2005, 03:46 AM

-MrB

I have those Proto-holes too! :mad:

yamilrx
05-22-2005, 07:34 AM
That's weird. My front Euro plate has a diff hole locations than my rear Euro plates. The one you are showing is the same one as the one I got for the rear.
Interesting, that could explain why my holes did not match with the Ed plate here in US. I remembered unscrewing it off in Nice which means the holes matched and the front frame was different. Oh well!! Now resolved.

Spartacus_33
05-23-2005, 07:03 AM
[QUOTE=Spartacus_33]Ahhh... Florida... I love your State! I visit every December (Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton).... Upon further investigation........ that little rubber piece actually pulled out, when I started messing with it last night. I think it might have been some sort of "thread protector" that they forgot to remove on that side.

Hey Spart, Next time you are on my side of town IM me before and maybe we can hook up to have a beer. I actually live near Ft. Lauderdale area. :thumbup:
Will do....... see you in December!

sharmabmw
05-23-2005, 07:12 AM

nice windows. which tint job did you use?

yamilrx
05-23-2005, 08:01 AM

nice windows. which tint job did you use?

I got the titanium ones which don't fade or scratch easily, but I messed up and put the illegal ones. Ooops!! The guy told me I should be ok. The ones they give you a hard time about are the limmo tints, those are really illegal. It makes a difference having those tints, the car is so much cooler. 63% UV blockage(I believe).

pajama78
05-27-2005, 12:19 PM
joint??? :angel:

EGL
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I really wish that the ED plates were the same width as the regular EU plates, so I could use a proper EU plate holder.

I have an ED plate frame that fits the shorter plates (approx. 18 inches long) that I don't need. Apparently, the plates that you get with european delivery are somewhat shorter than the "regular" european plates. The frames that are generally available seem to be made for these "regular" plates, or replicas of "regular" sized plates. :dunno: Send me a PM if interested.