PDA

View Full Version : active steering

wagonman
05-19-2005, 05:56 PM
does anyone have the kahunas to admit they dont like active steering? it seems like everyone on this site is ga ga over it, when the car mags are mixed on it at best. i accept that the early versions of the active steering software may have had some glitches but am curious if there is someone out there who actually prefers the standard steering?

arnolds
05-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I have the car, I leased the car, I drive the car. I like active steering. Who gives a rat's ass what a magazine writer says? :dunno:

wagonman
05-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I have the car, I leased the car, I drive the car. I like active steering. Who gives a rat's ass what a magazine writer says? :dunno:
i am happy you like it. i agree that magazine writers often get it wrong. i am just curious if anyone doesnt care for it. that's all.

heezyo2o
05-20-2005, 03:54 AM
I've gone back and forth over active steering. It was never difficult to get use to, but I thought there was less road feel along with a lack of on center feel on the highway.

After the latest software updates, I really don't have any complaints though. Unless you're going to track the car, I'd say it's a worthy option.

heezyo2o
05-20-2005, 03:55 AM
Though if it was a stand alone option at the time, I doubt I'd spend the money on it. Without active steering, you do get renowned BMW steering, which I hear is pretty good....

KJen
05-20-2005, 04:09 AM
I don't like it. I can live with it in city and highway driving but not on country roads. Active steering gets very confused on winding roads.

i am happy you like it. i agree that magazine writers often get it wrong. i am just curious if anyone doesnt care for it. that's all.

wagonman
05-20-2005, 08:54 AM
I don't like it. I can live with it in city and highway driving but not on country roads. Active steering gets very confused on winding roads.
thanks. that is exactly what i suspected.

vern
05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
In the past 6-7 weeks I had a 05 X3 no A S---2 05 325i's no AS---04 530i no AS and after taking back each vehicle and getting back into my 05 530i with AS I wouldn't have another car without AS,I love it ,both at low and high speeds.
cheers
vern

Spartacus_33
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
In the past 6-7 weeks I had a 05 X3 no A S---2 05 325i's no AS---04 530i no AS and after taking back each vehicle and getting back into my 05 530i with AS I wouldn't have another car without AS,I love it ,both at low and high speeds.
cheers
vern
I'm with you Vern...... when I first drove an E60 with AS..... I thought WTF did BMW do this for? :dunno: It was very weird... I was used to my E39 with the normal BMW road feel.

I've been driving my E60 for about a month now...... and although I could live without it...(AS that is)... it really is nice. It isn't your typical "one finger to turn the steering wheel" Lexus/Cadillac thing....... it is definately still BMW steering, just more sophisticated!

hmr
05-20-2005, 12:25 PM
...Active steering gets very confused on winding roads.

:confused: Impossible. AS or no, one still turns the wheel until such a point as the desired change in direction happens. It's all feedback, no thinking.

vern
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm with you Vern...... when I first drove an E60 with AS..... I thought WTF did BMW do this for? :dunno: It was very weird... I was used to my E39 with the normal BMW road feel.

I've been driving my E60 for about a month now...... and although I could live without it...(AS that is)... it really is nice. It isn't your typical "one finger to turn the steering wheel" Lexus/Cadillac thing....... it is definately still BMW steering, just more sophisticated!

How are you enjoying your ride since redelivery? As you can see by my post with all the cars I've had in the past 6-7 weeks they have my car almost as much as I have.The new software is creating problems.
cheers
vern

Spartacus_33
05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
How are you enjoying your ride since redelivery? As you can see by my post with all the cars I've had in the past 6-7 weeks they have my car almost as much as I have.The new software is creating problems.
cheers
vern
Vern,

"As you can see by my post with all the cars I've had in the past 6-7 weeks they have my car almost as much as I have" :dunno: Are you saying "the dealer" has you car almost as much as you have had it? You've had multiple new cars in the past 6-7 weeks? :dunno:

beewang
05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
:confused: Impossible. AS or no, one still turns the wheel until such a point as the desired change in direction happens. It's all feedback, no thinking.

:stupid: I agree....

btw Kjen, which car do you drive that has AS?? :dunno: I noticed that you have a E46, and that car does not have AS. So are you speaking from personal experince?? or just reciting what the magazines says?? :eeps:

BillP
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM

I can envision a scenario where your statement makes no sense ...

In all left turns, AS cranks up the assist. In all right turns, AS leaves the assist low.

If that were to happen, you would have a darn difficult time driving windy roads.

Thus when someone says "AS gets confused", either believe them or ask for more info, don't say "Impossible".

BTW, I drove Agent99's AS-equipped 545 for a few hundred miles and noted no problems with AS - I liked it. However, at no point were we on windy roads so I can't speak to that particular concern.

Bill

vern
05-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Vern,

"As you can see by my post with all the cars I've had in the past 6-7 weeks they have my car almost as much as I have" :dunno: Are you saying "the dealer" has you car almost as much as you have had it? You've had multiple new cars in the past 6-7 weeks? :dunno:
Yes the dealer has the car,software problems since they upgraded to 16.2.
cheers
vern

hmr
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I can envision a scenario where your statement makes no sense ...

In all left turns, AS cranks up the assist. In all right turns, AS leaves the assist low...

:rofl: Is that right?

Thus when someone says "AS gets confused", either believe them or ask for more info, don't say "Impossible".

:nono: Now, now, Bill, don't be so presumptuous.

BillP
05-20-2005, 06:11 PM
:rofl: Is that right?

:nono: Now, now, Bill, don't be so presumptuous.

All I stated is that AS worked pretty well in my limited time behind the wheel. Thus I presume nothing.

Before you can claim that AS is fault-free, you either need to be in-the-know regarding its design or have significant experience living with it.

So, which is it?

Bill

casper
05-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I am not too happy with AS on my 545, I like it when it works, specially after update to 15.2, but it failed with no reason, the car felt awful and dealer updated to 16.2 and now is great again.

But I autocrossed an E90 330i and the AS felt a lot better than on my 545, I believe BMW improved AS on the E90, I wish they could upgrade my 545 to feel the same as the E90

beewang
05-20-2005, 09:24 PM
....But I autocrossed an E90 330i and the AS felt a lot better than on my 545, I believe BMW improved AS on the E90, I wish they could upgrade my 545 to feel the same as the E90

Casper.... :eeps:

You know that there is a "Physical" difference between the E60 and E90 right??!! :p

I am willing to bet that the difference you felt is attributed to the weight and size of each model rather than the AS. ;)

CapeBimmer
05-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I think it is one of the systems that makes the car what it is - along with active suspension.

I have a Cobra and my 545 is the closest thing to it that I have driven (handling). Let the magazines say what they want, the car is a blast to drive.

wagonman
05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
what a magazine writer says. but the assumption is that guys who test drive cars (lots of the) might have a clue what they are talking about. i happy so many like active steering. maybe someday it wont be an option-it will be standard. as for me, it doesnt work with the x-drive on my 06 530 xi touring. fine. i dont really care. i get the distinct impression i am not nearly as aggressive or (sport) driver as many of you guys. and, i am operating under assumption that regular steering will do me just fine.

stream
05-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I think AS is great. I've driven Porsches for over 15 years so I'm familiar with great steering, and AS is great. Low speed maneuvering is greatly enhanced, and high speed steering feel is also great in my experience. I also had a '00 740i sport so I'm familiar with the feel of BMW steering pre-AS. I have an '05 545i, which apparently has a much improved AS vs. the earlier E60's.

Many Porsche purists pissed-and-moaned when their variable steering ratio system was introduced this year on the 997. I guess that's the one thing consistent about change.

video131313
05-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I really love the AS on my car I have had my 05 525 for two months now and really love how the AS feels (also, have to love the Active Roll Stab. that comes in the Sports Package). Shortly after I bought my car my friend bought a new A4 and I drove it home for him, and all I thought about the whole ride home was how much I loved the AS on my 5. I also went to visit my family who have an X5 with no AS, and after driving that downtown and in parking garages I was so happy that I got AS on mine.

cheers
vern

casper
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
525? 168HP? Why?

Ågent99
05-23-2005, 11:16 AM
BTW, I drove Agent99's AS-equipped 545 for a few hundred miles and noted no problems with AS - I liked it. However, at no point were we on windy roads so I can't speak to that particular concern.

BillWe hit some twisties in France close to Switzerland but we got stuck behind some brake-happy Frenchperson so we really couldn't hit the curves too hard.... :(

Overall, I have to admit that I didn't even notice the the AS. I wasn't even aware of AS when I was driving the car around (geez, I was very uninformed about all the new features of the car...kinda bought it pretty quickly). Once I read about it a little bit (while BillP here was driving), I then noticed it...especially in the tight parking garages in Europe. On the autobahn, I felt very connected and sure-footed on the road. Works for me! :)

Spartacus_33
05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Yes the dealer has the car,software problems since they upgraded to 16.2.
cheers
vern
Vern,

To be honest...... I have no idea what version of the software I have. I took ED delivery in February 2005, so whatever they installed back then is still there.

I have had absolutely no problems. I have read here and somewhere else, (maybe e60.net) that many dealers have totally crashed the car's systems attempting to upgrade software. Although it might be nice to have the "birdseye view" NAV feature.... I'm a little scared to let anyone upgrade me yet.

vern
05-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Vern,

To be honest...... I have no idea what version of the software I have. I took ED delivery in February 2005, so whatever they installed back then is still there.

I have had absolutely no problems. I have read here and somewhere else, (maybe e60.net) that many dealers have totally crashed the car's systems attempting to upgrade software. Although it might be nice to have the "birdseye view" NAV feature.... I'm a little scared to let anyone upgrade me yet.
Take it from me FIRST HAND,if you have any problems that you feel you can live with DON"T get the 16.2 upgrade.I primarily went in for the upgrade because my radio kept coming on by its self.That was corrected but I developed a problem with BMW Assist.SOS Malfunction keeps coming up on the display.So far I was in for 3 days 1new TCU Unit still the same problem,it became a PUMA Case.Back in 3 more days again another new TCU Unit,still have the same problem.Rep came down car went back in,its still at the dealer after 7days and 3+ TCU Units.They said that they THINK the problem is solved and I'll know tomorrow when it comes out of the sleep mode.
cheers
vern

vern
05-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Got a call late today from the dealer that my car is ready and the problem is solved.I hope nothing else bad comes up from the 16.2 software.
cheers
vern

ayt1688
05-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I ordered the 325i on 4/25, with Active Steering option. Since i am new to this AS feature, so i did some researches. Motortrend.com got a review on e90 330i, here's the comments:

"On normal roads at normal speeds, the active system feels vague and gluey. At small angles, the self-centering fails, robbing hands of vital signals--it's too easy to wander out of a lane because the wheel doesn't tell your hands where the center point is. Taking long open curves is hit-and-miss because the precision is gone. BMW chassis chief Christian Auer insists these are artifacts of friction and newness: When the system is broken in after 3000 miles or so, it behaves properly."

I am not sure if that's the truth, but will see when i get my car in 3 weeks.

vern
05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Get your information from people that spend a LOT of time in there BMW with AS. Not some magazine writer that spends a few hours,(if that long), behind the wheel of a BMW and thinks he has all the answers.IMO I would tend to believe what the writers are saying only if they spend a great deal of time behind the wheel so they can evaluate whats going on not just to fill up the magazine with a article.
cheers
vern

CapeBimmer
05-26-2005, 07:08 AM
I agree with Vern. Other then the fact that my 545 is a fantastic F U N car to drive, I believe it is the Active Steering combined with the Active Suspension that make the car stand out from its peers. If you are used to driving a mushmobile then you will probably not like it though. You have to "drive" the car not sit back and wallow around.