PDA

View Full Version : Correct Tire Pressure for X3 3.0i (2005)?

Caesar
05-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Okay, I finally got around to checking the tire pressure on my 2005 X3 3.0i. Note that it came with these tires:

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinPilotMXM4.html?source=ta

The pressure was set (I guess by the dealer) at 38.5 for both fronts and 38 and 37 for the rears (I guess the 37 was a mistake -- my guess is they were going for 38 all around).

I use this electronic BMW tire gauge, so it should be pretty accurate:

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/photos/a00106503.JPG

I'm confused about why the dealer would go for 38 all around. The inside door jamb in my X3 reads: 32 fronts; 38 rears

The manual says either: 29 fronts and 32 rears (with a few people in it); or if fully loaded: 32 fronts and 38 rears.

90% of the time it's just me in the car. Otherwise, it may also have my wife and infant in the car (and perhaps a 100 lb dog).

So why would anyone even think of putting alot more than 32 in the fronts? Is there some advantage to having 38 in the fronts?

So what is considered the best for my situation:

29 fronts/32 rears or

32 fronts/38 rears or

something in between?

Does 38 all around make any sense at all?

What combination will give me the best overall gas mileage and comfort?

tonymey
05-20-2005, 07:02 AM
You will hear arguments that the higher the inflation the better gas mileage but the harder the ride. So on the low side you will get a softer ride but at the expense of a lower gas. So what to do ? I'm using 30 front and 35 rear, just to keep in between the lines. Other wise it's your call :thumbup:

pipo
05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
32f/35r has also been recommended by some as providing a good balance between comfort/handling/mileage. One thing I have noticed after 21,000 miles is that the suspension has softened a bit, so ride comfort has improved, and I'm happy with 32/35. Keep in mind that I'm talking about a 2004. The 2005s apparently have a slightly softer suspension.

JG
05-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm confused about why the dealer would go for 38 all around. The inside door jamb in my X3 reads: 32 fronts; 38 rears

The manual says either: 29 fronts and 32 rears (with a few people in it); or if fully loaded: 32 fronts and 38 rears.

I use 37.5 rears and 31.5 fronts and love the ride and handling it gives. I just came back from a 1500km journey through major rain storms, and all kinds of road conditions with a fully loaded vehicle (rear bench removed and the back filled to the brim with equipment and 4 dogs) and those settings were excellent. The X3 was flawless at speeds of 140 - 160 km in very wet conditions. They work just as well with only me driving.

I prefer the higher end settings - it provides the most delicate feedback from the road. I have no interest in soft mushy suspensions, as I feel they are less safe when at the limit - due to the lack of road feedback.

Try different settings and see what works for you.

Kretz04X3
06-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Not sure if you remeber the huge Firestone tire recall or not but a major player in the fact that the tires blew out was the low tire pressure, it gives you a smooth ride which is why Ford had the tire press at like 28-30 i belive :dunno: just something to think about.