PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Compatibility

Gaza
05-21-2005, 09:16 AM
My X3 (May 04 build) has Professional Navigation. I was under the impression that all X3's had MP3 compatible system. The single slot in the head unit doesn't recognise an MP3 Audio disk. The 6 Disc changer seems to accept the MP3 disc but when I try to play it I get buzzes and squeaks.

According to the RADIOPASS the Model/Type is PH8040.

Anyone else got an early X3 without MP3 compatibility?

Caesar
05-21-2005, 09:33 AM
My X3 (May 04 build) has Professional Navigation. I was under the impression that all X3's had MP3 compatible system. The single slot in the head unit doesn't recognise an MP3 Audio disk. The 6 Disc changer seems to accept the MP3 disc but when I try to play it I get buzzes and squeaks.

According to the RADIOPASS the Model/Type is PH8040.

Anyone else got an early X3 without MP3 compatibility?

Here's the story.

No model X3 with the 6 CD changer plays .mp3s.

A 2005 X3 with the regular CD player will play .mp3s.

A 2004 X3 will not play .mp3s whether regular CD player or 6 CD changer.

wingrove
05-21-2005, 01:09 PM
My brand spanking (see Rx330 post) 3.0L wont play them either and i tried a few different methods of burning. Just sits on track one for ages. Theres an outside posibility that theres a trick to the burning but it doesnt mention it in the brochure as others have said so maybe not. Dealer said it would though but Im findimg lots they dont really know that im teaching them!

Caesar
05-21-2005, 01:46 PM
My brand spanking (see Rx330 post) 3.0L wont play them either and i tried a few different methods of burning. Just sits on track one for ages. Theres an outside posibility that theres a trick to the burning but it doesnt mention it in the brochure as others have said so maybe not. Dealer said it would though but Im findimg lots they dont really know that im teaching them!

There's no method to burning. It is just a data CD -- not a music CD.

It is like dragging and dropping.

wingrove
05-21-2005, 03:23 PM
cool. Ill try it. Cutting itunes out of the process could work.
jas

wingrove
05-21-2005, 05:49 PM
dragged and dropped, now just want to drag the cd player out of the car and drop kick it across the lawn. No go. Tried data cds and mp3 cd's from itunes and also tried just dragging the mp3's out of the window onto a blank disk on the desktop. I seem to remember reading something about not having some kind of id tags or flags or some kind of extra data that mp3s carry or get burnt with that can play havoc. or maybe a brand new X3 just doesnt play them? hmmm
jas

Caesar
05-21-2005, 07:16 PM
dragged and dropped, now just want to drag the cd player out of the car and drop kick it across the lawn. No go. Tried data cds and mp3 cd's from itunes and also tried just dragging the mp3's out of the window onto a blank disk on the desktop. I seem to remember reading something about not having some kind of id tags or flags or some kind of extra data that mp3s carry or get burnt with that can play havoc. or maybe a brand new X3 just doesnt play them? hmmm
jas

Just noticed your location -- didn't realize you were down under, I think you have to turn the CD upside down and burn it as a 3pm :rofl:

rrinker
05-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Hmm, perhaps the Aussie models are differnt than US in that regard? My 05 plays MP3's just fine, I did nothing special, in fact I haven't bothered to make properly organized disks, I just made a quick and dirty one. I use Nero to burn CD's, so I just started a new data CD, and drug as many folders from my MP3 directories as would fit, no organization, I just wanted to do one quick and see if it really was true. Next time I'll actually take time to organize things, but I've been using the same CD now for a couple of months, it's got enough variety of stuff I like so it's fine, but I have some others I want to listen to while on the road so my next task will be to burn more MP3 disks.

Bobak
05-28-2005, 09:53 PM
The 04 models don't accept MP3 CDs regardless of burn method: Audio, Data. Doesn't mater.

The 05 does however. I have tested out both models...I'm not saying this from something I read, but rather something I tested myself.

lvchan
05-30-2005, 11:51 PM
are you really burning the CD using "drag and drop?" that is, are you using DLA (drive letter access)? if that's the case, there should be an option to "make compatible" which is necessary in order to play the mp3s. this is what i've read elsewhere in the forum. (i haven't experienced this myself; i'm just repeating what others have said.) you can do a search to find more details. my 2005 x3 had no problems playing mp3s. of course it could be the cd player itself. have you tried the mp3 cd on other players?

Bobak
05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I am getting my 05 X3 soon. I tested it in my dealers' car and it worked fine. When I mean drag and drop, i litterally mean it. I opened my computer, clicked on my drive and copied and pasted. Then I clicked "Write these files to CD" thats all. And it worked. It also worked when I used Nero (or other burning software) and selected create MP3 Audio CD. That also worked fine.

Caesar
05-31-2005, 12:11 PM
I am getting my 05 X3 soon. I tested it in my dealers' car and it worked fine. When I mean drag and drop, i litterally mean it. I opened my computer, clicked on my drive and copied and pasted. Then I clicked "Write these files to CD" thats all. And it worked. It also worked when I used Nero (or other burning software) and selected create MP3 Audio CD. That also worked fine.

Yep -- you don't need Nero or EZ CD creator. You simply can use XP's built in burning mechanism (which is what it sounds like you did).

It essentially is a drag and drop, because the file is already an .mp3 and is being copied as an .mp3. Drag to CD drive -- click on write these files to CD.

Bobak
05-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Yep -- you don't need Nero or EZ CD creator. You simply can use XP's built in burning mechanism (which is what it sounds like you did).

It essentially is a drag and drop, because the file is already an .mp3 and is being copied as an .mp3. Drag to CD drive -- click on write these files to CD.

Thats exactly What I mean

moonridur
05-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I bought my 2005 Z4 a couple of months ago and was amazed at the dealers lack of knowledge on this subject. The dealer did not know if the in-dash single disk player would play MP3s and had to ask the manager. The manager also did not know the answer and had to place a call to get the answer. An hour later, the answer came back as NO. They both claimed the CD player would not play MP3s.

They both thought I was joking when I stated that the deal was off and I did not want the car if it could not play MP3s. I got an MP3 CD out of my car to test and it worked fine! The dealers started claiming that it was such new technology that they had not had a chance to research and learn the new features!.

ScottLive5
06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
>> dealers lack of knowledge on this subject

yeah...my salesman did not know about it either!

new technology?...Ive had mp3's for years now.

Aabid
08-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Here's the story.

No model X3 with the 6 CD changer plays .mp3s.

A 2005 X3 with the regular CD player will play .mp3s.

A 2004 X3 will not play .mp3s whether regular CD player or 6 CD changer.

Is the difference between 2004 and 2005 a software upgrade ?. If so can the dealer upload newer software for my 2004 to play MP3. I dont have navigation nor premium sound.

ChiefCrazyTalk
08-22-2005, 04:56 AM
cool. Ill try it. Cutting itunes out of the process could work.
jas
Actually, I made an mp3 disk from iTunes and it works fine in my 2005 X3 with the regular sound system.

Godot
08-22-2005, 02:06 PM
When we got our 2005 X3 about 2 weeks ago the dealer told us that we would have to upgrade upto the Premium Sound w/ 6disk changer to have MP3's played. So we figured naw. . . .

I got home and figured I would pop a MP3 CD in and see what happened. . .and sure enough you have music. . .I called the dealer and told them they were full of crap for trying to upsell something that I didn't want.

She stated that she didn't even think it would work cause it didn't work on earlier models. I still think they are full of it. . .

lilskel
08-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Too bad it wont take a MP3 DVD....4.7GB :)

Godot
08-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Too bad it wont take a MP3 DVD....4.7GB :)

Have you tried it?

lilskel
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Have you tried it?

LOL Are you kidding me? I know it says BMW DVD Navigation but :yikes:

canadianbattery
08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
maybe you should check your player deck, see if you have the word, BMW Business CD.
If you have that it should play mp3 without problem.
I have 05 x3, it plays data CD with MP3 songs.

Godot
08-26-2005, 06:17 PM
LOL Are you kidding me? I know it says BMW DVD Navigation but :yikes:

Yes was joking. . .but I stumbled on the MP3 thing by just sticking one in. . . .maybe go into a dealer and see if a DVD will work on the player. . . . just in case not to screw up (if it is possible that is) your own vehicle.