PDA

View Full Version : Changing Color To Instrument Cluster...

BigO1120
05-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Is it possible to change the color of the instrument cluster, the color of the radio display & buttons? I've spoken to someone and they advised that this can be done but I wasn't sure to believe him. Is this possible?

:dunno:

MPoWeRMAN
05-21-2005, 10:37 PM
I have heard that it can be done also, but do not know of anyone that has had it done, if it can be done, I'd love to try it!!

LmtdSlip
05-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Anything is possible. The question is why would you want to?

BigO1120
05-22-2005, 12:08 PM
No particular reason...just to be unique. I'm actually trying to hunt down the user who told me this and find out if he/she truly did this.

MPoWeRMAN
05-22-2005, 12:42 PM
yeah, just to be unique, of course, it would have to be a good color like blue or something, and as long as its reversable, why not?

BigO1120
05-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Blue is the color I am actually thinking of changing the color to but before I could do this I would like to know if it is reversable in case I don't like how it looks.

pshire
05-22-2005, 09:00 PM
I too prefer the other end of the doppler shift, ie blue, and you can say all you want about softer, easier on the eyes, proven this or that, red is just to obvious for me, and i would welcome trading red for blue wherever possible. Still waiting for my X3 Mystic Blue, beige, aero kit, premium sound, Nav, Xenon, thanks for this site. paul

BigO1120
05-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Sounds like a sweet right you got there Paul...what's the $$$ tag on your baby!?

pshire
05-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Dear MoJoJoJo,
It was $44,742 for X3 3.0, Step, Mystic Blue, Beige, Birch, Premium,Xenon,Nav, Sound,Glass, mats, cargo liner, Aero kit - signed sealed and deilvered in late June, plus CA tax and Yankees' license plate($30+$350). paul

pipo
05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I'd go for the blue too. Are any of you former VW drivers? I loved the blue in my GTI: cool and softer than orange/red.

Desertnate
05-23-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd go for the blue too. Are any of you former VW drivers? I loved the blue in my GTI: cool and softer than orange/red.

After spending two vacations with a VW Passat, I really dissagree. Didn't you find the blue hard on your eyes? I found driving at night difficult with the deep blue lighting. To me, I had to turn the lights down to almost off to keep the glare for ruining my night vision. The orange/red color in the BMW allows me to shift my eyes between inside and out with no harm to my night vision.

Maybe it works in bright urban areas, but in dark rural areas, I found the blue very hard on my eyes.

climrgrl
05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
My bf's VW R32 has nice blue lighting. It's a bit of a darker, purpley-blue and it's not hard on your eyes at all. Actually, his has a combo - some stuff is red and some is blue. The X3 interior does look a bit glowing-red-lava-evil at night, but I don't mind it. :)

Rob V
05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Maybe it affects people differently. I've never driven a VW with the blue interior lighting but I can say that I have a hard time focusing on any blue lights during night time. Near my house there is a restaurant with blue lights outlining the exterior of the building and for the life of me I can't focus on the corners of that building. I can see everything else around it just fine but not those blue lights. It actually bothers me to look at it. I would imagine that it would be the same with a blue instrument panel....for me at least.

Desertnate
05-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Maybe it affects people differently. I've never driven a VW with the blue interior lighting but I can say that I have a hard time focusing on any blue lights during night time. Near my house there is a restaurant with blue lights outlining the exterior of the building and for the life of me I can't focus on the corners of that building. I can see everything else around it just fine but not those blue lights. It actually bothers me to look at it. I would imagine that it would be the same with a blue instrument panel....for me at least.

I had the EXACT same problem when driving the Passats in a very dark environment.

Red/orange/amber is much easier on the eyes, and in some scientific way you eyes see those colors better in the dark, hense the red night lighting on virtually every piece of military equipment, and the guages inside aircraft.

Kaz
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
VW blue makes me want to puke. I have to consciously turn my head away from the dash every time I ride in one at night.

Mr Paddle.Shift
05-24-2005, 09:53 AM
2 ways:

1. Replace all the SMD amber LEDs with SMD blue LEDs. Possibly need to replace caps + resistors.

2. Filter the wavelength of the amber light (~590nm?)source to that of blue light (~450nm).

pipo
05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
VW blue makes me want to puke. I have to consciously turn my head away from the dash every time I ride in one at night.

****, you ain't ridin' in my VW, unless you bring a puke bucket. Of course, I don't own one at the moment, so it shouldn't be a problem. : puke:

adc
05-24-2005, 02:02 PM
I really think it does affect people differently.

I have a hard time viewing those VW gauges at night, but my wife doesn't. I actually would not buy a VW because of that, it tires my eyes a great deal... :cry:

I also found it strange that VW used red lighting on the other controls - maybe because they are smaller and with smaller fonts/icons, they would prove impossible to read at night by all drivers...

Our 98 A4 has all red and we absolutely love it. Bright, crisp, easy on the eyes. BMW orange is also OK, but the instruments are not as legible as the ones in the Audi. :dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

Kaz
05-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Our 98 A4 has all red and we absolutely love it. Bright, crisp, easy on the eyes. BMW orange is also OK, but the instruments are not as legible as the ones in the Audi. :dunno:

Audi red is OK, but I like BMW orange better. Audi red 'bounces' too much for me, and like blue, doesn't have enough contrast in the dark. The M6's cluster is lit red, and I have to crank the dimmer all the way up to see it, whereas the other orange controls are too bright.

pipo
05-24-2005, 05:34 PM
It was never a visibility issue for me, just aesthetics. I didn't realize that certain people seem to have visibility issues with blue, and others seem to experience actual discomfort. News to me...

pshire
05-24-2005, 08:27 PM
I agree, it's a question of beauty, blue is peaceful, red is angry, to mine eyes. Interesting how personal colors can be. The question remains though, who would make the change and how much would one expect to pay??

climrgrl
05-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I agree, a very interesting thread. I didn't expect such emphatic physiological and emotional repsonses to color. It makes sense, it just never occurred to me wrt dash lights. I wonder if auto makers have actually done studies on the subject?

mysticbluex3
05-25-2005, 06:44 AM
I think blue would be pretty cool to have, esp. since the exterior of my car is blue. But removing the orange is like removing the bmw roundel, its kinda like a bmw treadmark. Thats just my opinion. Go with what makes you happy and don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks. It is your car.

Rob V
05-25-2005, 07:34 AM
..........Go with what makes you happy and don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks. It is your car.

Well said!

pipo
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Well said!

Amen. :angel:

FireFly
05-25-2005, 04:45 PM
When looking at blue or white light at night your eyes have a harder time asjusting to objects or other lights. When you look at amber or red your eyes can adjust immediately and this is why you only see red/amber lights on all military and uscg planes/boats/tanks.

It's not that you blue will hurt your eyes, it makes your eyes adjust when you look away (at the road) and this can cause discomfort in some people.

adc
05-25-2005, 06:28 PM
When looking at blue or white light at night your eyes have a harder time asjusting to objects or other lights. When you look at amber or red your eyes can adjust immediately and this is why you only see red/amber lights on all military and uscg planes/boats/tanks.

It's not that you blue will hurt your eyes, it makes your eyes adjust when you look away (at the road) and this can cause discomfort in some people.

Deep blue may not hurt the eyes, but some people have trouble focusing that light and therefore cannot resolve small details, sharp edges etc.

adc
03 330 ZHP

pipo
05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I like the blue so much that I have my XM Roady set to blue, even though it clashes with the rest of the interior backlighting. There's something mysterious, soft and cool about the blue -- maybe my attraction dates back to my black light/psychedelic poster days.

BigO1120
05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Amen. :angel:

Tell it like it is!!!!!